Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,025 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Wasn't Avatar mostly just the Battle of Endor?

Fern Gully dude
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Things that make David Goyer mad usually make me happy.

That seems like a random thing to throw in there. TCTTS, any idea if there's a story behind this?

I think Goyer's just kind of a whiney b*tch sometimes. A lot of internet guys don't like him. Also probably has to do with the fact that he's never really made a good movie, but he kind of has this air of superiority about him because he was Nolan's go-to guy on The Dark Knight movies. He definitely gives off somewhat of I'm-better-than-you vibe when it comes to comic book fans. Doubt it's anything specific.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/11/2014 3:32p).]
TCTTS
AG
Come to think of it, Latino Review were not only the first to break the original Batman Begins plot, they were also the first to break the Heath Ledger as the Joker news. I'm sure Goyer likely griped about both those things publicly.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If Star Wars ends up being a great movie, I think it could break 2 billion, especially with a 3D release. Everyone and their grandmother will see it and fanboys starving for a good Star Wars movie will see it 10 times. Avatar will make a lot, but will stay in the 1 billion range. It'll make more over seas, but it's become a popular movie to hate, especially among the conservative crowd that hated the anti military pro environment message.
TCTTS
AG
If Episode VII is good, it'll be the highest grossing movie of all time, no question.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
just 10 times? I saw Phantom Menace 3 times the day it opened! And it was horrible!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Were you hoping that it would magically get better?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$1.8 billion was my "conservative" estimate. If it's got half the hype Phantom Menace had, combined with great reviews, plus the nostalgia factor and reuniting the original stars, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it breaks Avatar's record.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I saw TPM opening weekend and it turned me into a Star Wars fan. Granted I was 11 at the time. But I still love that movie.
NOW I understand your prequel love. You were 11. Yes, TPM would have been badass at 11.

I was 21. Suuuuucked.

Had you seen any of the originals before TPM?
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
Wasn't Avatar mostly just the Battle of Endor?

Fern Gully dude

Dances With Smurfs
InnerCityAg
Smurf Metal Jackass
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Had you seen any of the originals before TPM?

Once or twice throughout my childhood, but I wasn't into them religiously or anything. When the OT DVD box set came out in 2004 is when I really got into them.
YouBet
AG
To each his own, but man, spending 9 hours at the theater in one day watching the same movie 3 times? There isn't a movie that has ever been made that I would do that at any age!
mid90
AG
quote:
I saw TPM opening weekend and it turned me into a Star Wars fan. Granted I was 11 at the time. But I still love that movie.

I was 9 when I saw the first poster for TPM. I was a hardcore Star Wars fan already, and I was so excited for the new movie. IIRC the poster was a scene of the cruiser that Anakin & co. escaped from Naboo in, just sitting in the Tatooine desert. I think it also had Anakin looking at the ship with his back facing the camera.

Anyways, I was super excited for the movie and I absolutely loved it. As a kid, I thought Jar Jar was funny and had no complaints about the movie. As an adult, I hate him with a passion, but otherwise I still think TPM is a fantastic movie.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, man, I'm so incredibly glad I wasn't in elementary school / junior high when TPM came out. I was 18. Went with over 20 friends opening night. The second it was over, I'll never forget how it felt like the air had been let out of that theater. Just deflated, as if every person there was embarrassed to have ever been excited for that movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I was 20 and didn't hate it. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. I did hate the next one though. The only good thing about Attack of the Clones was seeing Yoda finally kick some ass. The rest of the movie was awful. At least Revenge of the Sith had some redeeming qualities to it.
TCTTS
AG
^ Agreed. The Anakin/Padme stuff in AotC is hands down the worst of any of the six movies.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/13/2014 12:50p).]
TajMaballer
AG
I was 11 when I saw Attack of the Clones. I went to India that summer and we got a bootleg copy of it, so I watched it close to every day (it was way too hot outside to do anything, so I stayed inside)

At the time, I really liked it. Watched it a few years later before Sith and hated myself for watching it so many times.

[This message has been edited by TajMaballer (edited 7/13/2014 12:27p).]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The thrill of ANOTHER STAR WARS MOVIE - along with young Obi-Wan, the battles with Maul, etc., made it easy to watch it 3 times, hell I saw it 14 times in the theater in all.

