Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,716 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Only a couple days late. Twilly covered it several posts up on this page.
Thanks for the rep. Check's in the mail.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Your attitude towards Star Wars seems to be such a crazy swing in either direction.

A few days before TLJ you were calling for it to be a possible Best Picture Oscar nominee, after watching TLJ you were basically over Star Wars and said it was delusional to expect anything other than "McDonald's" from the franchise going forward, and now you're hyped about the Solo movie. (Which personally, I still cannot get excited for.)

Not a criticism, just very interesting to me.

The Best Picture stuff had nothing to do with my opinion of the movie since I hadn't seen yet. I was simply saying it might have a shot based on the Oscar field at the time and reactions coming in.

As for my "swing"/McDonald's reference, I should have been more clear in that I was referring to the saga movies. Rogue One was absolutely a step in the right direction in terms of marketing the franchise toward a slightly more "mature" audience, if that's the right word. Point is, it took a chance and broke from the mold and it's looking like Solo will do the same, only in a different direction. The two new saga movies so far have their merits for sure, but it's now apparent that there's a very constricted lane they have to stay in that keeps my expectations from reaching the levels they once were for the Skywalker story.
Saul Goodman
AG
As someone who has been very indifferent to the idea of a Han Solo movie, I would love it if this trailer blew me away and got me excited. I think this is one movie in particular that NEEDS a good trailer. At this point, I'll probably wait until the 2nd weekend to check it out.
The Collective
AG
If they are really covering the Kessel Run, I hope Han cheats big time during it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

The two new saga movies so far have their merits for sure, but it's now apparent that there's a very constricted lane they have to stay in that keeps my expectations from reaching the levels they once were for the Skywalker story.
It's interesting you say that, because I would say it's the exact opposite situation which is causing most of the commonly cited issues with TLJ.

TFA set up a lot of things that TLJ seemingly threw right out the window. But would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how this one felt constricted. Thematically? Plot-wise?
twilly
AG
CJS4715 said:

If they are really covering the Kessel Run, I hope Han cheats big time during it.
I covered it in the LEGO spoiler tag in an earlier post, but the set is called the Kessel Run Millennium Falcon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Crap, apologies twilly.
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Crap, apologies twilly.
No worries. It's all cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
High res.

twilly
AG
The yellow in the image has me wondering about the theatrical poster for this movie. Will yellow be a thematic color like red was in TLJ?

Also, Glover looks like he's about to swindle somebody hard with that look.
TCTTS
AG
That's a good point. Yes, TLJ certainly took a lot of chances in terms of plot and fanboy expectations. In that sense it wasn't "safe" and I definitely give it credit for that. But I guess for me I just don't care much about that kind of stuff and simply wanted more character depth / more meaningful character arcs. So much of the emotional backbone of TLJ just felt like surface-level fluff to me. I don't know Rey any better than I did at the end of TFA, I wish they would have had the balls to at least let Finn die a meaningful/sacrificial death after his pointless plot line, and Luke was honestly just kind of boring. Nothing resonated with me emotionally, and in that sense it felt like it was aiming only to "get by" in terms of character arcs for the younger viewers who don't know any better.
TCTTS
AG
That said, for the first time since I saw TLJ opening night, I'm kind of getting the itch to give it another shot theatrically.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I know I've drilled this point a lot on the other thread, but I really do encourage it. Even my own thoughts changed pretty drastically after the second viewing.
Ag Since 83
AG
I can't for the life of me fathom why this trailer wasn't attached to TLJ 3 weeks ago. Millions of people, interested in your product already, sitting in a theater. Many of them unaware that this movie even exists (remember all the confusion there was in the mainstream audience about what Rogue One was?)

But no, let's sit on it for a few weeks so that the movies don't steal each other's thunder or something?
Saul Goodman
AG
TCTTS said:

That's a good point. Yes, TLJ certainly took a lot of chances in terms of plot and fanboy expectations. In that sense it wasn't "safe" and I definitely give it credit for that. But I guess for me I just don't care much about that kind of stuff and simply wanted more character depth / more meaningful character arcs. So much of the emotional backbone of TLJ just felt like surface-level fluff to me. I don't know Rey any better than I did at the end of TFA, I wish they would have had the balls to at least let Finn die a meaningful/sacrificial death after his pointless plot line, and Luke was honestly just kind of boring. Nothing resonated with me emotionally, and in that sense it felt like it was aiming only to "get by" in terms of character arcs for the younger viewers who don't know any better.
Man, I couldn't disagree more regarding the shallow character-arc argument, especially if we're comparing it to the OT. This is a movie of "themes" more than any other Star Wars movie. I can't argue with someone if they simply disliked the story choices, humor, etc., but I would argue this is one of the most thoughtful of the nine movies. TFA was surface fluff (and I loved TFA). Rogue One had boring/shallow characters (and I like Rogue One).

