Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,136 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think you're probably right on timing, but can you explain how putting an VIII teaser in front of Rogue One would be "distracting"?
wangus12
AG
I know I'd definitely be think about what I saw in the teaser rather than the first few minutes of Rogue One just due to seeing the new footage
Ag Since 83
AG
You wouldn't be paying attention to the movie playing in front of your eyes that you've presumably been waiting a long time to see?

I love trailers, in fact before they were readily available online seeing trailers in the theater you had never seen before was a highlight of a trip to the movies, but I can't think of a single instance where an awesome trailer prevented me from concentrating on the movie that followed it. We'd always just talk about the trailers later after the movie.

Now, if you want to say "I'd be talking about the trailer more afterwards than the movie itself", OK I could see that, particularly if the movie sucks. But still I don't think that's going to hamper Rogue One's box office or merchandise sales or anything like that. If anything, more Star Wars to talk about should be good from Lucasfilm's point of view.

But again, I think TC is right and they'll wait until Celebration, unless they release a super early non-informative teaser like they did with VII, but I don't think they'll need to do that with VIII since it hasn't been a decade since the last movie. Which I'm fine with, as I'll be there in Orlando.
OnlyForNow
AG
I think he is simply saying that, it could be distracting for a few minutes during the beginning of the movie if your mind starts to wonder off on that specific trailer.

Let's show you a trailer for the new Mission Impossible movie with Tom Cruise right before the new Jack Reacher movie with Tom as well.

Sure, it's two completely separate franchises, except the movies are pretty damn similar, and it stars the same character (ok that's different in SW but still), set in the same time frame and universe, going to have a similar theme.

I could see how that is distracting for 10 mins, and if anything from the trailer remotely resembles anything in the movie, it's going to bring your thoughts back to the trailer or cause you to think tangentially.

We can say we're gonna turn our brains off all we want, but I don't think any of us discussing this topic are remotely that stupid and have that ability, truly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Star Wars Celebration is April 13-16 next year, same weekend as it was in 2015 when the TFA teaser trailer debuted. My bet is they stick to the same window and debut it there/online, then yeah, in theaters with Guardians 2 a couple weeks later. Basically almost exactly six months from now.
Although I agree, that was the first trailer (or second teaser, not sure how you consider that), not the teaser. First teaser was Thanksgiving 2014.
The Collective
AG
What is different about VIII is that the movie might be damn near done by the time we see a teaser... their marketing on that movie is going to be very focused as they'll pretty much know the end product.
Ag Since 83
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Let's show you a trailer for the new Mission Impossible movie with Tom Cruise right before the new Jack Reacher movie with Tom as well.

Yeah, they do that all the time.

People who attend Tom Cruise action movies seem prime candidates to be interested in knowing when the next one is.

People who watch Marvel movies are also interested in knowing when the next Marvel film is coming out and what it is about.

Same with Star Wars.

You're basically making an argument to never show trailers in the theater

The Collective
AG
Disney is going to have something special for Celebration. The event is in friggin Orlando - they are going to make it a huge deal. The big event won't be a BTS reel or a cartoon trailer like it was in London.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think if they do something before Celebration it will be the simplest of teasers (maybe a few seconds of footage and perhaps a title announcement), Certainly the first big teaser/trailer will be in Orlando
AliasMan02
AG
CJS4715 said:

Disney is going to have something special for Celebration. The event is in friggin Orlando - they are going to make it a huge deal. The big event won't be a BTS reel or a cartoon trailer like it was in London.

Still need to decide if we're going...
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02 said:

My poor wife puts up with A LOT, but I don't think this is a trip she is willing to make. I pitched it as a chance for her to realize that I'm not really that big of a nerd, but I am failing miserably.
AliasMan02
AG
CJS4715 said:

AliasMan02 said:

My poor wife puts up with A LOT, but I don't think this is a trip she is willing to make. I pitched it as a chance for her to realize that I'm not really that big of a nerd, but I am failing miserably.

My wife is Daisy's #1 superfan. If I knew for certain that she would be doing photo ops, I'd already have our ticket. I'm sure she will, but it's still a lot to plan just in case she is sequestered for some reason.
LeonardSkinner
Your wife is Daisy's #1 fan?

Ag Since 83
AG
Do we know if she signed/took photos in London? None of the new cast did in Anaheim but if they did in London I'd bet they will in Orlando. I believe Lucasfilm also changed signing companies since Anaheim.

Since Thrawn comes out that week, after getting my movie autographs in Anaheim I am hoping Zahn does a book signing. I would get him to sign either my new Thrawn hardcover or my 20 year old HttE paperback. Of course if the new cast signs autographs I might have to go back to spending time in long autograph lines. But I'm hoping for less autographs more panels this time.
The Collective
AG
I want to say that they kept the new cast away from London, so it wouldn't overwhelm Rogue One. I think Boyega was the only major cast member there from the new films (excluding OT characters in the new films obviously).
Ag Since 83
AG
Yeah I guess that's true. They didn't really do too much Episode VIII stuff
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Star Wars Celebration is April 13-16 next year, same weekend as it was in 2015 when the TFA teaser trailer debuted. My bet is they stick to the same window and debut it there/online, then yeah, in theaters with Guardians 2 a couple weeks later. Basically almost exactly six months from now.
Although I agree, that was the first trailer (or second teaser, not sure how you consider that), not the teaser. First teaser was Thanksgiving 2014.

