Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,155 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't the Rebel Alliance collect force sensitive children? That was Ahsoka's main mission in the rebellion... Maybe Luke was training them...
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

I was meaning to ask, how much of the time b/w Jedi and Awakens is covered in book format? Is it "real-time" events, or flashback stuff? How much is Luke in the books, whether talked about or having actual dialogue?

Part of me actually hates that there might be useful info to some of the bigger items from the movies in books I probably won't make time to read.

Luke is pretty much uncovered in that time period except for the First days immediately after Endor (in Shattered Empire). He leaves almost immediately on the business of restoring the Order. We hear just a little about him second hand in Bloodline, but that's it.

A fair amount of time between Jedi and TFA is covered. The first days are in Shattered Empire. The first year or so, between Endor and Jakku, is covered in the Aftermath books (last one coming out soon) and a little in Lost Stars. Bloodline takes place nearer TFA.
AliasMan02
AG
hunter2012 said:

Didn't the Rebel Alliance collect force sensitive children? That was Ahsoka's main mission in the rebellion... Maybe Luke was training them...

She protected and helped hide them. They didn't collect them.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Ben was Luke's first student (or among the first), but not only
See, this is one of the things I was talking about. Clearly, that's from info outside the movies. How old was Ben when he started training with Luke? How many years after Jedi was he born? What the hell was Luke doing all the time between the end of Jedi and taking Ben as a student?

He was born a little more than a year after Endor. Unclear when he started training exactly but it seems it was about 6 or 7 years before TFA. Luke was out in the galaxy, presumably trying to learn more about the Order and rescue Jedi artifacts like he did in Shattered Empire.
NotGeorgeLucas
Did you guys see the new Star Wars title was revealed?
--
There are some movies that I like.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
NotGeorgeLucas said:

No. Tell me more.
hunter2012
AG
AliasMan02 said:

hunter2012 said:

She protected and helped hide them. They didn't collect them.

Collected is a strong word, rather they got them away from the empire.

Point being the Alliace was keeping tabs on force sensitive children whether they hid them or kept them at a rebel installation.
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

Ben was Luke's first student (or among the first), but not only
See, this is one of the things I was talking about. Clearly, that's from info outside the movies. How old was Ben when he started training with Luke? How many years after Jedi was he born? What the hell was Luke doing all the time between the end of Jedi and taking Ben as a student?

He was born a little more than a year after Endor. Unclear when he started training exactly but it seems it was about 6 or 7 years before TFA. Luke was out in the galaxy, presumably trying to learn more about the Order and rescue Jedi artifacts like he did in Shattered Empire.
So that would put him at like 21 or 22 when he started training, and 27-29 during TFA? Is his character supposed to be about the same age as the actor?
AliasMan02
AG
Let's GO TO THE CHART! Part of the chart, at least.

So in Bloodline, he's 23 and already training with Luke at his academy. He was sent away to train sometime prior to that.
redline248
AG
oh man, I love it.
AMW2010
AG
NotGeorgeLucas said:

No way!! What is it?!?
TCTTS
AG
See the Pitbull thread. It's his shtick, one that I was told is "funny."
Simplebay
AG
TC can I get in on that $100 giveaway? I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin....

TFA had a title reveal 2 weeks before the first teaser trailer. The Super Bowl is 2 weeks away.
AMW2010
AG
I was speculating a teaser during the super bowl... I was wondering what other trailers we'll see if any... I still remember a super bowl when I was young and it had the lost world teaser, before there was internet... I lost my mind!!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Mark Hamill shaved? Not in Episode IX? .... also he's looking alot like Mr. Miagi
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

There's A LOT of chatter that Vader's castle was introduced in Rogue One partly because of Episode VIII. I wouldn't be surprised if either Rey or Kylo end up there at some point.
Been thinking about places we may well see in TLJ or Episode IX, based on buildup we've been seeing from other sources.

