Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,693 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There was a teaser for Phantom Menace called "Breathe", that just flashed some of the characters on screen briefly while the sound of Vader's breathing played in the background. I don't recall how far in advance that was, but it was greatness, and it really built the excitement for me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
that was for attack of the clones. I mentioned it 3 posts above yours.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I remember going to the movies as a kid and seeing this poster. I wasn't even a big SW fan back then but it got even me hyped.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/14/2014 12:17p).]
TexAgBolter
AG
If memory serves me right I think the first trailer for TPM was attached to Meet Joe Black and the second was attached to Wing Commander.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
the first was attached to a few movies, including Meet Joe Black and The Waterboy. I went to The Waterboy with my dad and brother because the theater promised to show TPM trailer twice - once before and once afterwards.

The next day it debuted on Entertainment Tonight with Mary Hart telling you to "take a ride back to the future". I recorded it on my VCR and watched it about 50,000 times.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS has already talked about this, but I'll echo what he has said. If Disney handles the marketing right, and they have a good film on top of that, I just don't see how this thing doesn't make at least 2 bills.

The campaign for this thing could be MASSIVE. I just hope it doesn't reach over-saturation levels like it seemed to with Avatar right before release, and it starts putting people off.

Tease people just enough to get them hyped, but don't spill everything in the posters and trailer. The poster above is a great example of how to handle this. Just have to figure out how to have the merchandise and toys not give away important plot details.
TajMaballer
AG
Video name gives away the punch line, but I remember seeing this as a kid and loving it! http://youtu.be/mYVb4OLk4NQ
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Looks like somebody cut way back on the blue milk!
double aught
AG
If this movie wasn't motivation, I don't know what would be.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I just pulled up Alec Guinness' wikipedia. I hadn't ever heard much of this.

quote:
Guinness's role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy, beginning in 1977, brought him worldwide recognition by a new generation, as well as Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations. In letters to his friends, Guinness described the film as "fairy tale rubbish," but the film's sense of moral good – and the studio's doubling of his initial salary offer – appealed to him, and he signed on. He was one of the few cast members who believed that the film would be a box office hit; he negotiated a deal for 2% of the gross royalties paid to the director, George Lucas, who received one fifth of the box office takings. This made him very wealthy in his later life, and he agreed to take the part of Kenobi on the condition that he would not have to do any publicity to promote the film. Upon his first viewing of the film, Guinness wrote in his diary that "It's a pretty staggering film as spectacle and technically brilliant. Exciting, very noisy and warm-hearted. The battle scenes at the end go on for five minutes too long, I feel, and some of the dialogue is excruciating and much of it is lost in noise, but it remains a vivid experience."

However, Guinness soon became unhappy with being identified with the part, and expressed dismay at the fan-following that the Star Wars trilogy attracted. In the DVD commentary of the original Star Wars, director George Lucas says that Guinness was not happy with the script re-write in which Obi-Wan is killed. However, Guinness said in a 1999 interview that it was actually his idea to kill off Obi-Wan, persuading Lucas that it would make him a stronger character, and that Lucas agreed to the idea. Guinness stated in the interview, "What I didn't tell Lucas was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo." He went on to say that he "shrivelled up" every time Star Wars was mentioned to him.

Although Guinness disliked the fame that followed work he did not esteem, Lucas and fellow cast members Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Anthony Daniels and Carrie Fisher have spoken highly of his courtesy and professionalism, both on and off the set. Lucas credited him with inspiring cast and crew to work harder, saying that Guinness contributed significantly to achieving completion of the filming. Guinness was quoted as saying that the royalties he obtained from working on the films gave him "no complaints; let me leave it by saying I can live for the rest of my life in the reasonably modest way I am now used to, that I have no debts and I can afford to refuse work that doesn't appeal to me." In his autobiography, Blessings In Disguise, Guinness tells an imaginary interviewer "Blessed be Star Wars", regarding the income it provided.

In the final volume of the book A Positively Final Appearance (1997), Guinness recounts grudgingly giving an autograph to a young fan who claimed to have watched Star Wars over 100 times, on the condition that the boy promise to stop watching the film, because, as Guinness told him, "this is going to be an ill effect on your life." The fan was stunned at first, but later thanked him (though some sources say it went differently). Guinness is quoted as saying: "'Well,' I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. 'What a dreadful thing to say to a child!' she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities." Guinness grew so tired of modern audiences apparently knowing him only for his role of Obi-Wan Kenobi that he would throw away the mail he received from Star Wars fans without reading it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In the original screenplay, Obi-Wan is only wounded by Vader and escapes on the Falcon with the rest. He is then around the Wheel of Fortune radar screen with Leia and General Dodonna while Luke is making his trench run and gives Luke the same advice, albeit just over the radio, not with Force mind waves.

