Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,298 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for reminding us you disliked it, I'll make note of it.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No problem.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Actually, my immediate thought upon reading your post was curiosity that it was going to end up beating out two movies who had WAY better audience scores than it did.
Beat40
FL_Ag1998 said:

Actually, my immediate thought upon reading your post was curiosity that it was going to end up beating out two movies who had WAY better audience scores than it did.
I don't care about audience scores. Most Star Wars fans are their own worst enemy. TFA, TLJ, and any subsequent Star Wars movie will never be allowed to be a good movie. Too many people live in the world of the OT and will always stay there.
Flashdiaz
AG
Beat40 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

I don't care about audience scores. Most Star Wars fans are their own worst enemy. TFA, TLJ, and any subsequent Star Wars movie will never be allowed to be a good movie. Too many people live in the world of the OT and will always stay there.
you left out Rogue One, which I think has been widely accepted by Star Wars fans.

FL_Ag1998
AG
Beat40 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Actually, both TFA and Rogue One received high audience scores, so yes, Star Wars movies will "be allowed to be good".

But whether you care personally about it, you're missing the question - was the Rotten Tomato audience score sabotaged?

Was the audience for The Last Jedi just that much bigger that it could absorb a negative audience score and still beat out those movies monetarily? I mean, one of those movies IS a Star Wars movie, so you would think the size of the audience would be similar for both Rogue One and The Last Jedi.

Or does this signify that an audience score is meaningless for projecting revenue after the opening weekend? Or maybe for just a huge franchise movie like Star Wars - people are going to go see it regardless of what the reviews are.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Or maybe for just a huge franchise movie like Star Wars - people are going to go see it regardless of what the reviews are.
It boils down to this.

Many franchises make money regardless of reviews. Transformers, Fast & Furious, etc.

The thing about Star Wars is it's bigger than movies. It's a cultural phenomenon in a way that very few things are. (And has been for 40+ years.)

So, a lot of people see it simply to not be "left behind" by the rest of society. Anecdotally, my brother is a prime example. He is not even a casual fan of SW, he just doesn't care. But I remember him telling me he wanted to go see ROTS with me back in high school simply because "It's Star Wars."
fig96
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Or does this signify that an audience score is meaningless for projecting revenue after the opening weekend? Or maybe for just a huge franchise movie like Star Wars - people are going to go see it regardless of what the reviews are.
I present Exhibit A your honor...

GoodOldAgs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You know TLJ sucked when people get insecure/butthurt over nothing
tamusc
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You know TLJ sucked when people get insecure over nothing
Nah, just getting tired of people who jump into the discussion just to **** on the topic at hand without contributing anything.
3rdGen2015
AG
tamusc said:

GoodOldAgs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nah, just getting tired of people who jump into the discussion just to **** on the topic at hand without contributing anything.
Especially when Spilner is just reporting Box Office numbers
GoodOldAgs
tamusc said:

GoodOldAgs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You dorks getting so butthurt when someone rightfully criticizes this sh*tty movie is pretty entertaining. It's okay to have a strong opinion about something and not stay middle of the road because you're too afraid of people disagreeing with you.
Beat40
FL_Ag1998 said:

Beat40 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Actually, both TFA and Rogue One received high audience scores, so yes, Star Wars movies will "be allowed to be good".

But whether you care personally about it, you're missing the question - was the Rotten Tomato audience score sabotaged?

Was the audience for The Last Jedi just that much bigger that it could absorb a negative audience score and still beat out those movies monetarily? I mean, one of those movies IS a Star Wars movie, so you would think the size of the audience would be similar for both Rogue One and The Last Jedi.

I am saying that the audience scores are based on immediate reaction. Initially, TFA was well received by most Star War fans. Then, in the immediate weeks after, TFA underwent weeks of intense scrutiny seemingly on a frame by fame basis (I know this is hypothetical). It was intensely compared to the OT and to fan theory/speculation. After that scrutiny, TFA was downgraded significantly, only the the audience scores don't reflect that because they were initially so high based on reaction.

I do agree on Rogue One. Most have accepted this as a good movie. However, this movie is not connected to the OT by characters (I mean main characters) or plot other than the connection of stolen Death Star plans. The characters were completely new and all died. It has nothing to compare to against the OT or expectations for certain characters.

To your discussion, I think as far as revenues go, yes, the audience score matters little for a franchise like Star Wars. People are hating on Rian Johnson so much for TLJ that I almost guarantee there will be little to no drop off in revenue with JJ directing episode 9. In fact, revenues for 9 will probably be higher.

My point is I think someone using the audience score to validate their claim that a movie is bad is flawed to a degree. There is some truth in averages, for sure. I just do not think it will be representative of the view of this film once the last installment of the trilogy is released. I was surprised the audience score is so slow. After reflecting on what TLJ is trying to do with the Star Wars story going forward, it makes more sense.
fig96
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

tamusc said:

GoodOldAgs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You dorks getting so butthurt when someone rightfully criticizes this sh*tty movie is pretty entertaining. It's okay to have a strong opinion about something and not stay middle of the road because you're too afraid of people disagreeing with you.
No one is complaining about people criticizing the film, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

This is more akin to attempting to have a conversation with vegan crossfitters.
Beat40
GoodOldAgs said:

tamusc said:

GoodOldAgs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

There is nothing wrong with having a differing opinion. People liking a movie is essentially a bell curve. Some are going to irrationally hate it and some are going to irrationally love it.