1. Mustafar, as suggested by TCTTS and others in this thread. I personally guess that a subplot of the collection of Dark Side relics will play into a portion of Kylo's story. I think that's where Del Toro figures in, as a collector/admirer/cultist of sorts of the Sith. It also seems a possible source for Rey to find her lightsaber Kyber, and I'm certain that we'll get a HEAVY dose of lore about constructing a lightsaber this time around. It's also notable that many of the most advanced First Order capital ship weapons utilize Kyber.

2. New Alderaan (or whatever they are calling it), the space station built where Alderaan once was as a home to Alderaani refugees. They are New Republic members, or at least were at the time of Aftermath: Life Debt. If Laura Dern is playing Evaan Verlaine as some have suggested, this would be a natural fit because Evaan is an important political ally and spokesperson for Alderaan. It would make sense if she were its Senator in 34 ABY.

3. Nar Shaddaa, aka Smuggler's Moon. This (or Ord Mantell) may be a better fit for the Solo film, but it's been a reoccurring location in the expanded canon, both in the comics and in Aftermath: Life Debt. Ord Mantell has the added advantage of being mentioned in Empire, therefore relating more directly to the films.

4. Coruscant. Obviously a place of great import for the Skywalkers, as well as both Jedi and Sith, as the Jedi Temple there was built over an older Sith Temple. Coruscant, while no longer the central world for the Republic, was handed over to the Republic as a member world by the Imperial Remnant (an entity separate from, but undoubtedly connected to, the First Order) as a part of their peace treaty. The Remnant is made up of a relative handful of Core Worlds. With the Republic crippled (though not outright destroyed) by the First Order, it would make sense that Coruscant would suddenly come back into play for others. Coruscant got a hefty amount of attention in Life Debt and Catalyst and got a small cameo in Rogue One.
The Collective
AG
Quote:

I think that's where Del Toro figures in, as a collector

redline248
AG
Exactly what I thought (as I'm sure others did)
TCTTS
AG
Simplebay said:

TC can I get in on that $100 giveaway? I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin....

TFA had a title reveal 2 weeks before the first teaser trailer. The Super Bowl is 2 weeks away.

Ha, I'm not that dumb.

Look, I will say that it's a bit strange that they chose to announce the title on a Monday in January, right in the middle of Sundance (where a huge chunk of Hollywood is right now), and a day before the Oscar nominations are announced. Seems like a really crowded news cycle to stuff that announcement into. My original guess was always February, followed by the first trailer at Celebration in April (which, again, Kennedy all but confirmed a few weeks back), but I guess anything is possible, all things considered.

That said, the franchise itself has never had a tried-and-true Super Bowl commercial, save for a few, select tie-in spots with Taco Bell, Volkswagen, etc. And Disney does have a history of official announcements in late January, so it could just be following suit for whatever reason...

January 25, 2013 - Official announcement of Abrams as the Episode VII director:
http://deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie-for-disney-412064/

January 20, 2016 - Official announcement of Episode VIII release date change:
http://deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie-for-disney-412064/

Further, I just can't see Disney choosing the Super Bowl to debut the first footage, when they still have Beaty and the Beast, Pirates 5, Cars 3, and THREE Marvel movies ALL hitting before TLJ. That, and I can't recall a single Super Bowl spot for a movie 11 months out, ever. They're almost exclusively reserved for big spring/summer movies.

Anyway, yes, technically, it could happen, I just wouldn't hold your breath.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well, the teaser for TFA came Thanksgiving of 2014 and R1 hype/discussion is pretty much over.....

If Lucasfilm/Disney were wanting to make a splash, the Super Bowl would be a pretty big "Remember this is coming this Christmas" type of thing.
TCTTS
AG
The TFA Thanksgiving teaser thing 13 months out was likely a one-time thing. A) there was obsviously no other SW movie about to come out that December, and B) it was almost more of a teaser to say, "Hey, STAR WARS - the franchise - is back" rather than an advertisement solely for the movie itself.

Either way, there's absolutely no need to make a TLJ splash this early. Everyone and their dog knows a new Star Wars movie is coming in December, and the Rogue One release cycle is technically still in effect. Not only is it still in theaters, but they haven't even announced the digital/Blu-ray date yet. The first Rogue One trailer hit two days after TFA finally hit store shelves, and I'd expect nearly the same pattern again this year.
Beat40
I think for obvious reasons Disney would not allow Rey to turn to the dark side. It would certainly be interesting as some have suggested.

