Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,505 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spoilers?

I haven't seen it yet, so I'd rather not know one way or the other. But you might want to edit some of that.
Dro07
AG
You can't post that from the spoiler thread bruh
The Collective
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

fixed sorry...personally i avoided this thread or any boards until i had seen it logically - but yeah

whats the statute of limitations though....cuz this is SW discussion thereby it is full of spoilers on every other movie right? i mean i wouldn't expect this to be spoiler free...but maybe thats just me.
The Collective
AG
Jan 1 - this thread is considered fair game for all R1 discussion.
jbanda
AG
That's fair.
hurleyag
AG
I thought he killed him so that he couldn't reveal to the empire the information he just passed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Aggrad08
AG
Just saw it.

"Breathing"
"Breathing "
"red lightsaber"
Erection
Flashdiaz
AG
and this is why I saw it opening day....

if you haven't seen it and want to stay spoiler free... don't come back to this thread.
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

and this is why I saw it opening day....

if you haven't seen it and want to stay spoiler free... don't come back to this thread.

I think it's right to not post spoilers here, but if you haven't seen it and are hanging out on this thread - you are playing with fire.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can you put a spoiler tag on the third thing? I'm sure anyone that cares has seen it by now, but we did say Jan 1.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Can you put a spoiler tag on the third thing? I'm sure anyone that cares has seen it by now, but we did say Jan 1.

technically the 4th thing is a spoiler too
SwigAg11
AG
Is IMAX 3D worth it for Rogue One? Wife and I are seeing it tomorrow night and we are trying to decide on a showing.
Dro07
AG
Heard that 3D isn't worth it
Jim01
AG
Avoid 3D. I saw it in both this weekend and 2D is much better.
Aggrad08
AG
fixed
Duncan Idaho
I just want to remind everyone that this was made.

TCTTS
AG
EDIT: Sorry, meant to post in the spoiler thread.
AliasMan02
AG
So, to step away from RO talk for a bit, I have a question about the franchise and the saga films.

Do all saga films have to move forward? If they wanted to do Episides 10 through 12 in the days of the Sith Empire before the Republic, could they? Or maybe 10 through 12 jump ahead 100 years and then 13 picks up in the interim?

Just wondering how that would go over.
TCTTS
AG
Through Episode IX, saga films = Skywalker films. After 2019, who knows what they'll do or what, exactly, a saga film will be. But yeah, I have a feeling they're going to have to diverge from the Skywalkers at some point, and whenever that happens, when/where a saga film takes place could likely be anywhere.
M.C. Swag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

So, to step away from RO talk for a bit, I have a question about the franchise and the saga films.

Do all saga films have to move forward? If they wanted to do Episides 10 through 12 in the days of the Sith Empire before the Republic, could they? Or maybe 10 through 12 jump ahead 100 years and then 13 picks up in the interim?

Just wondering how that would go over.
I think they absolutely should and probably will make movies set in a time prior to the Republic. Whether they'd be Saga films or separate anthology one-offs, no clue. Narratively, I would think that new episodes (10, 11, 12, etc) should continue to move the story FORWARD and label films in the past as something else. That's just my opinion though.

EDIT: I too would like to see them move past the Skywalkers and think they could do so without having to go backwards in time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My biggest worry going forward is over-saturation. As long as the quality stays high, then I'm all for new Star Wars. But don't just crank them out. And at some point, casual audiences will likely tire of the franchise. They'll probably need to take an extended break at that point, let the franchise breathe a little bit.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My biggest worry going forward is over-saturation. As long as the quality stays high, then I'm all for new Star Wars. But don't just crank them out. And at some point, casual audiences will likely tire of the franchise. They'll probably need to take an extended break at that point, let the franchise breathe a little bit.

I might have agreed a few years ago but the MCU makes not now. There isn't a significant number of people sick superhero movies and we get 2-3 MCU a year plus even bad DCU & Xmen movies on top of that.
AliasMan02
AG
Dp
AliasMan02
AG
I think the key to this is eventually having totally unrelated stories. Do a horror movie about some slaves trying to escape a spice mine (or whatever) that has zero ties to the main story arc. Or do a standalone movie about three Jedi we don't know on a random mission to some random planet. Do a noir detective story on level 1313. Follow some treasure hunters as they pursue a lead on Felucia.

Just make good movies that work in the Star Wars universe. Think about the advantages on working in an established setting. You don't have to spend a bunch of time explaining the culture of this alien and that you can't understand what he says... it's just a Wookie, and you move on with the story. You don't have to explain how interstellar travel works... you just jump to hyperspace and everyone gets it.
hurleyag
AG
I just hope they don't try to fit Easter eggs into every stand alone movie like they did in Rogue One.
TCTTS
AG
Hmmm. Don't quite know how I feel about this. Real puppets are a plus, but this could all get cheesy in a hurry (slight spoilers but not really)...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/12/rumors-star-wars-episode-viii-and-the-protectors-of-ahch-to/
Malachi Constant
AG
Stolen from Reddit. Maybe we will get the Ep. 8 title sooner than we think?

AliasMan02
AG
hurleyag said:

I just hope they don't try to fit Easter eggs into every stand alone movie like they did in Rogue One.

There will always be some, but they can be artfully done. Marvel does it well.
redline248
AG
I agree that unrelated stories/characters would be a good thing, but I think there has to be some criteria. For example, in your suggestions I don't think a movie about random Joes escaping a monster or murderer set in the Star Wars galaxy is good enough. I could just watch Riddick. I think there has to be conflict of good vs evil as it relates to the force. Doesn't necessarily have to be Jedi vs Sith..at least not on a large scale.
AliasMan02
AG
It's funny that Star Wars Riddick is exactly what I was thinking.

There will inevitably be tie-ins to familiar things that make it Star Wars. The Force being a main example, but it could be other things. Mostly what I fear is they catch the EU disease of trying to write an epic and important story for every creature in Mos Eisley.
hurleyag
AG
I agree that small ones can be artfully done, but there are some that leave you wondering why they were there.

Take in Rogue One having Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba on Jedha was a little ridiculous in my opinion.

Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Hmmm. Don't quite know how I feel about this. Real puppets are a plus, but this could all get cheesy in a hurry (slight spoilers but not really)...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/12/rumors-star-wars-episode-viii-and-the-protectors-of-ahch-to/

I know how I feel about that....It it sounds ****ing awful
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Someone tell Rian Johnson to give up the weed brownies.
First Page Last Page
Page 526 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.