Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,175 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sorry, but cartoons just don't appeal to me. I've watched episodes of both animated series and I'm just not a fan. There's so much other TV I would rather catch up on before I ever even considered knocking those out.
Ag Since 83
AG
TC, I wouldn't think you would like Clone Wars at all.

There's a lot of solid stuff (and a fair bit of "WTF?") but I can't imagine an adult who isn't an absolute SW junkie enjoying it.
hunter2012
AG
With how much he's on the Star Wars thread does he not qualify as junkie?
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm sorry, but cartoons just don't appeal to me. I've watched episodes of both animated series and I'm just not a fan. There's so much other TV I would rather catch up on before I ever even considered knocking those out.

I learned with anime that animation is a completely different mode of storytelling. You can tell a story that a live action movie would require a blockbuster budget. There are some really awesome stories out there among cartoons and anime that would never get out of the scripting phase for live action.
Ag Since 83
AG
hunter2012 said:

With how much he's on the Star Wars thread does he not qualify as junkie?
No offense to TC (I'll save that for next time I'm irrationally mad at him), but I see him as a film junkie rather than a SW junkie. Which is why I don't understand why he dives so deep into this stuff with us sometimes.
Sex Panther
AG
I couldn't get into the Star Wars cartoons even if I wanted to, because the animation is so crappy
AgMarauder04
AG
I really enjoy Rebels, just because it's essentially a slow building of the Rebellion. Yeah, the animation is mediocre, but I really like the story.
Ag Since 83
AG
At least at the beginning the Rebels budget was really limited compared to TCW, so a lot of the worlds are pretty simple (look at a Lothal landscape). At Celebration I attended a panel with Rebels producers who talked about the production process and it's pretty obvious they were stretching a thin budget. Not sure if the budget has increased since.
redline248
AG
I like Rebels, but The Clone Wars is way better.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
A thought. Watching the marathon going on TNT today and just happened to catch the part of ROTJ where they discuss the access code to land on Endor. Leia says she hopes it was the price they paid for it, with an insinuation that lives were lost. Any chance they make this story ala Rogue one? Or perhaps that is addressed in R1 too...

Just some thoughts as I drink beer and cook Cajun food

Or-- ALIAS/TCTTS maybe since we scraped OB1 story line, we can crowd source this plot!'v
hunter2012
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

A thought. Watching the marathon going on TNT today and just happened to catch the part of ROTJ where they discuss the access code to land on Endor. Leia says she hopes it was the price they paid for it, with an insinuation that lives were lost. Any chance they make this story ala Rogue one? Or perhaps that is addressed in R1 too...

Or-- ALIAS/TCTTS maybe since we scraped OB1 story line, we can crowd source this plot!'v

Bothan One?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=roguevhgdk.htm
The Collective
AG
My interpretation was that the code clearance cost them something monetarily... Maybe some bribe $. I have no support for that, just my assumption as a kid.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

just saw it....wow!!!!!....and i have read nothing from before it dropped....this is just my gut reactions......

love it really....and I'm not all caught up in some message (either side) that relates to today pro or con.....thats just people looking to relate it to what they are feeling - you see what you want to see.

SW was always about oppression and resistance and rebellion and hope, etc.

Ignoring that - as just a move in the SW universe - it rocked!!!!!

I don't know where we are in regards to spoilers or not on this thread so i'm blocking out a few things that are not generic sounding:

And forgetting Vader and the whole tie-in to the beginning of Star Wars (what you might call Ep. IV) it would still be a really really good movie.....but that put it over the top...that was SOOOOO COOL!!!!! Vader was bad ass in that scene (you know what I mean) and how it tied right into the beginning of SW.

I honestly could have walked out and walked into another showing right away - haven't felt like that since 1977.

I'm one of those SW > ESB people (but barely because of originality primarily).

Loved Jyn...loved the whole rogue one crew....the backstory. very well done. I don't think I have one complaint actually.......hmmmm......final battle scene was bad ass.....best beach battle scene i can recall. Beautifully shot too.....and not the standard SW story line certainly.

a. everyone dies - aka real sacrifices
b. it wasn't just blow up another super weapon
c. it changed the meaning or depth/context of the entire first 2 movies
d. it was grittier, darker and more ominous - loved that

For me currently:

SW
ESB
RO
TFA
ROTJ
ROTS
AOTC
PM

But Rogue One on repeated viewings could actually challenge for 2nd place....I don't know. Doesn;t matter really. It was great Star Wars.

AliasMan02
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Tyderium was stolen for escape by Leia and a small crew following Operation Yellow Moon, leading up to the reassembly of the rebel fleet at Sullust, before the attack on Endor.

