Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,791 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is, though.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
quote:
So, when you watched TPM for the first time, when did you first have that "oh ****, this is not what I was expecting" moment?

And... IBT the opening crawl.
Oh come on, who didn't have a WTF moment when they saw the word "taxation" in the opening crawl?

This. It almost needed a "can you scroll that past me again?" Taxation was quickly followed by the odd wording of "resolve the dispute with a blockade of deadly battleships".

Either way, i think my dick got hard when the music first cranked, but then the scroll was a bit like pulling down the dude's pants in the Crying Game.
MGS
quote:
The point where TPM got really stupid for 16-year-old me in 1999 was when they got in the submersible and "There's always a bigger fish."

Foreshadowing.

Death Star ->Death Star II -> Star Killer
Malachi Constant
AG
I never realized how well that phrase of poetry rhymes. Lucas is a genius.
TCTTS
AG
Really starting to enjoy this guy's SW videos so much. So to-the-point, funny, and informative. And this latest one is no exception...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was listening to Rebel Force Radio, and the guys were talking about the possibility of the entire series being re-released in theaters leading up to Episode VIII. (Remember they were going to do them all in 3D but stopped after TPM.)

Question for TCTTS (or anyone else in the know) - assuming they wanted to do this, do they have to strike a deal with Fox to do this or is the ball pretty much in Disney's court as far as theatrical re-releases?
Duncan Idaho
What's up with that guys racist accent?
The Collective
AG
quote:
Was listening to Rebel Force Radio, and the guys were talking about the possibility of the entire series being re-released in theaters leading up to Episode VIII.

Release the originals. I refuse to let my kid watch this bull*****
jabberwalkie09
AG
Agreed, yub-nub needs to be back in the movie for the celebration at the end.
redline248
AG
I still can't decide if that's worse than Greedo shooting first or not
boogieman
AG
I think so.
At least Greedo is over in a split second.

This dance/song sequence goes on...and on. Just awful.
redline248
AG
It makes the whole scene (and therefore movie) longer, right? So worthless...
The Collective
AG
quote:
I still can't decide if that's worse than Greedo shooting first or not

It is the worst thing they did. Worse than Greedo shooting. Worse than introducing Jabba in Episode IV. Worse than adding Force Ghost Hayden. It completely ruins the first sequence of the movie which I think is pretty damn good in the original.
redline248
AG
Yep, I'm in agreement.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree as well. The Tatooine story is great, but adding the dance number completely screws up the flow.
twilly
AG
And besides, Lapti Nek was a better song anyway.
TCTTS
AG
Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure they'd have to strike a deal with Fox for the first movie. And with the new TNT television deal, there may even be a clause that Disney can't release the movies in theaters for X amount months/years. I'm sure it's fairly complicated, otherwise I don't see why Disney didn't do it in the lead up to TFA.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:
Was listening to Rebel Force Radio, and the guys were talking about the possibility of the entire series being re-released in theaters leading up to Episode VIII.

You don't have the originals on DVD?
The Collective
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't have the originals on DVD?

I do, and that is what I have shown to my kid. I just thought it might be nice to see the originals on the big screen with him.
Flashdiaz
AG
my 6 year old asked me who shot first, Greedo or Han.... i promise I raised him right. Must be one of his first grade friends with young parents.
Beat40
Where does one find the originals on DVD?
The Collective
AG
quote:

I downloaded the despecialized versions online & burned them to DVDs . As an owner of the special editions, I don't feel bad about it, but others may question the legality of such a download. I would gladly pay Lucasfilm / Fox $100 if they would offer the original films as a set. For fun, here is Lucas' quote from long ago about releasing the originals:

quote:
The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. I'm not going to spend thewe're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it.
redline248
AG
quote:
It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be
Yep. Originally wanted Greedo to shoot first (thank goodness he missed), wanted there to be more pedestrian/bantha traffic in Mos Eisely, originally wanted the Saarlac to have a beak, and orginally wanted an American Idol performer in Jabba's palace. Oh, and wanted the galaxy to celebrate the fall of the Empire within hours of Palpatine's death.

He just couldn't include all that the first time, you guys.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
That scene where they are repulsoring up to Mos Eisley and there is an annoying flying droid that comes up to pester a loading droid and the loading droid smashes the flying droid with a fist...

