Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,728 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So much hate b/c Teddy Bears. You don't think the freaking Imperial capital would be stamping out any celebrations? Or that people might not even believe the emperor was dead, yet? There would not be galaxy wide partying an hour after the Death Star goes boom.

You are right. And based on the movies, I don't see any hint of instantaneous, interplanetary communication until this moment.
redline248
AG
So explain to me who the Rebels are going to tell on Coruscant. Some sleeper agents or spys? What are they going to do, go door to door singing Ding Dong the Emperor is Dead? The news outlets aren't going to report that the Empire has been defeated. It makes zero sense.

not to mention I made no argument that people could not relay a message.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, the ending of SE ROTJ is a far better bookend to the saga as a whole than the original version.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The idea that the Empire would capitulate is the worst part about that whole scene.

Canon now is actually that the party on Coruscant was immediately broken up by Imperial security wailing on people.
This type of thing would be really cool to see. Something akin to the capital stormtroopers in the Hunger Games series who attack and kill people in the districts for intimidation.

I guess we sort of see this in the opening scene of TFA, but I hope they push this even farther.
The Collective
AG
Yep. It makes zero sense.
Urban Ag
AG
My brother and I watched ROTJ with our kids about a month ago. We had a pretty good Ewok chuckle. I mean, not only were these primitive, tree dwelling, teddy bears such fierce warriors that they could take out an entire legion of Palpatine's finest troops, but they could lumberjack like nobody's business. Literally, within hours of befriending the rebels they fell hundreds of massive redwoods, stacked them, even suspended them from trees. And they got the AT-ST's to walk exactly to the spot they laid their traps. Amazing.
redline248
AG
Those are actually traps built against some giant mountain species that lives on Endor and occasionally attacks the ewoks. They were repurposed for battle.

#canon
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
The idea that the Empire would capitulate is the worst part about that whole scene.

Canon now is actually that the party on Coruscant was immediately broken up by Imperial security wailing on people.
Perhaps they never officially capitulated? The Imperial fleet was defeated at Endor, certainly, and the leader of the Empire was killed as well, but it does stand to reason that there are other Imperial Navy units in the galaxy. It seems possible those units retreated rather than unleash fury, and at some point reformed into this First Order business of The Force Awakens. I don't know, just a thought on this, and I will say that I never really thought of this before because I never expected a new Star Wars movie that would follow up on Jedi.

As for what is canon, I admittedly have never kept up with all that, so ok, Imperial troops shut down the Coruscant celebration. Seems they did a pretty crappy job, what with them allowing the statue of Palpatine to be brought down.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Those are actually traps built against some giant mountain species that lives on Endor and occasionally attacks the ewoks. They were repurposed for battle.

#canon
The Gorax!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
So much hate b/c Teddy Bears. You don't think the freaking Imperial capital would be stamping out any celebrations? Or that people might not even believe the emperor was dead, yet? There would not be galaxy wide partying an hour after the Death Star goes boom.
Don't know. As I said in my above post, this is the first I've thought about what happened after Jedi because I never thought there would be any movies following Jedi.

As for the Ewoks, yeah, I loathe them. When I watch Jedi, I watch the Jabba part, and then skip ahead to when Luke tells Leia they are siblings. The Ewoks SUCK ASS. Horrible decision on Lucas' part. They were created as a marketing ploy to sell more toys and stuffed animals and crap. I get that some here were the target age for that stuff in 1983; I was half way through high school, so of course I hated those teddy bears. I still hate them. Lucas should have stuck with the original thought of wookies.
AliasMan02
AG
The Empire doesn't capitulate until after the battle Jakku, over a year after Endor. They draw up the treaty that sends them to their corner of the galaxy where they quiety grow into the FO (with secretive/subversive support from factions of the Republic Senate).

Over that year the Empire was basically ruled by a variety of Imperial officers turned warlords, many of which denied the Emperor's death at all.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
How dare you! Yub nub for life.
No kidding. I'd rather be slowly digested in the belly of Sarlacc for a thousand years with Yub Nub playing on a loop in the background than hear one second of Victory Celebration.
twilly
AG
And no love for Lapti Nek?
Ag Since 83
AG
Victory Celebration is easy listening crap that doesn't fit with the celebrations at all.