Not all of it is executed to perfection, and emotional resonance is personal to the viewer. It wasn't until I saw the movie for a third time that the Yoda scene spoke to me as a new parent. I love and connect to the character of Luke Skywalker so much more now than before TLJ - I'm forever grateful to Rian for that. While others are forever angry at Rian for what he did to Luke. Pretty fascinating how differently we all perceive these movies.
Saul Goodman
AG
I'll add that I go into these movies judging on a Star Wars curve. I don't go in looking for a Daniel Day-Lewis flick, so maybe it is a game of expectations.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

That said, for the first time since I saw TLJ opening night, I'm kind of getting the itch to give it another shot theatrically.
I have a friend coming in town with a newborn (kid not coming with) and he hasn't seen it so I'll catch a second viewing next week.

I liked it more than most the first time around, but I'll definitely have a more critical eye after being a bit more detatched from the emotion this go round.
SeattleAgJr
twilly said:

The yellow in the image has me wondering about the theatrical poster for this movie. Will yellow be a thematic color like red was in TLJ?

Possibly.

But TLJ should have been blue, since it did so much.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
amercer
AG
The trailer for Solo better be the best thing ever, because I can't think of a Star Wars story that I would less care about seeing on the big screen.

We've had three young Han Solo movies, and they were awesome. We've had three prequels, and they were not.
Farmer1906
AG
amercer said:

The trailer for Solo better be the best thing ever, because I can't think of a Star Wars story that I would less care about seeing on the big screen.

We've had three young Han Solo movies, and they were awesome. We've had three prequels, and they were not.
OT Senate proceedings
Gungan - Human on Naboo relationships.
Rebuilding trade in a senateless empire.
Castaway on Ahch To
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Would watch all of those.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I believe it was Spilner that mentioned the Star Wars book Lords of the Sith, and I want to thank him (or whoever it was) because I'm halfway through it and really digging it. And I couldn't agree more - it would be great to see these Vader/Emperor interactions on the screen.

And the more I thought about it the more I felt like it would make a great 8 episode run on Netflix. And then it dawned on me...Star Wars, much like comic books in general) is ripe for a "duel universe" setup like what Marvel has done. You still want to be presentable to kids but you also have adults who grew up on your product and crave a more adult version of it.

Make movies that are "light and superficial", a "fun, shut-off-your-mind" time designed to appeal to a broad audience and rake in the dough. But then have a darker universe depicted on the no-holds barred Netflix. Where Vader can be the Vader we all want to see, etc.
Flashdiaz
AG
Disney is going to have their own distribution channel in a couple years... I'd be surprised if they didn't have a Star Wars series in mind to kick it off.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glad you're enjoying it.

It's Vader unleashed. Good ***** Had it recommended to me as well.
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Glad you're enjoying it.

Has anybody listened to the audio book? I'm looking for a new one to listen to.
Farmer1906
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Glad you're enjoying it.

Has anybody listened to the audio book? I'm looking for a new one to listen to.

I've listened to most of them on audiobook. I'd avoid catalyst & plasma. Have listened to Vader though.

Bloodline is my favorite. Tarkin & Thrawn are strong.

Aftermath series is solid. Apparently it's not nearly as good actually read.

Ashoka is up there too.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CJS4715 said:

Reveal: there is another Millenium Falcon and Han has a secret twin.

So yeah they cheated.....and we get Han back in Ep. IX cuz Kylo killed uncle Han, not dad Han.

amercer
AG
So can I be the first to point out that aerodynamics aren't important in hyperspace, so there's no reason for the Falcon to have a different nose?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
amercer said:

So can I be the first to point out that aerodynamics aren't important in hyperspace, so there's no reason for the Falcon to have a different nose?

How do you know that tne kessel run is (all) in hyperspace? It may be I just don't know.
amercer
AG
BernArnold said:

amercer said:

How do you know that tne kessel run is (all) in hyperspace? It may be I just don't know.

Unless part of it is through an atmosphere (or interstellar gas is REALLY dense in the galaxy far far away) it doesn't matter.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Thats what I meant....how do you know it is not through some atmosphere?

It's not as if the MF only flies in space. We see it operate in atmosphere all the time.

amercer
AG
It would take 760 million trips around earth to equal one parsec, so there would need to be a really, really big planet involved....
redline248
AG
In the old canon, isn't the Kessel run a path the cuts through the edges of a series of black holes?

edit: I must be thinking of something else...
TCTTS
AG
Pretty great thread about Luke's arc in TLJ. Still not quite the arc I wanted to see, but it at least explains why Johnson had to do what he did...

That said, this also reminded me how much I dislike Kylo's backstory. I really like his character as a whole, it's just that I STILL don't understand how he came to be so f*cked up by the dark side, or what was so bad about being Leia and Han's son or his childhood or whatever that caused him to turn in such dramatic fashion. I get that there's the Vader pull/connection and all that, but it's all so murky and whatever reasoning given feels so half-assed. In some ways, I wish they would have kept that part of Lucas' original 7/8/9 outline and had actually SHOWN Ben turn somehow. Granted, that might have been too Anakin-esque, and I get why Abrams chose to skip all that, but I just needed a better, more resonate explanation from these films.
First Page Last Page
Page 658 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.