I happen to think people are being way, way too hard on this movie, and that's my opinion. I think it wrongfully undergoing heavy criticism. It is by no means a perfect movie, but it certainly is not the dumpster fire the haters would like you to think.

Do you think it was a dumpster fire?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not even close to confirmed, but posting just in case.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/898972/Solo-Star-Wars-Story-trailer-teaser-date

Quote:

A rumour has surfaced on Reddit that the first glimpse at the Han Solo prequel, with Alden Ehrenreich in the lead role, will arrive this Saturday; January 7.

There are two NFL matches due to take place that night, and user Risssk on the Star Wars Leaks subreddit thread has suggested one of them will come with the first footage from the film.

They wrote simply: "Wild card round, 1/7. No idea which game, but one of the two on that day.
"Teaser will drop at half-time."
And here's a leaked set pic from that subreddit:

This one is unconfirmed. Judge for yourself.

twilly
AG
Wouldn't it likely be the Chiefs-Titans game on the 6th since that's a Disney/ESPN game? All the other early looks were on Monday Night Football (ESPN).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Falcon looks pretty different, like a new toy. But then again, we've never seen the Falcon in its "prime".

I kind of dig it.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Falcon looks pretty different, like a new toy. But then again, we've never seen the Falcon in its "prime".

I kind of dig it.
Ha, the Falcon was in it's prime during the prequels. How old was Han, then?
The Collective
AG
Why not just cast Chris Pine if you are going to cast a lookalike?
3rdGen2015
AG
twilly said:

Wouldn't it likely be the Chiefs-Titans game on the 6th since that's a Disney/ESPN game? All the other early looks were on Monday Night Football (ESPN).
Seems weird that it would air this weekend anyways. There is already a confirmed Black Panther trailer airing at halftime of the Bama-Georgia game (on ESPN). Seems like Disney would want to give it more than a weekend to breathe.

Here are some upcoming national games that are airing on Disney networks:
Sat 1/6, 4:30 EST Chiefs-Titans (NFL, ESPN)
Mon 1/8, 8 EST Bama-Georgia (CFB, ESPN)
Sun 1/14, 9 EST Blazers-TWolves (NBA, ESPN) *NFL game will be over by this time
Sat 1/20, 3:30 EST Thunder-Cavs (NBA, ABC) *No NFL game
Sat 1/20, 8:30 EST Warriors-Rockets (NBA, ABC) *No NFL game
Sat 1/27, 8:30 EST Celtics-Warriros (NBA, ABC) *No NFL game

ESPN has some other NBA games on Wednesdays and Fridays, but I doubt they would drop it in the middle of the week if they actually want to do it during a game. It also would be strange to see them air a trailer during an NBA game anyways. Is there any precedent for them debuting trailers during anything but NFL games?
Liquid Wrench
I'm pretty sure that image is fan art.
The Collective
AG
They stuck a Rogue One trailer during the Summer Olympics. I don't think it has to be on an ESPN property.
TCTTS
AG
I heard "within the next couple of weeks" this past weekend, re: the first Solo trailer. So debuting with one of these playoff games would seem to fall in line with that.
TCTTS
AG
It sounds like it might actually be real now. There was a bunch of back and forth the day it was dropped, and Disney's official statement was worded weird to maybe allow some wiggle room. If fake, no one has been able to find any individual images each of those portraits might have pulled from. I'm back to thinking its real again, but "assembled" by a foreign marketer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The jacket also matches that set picture.
Liquid Wrench
I saw that Lucasfilms said it wasn't "official," which I guess is kind of vague.

It could have been a third party vendor jumping the gun. But I think we have seen fan art circulate pretty quickly before.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I don't see any correllian bloodstripes, kind of wonder if we will see why he got them in this movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fun fact:

Three Star Wars movies have been released since the last time the Cleveland Browns won a game. (ie the last time JFF played)
redline248
AG
They won a game last year
The Collective
AG
Maybe since the Browns won a game on a Sunday? There was some kind of weird qualifier on the stat that I heard (wasn't using Star Wars movies as the reference point though).
redline248
AG
Yes, the win was a Monday night game or something
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're right. More SW movies than Browns wins.

https://www.google.com/amp/thebiglead.com/2017/12/15/there-have-been-more-star-wars-movies-than-cleveland-browns-wins-in-the-last-two-years/amp/
FTACO97
AG
CJS4715 said:

Why not just cast Chris Pine if you are going to cast a lookalike?
FWIW, when I saw Alden in Hail, Caesar! I thought he would make a great young Harrison Ford in a young Indiana Jones role, etc. He just has that young Ford look to him and similar mannerisms.
MGS
So, how do they have A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing and X-Wing fighters when they don't use the Latin alphabet?
First Page Last Page
Page 656 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.