There's a lot wrong with the Ewoks, but Yub Nub rocks.
The Collective
AG
I feel great that the Celebration vs. Yub Nub debate is going again without me even having to post it as the weekly video.
Flashdiaz
AG

creepy force ghost Anakin is creepy
TCTTS
AG
Interesting. An upgrade, in my opinion...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387
TCTTS
AG
Btw, this basically proves how extensive the Rogue One reshoots were. I still don't buy that "40%" number, but it definitely wasn't just insert/cockpit shots either, as some had claimed.
The Collective
AG
There is a weird vibe around this movie from the reshoot issue and bringing in help for Edwards, to the poorly done panel at Celebration, and now this. Hope the film works out and is entertaining.
AliasMan02
AG
Is this not a SUPER late change? The movie is on screens in less than three months.
TCTTS
AG
It is. Hoping this is one of those things that actually happened a month ago, but the news is just now breaking. Even then, though, it'd be pretty dang late.
The Collective
AG
Making SW had this article in April:
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/is-alexandre-desplat-still-composing-the-music-for-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, collectively, it's definitely a bit troublesome. I wold add the marketing to that list as well. I've actually LOVED both trailers, but there's still so much confusion amongst casual movie-goers. Too many reports of people who still think this is Episode VIII, that Vader is back from the dead, etc. How Lucasfilm didn't frame the first trailer more as a prequel to A New Hope is beyond me. What they did at Celebration this year was perfect, where the opening crawl to ANH began, but was then "interrupted" right where the stealing of the plans is mentioned. A version of something like that should have kicked off the first trailer / public marketing. There's just absolutely no context AROUND the movie. Sure, most people get the gist from the footage itself, but Lucasfilm shouldn't be relying on just that.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I think it was a miss not to incorporate the original teaser trailer dialogue that was leaked from Kenobi (For over a thousand generations...) for part of the first public trailer. It would have given a better sense to those people who may be confused.

What worries me about the switch between composers is that we are a little over 3 months until release.
TCTTS
AG
I will say that Giacchino works super fast. The guy is incredibly prolific. Yes, it's super late, but I'm honestly not that worried about it. We're talking about a guy who scored network TV forever (Alias and Lost), and scored it well. He knows what it's like to work under the gun.
double aught
AG
I like his main theme from the new Star Wars flicks a lot.

Oops...yes, I meant Star Trek.
TCTTS
AG
You mean Trek? Yeah, his work there is some of the best in the past decade or so, in terms of blockbusters.
Ag Since 83
AG
TC, what is the typical timing of scoring a film? The original SW score wasn't recorded until March of '77, but that doesn't take into account however long it took Williams to write it.

I have been a fan of Giacchino ever since Lost, and his Pixar and Star Trek scores have been top notch.

He also gave a short and sweet Oscar speech for Up

tamuangry
How dark of an ending would you tolerate for a Star Wars movie?

I am excited for Rogue One based on the trailers I've seen and will likely enjoy it regardless. But I suspect that the storyline will be more upbeat than it could've been (should've been?) written. I see this movie as an excellent opportunity to offer a more gritty look at the dark days of the rebellion. Even better, the cast of characters are throw aways since you have no room within the timeline for a sequel. Let the main characters die. Bring some depth of feeling and a sense of the hopeless cause that leads to wonderful relief at the end of ep. IV.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed. Love Giacchino. LOST soundtrack is one of my favorites.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Vader kills everyone. The end.

(Not sarcasm.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently this is official. Not a fan.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Apparently this is official. Not a fan.

DEF Photoshop!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly!. Yikes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh geez. Korean version.

I'm sorry, but how is this garbage being released? Is there no quality control? We're talking about one of the biggest media franchises in the world, and this is the best they could do?
First Page Last Page
Page 475 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.