Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,456 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
there are these things out there in real life that are like Amazon, but they sell physical goods... I think they're made out of brick and mortar.. Like, you can just walk into one of these 'stores' and buy something and it's yours immediately. I hear it's the next big thing.
TCTTS
AG
I did this on Tuesday and it was amazing. More people should try it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But then you have to actually interact with people. Who wants that?
DannyDuberstein
AG
great post. agree 100%
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, bottom line is that if you make the movie TCTTS described, you don't get the character development of Rey and Kylo Ren.

I don't think you can make both of those movies at once. The biggest thing I always go to when it comes to TFA is the great new characters. And at the end of the day, that's probably the most important thing from that movie as far as setting up the future of the saga.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Totally unrelated to the discussion, but - this thread has 1.4 million views. Kind of nuts, no?

I hadn't even seen that.
The Collective
AG
Wellp, I'd say another successful day of armchair studio executive played around here served as a nice distraction.... Only one week!
Ag Since 83
AG
Given other things I had going on this week I can't watch it until the weekend anyway.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So I am watching Fox News currently where they are showing a clip of an interview with President Trump aboard Air Force One asking him about the Syrian gas attack. There is a screen on the wall behind him. He is apparently a Star Wars fan, with Rogue One playing. The scene was when the ghoulish-looking dude was telling Vader that Krennic had arrived.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, bottom line is that if you make the movie TCTTS described, you don't get the character development of Rey and Kylo Ren.

I don't think you can make both of those movies at once. The biggest thing I always go to when it comes to TFA is the great new characters. And at the end of the day, that's probably the most important thing from that movie as far as setting up the future of the saga.

As I alluded to, not everything I proposed would actually need to be seen on screen. All it would take are a few tweaks and maybe a couple extra scenes...

- Open with Poe the exact same way, meeting with Lor San Tekka to retrieve the map. The First Order attacks, except this is the first time anyone from the Republic/Resistance has ever actually seen them. They've only been rumored until now. And before being captured, while under attack, Poe is able to record and transmit a message to Leia - only briefly - relaying the situation.

- Poe escapes capture with Finn, same as before. Here, though, Poe DIES in the crash on Jakku, as original intended by Abrams, but not before he gives Finn a vital message to give Leia/the Resistance... The First Order is real and they're coming. Finn now has more of a direct mission, rather than simply being on the run. Not only that, but he's living proof and knows the inner workings of who they are and how they operate.

- Speaking of, I would have really played up whether Finn had truly defected or not. He of course really does, and has his come-to-Jesus moment, but there needed to be more of a question. Maybe this is all a ruse to get to Leia and they planned the whole thing, once they had Poe as a prisoner? Heck, maybe that would have been better had that actually been the case. Either way, there's a trust issue to milk there, and Abrams never did for some reason.

- Rey is set up in the exact same way, and her, Finn, and BB-8 encounter each other same as before.

-The only added scene in the first act would be one with Leia, possibly in front of some kind of Republic committee, pleading with them, delivering the news that the pilot she sent on a covert mission - Poe - has gone missing. She shows the committee the hologram recording Poe sent her - choppy and incomplete (in the same vein as one she sent to Obi-Wan all those years ago, only the roles reversed now) - but what truly catches everyone's attention is the brief, flashing glimpse of a figure who finally takes down Poe... the image of a Stormtrooper, something no one's seen in nearly 30 years. This entire scene could convey everything I was trying to get across earlier - Leia suspected an emerging evil, based partly on rumor, partly on her feeling it through the Force, no one really paid her any attention, but this is now proof enough for the committee to grant her a faction to further investigate and possibly even engage.

- From there on out, I'd get rid of that stupid sequence with the giant squid monsters on that cargo ship, and I'd find a way to make everything having to do with Han/Rey/Finn/Maz/the lightsaber less coincidental. Actually, I'd lose Maz altogether as well and just have Rey and Finn seek shelter on some nearby planet - maybe one Poe told Finn go to before dying, where he was to rendezvous with a cohort or something. It would be so much better with Rey and Finn having to go it alone for at least another 10 minutes or so of screen time, they run into trouble on this planet (could still have the cantina vibe and all that), and just before they're about to be toast Han shows up to save the day. Either he had been tracking the Falcon and it popped up on his radar same as before - OR - maybe he's the cohort Poe was to rendezvous with. And maybe Han/Leia aren't broken up, but rather Han has simply been on a covert mission of sorts.

- My only remaining issue would be to figure out how Rey comes to be in possession of Luke's lightsaber, but whatever I come up with couldn't be any more random than how it already goes down.

- Regardless, it would be super easy to keep the same basic structure and still have Han and Leia discover that Ben is now a central figure in The First Order, rather than simply discussing it after the fact.
TCTTS
AG
Weird. They took the video down. I was able to see it when it first went up, but that's odd that it's now missing after having been linked to from every site under the sun.
The Collective
AG
Tillerson; Mr. President, our target is set to Syria.
POTUS: Single reactor ignition. You may fire when ready.

TCTTS
AG
Pretty good rundown of what to expect...

jbanda
AG
If it were only that easy.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Ulrich
I feel like we got enough explanation for Han finding the Falcon. The Solo clan clearly has history on Jakku, Han lost his ship there years ago, Rey steals it in the attack, turning it on activated the tracking beacon. This is from someone who knows nothing about the books.

