Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,955 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Do a noir detective story on level 1313.
God rest its soul
Saul Goodman
AG
TCTTS said:

Hmmm. Don't quite know how I feel about this. Real puppets are a plus, but this could all get cheesy in a hurry (slight spoilers but not really)...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/12/rumors-star-wars-episode-viii-and-the-protectors-of-ahch-to/

Gulp. Not going to lie, on the surface, that sounds stupid AF. I'll hold out hope that this rumor isn't true or that they somehow make it work.
Flashdiaz
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

TCTTS said:

Hmmm. Don't quite know how I feel about this. Real puppets are a plus, but this could all get cheesy in a hurry (slight spoilers but not really)...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/12/rumors-star-wars-episode-viii-and-the-protectors-of-ahch-to/

I know how I feel about that....It it sounds ****ing awful
hopefully it's just a quick scene where Rey slips off a rock, falls in the ocean for a bit, then gets spit back on land like R2 on Degobah.
Duncan Idaho
I just want a Dexter jetster origin story. What is the story behind his diner? Was he a time traveler and maybe crossed over to the BTTF franchise at some point?
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

hopefully it's just a quick scene where Rey slips off a rock, falls in the ocean for a bit, then gets spit back on land like R2 on Degobah.

Naw, furbies are going take out the Knights of Ren. Just wait.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
A movie about the mandalorians would be badass.

I also think a movie about when the Sith controlled the galaxy, before the rule of two, would be awesome.

I do see an issue with all of these movie ideas that are being thrown out though. The time jumping would be confusing for the average moviegoer. We already saw the confusion there was for Rogue One.
redline248
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I also think a movie about when the Sith controlled the galaxy, before the rule of two, would be awesome.

I do see an issue with all of these movie ideas that are being thrown out though. The time jumping would be confusing for the average moviegoer. We already saw the confusion there was for Rogue One.
Depends on which Madalorians they go with. The version before Lucas turned them into pacifists (the clone wars series), or the Jedi hating mercenaries that are shown in Knights of the Old Republic?

If you're going to do a Sith controlled galaxy, I personally would hope it's how Bane rose to power and survived the destruction of all the other Sith. I know this book exists in Legends, but seeing it play out on the big screen would be awesome.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah I was thinking Jedi-Hating mercenaries. And do it like a war movie, following a young recruit going through training to become this badass. You could even hide the fact that they are training to fight the Jedi, until the first time the main characters go into battle, that would be pretty cool.

And like I said, that would be awesome, but I'm not sure how you explain that this is happening what, 1000 years before the events of Luke, Han, and Leia? I think the majority of people end up confused.
Duncan Idaho
Quote:

. Depends on which Madalorians they go with. The version before Lucas turned them into pacifists (the clone wars series), or the Jedi hating mercenaries that are shown in Knights of the Old Republic

What the hell was he thinking when he gayed up the Madalorians? This was the dumbest thing that happened in the universe
redline248
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Quote:

. Depends on which Madalorians they go with. The version before Lucas turned them into pacifists (the clone wars series), or the Jedi hating mercenaries that are shown in Knights of the Old Republic

What the hell was he thinking when he gayed up the Madalorians? This was the dumbest thing that happened in the universe
I have no idea if this is the case or not, but it's a personal theory. There was an author writing books about clone commandos (and even authored a few in the Legacy of the Force series), and every one of them she wrote had a Jedi wanting to leave the order and become a Mandalorian. Maybe Lucas had enough of that sh-t and turned them into a bunch of p-ssies.
redline248
AG
Quote:

And like I said, that would be awesome, but I'm not sure how you explain that this is happening what, 1000 years before the events of Luke, Han, and Leia? I think the majority of people end up confused.
Well, using a crawl to open the movie accomplishes this pretty easy, imo. Of course, if it's anthology and not "saga" then I guess there won't be a crawl.
AliasMan02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Quote:

Pacifism works because of their war torn history, and allows the Deathwatch to be a thing.
MandoArms
Champ Bailey said:

