Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,071 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho
Whole
Leigh

That was awesome
Zemira
AG
And here they were accusing you of not liking Star Wars and then you post that awesomeness!
Velvet Jones
AG
That made me moist.
3rdGen2015
AG
Hype train comin off the rails
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Watched that supercut last night. Fantastic.
amercer
Cromagnum
AG
That supercut trailer was bad to the bone. This film may actually do better than Episode VII
double aught
AG
Cromagnum said:

That supercut trailer was bad to the bone. This film may actually do better than Episode VII
Like box office-wise?

Are you high?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
double aught said:

Cromagnum said:

Like box office-wise?

Are you high?

If it does half of what TFA did at the box office I'd be impressed. And that's still huge. Right now outside SW fanboys there is very little noise about it. Nothing like TFA.
Cromagnum
AG
double aught said:

Cromagnum said:

Like box office-wise?

Are you high?

It looks (and probably will be) a better movie than VII for sure. Don't get me wrong. I liked VII quite a bit, but this storyline should be really good and it looks to be highly polished. VII was a nostalgia trip more than anything else.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Cromagnum said:

double aught said:

Cromagnum said:

Like box office-wise?

Are you high?

It looks (and probably will be) a better movie than VII for sure. Don't get me wrong. I liked VII quite a bit, but this storyline should be really good and it looks to be highly polished. VII was a nostalgia trip more than anything else.

That doesn't matter to casual fans.

TFA mixed old and new - this won't have the same appeal.

No Chewy, no Han, no R2D2, No C3P0, No Luke, No Leia.
Also no Rey, Finn, BB8, Po.

It would have to be the best story ever to have anything close to TFA box office. It won't.

AgMarauder04
AG
Better movie

Nowhere near box office.

Mark.it.down.
TCTTS
AG
My stance as well. Quality-wise, everything about Rogue One so far appears to be better than TFA, and it's still obviously going to do massive numbers, but it won't come close to touching TFA's box office.
AliasMan02
AG
I think the interesting comparison will be do the Marvel properties. TFA ($936MM) dwarfed the top grossing MCU movie, which was The Avengers ($623MM). The top MCU movies are the tentpole team-ups, with the movies between those coming in dramatically less, though they occasionally do jump up and exceed expectations. I assume that Star Wars will be the same with the Saga films versus the Anthologies.

Assuming that same type of thing holds, what is a reasonable expectation for Rogue One? $400MM would be a huge step back from TFA, but a massive movie by any measure (IM3 and Civil War each did $408MM). Is the expectation $500MM? Still a huge step back from TFA, but still good for #7 all time at the box office.

The power of this brand is crazy. I doubt that we'll ever top TFA's performance, and I think Rogue One will be the top of the Anthology mountain to be followed by a gradual decline (on average), but even at half its current power, it will rule everything, even Marvel.
Chipotlemonger
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I think Rogue One will be the top of the Anthology mountain to be followed by a gradual decline (on average)
Possible, but I wouldn't underestimate the power of a Han Solo or Obi Wan anthology film.
AliasMan02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

AliasMan02 said:

I think Rogue One will be the top of the Anthology mountain to be followed by a gradual decline (on average)
Possible, but I wouldn't underestimate the power of a Han Solo or Obi Wan anthology film.
That wasn't meant as a dig, as I'm actually 100% on board with non-saga films, I just mean generally declining. Some will pop up and do really well, but I think the trend line will just go down a bit. Just the way of the world.

I'll continue to trumpet my support for a two-parter Obi-Wan offering between episodes 9 and 10. Reading between the lines on what Ewan says about it, I think that something along those lines is in the cards.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. I'm thinking $500-$600M for Rogue One, and Han Solo could do just as much if the script really is as good as people are saying it is. The one interesting caveat is that Han Solo will, as of now, be the first Star Wars movie of this new bunch to switch back to a May release. Wondering how that will affect the numbers, if at all.
twilly
AG
New Duracell/Rogue One commercial...and for a good cause to boot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So I've seen the trailer a few more times and it really is a damn great trailer. Not sure why it didn't do much for me the first time, maybe it overwhelmed me a bit. It's so hard to take everything in the first time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Regarding the box office -

I think it'll do well but nowhere NEAR TFA numbers. I'm thinking prequel numbers, and not adjusted for inflation. Anywhere between $350M and $450M, imo.

There's just not near the hype for this among casual moviegoers as there was for Force Awakens. But at the end of the day, it's still Star Wars, and it'll get asses in seats just like Marvel does.

The big thing will be repeat business. If it's a "fun" movie that makes you want to watch again and again (and is super kid-friendly) like TFA was, it'll be on the high end.
Duncan Idaho
twilly said:

New Duracell/Rogue One commercial...and for a good cause to boot.

Thanks for the spoiler.
M.C. Swag
AG
Darth Vader seems like a wild card though. So far we've only seen glimpses. If R1 gives us the menacing and unstoppable force of Vader, I feel like the hype for this movie could go through the roof.

If he's merely a side character, then yea, I think box office expectations will be tame. But as far as marketing goes, I don't feel like they've let up all that much from TFA. $500-600m should be a slam dunk if it's at least decent.
The Collective
AG
That commercial is bullsh... R2 isn't flying.
TCTTS
AG

boogieman
AG
Oh I get it. The plans to the Death Star were inside of them All Along!
dave99ag
AG
boogieman said:

Oh I get it. The plans to the Death Star were inside of them All Along!
I've seen this plot device before.
wangus12
AG
jbanda
AG
Hegimmedawatch...
The Collective
AG
Greatest gif ever
The Collective
AG
So, I rewatched bits of the Celebration panel (still terrible btw), but Edwards mentions using the tube station for a scene where they needed a long set. It seems pretty obvious where that scene takes place based on an overhead shot in the latest trailer.
ViewFromTheSidelines
Any guesses on when we will see the first VIII trailer?
jabberwalkie09
AG
ViewFromTheSidelines said:

Any guesses on when we will see the first VIII trailer?
I'm going to guess probably earliest being February or March for a teaser, then a full trailer with GOTG Vol 2 in May.
TCTTS
AG
It likely won't be February or March. At the absolute earliest, we MIGHT get a teaser w/ Rogue One, but I seriously doubt it, for the same reason there was no Rogue One teaser with TFA. Probably too distracting.

Star Wars Celebration is April 13-16 next year, same weekend as it was in 2015 when the TFA teaser trailer debuted. My bet is they stick to the same window and debut it there/online, then yeah, in theaters with Guardians 2 a couple weeks later. Basically almost exactly six months from now.
First Page Last Page
Page 490 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.