AOTC is the weakest of the prequels, particularly the music. A bunch of the music is just recycled from TPM, I've never figured out why.

For all their flaws, I love the prequels and will watch them anytime they are on. I'm a fan through and through, just like when I watch the Aggies lose to U-La-La or Iowa State. Those are my movies, just like A&M's my team.

My brother, my dad and I have seen all six Star Wars movies together within a day of them opening.

In 1977, my dad was 29, my brother was 6 and I was 3.
In 2005, my dad showed how hardcore he was by going to the midnight showing of ROTS at age 57. It was awesome.

And in either December 2015 or May 2016, we'll go see Episode VII together, and I can't wait for that day it to come.

[This message has been edited by MuckRaker96 (edited 7/13/2014 1:21p).]
TCTTS
redline248
AG
Great story, muck
Ulrich
I saw Ep I in the theaters and it would have been when I was 12 or so, but I don't remember it being life changing or being obsessed with the movie. I'm not entirely sure whether I remember the movie itself at all from that viewing. I still put it in the lineup for marathons out of a feeling of obligation (just like AOTC), but I'm never really happy about that choice. Usually I'll nap through part of both of those.
Knife_Party
I was 14 when I saw TPM in the movie theaters. After I saw it I became obsessed with Natalie Portman. When Clones came out 3 years later that had pretty much abated, and I was old enough to recognize the **** that was the love scene writing and the way Lucas directed Christensen to deliver his lines throughout Clones and Revenge.

[This message has been edited by boneyendoplasm (edited 7/14/2014 7:56p).]
redline248
AG
In 34 now and Natalie Portman still warrants obsession.

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 7/14/2014 8:09p).]
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I was old enough to recognize the **** that was the love scene writing and the way Lucas directed Christensen to deliver his lines throughout Clones and Revenge

"The Jedi turned against me, don't you turn against me"........ "YOU TURNED HER AGAINST ME!"

Nope, I have no idea what you are talking about bro!!!

But yeah, there was a lot of bad acting/lines in the original trilogy, I was just too young to know any better. It will be hilarious if all us old guys LOVE these new ones and most kids are like "meh".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
AOTC is the weakest of the prequels, particularly the music. A bunch of the music is just recycled from TPM, I've never figured out why.

Say what? That's a great soundtrack. Across The Stars is probably the greatest piece of music from the PT.
redline248
AG
Dual of the Fates, bro. Don't care if it's been played by a million and 1 college/high school bands.
InnerCityAg
Lucas's main problem was trying to force in the kid friendly characters to an audience that were at least 20 years old.

Look at the ewoks and droids from the original trilogy and tell me you think that would be awesome today if you saw it.
InnerCityAg
And the bad dialogue didn't help one bit.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Lucas's main problem was trying to force in the kid friendly characters to an audience that were at least 20 years old.

Look at the ewoks and droids from the original trilogy and tell me you think that would be awesome today if you saw it.

The droids are still one of the best parts of the originals, especially episode IV. They serve a very important narrative purpose. Ewoks are in a while other category.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ewoks. They blow.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My favorite tracks from the prequels

1) Duel of the Fates - TPM
2) Watto's Deal & Kids at Play - TPM
3) Panaka & The Queen's Protectors - TPM
4) Across the Stars - AOTC
5) Battle of the Heroes - ROTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For me:
1a. Across the Stars (AOTC)
1b. Duel of the Fates (TPM)
3. Battle of the Heroes (ROTS)
4. Augie's Great Municipal Band (TPM)
5. A New Hope and End Credits (ROTS)
6. Anakin's Dark Deeds (ROTS)
7. The Droid Invasion and the Appearance of Darth Maul (TPM)
8. Padme's Ruminations (ROTS) -- love how eerie it is, the impending sense of things about to go to hell

Regardless of your feelings on the PT, you can't deny the awesomeness of those soundtracks.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 7/16/2014 1:47p).]
PatAg
AG
The one thing, for sure, that the prequels did right was have the feel of star wars movies. Primarily provided by the incomparable John Williams.

Darth Maul was awesome. Whether or not it really made sense, the pod racing scenes were good.(slightly marred by using a child actor).

I'm too lazy to find it, but someone posted an edited story line on youtube that would have made an excellent set of movies.
First Page Last Page
Page 48 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.