There were multiple times that sacrifices of life were made to save Leia specifically.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Moving_Target:_A_Princess_Leia_Adventure

It's a short junior novel, but the story is pretty good.
Farmer1906
AG
Going for the 2nd time.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/rogue-one-star-wars-box-office-opening-projections-1201924775/

sounds about right...i was think 120-140 range.

and total $500-$550M domestic and $1.1 global.

some will paint that as disappoint but really those are huge numbers by any measure except compared to SW:TFA

Well it exceeded that estimate and my range as well.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars2016.htm

$155 million domestic and $290 million worldwide is really good.

Word of mouth seems to be good and you've got the long holiday period here - 2 more full weeks with people mostly on vacation and weekends.

TFA had only a 40% drop on 2nd weekend. We'll know a lot when we see what this has in terms of legs. A 40% drop would be amazing, 50% would be fine/average, a 60% drop would be trouble.

RO faces a lot tougher competition with 5 movies opening in wide release next week - Why Him, Passengers, Assassins Creed, Fences and Sing.

Repeat viewings are the other key - I know I'm going to see it again.

2nd highest December opening ever (to TFA of course).

The Collective
AG
aggie1906 said:

Going for the 2nd time.

What'd you think the second go round?
Flashdiaz
AG
anyone have a problem with Cassian killing that rebel informant at the beginning just so he could escape? Figured he could have shot him in the arm or leg and have him play the role of innocent bystander.

I suppose it shows his character arc with him not killing Mr. Erso even though he 'needed' to.

Duncan Idaho
It added the human element and the sacrifice (his sacrifice of his humanity to the cause) that takes place in a rebellion/insurgency

It also let the audience know 'this ain't George's prequels"
Farmer1906
AG
CJS4715 said:

aggie1906 said:

Going for the 2nd time.

What'd you think the second go round?
Edit: didn't realize what thread I was in. Took away my details/spoilers.
I'd rate it just a hair behind TFA.
Flashdiaz
AG

DannyDuberstein
AG
fig96
AG
Sex Panther said:

I couldn't get into the Star Wars cartoons even if I wanted to, because the animation is so crappy
Considering I'm an animator this is additionally tough for me. That being said, I've just finished the second half of the first season of Rebels and there was some pretty solid storytelling in there. The later seasons of Clone Wars had some really good stuff as well.

AliasMan02
AG
The animation style is purely driven by budget/schedule, right? Obviously Lucasfilm could go full Pixar if they really wanted to.
fig96
AG
Absolutely, deadlines more than anything else.

Tv animation is done on incredibly tight deadlines, most Netflix/Disney series are animated in Vancouver by animators cranking out 10 seconds or more of animation per day. Compare that to a studio like Pixar or Disney where their feature animators are doing more like 5-10 seconds per week.

Story work for the series is done at Lucasfilm in the Bay Area and I believe that production is done at the Lucasfilm facility in Singapore.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
So.... what is the NEW optimized viewing order for Star Wars series?

RO, IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII ???
Dro07
AG
take 1 out and its perfect
SpreadsheetAg
AG
dromo07 said:

It's got the strikethrough
Dro07
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

dromo07 said:

It's got the strikethrough
I guess my eyesight suck!
AliasMan02
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

So.... what is the NEW optimized viewing order for Star Wars series?

RO, IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII ???

Viewing needs to start with IV, I think.
boogieman
AG
Tough question, because I don't think you can start with R1. You still need to start with IV. I think you need context for R1.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
same discussion happening on the other thread....this was my post....

the real idea behind the watching order and machete order is in fact...

how would you propose watching it to someone who has NEVER seen any of it before?

In that context I would not recommend RO first....I would ALWAYS recommend Star Wars first

Anyway. While RO does serve as a nice intro to Vader in some sense....and gives nice realism, grit, background, context, etc. to the Republic, the Rebellion, etc...I still think I gotta go with Star Wars. Just too iconic. First of all you might think it's about Tarkin and Vader and the Rogue One crew and then....all of RO crew are dead....great. Second, by starting with RO you miss out on getting completely ingrained in the musical themes of Star Wars. Thirdly you also miss out on really "the Force" it's present in RO but not the way it is presented in Star Wars as this mythology and training a young protege from a master, etc.

Given that I gotta go with:

SW - the first and iconic story, ingrain them i the star wars experience
Rogue One - now you pop back and have a nice prequel to what set that up
Ep 5 - ESB - shocking reveal of Luke preserved
Ep 2 and 3 - skip 1 of course and now you have Vaders back story and the Luke/Leia story after that reveal
Ep 6 - the climactic ending of joy and ewoks woo whoo
Ep 7 - TFA kind of the epilogue 30 years later, where are they now

This is a TRUE machete order now - nothing is in order much, its effectively

4, RO, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7
DannyDuberstein
AG
If I'd watched RO 1st, I'd have been one lost mothereffer for most of it.
jr15aggie
AG
Finally getting to see it tomorrow.
First Page Last Page
Page 525 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.