Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,939 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Edited cause the previous poster has faster fingers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm actually going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume these were made by poorly paid Japanese and Koreans and they did not have to go through the same approval process a US poser would go through. Kennedy would never approve that sh*t.

Maybe TCTTS can shed some light.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dro07
AG
quote:
Oh geez. Korean version.

I'm sorry, but how is this garbage being released? Is there no quality control? We're talking about one of the biggest media franchises in the world, and this is the best they could do?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Oh geez. Korean version.

I'm sorry, but how is this garbage being released? Is there no quality control? We're talking about one of the biggest media franchises in the world, and this is the best they could do?
Translating the Korean letters is actually funny:

Roh-gkeh oh-ahn

Suh-TAh oAHR-SS Suh-TOH-rl-ee

(Think of a guttural Ken Watanabe speaking, like Inception)
AliasMan02
AG
The posters have a certain style that screams Asian media to me. I wonder if it isn't intentional.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, these were no doubt made by some Asian marketing wing of Disney. The same team who handles all the domestic marketing materials has nothing to do with the foreign ones.
wangus12
AG
I would like a pretty dark ending. Vader easily wiping the Rebels aside as he hunts them down would satisfy me.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I would like a pretty dark ending. Vader easily wiping the Rebels aside as he hunts them down would satisfy me.

Last line? Vader stands over Erso's dead body, still somehow wearing a wry "screw you" smile. "Admiral. Pursue and disable the Tantive IV. I want them alive."

? Meh, not great... Gotta be along those lines, though, right?
TCTTS
AG
Here are few Giacchino-scored projects/dates I could find for reference. Granted, these don't include writing time, but I would imagine Giacchino has been writing Rogue One for at least a couple weeks by now, if not longer. Either way, these all feel about on par with the timing for Rogue One. And again, Giacchino tends to work far more often, and a bit more down-to-the-wire than other composers...

Doctor Strange
Release Date: November 4, 2016
Began Scoring: Early August 2016

Star Trek Beyond
Release Date: July 22, 2016
Began Scoring: Late May 2016

Jurassic World
Release Date: June 12, 2015
Began Scoring: Early April 2015

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Release Date: June 11, 2014
Began Scoring: Early May 2014
TCTTS
AG
Btw, Giacchino will have recorded scores for Zootopia, Star Trek Beyond, Doctor Strange, and Rogue One in 2016. In 2015 he recorded scores for Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland, Inside Out, and Jurassic World., the latter three of which came out within ONE MONTH of each other. That's insane.
AliasMan02
AG
You know, the score is something I haven't thought much about. It's an interesting challenge. Will we even hear the Star Wars theme?
TCTTS
AG
We've heard variations of a couple different classic SW themes in the trailers, so I bet we at least get some eye winks and homages here and there.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
Stark Trek Beyond
Release Date: July 22, 2016
Began Scoring: Late May 2016

Tony Stark treking through Orion women?
TCTTS
AG
Ha. Missed that.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Cross-post :

Someone posted this video (which I really agree with):

So I went to remind myself which composer was doing Rogue One and saw THIS!!!!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387

quote:
'Star Wars: Rogue One' Replaces Its Composer

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
, the first stand-alone movie in theStar Wars franchise, will be whistling a new tune.

Michael Giacchino, the composer behind such films as the Star Trek reboot and Pixar movies ranging from The Incredibles toInside Out, will score the upcoming pic, stepping in for Alexandre Desplat, who was originally slated to work on the movie.

The recent reshoots are behind the switch, according to sources.

Rogue One underwent extensive reshoots this summer that saw writer Tony Gilroy take on a filmmaker role during the shoot and the postproduction process as Disney and Lucasfilm sought to clarify story and tonal issues for the pic that is set to open Dec. 16.
This scare the **** out of me, that the director is over-involved in the score (thus the re-shoots) and is using TEMP music via new composer Michael Giacchino to fill out the film's music.

This would make the film underwhelming to me... I hope this late change and re-cuts don't affect the music....
TCTTS
AG

quote:
This scare the **** out of me, that the director is over-involved in the score (thus the re-shoots) and is using TEMP music via new composer Michael Giacchino to fill out the film's music.

What are you referring to, re: temp music? I don't understand.
TCTTS
AG
Just to be clear, Alexandre Desplat may or may not have already recorded music for the movie. I'd be surprised if he hadn't started writing, but I seriously doubt he had recorded anything yet. Regardless, Giacchino is doing ALL NEW music from scratch. Sure, he may take inspiration from whatever Desplat may or may not have written, and I'm sure the director(s) will give Giacchino the same notes/inspiration he/they gave Desplat, but he's making the film's score his own. He wasn't hired to do some band-aid job.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
On another viewing of TFA, I had a random observation/thought. I fully admit that this is very likely reading too much into things that I don't know even crossed JJ's mind, but...

I always thought it was weird that Finn wasn't floating in Bacta in Rey's goodbye scene. There is also an awful lot of activity as Rey is leaving. Ultimately I think this is all because the Resistance is actively evacuating their base on D'Qar as Rey departs.

Some of us have theorized about the first act of Episode VIII since learning it will pick up immediately at the close of VII. An opening chase as the Resistance flees a First Order counterattack is certainly a great Star Warsy intro.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
On another viewing of TFA, I had a random observation/thought. I fully admit that this is very likely reading too much into things that I don't know even crossed JJ's mind, but...

I always thought it was weird that Finn wasn't floating in Bacta in Rey's goodbye scene. There is also an awful lot of activity as Rey is leaving. Ultimately I think this is all because the Resistance is actively evacuating their base on D'Qar as Rey departs.