Let's say they did allow Rey to turn to the dark side, would the movie in which she turned be the most hated Star Wars movie by the casual Star Wars movie goer?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Well, the teaser for TFA came Thanksgiving of 2014 and R1 hype/discussion is pretty much over.....

If Lucasfilm/Disney were wanting to make a splash, the Super Bowl would be a pretty big "Remember this is coming this Christmas" type of thing.
But they don't need to pay Super Bowl rates for nearly the same effect - their trailers go viral for free.
Flashdiaz
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

But they don't need to pay Super Bowl rates for nearly the same effect - their trailers go viral for free.
exactly, and they would have to compete with the other commercials at the same time.

They'll release it later so it gets maximum exposure when it airs and to hit all the news and other entertainment shows.
AgMarauder04
AG
Thanks a lot, Captain Wet Blanket.
redline248
AG
Beat40 said:

I think for obvious reasons Disney would not allow Rey to turn to the dark side. It would certainly be interesting as some have suggested.

Let's say they did allow Rey to turn to the dark side, would the movie in which she turned be the most hated Star Wars movie by the casual Star Wars movie goer?
There could be legitimate scenarios in which she turns that doesn't piss off 100% of viewers. Like, say Kylo tells her that Luke is the reason her parents dumped her on Jakku, and then he sent them on a mission that ended with them dead, so they couldn't come back for her. People might not like it, but think "ok, I get it."

However, Rey is a role model for millions of little girls, now...and it ain't happening (as you said).
Farmer1906
AG
Its happening.
TCTTS
AG
I don't see Rey fully going to the dark side, but I could definitely see her struggle with the choice at some point.
israeliag
AG
What if Luke's gone dark (or struggles mightily with the dark side)? It happened to his dad, and maybe that's why he secluded himself?
Ag Since 83
AG
Lucasfilm doesn't have to spend Super Bowl commercial rates to generate buzz.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't see Rey fully going to the dark side, but I could definitely see her struggle with the choice at some point.
I like the idea posted above that Kylo may make some great reveal to Rey that Luke had a hand in her parents dumping her on Jakku and ultimately decisions made that lead to ther death. And surely they are dead as Maz said what she was looking for was never coming back. In that light I can see an emotionally charged Rey leaving Luke. Thus episode VIII ends with Luke alone as the Last Jedi. Episode IX Rey convinces Kylo to turn against Snoke, they take him down, Kylo dies in the process and (somewhat) redeems himself. Happy happy joy joy.
israeliag
AG
israeliag said:

What if Luke's gone dark (or struggles mightily with the dark side)? It happened to his dad, and maybe that's why he secluded himself?
I'm going to build on this: Luke's not just abandoned restoring the Jedi Order but tries to end the Jedi and Sith lines once and for all (bring balance to the force?). He refuses to train Rey, therefore he is the last Jedi. Rey is thus again abandoned, which would be interesting for the plot. Does she go to Ren? To Leia?
TCTTS
AG
I really dig this basic idea. Honestly, I don't need to watch another wise old Jedi train another apprentice. We've been there done that. I want them to shake it up somehow, and this would be a cool way to do that. I also really like the idea of Rey being abandoned yet again ("like" it in terms of narrative, not that I actually want her to be abandoned again).
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

I really dig this basic idea. Honestly, I don't need to watch another wise old Jedi train another apprentice. We've been there done that. I want them to shake it up somehow, and this would be a cool way to do that. I also really like the idea of Rey being abandoned yet again ("like" it in terms of narrative, not that I actually want her to be abandoned again).

If there is no training montage on a swamp planet with Rey carrying Luke on her back I will be severely disappointed!!!!
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

This. Pleas shake it up. I think the thing about TFA that ultimately left people feeling kind of hollow about it was coming to terms with the fact that we'd literally seen all of this before and in some cases twice. The more you think about it the more annoying it becomes.
First Page Last Page
Page 541 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.