Right. Traditionally, there are teasers, teaser trailers, and trailers. I would consider the Thanksgiving footage a "teaser" since it had very little dialogue (only a cryptic voice over), quick, frenetic imagery, and that's also what Lucasfilm/Disney called it. But then they call the April trailer "teaser #2" when just about every other studio would call that a "teaser trailer," since it has on-screen characters speaking actual lines, is longer in length, etc., which is what I was referring to. Aka the first "teaser trailer," even though that's not what they officially call it (which I wasn't aware of until just now).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be honest, I may seriously consider attending Celebration.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So you think it'll follow the same marketing schedule as TFA, but they'll skip the teaser, right?

I think they might do a short little 30 second teaser for the Super Bowl before Celebration. Clears the window of Rogue One in theaters and leaves plenty of time before Celebration.
TCTTS
AG
I would say for sure a teaser trailer in April at Celebration and then a full trailer in October. That's been the release pattern the last two years. Before that is anyone's guess. Teaser this Christmas or during the Super Bowl are both definite possibilities, but my gut says they wait 'til April like they did with Rogue One.
Ag Since 83
AG
The only reason I think we MIGHT get a teaser in December of at the Super Bowl is a title announcement. The Rogue One title was announced well over a year in advance (March 2015, apparently)
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll be honest, I may seriously consider attending Celebration.

Texags party!

The only thing my wife needs to get down with is the idea of sitting in line forever to see a panel. She's not interested in that, and I'm not sure I am either. We'd probably go for a day or two and then hit Universal or whatever.
Flashdiaz
AG
looks like we'll finally see Chewbacca disarm someone

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/18/star-wars-force-awakens-deleted-scene-unkar-plutt-chewbacca
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It really pisses me off that they held back material for this 3D release. Stop double dipping you greedy sons of *****es. Also, commentary should've been on the bluray.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It really pisses me off that they held back material for this 3D release. Stop double dipping you greedy sons of *****es. Also, commentary should've been on the bluray.
agree.... next time i'll wait until the definitive 4D ultra 6K version comes out.
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

agree.... next time i'll wait until the definitive 4D ultra 6K version comes out.

**** that. I am waiting for the SD version to be released, so that I can watch the movie the way that it was intended to be.
Belton Ag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/18/star-wars-force-awakens-deleted-scene-unkar-plutt-chewbacca
This is another in a long list of reasons why I can't understand why, if Rey is some kind of special person, she was left with Plutt as a young girl. What kind of guardian is he, and who would leave her with him? To me the obvious choices are that she's either the descendant of a villain or she was kidnapped and left there. I have a hard time believing the latter because in the flashback she was obviously sad when the ship that brought her to Jakku left without her. She wouldn't have been so sad to see her kidnappers go.
Flashdiaz
AG
Belton Ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

This is another in a long list of reasons why I can't understand why, if Rey is some kind of special person, she was left with Plutt as a young girl. What kind of guardian is he, and who would leave her with him? To me the obvious choices are that she's either the descendant of a villain or she was kidnapped and left there. I have a hard time believing the latter because in the flashback she was obviously sad when the ship that brought her to Jakku left without her. She wouldn't have been so sad to see her kidnappers go.
agree completely... what parent would leave their kid with Unkar?

Unless it's some sort of 'Boy Named Sue' thing where she'd have to get tough or die.
Ag Since 83
AG
To be fair, it's a better hiding spot than say...the only living relatives of the one guy you're trying to hide the kid from

On his home planet no less. In a home he has visited
Flashdiaz
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

To be fair, it's a better hiding spot than say...the only living relatives of the one guy you're trying to hide the kid from

On his home planet no less. In a home he has visited
Yeah but Anakin did say he hates sand because it gets everywhere (if you know what I mean).

so what better place to hide a kid than a planet made of sand? Lucas, you magnificent ******* you.

oh yeah, there are probably thousands of desert like planets :/
TCTTS
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

The only reason I think we MIGHT get a teaser in December of at the Super Bowl is a title announcement. The Rogue One title was announced well over a year in advance (March 2015, apparently)

That's a really great point. I think we've known almost every Star Wars title from the prequels 'til I now more than a year in advance. This may be the longest we've gone without knowing a title, so I could definitely see some kind of title announcement teaser thing this year, even if only online.

As for the Super Bowl, the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure no Star Wars movie has ever advertised during the Super Bowl, so I don't see why they'd start now. I could be wrong, and there's of course always a first time for everything, but it just doesn't feel right. Especially if a Celebration trailer is coming only two months later.
AliasMan02
AG
Disney had used the Superbowl to push Marvel stuff in the past. Makes sense not to double dip.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Had they ever premiered a trailer during a Monday Night Football game before last year?
The Collective
AG
Quote:

Texags party!

Hey wife, we are taking a vacation to Orlando... for a Star Wars convention.
AND
While we are there, we are going to meet up with other Texags users.

The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Had they ever premiered a trailer during a Monday Night Football game before last year?

Or the Olympics until this year?
First Page Last Page
Page 491 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.