Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,676 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gathering the family to go see the latest Star Wars movie over the holidays is a tradition I could get used to very easily. My family, my sisters family (in town for the holidays), and my parents all went together last year and it was awesome.
TCTTS
AG
I tend to agree with this. Three white, mid-20s, British brunettes in a row kind of comes across as tone-deaf overkill. Was really hoping for Tessa Thompson, but oh well. I'll settle for Khaleesi...

Farmer1906
AG
Then make her blonde like she's best known.
AliasMan02
AG
Could be playing a zany alien sidekick.
TCTTS
AG
Didn't think of that, actually. She could very well be kind of like Jaylah from Star Trek Beyond. Something along those lines.

I just thought that if anyone in the SW universe hooked up with a black chick, it'd definitely be Han. Really wanted to see that dynamic.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Didn't think of that, actually. She could very well be kind of like Jaylah from Star Trek Beyond. Something along those lines.

I just thought that if anyone in the SW universe hooked up with a black chick, it'd definitely be Han. Really wanted to see that dynamic.
His love interest pre-Leia was black.

TCTTS
AG
Well there you go.
AliasMan02
AG
I still think there's a chance she passes briefly through the movie. Of the many new characters in the new EU, if anyone were to show up, she'd be toward the top of the list. Pretty easy to work in if they care to tie it together and throw in any Easter eggs for the ubernerds.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

What movie did they reference??? I have to know!

Quote:

I have to admit, if you didn't even tell me what the movie was and just told me Phil Lord and Chris Miller are going to work with Bradford Young, I am in.
[Laughs.] Yeah.

It could have been Lego Movie 2. It could be anything. I'm in.
[Laughs.] Now, this collaboration, in the essence, didn't seem as obvious to me. You know what I mean? There was a real bridge to it. But they convinced me.

They had to convince you?
They convinced me. I wasn't sure, you know what I mean? They were sure, though.

I imagine they were.
They know exactly what they want. And it didn't take long to convince me, but they did it. They referenced the right things and immediately I was like, "Okay, I want to work with these guys." You know, but I wasn't sure. Star Wars, it's not something I've been thinking about or dreaming about. It just kind of fell on me, so I wasn't expecting that.

I got to interview Empire Strikes Back cinematographer Peter Su*****zky once. His whole point is that he and Irvin Kershner weren't sci-fi filmmakers, so that's why that movie worked so well.
Yeah. I mean, I think Peter and Irvin, they were experimental filmmakers. So that just was the brilliance of that, the unexpected bridge between that film and what they did. But it makes sense, though. It makes sense because that world is really playful, and it needs that. It can't be too procedural and it can't be too over the top action. Those films straddle a fine line and so why wouldn't you bring the two best art filmmakers of their time to the table and have them be part of the process? That's why that film is the best film narratively and it's the best film visually.

You said Lord and Miller referenced the right things. What did they say?
Well, I'll just say this: that they referenced the right films in the American film lexicon that really touched me in a real tender place. And they mentioned some films that I don't think they knew I had such a really emotional attachment to and there's one in particular and I'm not going to give it up because it would just tell everything. But there's one in particular that they mentioned in the referential landscape and that one really convinced me that these cats wanted to do something different. Because if you mention that film, it shows that you're brave and that you want to really try to do something different. And so, as soon as they said that, I had to double check, like, "Are you sure? That? You know what they did?" And they're like, "Yeah, that's the film we want to make." And I was like, Wow, these cats are brave.

That's really interesting it came down to that. There's a chance you might not have liked that movie they referenced.
They're honest. Yeah, those guys aren't guarded. They're not guarded with what they do best, you know what I mean? They believe in themselves, so they're only going to reference things that mean something to them. And if you are into it, great, let's roll. If you're not, we'll try again on another film. But these cats are real, they know exactly what they want. And so, that goes a long way for me.

http://uproxx.com/movies/bradford-young-han-solo-arrival/
I'll quote the movie I think they were referencing "azzz to azzzz"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As mentioned, entirely possible Emilia is playing an alien. Could be kinda cool. Either way, I hope it's not a minimal role like what happened with Gwendoline Christie. Then again, I don't think they did a major announcement for her like they did with Emilia, so I'm thinking female lead.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Did we know that when Christie was cast that she would be back for VIII?
TCTTS
AG
No. That wasn't announced until either just before or just after the release of TFA.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Thanks, couldn't remember.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

As mentioned, entirely possible Emilia is playing an alien. Could be kinda cool. Either way, I hope it's not a minimal role like what happened with Gwendoline Christie. Then again, I don't think they did a major announcement for her like they did with Emilia, so I'm thinking female lead.
We know that Christie's role was minimal in TFA because it was a late add to build to her major role in Episode VIII. I think we're seeing something different here.
TCTTS
AG
Ah, yes. Totally forgot about the hardly-any-women uproar when that first official cast pic was released. With Phasma not yet cast at the time, Abrams/Lucasfilm then pathetically went out of their way to switch the casting search from a male to a female... and then literally didn't show her face the entire movie. So weird.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Ah, yes. Totally forgot about the hardly-any-women uproar when that first official cast pic was released. With Phasma not yet cast at the time, Abrams/Lucasfilm then pathetically went out of their way to switch the casting search from a male to a female... and then literally didn't show her face the entire movie. So weird.
What I recall at the time was that Johnson requested that her character be added to introduce her for an arc in his Episode VIII.
TCTTS
AG
I don't remember that all, but it could very well be true. Johnson could have definitely had something to do with it. All I know is that there were months of casting rumors for that role, and every name was a male. Then all the sudden the character was cast as female immediately following the backlash.
AliasMan02
AG
In either case, we got GC, who was great and has been an enthusiastic contributor to the new generation. I'm glad she's on board.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, not complaining about the result at all. Lover her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Page 501

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Relevant
double aught
AG
AgMarauder04
AG
Do we have info on presale yet?
twilly
AG
Presale to start in Europe on Monday, no word yet for the US.

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/11/rogue-one-tickets-to-go-on-sale-tomorrow-in-the-uk-new-dream-tv-spot.html
The Collective
AG
COOL LASER FALCON
I want to hang out with Rian Johnson

wangus12
AG
CJS4715 said:

So they gonna bang?
Flashdiaz
AG
wangus12 said:

CJS4715 said:

So they gonna bang?
how do think Rey exists? Midichlorian voodoo??

i'm kidding about the Rey stuff so don't refute with age math.
MandoArms
I just want to get my tickets already...so much suspense.
The Collective
AG
BrownCoat said:

I just want to get my tickets already...so much suspense.

I don't know how box office cash inflows work, but surely someone wants their money before month-end November.
MandoArms
So is there going to be a TexAgs group going on opening night?? I am in DFW and wouldn't mind meeting some of ya.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting...

jbanda
AG
TCTTS
AG
Ha, my first thought as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 501 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.