I'd like to see a movie based on Karen Traviss' Republic Commando series. Loved those books.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I'd like to see a movie based on Karen Traviss' Republic Commando series. Loved those books.
See previous statement about author trying to change all Jedi into mandalorians
TCTTS
AG
http://theplaylist.net/gareth-edwards-reveals-lucasfilm-new-4k-restoration-star-wars-new-hope-20161222/
Malachi Constant
AG
Please, God, let this be the theatrical version.
TCTTS
AG
I wonder if Lucas has any say so now? Before, he swore the special editions would be the only ones seen from then out out, but I can't imagine he can stop the originals from re-releasing now.
Zemira
AG
Please please theatrical not Lucus crazy version

Philip J Fry
AG
TCTTS said:

I wonder if Lucas has any say so now? Before, he swore the special editions would be the only ones seen from then out out, but I can't imagine he can stop the originals from re-releasing now.

Still owned by Fox...and everyone knows how stupid Fox is with movies.
AliasMan02
AG
Philip J Fry said:

TCTTS said:

Still owned by Fox...and everyone knows how stupid Fox is with movies.

I thought the distribution was just owned by Fox, and that some arrangement had been worked out for rerelease.
MandoArms
redline248 said:

Quote:

Hmm I don't remember that part. I do remember an interesting conflict of interest in the Jedi not caring about Clone life as well as the interesting Mandalorian trainera the clones had.
redline248
AG
BrownCoat said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

Hmm I don't remember that part. I do remember an interesting conflict of interest in the Jedi not caring about Clone life as well as the interesting Mandalorian trainera the clones had.
That one female Jedi that had the kid with the clone left the order to join them on Mandalore, as did her buddy. Then in the Legacy series she wrote the book with Jaina going to Mandalore and basically thinking how awesome Mandalorians were.
Malachi Constant
AG
So I read something interesting today. The original trilogy was shot in 35mm film, as was episode one. Episodes 2 and 3 were shot digitally at 1080p resolution.

So the OT and Episode 1 will forever have a HIGHER resolution than episodes 2 and 3. 35mm film has density close to 4K. We will see a 4K version of 1,4,5 and 6, but never 2 or 3.
TCTTS
AG
Fine by me.
TCTTS
AG
Seriously, though, I knew II & III were the only ones shot on digital, but I had no idea they were shot at 1080p. So dumb, and legit interesting.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Seriously, though, I knew II & III were the only ones shot on digital, but I had no idea they were shot at 1080p. So dumb, and legit interesting.
Lucas has many many flaws, but failing to be forward-thinking wasn't usually one of them. Hell, it was his biggest strength, if anything. Weird for him to miss so wildly on something like that.
TCTTS
AG
Seriously. I'm kind of stunned, actually.
Malachi Constant
AG
I'm trying to confirm the actual cameras Lucas used for episodes 2 and 3. For some reason this is difficult information to,actually pin down.

What's cool is that the new 8k digital cameras have a density slightly HIGHER than 70mm. That will be awesome. I remember seeing Interstellar in true 70mm IMAX and it was stunning. Also that movie with Joaquin Phoenix about L. Ron Hubbard was shot that way and I remember being blown away in the theater.
AliasMan02
AG
So I'm listening to the audiobook of Aftermath: Life Debt, having already read it some time ago. Who would we cast if these books were movies? Anyone have a mental image of any of these characters?

Norra - Who is the current day version of 1989/Ghostbusters II Sigourney Weaver? Someone that can play off motherly and also a tough as nails rebel fighter pilot is a tough casting.

Temmin - Who can play the younger Snap Wexley? He's 15.

I don't have a firm idea for any of them, really.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

What else was available at the time?
fig96
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

TCTTS said:

What else was available at the time?
Nothing digital, the technology just wasn't ready yet. The first 4k digital film cameras were I think like 2005?
TCTTS
AG
I guess I just thought 4K had been around longer.
fig96
AG
Did some looking to confirm, the first commercially available 4k camera came out in 2003 (Dalsa Origin). The first RED was available in 2007.

Props to George for trying it, but the limited resolution probably should've been a bigger red flag than he realized.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Thanks for looking that up.
redline248
AG
Merry Christmas

First Page Last Page
Page 527 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.