Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,484 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texags meet up, let's do it.
TCTTS
AG
No, and good point. But I could see them doing something like that again - where they're the SOLE focus - rather than competing with all the other commercials and trailers that debut during the Super Bowl as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
True, but a Star Wars Episode VIII trailer would overshadow all other commercials much like the Death Star blocking out the sun and covering the planet in darkness.
twilly
AG
Ok, I know how we all feel about Baylor, but their band did a Star Wars based performance for their homecoming show.
ja86
AG
Where was the empire raping the rebels.... did I miss it..
MGS
Ole MIss really needs to do this.
agracer
AG
Belton Ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

looks like we'll finally see Chewbacca disarm someone

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/18/star-wars-force-awakens-deleted-scene-unkar-plutt-chewbacca
This is another in a long list of reasons why I can't understand why, if Rey is some kind of special person, she was left with Plutt as a young girl. What kind of guardian is he, and who would leave her with him? To me the obvious choices are that she's either the descendant of a villain or she was kidnapped and left there. I have a hard time believing the latter because in the flashback she was obviously sad when the ship that brought her to Jakku left without her. She wouldn't have been so sad to see her kidnappers go.
Stockholm syndrome.
Belton Ag
AG
agracer said:

Belton Ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

looks like we'll finally see Chewbacca disarm someone

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/18/star-wars-force-awakens-deleted-scene-unkar-plutt-chewbacca
This is another in a long list of reasons why I can't understand why, if Rey is some kind of special person, she was left with Plutt as a young girl. What kind of guardian is he, and who would leave her with him? To me the obvious choices are that she's either the descendant of a villain or she was kidnapped and left there. I have a hard time believing the latter because in the flashback she was obviously sad when the ship that brought her to Jakku left without her. She wouldn't have been so sad to see her kidnappers go.
Stockholm syndrome.
I thought about that but figured that would be way too complex of a setup for a scene that lasted all of 2 seconds. I know JJ likes red herrings and all, but I hope he wouldn't try that hard to mind **** us.
Ag Since 83
AG
That deleted scene makes a lot of sense. I was recently thinking about the fact we didn't see anyone lose their arm in VII (unless I'm forgetting something), which is a SW tradition. Even Avengers 2 did it as an homage since Andy Serkis is in both.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Never really thought about it as a tradition. In fact I hadn't even noticed it happens in all the movies until now. (Except TPM? Maul was technically cut in half.)
redline248
AG
I'm sure a droid lost an arm.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Maul was technically cut in half
Still can't believe Lucas let Filoni bring him back from that.
The Collective
AG
Quote:

Was Maul cut from the waist or the limbs like Anakin - can't recall... was his situation that much more dire than Anakin's? One fell after being cut up; one got bbq'ed. While it is extreme to bring him back into canon, he's been my favorite animated character... so for selfish reasons, I'll accept it. Though, I admit that the sorcery angle of the dark side in the animated series is a bit much for my tastes.
redline248
AG
He was cut in the torso, and fell who knows how far.

edit: It's one of those things that I think was really stupid to do, but since it was done, at least they've found a good way to involve him in the story.
Flashdiaz
AG
CJS4715 said:

Quote:

Was Maul cut from the waist or the limbs like Anakin - can't recall... was his situation that much more dire than Anakin's? One fell after being cut up; one got bbq'ed. While it is extreme to bring him back into canon, he's been my favorite animated character... so for selfish reasons, I'll accept it. Though, I admit that the sorcery angle of the dark side in the animated series is a bit much for my tastes.
it's just, well, you would think getting cut in half and falling down a deep pit would mean certain death. Now that it doesn't, what about:
Mace Windu - arm cut, lightning and thrown out a window in a city. Obi Wan was able to grab onto things as he fell, a master Jedi could do the same.
Palpatine - simply thrown down a pit... he has ultimate hatred and dark side will.
Dooku - maybe cutting off the head is the only way to kill them for good...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dooku was so ****ing lame. Just a tragedy that they killed off Maul and then essentially replaced him with Dooku.
redline248
AG
I almost posted the exact things you did, but went for simplicity.
The Collective
AG
Seems obvious that Lucas regretted killing off Maul, so he let Filoni change it... or maybe told him to change it.
redline248
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Dooku was so ****ing lame. Just a tragedy that they killed off Maul and then essentially replaced him with Dooku.
Maul would never have been able to execute the Separatist movement the way Dooku did.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm sure they could have figured out a way to have those babbling asian stereotypes go along.
AliasMan02
AG
CJS4715 said:

Seems obvious that Lucas regretted killing off Maul, so he let Filoni change it... or maybe told him to change it.

I think it's more Filoni's love for the Visionaries story that originated the "droid Maul" idea. Incidentally, I think the upcoming arc in Rebels is going to more or less tell that same story, called Old Wounds.
Flashdiaz
AG
in other news, looks like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailer will debut with Dr. Strange.... think this is why we got the Rogue One trailer sooner than expected?
The Collective
AG
An old article on the topic:
http://www.themarysue.com/a-character-is-resurrected-in-clone-wars/
Quote:

He was just too good to stay dead. Those of you who are fans of Star Wars: The Clone Wars will have seen the signs a mile away, for those who don't watch religiously and don't want to be spoiled, turn away now. The creators of the Cartoon Network show are bringing Darth Maul back from the grave this spring.

Star Wars fans will remember, the Sith apprentice was introduced in The Phantom Menace to positive response, only to be killed off at the end of the film by Obi-Wan. Not just killed, severed in half at the midsection. So many of us were disappointed that arguably the best new character to come out of the new film would never be seen again. We were wrong.

"He is such a dynamic and exciting character," said Dave Filoni, supervising director for Clone Wars. "He made such a huge impression in that first film that when you go back and look at the prequels, you forget he's not in all three."

Filoni told USA Today he was surprised when Star Wars creator George Lucas asked him to figure out a way to bring Darth Maul back.
redline248
AG
Yeah, what do we really expect from the guy who decided Greedo needed to shoot first?
The Collective
AG
So, I skipped posting a video last week. With the release of the Rogue One trailer, why bother? This week, much like my commentry regarding the Burning Homestead scene - I'm pretty sure this sequence was watched & rewound over and over in our house. Oh, and, 8 weeks!
double aught
AG
@@'s
Ag Since 83
AG
80 80!!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
aytee aytees
hunter2012
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

He was awesome in clone wars...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Haven't seen this posted yet but Rogue One run time has been released, 2 hours 13 minutes.
Ag Since 83
AG
Book readers: USA Today has some info and an excerpt from Catalyst (Rogue One tie in novel released next month)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2016/10/20/exclusive-excerpt-star-wars-rogue-one-catalyst-novel/92308762/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
55 days.
Phat32
AG
CJS4715 said:

Quote:

Filoni told USA Today he was surprised when Star Wars creator George Lucas asked him to figure out a way to bring Darth Maul back.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
AT-AT (@@)

Proven. This is known. Do I have to link it again?
Farmer1906
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

AT-AT (@@)

Proven. This is known. Do I have to link it again?
Share it again. It'll feel so good.
First Page Last Page
Page 492 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.