Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,206 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Studios are stupid and spoil their own stuff all the time for the sake of marketing. Remember Wonder Woman and Doomsday in the BvS trailer?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Might as well mention now --

Starting on the 14th, please keep ALL spoilers off this thread until the New Year. The Last Jedi thread will become the spoilers/discussion thread until then.

The idea is that people should still be able to read this thread for general thoughts and spoiler-free discussion. Same as we did in 2015 for TFA.
TCTTS
AG
And just to be clear, no spoilers in The Last Jedi thread either until the 14th. Also, spoiler-free Twitter reactions from the premiere will be going up in that thread Saturday night.
Malachi Constant
AG
WE'RE GOING DARK FAM! AVOID SPOILERS AT ALL COSTS! KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN! CATCH YOU GUYS ON DECEMBER 17TH!
jr15aggie
AG
Duncan Idaho
Have we talked about Tommy wiseau wanting to make a star wars movie?
https://movieweb.com/amp/star-wars-movie-tommy-wiseau-wants-to-direct/

Ag Since 83
AG
I will not turn to the dark side. I will nahhhhhhhhht
Sex Panther
AG
Aaaaawwwwww you done messed up
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

There are some that really don't want to know anything and your post is saying too much IMO.
Someone who really doesn't want to know anything should not be on these threads.

Use some common sense. Complaining about TV commercials is ridiculous.

Spoiler paranoia in general has gotten ridiculous. Don't walk through Wallgreens or you might see a toy that spoils something for you! Oh no's! Don't turn on your TV either.

We're not going to babyproof the world for people who think everything is a spoiler; that's just a crazy level of entitlement.
Buck Compton
AG
Sex Panther said:

Aaaaawwwwww you done messed up
I don't know if he was trolling after the recent meltdown or just plain stupid...

Btw, I'm still in the camp this isn't a spoiler.
TCTTS
AG
AMW2010
AG
How am I stupid?!? I don't read 50 pages a day of this thread, it was new to me so I was asking a question, I was clearly in Jurassic world mode as I was caught off guard with that!
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mind throwing a spoiler tag on it?
Liquid Wrench
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Mind throwing a spoiler tag on it?
Shark, don't just stare at it, eat it.
AMW2010
AG
My post seriously got deleted... over a trailer on tv during Thursday night football?!?! You serious Clark?!?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Avoided it.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. That's insane.

If it's in a comercial airing during a nationally televised football game, it's fair game on a freaking message board. Nevermind the fact that it was literally released BY the filmmakers!

I get the arguement for spoiler tags, but outright deleting that post is uterly absurd.
Liquid Wrench
I have never seen official trailers considered "spoilers" on any other entertainment message boards.

It's a shame that the moderators choose to cater to a handful of complainers. People who come to movie discussion threads and complain about movie discussion should be treated as trolls. The Squeaky Wheel policy only emboldens a couple people while making others want to bail (again) on the Entertainment Board.

*and this will be my last post on it. Tired of seeing these threads get derailed every couple pages with the same debate sparked by the same couple of people, most of whom never contribute anything.
TCTTS
AG
100% spot on.

Screw this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

*and this will be my last post on it.
jokershady
AG
jr15aggie said:

Yo bro, please edit that post and let's take this to the other thread. There are some that really don't want to know anything and your post is saying too much IMO.

I'm fine with what you are saying and agree with some of your points, but just trying to be respectful of others. Let's keep all the TLJ debates on the other thread at this point.
Just couldn't help myself thinking of this scene when reading all this...

wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

*and this will be my last post on it.

Excuse me. This is now the approved Yes gif. I hope staff deletes you post

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Six days!

jr15aggie
AG
I'll just chime in on some of y'alls comments about "baby proofing", etc for spoilers. I'm not upset about your opinions, but it sorta pisses me off when some of y'all turn into internet tough guys.

The whole debate on this thread started from my post... all I was trying to do was tell people that some new details were emerging on TLJ thread and to stay away if they didn't want to know. It's called common courtesy. Not sure why it had to turn into a debate!

I never flamed the guy that posted the spoiler clip in the other thread and I don't see where anybody else did either. He appropriately tagged his post and it's fine.

