Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,495 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Red Five
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not like he would have had to break out a metal detector to find it. he could have located it with the force and brought it back in 5 seconds all while moving Vader.

(EU warning)
Green definitely for Luke. Blue is the color of Jedi Guardians, those that manifest the force through primarily physical abilities, very much the path of Anakin. Green is for Jedi Consulars, those who are more meditative and mindful of the mysteries of the force itself. Early on, Luke was more about raw power, but as a sole Jedi attempting to either discover the nature of the force with no master or to rebuild a new order, Green seems more appropriate.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Qui Gonn and Yoda.
Farmer1906
AG
What does EU say about purple?
benMath08
AG
The EU books says your lightsaber can be whatever color you damn well please. The video games say blue for the "fighters", green for the "thinkers".
redline248
AG
Red 5, who knows if it skipped off down a pit?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Purple is for if you're Samuel L Jackson.
Hagen95
AG
Purple is for you if your wallet says bad mother ****er on it.
Ulrich
Dammit Hagen. Beat me to it.

Almost everything I've seen says there is no pattern or meaning to the colors other than red = Sith. Also, blue=fighter and green=thinker is exactly opposite of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in the movies.
redline248
AG
Older Obi-Wan, maybe. There was a bit of overlap for both, imo.
Knife_Party
Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic said Green was for consular/meditative types, blue was for guardians, and yellow was for sentinels. I don't really care what the color's are for, I personally think green is a baddass colored saber and that light blue looks pansy-assed.
AliasMan02
AG
To the best of my knowledge, the only canon about lightsaber color (from the Clone Wars) is that the cave they were using to collect gems only had blue or green. Naturally, your specific crystal calls to you in the cave and you learn a lesson. Color isn't mentioned specifically as having to do with anything.
Farmer1906
AG
I want a maroon one.
Ulrich
quote:
Older Obi-Wan, maybe. There was a bit of overlap for both, imo.

Episode I pretty clearly makes the point that Obi-Wan is a thinker while Qui-Gon lives in the moment.

quote:

OBI-WAN
Master Yoda says I should be mindful
of the future...

QUI-GON
...but not at the expense of the
moment. Be mindful of the living
Force, my young Padawan.

quote:
QUI-GON
You have been a good apprentice. You
are much wiser than I am, Obi-Wan.
I foresee you will become a great
Jedi Knight.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Opening lines ...

Obi-Wan: "I have a bad feeling about this."

Qui-Gon: "I don't sense anything."

Now when Qui-Gon was getting gutted by Darth Maul, I wonder if he thought back to that exchange and thought "Wow, I am one crappy Jedi. In the two weeks since I made that statement, we've been betrayed and almost killed by the Trade Federation, nearly died several times in a submarine; narrowly escaped a blockade; met a kid who might be the answer to the prophesy; I fought a guy who might be a Sith, who we thought were gone for 800 years; some guy from Naboo got elected Supreme Chancellor after Chancellor Valorum got kicked out of office or god knows what; we were part of a full-scale battle on a normally peaceful planet that saw thousands of peace-loving creatures get slaughtered, and I didn't sense anything?"
benMath08
AG
Hey look, if you want to tell Bioware that their color/class lightsaber combinations for KOTOR didn't match Episode 1 with Obi-Wan and Qui Gon, be my guest. I'm just the messenger.
Buck Compton
AG
I loved the idea that a class went with a specific color in KOTOR. Easy way to tell which way people go about their business and was easy to defeat them if you chose to go to the dark side in KOTOR. Which actually makes sense as to why colors wouldn't mean anything at all in the canonized world, as it would be easier for the dark side being all red to fight certain Jedi in certain ways.

That, and as mentioned, the colors actually clashed with the ultimate canon, the original trilogy.
redline248
AG
Ulrich, I get what you're saying but I take it to mean don't get stuck looking to the future when you need to figure out what's happening right now.

Would you agree Yoda was more thinker? He scolded Luke for always looking to the future and never paying attention to what he was doing.
redline248
AG
Oh, and muck, when Qui-Gon said that, had the neimoidians contacted Sidious yet and received the order to kill the Jedi?
Twelfthman
AG
The blue=fighter, green=thinker isn't exactly an apt description. Blue used the force to primarily augment their physical skills (Guardians), Green used the force in ways that were more "scholarly", like healing, craftsmanship, teaching, and history (Consular).

There were only a handful of notable Jedi Consular in the movies, with Yoda being the most obvious. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke, and Mace Windu were all Guardians.

So crystal color was an afterthought in the movies, though used appropriately in some cases (Yoda, Kit Fisto, Anakin, Obi-Wan) and disregarded for others.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jedi Master Yoda
brents1975
I always liked the blue better. Maybe bc it was the only color I knew for the first 6 years?
whiskey02
AG
Most things in the movies seem to be afterthoughts.
BigBrother
AG
quote:
Now when Qui-Gon was getting gutted by Darth Maul, I wonder if he thought back to that exchange and thought "Wow, I am one crappy Jedi. In the two weeks since I made that statement, we've been betrayed and almost killed by the Trade Federation, nearly died several times in a submarine; narrowly escaped a blockade; met a kid who might be the answer to the prophesy; I fought a guy who might be a Sith, who we thought were gone for 800 years; some guy from Naboo got elected Supreme Chancellor after Chancellor Valorum got kicked out of office or god knows what; we were part of a full-scale battle on a normally peaceful planet that saw thousands of peace-loving creatures get slaughtered, and I didn't sense anything?"

"....and worst of all- I met Jar Jar Binks."
TCTTS
AG
Even I'm getting sick of this now. Despite it being an apparent impossibility, talks of Episode VII to 2016 are presumable back on (or never simmered in the first place)...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/star-wars-may-the-2016-be-with-you

Episode VII and Batman v Superman just need to go ahead and switch places already. BvS has been filming for months, and with a little reshuffling, I think they could definitely move up to December 2015, no problem. Captain America 3 could then stay in early May '16, Episode VII could take over Memorial Day Weekend, and X-Men:Apocalypse could move off that date to June or July '16. Then the Avatar franchise could have Christmas all to itself again, Star Wars would be back in the summer, and everyone's happy. This will of course never happen, though, because it makes too much sense.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/11/2014 1:34p).]
Farmer1906
AG
Does anyone really care about Avatar 2? I feel like the first one was a hit because of the 3d. Now its a little bit old hat.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Hugely looking forward to Avatar 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Does anyone really care about Avatar 2?

Lol. Yeah, I'm sure it'll bomb.
Farmer1906
AG
Not bomb, but not even in the same stratosphere as the first one.
Ulrich
Avatar was an Event. I'm not sure Avatar 2 will have the same punch, and it seems exceedingly unlikely that it will be on the same level as a Star Wars that is already building up pretty insane levels of anticipation somewhere between 1 and 7 years out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Wasn't Avatar mostly just the Battle of Endor?
LeonardSkinner
FWIW, I'm already off the Avatar train. It was nice to look at, but it wasn't that great of a movie, imo. Countless other movies that I would watch again before that, or before going to see a sequel.
Farmer1906
AG
Glad I'm not the only one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree that Star Wars VII will outgross Avatar.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My insanely early predictions:
Star Wars Ep VII: $450 million domestic, $1.8 billion worldwide
Avatar 2: $390 million domestic, $1.4 billion worldwide
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Things that make David Goyer mad usually make me happy.

That seems like a random thing to throw in there. TCTTS, any idea if there's a story behind this?
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.