Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,412 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
^
Correct.

ROTS is the best of the prequels, but even if it was the ONLY prequel film they made, it would still be fourth out of ANH, ESB, and ROTJ.
jbanda
AG
Agree wholeheartedly.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:
This discussion has been had at least twice on this thread.

Rots > Rotj

Move along.

Not in a million f***ing years. ROTS gets love because it's slightly less awful that what preceded it, but it's still an absolutely terrible and terribly made movie.

Who gives it love? It's just as unwatchable as the first 2.
jr15aggie
AG
Whoever said ROTJ has the best space battle of any Star Wars film is absolutely correct. It's called Star Wars and Jedi had the most kick ass space battle of any film... How can you possibly have it ranked below any prequel.

As much as I loved TFA, I was let down with zero space battles (even though the final fight did sorta venture into space briefly, it didn't really count).

Philip J Fry
AG
My biggest problem with ROTJ is 3CPO more than anything else. So many scenes in there that are eye rollingly bad. A decent preview for the prequels.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
My biggest problem with ROTJ is 3CPO more than anything else. So many scenes in there that are eye rollingly bad. A decent preview for the prequels.

3PO telling their story to the Ewoks with the use of the sound effects was perhaps his greatest moment, imo.
Hagen95
AG
We should ban Philip for a day for not spelling C3PO correctly.
Philip J Fry
AG
I wish I could blame my phone for that.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I rank these films thusly: The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, Attack of the Clones, and The Phantom Menace.

Sith opens with an awesome space battle. It's not followed very long as the point is following Obi-Wan and Anakin in a rescue of the kidnapped chancellor, but while that battle was on screen it was fantastic. Lots of stuff happening in every frame. Jedi, however, spends a good bit of on screen time on its big battle, and I will give it the edge for a different reason altogether - it was accomplished entirely with models and blue screen, no CGI, completely old school visual effects.

I rank Sith ahead of Jedi because of the freaking Ewoks. To me that was the preview of the things that a lot of people here gripe about the prequels. George Lucas re-invented the teddy bear. I hated every moment with those f-ers; they were clearly a marketing device to sell stuffed animals and other toys. I do recognize the role they played in the movie, but as with Jar Jar Binks, I accept them for what they were and enjoy the overall movie without allowing their presence to ruin the entire movie for me. I will say that Jedi would have been better had they had Wookies rather than teddy bears.
double aught
AG
AggieSouth06
The ewoks were cheesy, but their cheesiness is tolerable because we cared about the characters whose story they inhabited. And the Luke/Vader climax and the all-hands-on-deck space battle had actual stakes and we cared deeply about how they resolved.

Nothing that happened in any prequel mattered one damn bit because the characters were cardboard cutouts of uselessness and nothing that happened to them made any difference.
jr15aggie
AG
Well, I fall on the late 70's part of that line and I do love me some ROTJ & the Ewoks are cool little furballs. Seems like a legit graph!
Ag Since 83
AG
I was born days before RotJ's release and I don't "love" the Ewoks but I don't hate them and I love RotJ overall.

Now, when I was a kid we had a copy of Ewoks: The Battle for Endor on VHS, and that movie is a ****ing crime against humanity. I don't think I ever saw Caravan of Courage, but I assume it is equally terrible.
redline248
AG
The opening "space battle" in Sith is vastly overrated. It's non even the focal point of that opening act. It just exists in the background as we watch Anakin and Obi-wan make their way to save the chancellor.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
The opening "space battle" in Sith is vastly overrated. It's non even the focal point of that opening act. It just exists in the background as we watch Anakin and Obi-wan make their way to save the chancellor.
That's half right. It exists only so that there is some, though thin, justification at is why Kenobi said he was the best starpilot in the galaxy. TPM showed him being one lucky *******.
redline248
AG
Valid point. Clone wars did more for that reputation.
Saul Goodman
AG
quote:
I used to think they were pretty close, and that maybe Sith was slightly better. But I've come around to thinking Jedi is superior.