Some of us have theorized about the first act of Episode VIII since learning it will pick up immediately at the close of VII. An opening chase as the Resistance flees a First Order counterattack is certainly a great Star Warsy intro.

I hope they address his injuries. He did get sliced across the back. I was kind of hoping he'd be wheelchair bound or have robotic spider legs

On another tfa note, why aren't Kylo's eyes yellow? I suppose he's not fully consumed by the dark side.
redline248
AG
quote:
On another tfa note, why aren't Kylo's eyes yellow? I suppose he's not fully consumed by the dark side.

How did Palpatine hide his yellow eyes all those years as chancellor?
512Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

It's a well-known fact that Jedi can't detect a pair of natural-looking colored contacts.
redline248
AG
We'll, you know, the dark side does cloud everything
AliasMan02
AG
The yellow eyes thing is a very Lucas-y element. It's an immediate and easy physical identifier of something internal and fairly complex. A shortcut, that isn't fully thought through.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

Hmmm yes I can see it now......

• Suddenly it has become winter and the resistance is hurriedly evacuating as the FO attacks....
  • Finn somehow is trapped in a cave with a snow beast....Po goes out in the dangerous temps to rescue him despite Leia's warnings. In the morning they find them inside a tauntaun for warmth.
  • Meanwhile Luke and Rey have landed/crashed on a swamp planet to begin her training and live in a hut.
  • Kylo summons bounty hunter Greedo Fett grandson of Boba...who works for Unkar Plutt on Jakku.
  • Finn and Po escape with Leia and Chewy and after hiding in an asteroid field that turns out to be a monster worm thing that east metal ships...they go to a cloud city.
  • Luke trains Rey and makes her carry him on her shoulders, she sees images of Kylo in a cave.
  • They meet octogenarian Lando Calrissian....BB8 gets disassembled and Finn gets captured and frozen when Lando betrays them to Kylo Ren in exchange for a floating wheelchair with blasters.
  • Rey senses this and leaves her training early despite Luke shaking his head.
  • Greedo Fett leaves taking Finn's frozen body back to Jakku for a bounty from the Resistance.
  • Rey arrives at cloud city and falls into Kylo's trap...Kylo severs Reys hand and then reveals he is her brother!!!!
  • Rey is ejected beneath cloud city and Chewy and Leia rescue her with the Millennium Falcon, having escaped when Lando felt regret and helped them.
  • Later aboard a medical frigate Rey receives a mechanical hand.
  • Meanwhile Lando and Chewy set off to Jakku to rescue Finn from Unkar Plutt...and C3PO, BB8, R2D2, Leia, Po, Luke and Rey look out a window and wait.

jeffk
AG
^ 10/10 would watch opening weekend.
AggieSouth06
Best score in the whole series
Ag Since 83
AG
Any Battlefront players out there, the Death Star expansion pack is coming Tuesday for season pass holders, and 2 weeks later for everyone else:

SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Just to be clear, Alexandre Desplat may or may not have already recorded music for the movie. I'd be surprised if he hadn't started writing, but I seriously doubt he had recorded anything yet. Regardless, Giacchino is doing ALL NEW music from scratch. Sure, he may take inspiration from whatever Desplat may or may not have written, and I'm sure the director(s) will give Giacchino the same notes/inspiration he/they gave Desplat, but he's making the film's score his own. He wasn't hired to do some band-aid job.
This isn't what I am talking about - not worried that he's just building on what Desplat may (or may not) have done already. In fact, if Desplat already had some stuff, that might be better. There are 2 problems here...

1. Watch the video I linked above. Temp music is where the director uses some other movie's music during the cutting process just to "fill in" while making cuts and then he becomes attached to that sound during that scene and forces the composer to use "something like this" for that scene. It makes all music across the genre sound the same and is borderline intellectual property theft. It makes the music unremarkable and unrecognizable (like white noise).

Not as big of a concern, but:
2. Michael Giacchino has been involved with some big movies but over-reuses his themes (more-so than most other composer's I've heard) and somehwhat off-putting to a music lover. His themes are nearly the same thing throughout the entire movie just played at different tempos and volumes. Some may like this, but I like much more variety.
quote:
As much as I like Michael Giacchino, I feel some of his film scores are a bit samey. He's great at doing these big triumphant fanfares but I think he can depend too much on the one piece of music. Star Trek is a perfect example, everytime the Enterprise arises from the crowds you have the new Star Trek theme.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Midichlorian Glammer
TCTTS
AG
I know what temp music is, I just didn't understand your complaint. I get it now, and understand, but I have to say that never really bothers me when it comes to Giacchino's music. Ha, I actually love it every time the Enterprise arises and the new Trek theme plays. But again, the "sameness" complaint is valid, it just never really bothers me with him for some reason.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I know what temp music is, I just didn't understand your complaint. I get it now, and understand, but I have to say that never really bothers me when it comes to Giacchino's music. Ha, I actually love it every time the Enterprise arises and the new Trek theme plays. But again, the "sameness" complaint is valid, it just never really bothers me with him for some reason.
Cool... I actually like the new Start Trek theme alot; I am hoping for good things with Rogue One, but I am on the fence with Giacchino.
The Collective
AG
I actually just watched that Star Trek over the weekend again. Really enjoyable movie, and the music is great (even if a bit repetitive). At least, the music from the movie is memorable.
IronRed13
AG
The "sameness" issue happens with all composers though. They all have some favorite theme or method that influences their work. You can usually tell a Hans Zimmer soundtrack from Danny Elfman. One that drove me crazy recently was rewatching Enemy at the Gates and I noticed the trumpet trills that James Horner later used so much in Avatar as well. I like this break down of Hans' music. He may do it the most.

First Page Last Page
Page 476 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.