The only issue I see is when we start specifically calling out somebody else. It's one week away, let's try and play nice. With regards to spoilers just be careful and if somebody asks that you spoiler tag something then just do it as a gesture a of good will, Christmas Spirit, etc. etc.
Farmer1906
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well said.

In regards to not calling anything officially released by the studio before the film a spoiler (trailers, shots), I don't get that. Not when I've seen way too many movies' trailers or ads and gotten way too much info about the entire plot or happenings from them.
Ag Since 83
AG
All I'll say on the subject is there's an Episode VIII thread. I think everyone knows there are people avoiding that thread who are trying to go in as blind as possible. So let's not discuss TV commercials on this thread.
An Ag in CO
AG
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Abrams addressed why he chose to direct the currently untitled Episode IXa decision that apparently made star Daisy Ridley cry out of happiness. She told the magazine, "Everyone was saying it was going to be Rian [Johnson] and everything, so I was genuinely quite surprised. And was like 'Oh my God!' and I started crying immediately with three people in the office."

Abrams said he previously had "no intention" of returning to the franchise, but he was too tempted by the idea of getting to close out the stories of the characters he started in the first place.
Quote:

When the opportunity presented itself to finish a story that we had begun with these new characters, to tell the last chapter of their story, it felt like there was a chance to do it in a way where we could go beyond, and do better than we did in Seven. I learned so much in that movie and I saw that this was a chance to sort of realize something that we hadn't quite achieved and part of that was it was simply the beginning of these new characters and their story. The opportunity to sort of take what we had learned, to take the feeling of who these characters are and what they are and give them a final chapter that felt in the spirit of what we begun? It was too delicious of an opportunity to pass up.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

TCTTS
AG
Unfortunately, it's looking like we're not getting a Solo trailer next week with TLJ. Unless it's going to be an unprecedented surprise, most trailers have to be registered by now. That, and Disney/Lucasfilm would have probably already announced it, or someone official would have at least hinted at it. Maybe we'll get some kid of special online release next week, but at this point I seriously doubt it.

I can't believe we're only five months away, still haven't seen a shred of footage, and likely won't until 2018. On one hand, that's insane, but on the other, Disney/Lucasfilm have shown a precedent of not advertising two Star Wars movies at the same time. For both Rogue One and TLJ, the trailers for each weren't released until days after TFA and Rogue One debuted on Blu-ray/streaming in April of their respective years. They're obviously not going to wait THAT long to debut trailer for Solo, since it releases in May, but it looks like they're at least waiting until TLJ has been in theaters for two or three weeks, if not longer.

So... maybe a Super Bowl spot on February 4? The franchise hasn't had a Super Bowl commercial since the Special Editions in the mid-'90s, but it would make since this go around. I'd say either that or with Black Panther on February 16. There's always the possibility of a January release as well, but there's just nothing worth attaching it to then. If I had to bet, I'd say they just wait and do a big trailer with Black Panther in February, and then another at some point in April. Hopefully we at least get some news relatively soon...

TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Call me crazy, but I feel like if any studio could keep a trailer secret, it's Lucasfilm.

Isn't it possible it's attached before the movie, almost like part of the movie itself, where nobody would know until they play it?
TCTTS
AG
I'm honestly not sure. The issue is that Disney is apparently already requiring Infinity War, A Wrinkle in Time, and Incredibles 2 trailers with EVERY U.S. showing of TLJ. That, in and of itself, is pretty crazy. So having FOUR required trailers would really be pushing it, even if the Solo trailer is literally attached to it. A lot of theaters only show four trailers with each movie, if not just three, and not being able to squeeze a non-Disney preview in might rub a lot of theater managers/owners the wrong way.

I know Marvel does it all the time - previews another Marvel movie before the one you're about to watch - but for some reason doing so with Star Wars feels different. It just hasn't reached that Marvel-level of saturation yet, with multiple films every year, to the point where they have no choice but to always be advertising multiple Marvel movies at once. I'm afraid Disney's/Lucasfilm's fear at this point is that seeing ANOTHER Star Wars trailer before TLJ would perhaps throw too many people for a loop, or shift focus in the wrong way, literally minutes before TLJ is about to screen.

But yes, to your point, I could ALSO see Disney/Lucasfilm pulling it off in some inventive way next week, so who knows. I'm just not holding my breathe at this point.
First Page Last Page
Page 636 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.