1. Best space battle in the entire series
2. Either the best or second best lightsaber fight in the entire series
3. Various Skywalker family moments between characters that we actually give a damn about
4. Admiral ****ing Ackbar!

Meanwhile, RotS, despite the fact it is far and away the best prequel and a pretty decent movie, has nothing as awesome as any of the above, plus it still manages to give us...

I am willing to admit that if you are talking about the RotJ Special Edition the films are once again pretty comparable

This is pretty much my sentiment. I'll sum it up this way:

Both films have climatic duels in the Star Wars saga: ROTS = Anakin v Kenobi, ROTJ = Luke v Vader. Each of the trilogies are build ups to their respective duels.

And in my opinion, ROTJ delivers an awesome emotional battle, while ROTS give us Kung fu on a volcano with a bunch of silly jumps and tricks. ROTS is the by far the best of the prequels and has some really cool moments, but like the rest of that particular trilogy, it feels mechanical and arbitrary in its most important moment (Anakin becoming Vader).
Jason Ag
AG
The ending from the "Phatom edit" was so much better. How can a dude in his spare time do it that much better?
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
"I can tell you now that in the original opening shot of 7, the first thing that came into frame was a hand with a lightsaber, a severed hand that enters the atmosphere," Hammill said. "And then the hand and bone burns away and goes sticking into the surface of Jakku. And this alien hand comes in, don't know if it was Maz but it was an alien hand who takes the lightsaber way, and then the movie proceeds as you see it."

So the rumor was true, this is a bit old so my apologies if already discussed. Are we to assume this was Luke's hand and Anakin's blue saber?
AliasMan02
AG
I think so, though it would have made very little sense.
The Collective
AG
I hope they just skip the explanation if that's the best that they have.
Jason Ag
AG
Yeah it doesn't. Did Hamill really say this, or is it a internet hoax? Are there any other sources, maybe Hamill is just jacking with us.

Edit: I remember talk of Luke's robotic hand and his green saber.
cr0wbar
AG
gonna unwatch list this until november. You dumb****s saying ROTS > ROTJ are killin' me
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Yeah it doesn't. Did Hamill really say this, or is it a internet hoax? Are there any other sources, maybe Hamill is just hacking with us.

It seems legit, but it was pretty early. It wasn't in the table read, and that version of the movie was unrecognizable from what we got.

I'm always amazed at how fluid the story is in the production of a movie like StarStar Wars.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Question for all of you:

Didn't someone release a version of all the Star Wars prequels that edited the three movies into one? Secondly, where can I watch that?
tamusc
AG
quote:
Question for all of you:

Didn't someone release a version of all the Star Wars prequels that edited the three movies into one? Secondly, where can I watch that?
There was a 1080p version on YouTube, but it was taken down. You can find a torrent of it, or watch this crappy quality version on Daily Motion.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Question for all of you:

I believe it is on youtube; search "star wars turn to the darkside". It is under 3 hours.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I believe it is on youtube; search "star wars turn to the darkside". It is under 3 hours.

TCTTS
AG
Jason Ag
AG
quote:

AliasMan02
AG
For anyone who may be curious about the X-Wing tabletop game, or even just the models, Miniature Market has a huge sale going on. The core game sets are as cheap as I've seen them, and for $26 are worth even getting to mess around with on a game night with a buddy, wife, kid, etc.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/x-wing.html?dir=asc&limit=80&mode=list&order=price
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
Question for all of you:

The Collective
AG
quote:
The core game sets are as cheap as I've seen them, and for $26

It's a trap.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
The core game sets are as cheap as I've seen them, and for $26

It's a trap.

Nawwww, man. It's just this one box of stuff. Give it a try at a discount, have some fun, and then you can just walk away. No problem.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Muchas Gracias.

First Page Last Page
Page 436 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.