I HATE that scene. It's the epitome of George Lucas tampering. What kind of programming would a droid have to 1. Make it annoy another droid that is working, 2. Taunt the other droid with audible sound, 3. Make the taunted droid get "upset", 4. Allow the taunted droid to damage property

None of these things follows any kind of logic.
AliasMan02
AG
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

I got a box set a couple years ago that has both the special editions and the originals.
An Ag in CO
AG
quote:
Disney's plans for a Marvel-style Star Wars cinematic universe won't be completely ruined if Rogue One is only a middling hit, but the studio will be forced to embark on a planned trilogy of Alden Ehrenreich-led young Han Solo movies from a position of weakness. And critics will begin to question if the beloved space opera really has foundations strong enough to support oodles of spin-off movies alongside the main saga. Iger revealed last week that a new writer has been recruited for a mysterious 2020 Star Wars film, details of which remains nebulous. But will we really ever get to see it if Rogue One struggles?

Star Wars is unlikely to ever plumb the depths of Caravan of Courage again, but you have to wonder why Lucasfilm failed to learn its lesson from the independently-produced TV spinoff. Star Wars without the Skywalkers and Solos is like Batman without Bruce Wayne, Harry Potter without Ron and Hermione, James Bond without M and Moneypenny.

It's not that audiences can't be persuaded, in the long-run, to buy into adventures with new heroes, but the chances of them doing so straight off the bat are probably up there with the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field with Imperial star destroyers on one's tail. Still, at least Star Wars fans have seen those odds beaten before.

From the Ben Child article.
AliasMan02
AG
Only thing that I argue with that is to point out that the Han Solo project doesn't seen to be a "planned trilogy" at all. They just signed him to a three movie deal, which is not the same thing. The trilogy thing was a jump people took based on that.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
That scene where they are repulsoring up to Mos Eisley and there is an annoying flying droid that comes up to pester a loading droid and the loading droid smashes the flying droid with a fist...

I HATE that scene. It's the epitome of George Lucas tampering. What kind of programming would a droid have to 1. Make it annoy another droid that is working, 2. Taunt the other droid with audible sound, 3. Make the taunted droid get "upset", 4. Allow the taunted droid to damage property

None of these things follows any kind of logic.
I'm not a fan of most of the tampering with the OT but what you're describing is consistent with how droids were portrayed across both the OT and the Prequels. R2 talked trash to C3PO from day one.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
Star Wars without the Skywalkers and Solos is like Batman without Bruce Wayne, Harry Potter without Ron and Hermione, James Bond without M and Moneypenny.

It's not that audiences can't be persuaded, in the long-run, to buy into adventures with new heroes, but the chances of them doing so straight off the bat are probably up there with the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field with Imperial star destroyers on one's tail. Still, at least Star Wars fans have seen those odds beaten before.

I completely disagree with this. Rogue One feels a little off marketing-wise not because it doesn't focus solely on the Skywalkers, but because the marketing itself - along with the timing of the movie - is confusing as hell to general audiences. Half the people legitimately think it's Episode VIII. And that's on Disney/Lucasfilm, not the audience. If a non-Skywalker movie - with all new characters - was marketed properly, and not squeezed between two saga films, audiences would fall in line, no problem. I'm actually hoping Episodes X-XII have nothing to do with the Skywalkers, and instead shift focus to another part of the galaxy altogether.

I've said this before, but the spin-offs should have started with either the Han Solo movie, which will be so crystal clear that it's prequel of sorts, or a spin-off dealing with the early Jedi Order or something. Just anything that doesn't also feature a mid-20s British brunette female lead leading an attack centered around another planet-sized base. It would have been perfect to see Han Solo die in TFA, then follow immediately with his backstory. Or if not, get a bit more experimental and do something like that Seven Samurai / Jedi thing Zack Snyder was talking about. Either way, Star Wars can be so much bigger than the Skywalkers, and thinking it can't because Rogue One potentially underperforms is so wrong-headed and unfair.
Malachi Constant
AG
We need a KOTOR Movie, and Emily Blunt needs to be Bastila.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
We need a KOTOR Movie, and Emily Blunt needs to be Bastila.

Lucasfilm will never adapt a game/novel/comic for the big screen. That is a rich timeline, though, and I can see a character like Bastila being a big influence on a future character design.
The Collective
AG
I actually forgot about this little edit earlier. This might be equally as upsetting as what was done to Jabba's Palace.
redline248
AG
That's in the bluray? incredible.
Duncan Idaho
As powerful as the emperor was, why didn't he force jump or fly or levitate ?
First Page Last Page
Page 481 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.