The reason I bother saying that is that once Han and Rey link up, there's your ploy to get Luke's lightsaber to Rey: Han has been hanging on to it for years. Maybe Luke left it with him years ago when he renounced the known universe and his role in it.

So maybe now Han sees Rey have the Force vision on the Falcon. The dialogue with the smugglers or whatever they are takes place via radio, and it's a space battle that begins unlocking her power (replacing the episode with the rathtars and the blast door). She slides into the turret and now it's Han giving Obi-Wan's little speech about letting go and trusting your feelings 40 years later in an ironic turnabout on the first ride we saw on the Millennium Falcon (cut to Han in the cockpit with a wry, reminiscing smirk).

But I also would more or less scrap the whole super weapon concept and go with a little more of a plot in the second half. Maybe start with a raid on a small FO outpost that uncovers evidence that the FO is about to launch a major offensive. Recover to the target, a regional capital, but lose a conventional space battle where the planet and its inhabitants are effectively destroyed with lasers and bombs.

It's not Abrams-esque but it lets you organically build in more context around what should be super tragic but ultimately gets forgotten when Starkiller base pops. Plus, you get to end the first act of a trilogy with something left to do. Finding Luke becomes a ray of hope instead of "and to top it all off we found our friend!" The next movie is going to have to convince us all over again that the FO is still a problem.
Farmer1906
AG
Ulrich said:

I feel like we got enough explanation for Han finding the Falcon. The Solo clan clearly has history on Jakku, Han lost his ship there years ago, Rey steals it in the attack, turning it on activated the tracking beacon. This is from someone who knows nothing about the books.

Uhhh what?
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Funny but I think that's the press watching.
TCTTS
AG
Yes, obviously. It was just a funny occurrence.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Weird. They took the video down. I was able to see it when it first went up, but that's odd that it's now missing after having been linked to from every site under the sun.
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/bad-lip-reading-star-wars-force-awakens-copyright-takedown-1202026108/

Edit: It's back up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly one week to go for The Last Jedi panel / trailer!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Work is slow today. Let's get some discussion going.

1. What do you want to see in the teaser?

2. What do you expect to see in the teaser?

3. Will Luke speak?
redline248
AG
They'll probably put a shot of Luke looking at Rey with a closed mouth, and have a voice over say "who are you," so everyone thinks he doesn't know her, but it's from 2 separate times in the movie...thus trolling everyone.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Luke ignite a lightsaber.

Probably no longer than 2 minutes. Some shots of Rey training with a lightsaber, Kylo in Snoke's chamber, and maybe Finn waking up from his coma. Defintely one shot of the Knights of Ren.

Luke, if shown at all, will be saved for the final shot. (A-la "Chewie, we're home.")

3. Will Luke speak?

Nope.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Luke and Rey with ignited sabers.

A lot of quick cuts, but mainly Finn, Rey, and Chewie. Maybe Phasma greeting Finn.

3. Will Luke speak?

50/50, going with a little something at the end.
Man, I really want to hear Luke say something in the teaser. He said nothing in TFA.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

3. Will Luke speak?
1. Resistance in some state of getting their asses kicked
2. Luke and Rey training
3. 1 word.
AliasMan02
AG
Luke speaking could go one of two ways.

1. They look at the impact him not speaking had on TFA and keep the ball rolling.
2. They decide "been there, done that" and treat Luke like a standard character and don't really withhold him.

I think for the teaser we'll see:

- The film's opening shot of Rey holding out the lightsaber
- Rey and Chewie flying the falcon with TIEs in pursuit (we'll later learn this is on the way to or from Mustafar)
- Ren getting utterly abused by Smoke (off camera) during his training
- Phasma on the hunt with a squad of troopers
- Poe and Finn and BB8 together in some sort of action sequence
- some sort of scene showing Ren commanding the Knights of Ren
- close with Leia in a dramatic moment saying "may the Force be with us"

I think the whole thing will feel like the Resistance is being wiped out and Rey/Luke are coming to help
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Signs that point to us getting an epic space battle

Snoke voice-over saying something involving "the last Jedi"

3. Will Luke speak?
I don't think so
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

3. Will Luke speak?
1. Force ghost Obi-Wan ( but it won't happen)
2. Kylo and or Rey training.
3. No, but he will do something with the force in the trailer.
Flashdiaz
AG
Luke will have a huge smile while he looks all around him in wonder.... camara pans out to see that he's holding something. They're power converters and he's in the Tosche station.... finally
Urban Ag
AG
Quote:

Rey training with Luke.
First Order decimating the Resistance.
Rey's friends captured and tortured by First Order.
Rey leaves her training early to help her friends.
Poe encased in carbonite because Snoke wants the Resistance's best pilot for a wall decoration in is man cave.
Epic light saber battle between Rey and Kylo/Knights of Ren.
Rey loses an appendage.
Rey learns the truth about her parents from Kylo.
Rey, Finn, and Leia escape on the Falcon and re-join the fleet.
All agree to meet a predetermined rendezvous to get Poe back from Snoke's lair.

redline248
AG
Gonna stir up tctts
wangus12
AG
Too many coincidences. TCTTS is gonna rip wholes in your plot and make it look like swiss cheese
First Page Last Page
Page 572 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.