Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,422 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Dro07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
@@
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Quote:

He says it wrong.
Not according to LucasFilm

From Time Magazine:
Quote:

Yes, I know I'm a bit late for Techland's Star Wars month, but hey, every month is Star Wars month for true Star Wars aficionados.

The question at hand, the proper pronunciation of the AT-AT walker, arose after watching Techlander Allie Townsend's Star Wars Yoga video. Her Star Wars Yoga master pronounced AT-AT phonetically as "at at," as in it rhymes with "hat hat," however, I have always held the belief that the vehicle was pronounced by saying its letters, or Ay Tee-Ay Tee. This seemingly improper pronunciation was irksome and one mini-nerdrage later, I decided to use my journalistic mettle to settle the matter.

There is much evidence within the Star Wars universe itself to support my pronunciation given that other walkers like Return of the Jedi's AT-ST and the prequels' AT-TE are pronounced by their letters. Even everyone's most beloved droid, R2D2, is pronounced by the letters that comprise its name, whereas there is little, if no, precedent for the pronunciation of AT-AT phonetically.

So who's correct, the Star Wars Yoga master (unlikely), or me (most definitely)?

An email blast to Lucasfilm's public relations department provided the definitive verdict. The official pronunciation for AT-AT is the phonetic one, as in it rhymes with "hat hat."

Alas, the force was not with me.

The 80s generation wins...
http://techland.time.com/2010/09/02/how-do-you-pronounce-at-at/

This makes me feel good too. Because I lost an argument about .GIFs about 4 years ago and I still slip up and only call it a "G-if" about 50% of the time... (Correct pronunciation is "jiff")
Ag Since 83
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

AT-AT (@@)

Proven. This is known. Do I have to link it again?
Heh. "Proven." They are all fine. So says the canon. See comments by Dave Filoni (around 3:30 of the video)

redline248
AG
Lol, he's basically saying "who cares." Maybe I don't hate him so much, after all.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

AT-AT (@@)

Proven. This is known. Do I have to link it again?
Heh. "Proven." They are all fine. So says the canon. See comments by Dave Filoni (around 3:30 of the video)

I'm an extremist. @ @
maca1028
https://instagr.am/p/BL1uPTKj1zz
Chipotlemonger
AG
Whoa!
Hagen95
AG
What are his thoughts on Colt 45?
israeliag
AG
Instagram's blocked at work, but I'm assuming this is re: Donald Glover as Lando?

I don't follow this thread cuz of spoilers, but came here to say how excite i am for this!
boogieman
AG
I'm on board with it.
Flashdiaz
AG
I wonder if the Han Solo film will be the 'lighter toned' film like Gaurdians of the Galaxy.
TCTTS
AG
That's what I'm thinking for sure. And those who have read the script are absolutely raving about it. Combine that with the fact that one of my favorite cinematographers is shooting it, along with this awesome Glover news, and I think I'm coming around to this one in a big way.
TajMaballer
AG
Glover is about to have an incredible stretch:

Atlanta
Possible album
Spider-Man Homecoming (small part)
Han Solo

And whose to say we don't get a Community movie (putting it out in the world and hoping it happens)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

That's what I'm thinking for sure. And those who have read the script are absolutely raving about it. Combine that with the fact that one of my favorite cinematographers is shooting it, along with this awesome Glover news, and I think I'm coming around to this one in a big way.

I think he will pull of an awesome Lando. Really getting excited about this one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It took me about 10 seconds to go from "Not sure how I feel about this" to "I could see it" to "He's gonna be awesome".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It took me about 10 seconds to go from "Not sure how I feel about this" to "I could see it" to "He's gonna be awesome".

That long?
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll see it and I'm sure it'll be good, I'm just disappointed this is their choice in movie. So much of the SW Universe to explore and Disney decides to be SUPER safe and make a movie about a beloved character instead of taking a risk.
Sex Panther
AG
People like Han Solo
TCTTS
AG
I think the risks will come in due time. I absolutely get where you're coming from, but I've come to accept that Disney/Lucasfilm needs to test the waters first, so to speak, with these spinoffs. Get the audience used to them with characters and situations they're familiar with. Then, once that happens, I think they'll really start to branch out.
redline248
AG
I honestly am not excited about a Lando movie. I'm not overly excited about a Han Solo movie, either.
TCTTS
AG
You realize it's the same movie, right?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

I think the risks will come in due time. I absolutely get where you're coming from, but I've come to accept that Disney/Lucasfilm needs to test the waters first, so to speak, with these spinoffs. Get the audience used to them with characters and situations they're familiar with. Then, once that happens, I think they'll really start to branch out.

Exactly. Think if Marvel had come out with Antman during their first go at it. You got to build the universe with known entities before you can start exploring the books and crannies.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I will never stop trumpeting this:

KOTOR!. KOTOR!
amercer
AG
Champ Bailey said:

TCTTS said:

Exactly. Think if Marvel had come out with Antman during their first go at it. You got to build the universe with known entities before you can start exploring the books and crannies.

Did marvel already have four avengers movies staring an iconic Iron Man before they recast him for spinoff back story movies?
redline248
AG
No. Ought to tell you about my excitement level.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
I'm obsessed with everything Donald Glover does. I couldn't be more excited.
The Collective
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, this one's sucking me in more and more...

http://www.slashfilm.com/han-solo-spin-off-story-details/
AliasMan02
AG
Worth noting that in the new EU, Han makes a living running interstellar racing teams post-Jedi. They put an emphasis on his ability to mod ships for speed, a la the Falcon.
TCTTS
AG
Could be pretty dang cool if they do something along those lines. I kind of like the Fast & Furious angle the article mentions. Not like races for the sake of just racing, but illegal racers/smugglers who get caught up in something much bigger.
TCTTS
AG
At this point, my one remaining reservation is, strangely enough, the height of the actors. Glover will no doubt knock the performance out of the park, and I think Ehrenreich will definitely be up to the task as well, but Han Solo always had the appearance of a taller guy to me. Ford is 6'1" where as Ehrenreich is only 5'9". And Billy Dee Williams is 6'0" where as Glover is 5'10". Granted, we're literally talking about a few small inches here, and there is obviously plenty of movie magic that can be done to make these guys appear taller. I guess my main worry is it coming across like Ehrenreich and Glover are playing dress up. Like normal dudes wearing Han and Lando Halloween costumes or something. I'm sure it'll be fine, and if that's my only reservation at this point, they're definitely doing something right so far.
Duncan Idaho
The height thing doesn't bother me.

"I can make Tom Cruz look like mother forking Yoa Ming" /ari gold
First Page Last Page
Page 493 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.