The only person smarter than Alec Guinness was Lucas himself, who got all the copyrights for action figures, lunch boxes and other crap, as Fox didn't think that would amount to jack squat.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
that was for attack of the clones. I mentioned it 3 posts above yours.
Sorry. Yeah, that's the one. I thought it was for Episode 1, but I'm way off. Love that teaser, though. It's one of the best ever, IMO.
512Ag
AG
I've said it before and I'll say it again...Damn, I love reading what you nerds have to say. I sincerely mean that.
TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
it's days like these when i realize how much i know about star wars and how little I know about almost everything else.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker
mid90
AG
Indie Revolver is claiming they have images of Episode VII stormtroopers.

Link

redline248
AG
Looks super fake. Btw, why would there still be storm troopers 30 years after the empire fell?
TCTTS
AG
Article says the images are "representations." Saw a sketch online from someone who had claimed to see the same thing a few days ago. There's been enough buzz lately supporting the idea that these accurately represent the real thing.

As for the Empire still being around, apparently everyone who wasn't killed in ROTJ didn't just give up. Everything we've heard so far points to the Empire still being around in some capacity. From what I understand - and don't quote me on this - but it sounds like the galaxy is basically kind of a cluster*****now. No ruling government, etc. And stormtroopers are key aspect of the plot, as John Boyega's lead character apparently starts out as a stormtrooper, but then defects early in the movie.
amercer
AG
Uh, not to defend the vapid waste that was the plot of the prequels, but aren't stormtroopers supposed to be clones? And that's why killing them is all ok, and stuff, since they didn't have free will or personalities and yada yada....

So we are going to have one break free from his genetic destiny and?

Maybe I don't want to know.....
mid90
AG
I was thinking along the same lines. Shouldn't all storm troopers look just like Jango Fett????

But I think the counter argument to that is those were the original stormtroopers. Surely the empire has had new recruits since then.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. I read that at some point - either just before, during, or after the original trilogy - stormtroopers volunteered and/or were drafted/recruited/forced, etc. I think the idea is that the clone thing was such a disaster that they switched to "normal" people. We're going to get some kind of explanation along those lines.
AliasMan02
AG
some ST are possibly still clones, but it's unlikely that the Empire has held Kamino, so now relies on recruits.
AliasMan02
AG
Original ST concept:

You think that with a trooper-turned-Jedi, we might see this in the film?
TCTTS
AG
That exact concept art is apparently one of the inspirations for the character.
amercer
AG
So the recruiting pitch must be pretty awesome....

Come join an army of identical human shields designed and grown in a lab not to think, feel, or survive and see the galaxy!!!

mid90
AG
In Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Kyle Katarn did fight a crap ton of Shadow Troopers....

...essentially regular STs given force-infused crystals that turned them into saber-wielding STs

[This message has been edited by mid90 (edited 8/15/2014 12:07a).]
mid90
AG
quote:
So the recruiting pitch must be pretty awesome....

Come join an army of identical human shields designed and grown in a lab not to think, feel, or survive and see the galaxy!!! or else we'll burn down your Aunt & Uncle's moisture farm with them still in it

FIFtheEmpire
TCTTS
AG
Btw, I wonder if there's any chance the OT will be released in theaters next year? I haven't heard a peep, but that would be amazing. SW in Feb/March, ESB in May/June, ROTJ in August/Sept, then Episode VII in December. Then again, I assume Fox still owns the theatrical rights to the first six movies, right? How exactly does that work? Will Disney ever be able to sell a complete box set with all nine movies (and more)?
redline248
AG
One of the star wars websites says something about the empire using clones and normal birth recruits after gaining power. Who knows what is canon, though.
Urban Ag
AG
All those two ST helmet pics above need is an Under Armour logo on them and my world is complete.
TCTTS
AG
Looks like we may be getting some more answers come Friday. Dave at Latino Review, the guy who does the Friday SW round-up / scoop articles just tweeted this...

@Da7e: Tomorrow's S7AR WARS, guys. It's the one. The one where things come together. http://t.co/5MhBRin2q6
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
mid90
AG
quote:
All those two ST helmet pics above need is an Under Armour logo on them and my world is complete.

Protect This Empire.
First Page Last Page
Page 55 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.