Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,092 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Simplebay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TC it is also worth pointing out that you yourself and most of the Internet knows that makingstarwars has well placed sources and have been very very right on the majority of their scoops.

trust me, I hope it ain't true. I think it is being blown out of proportion.

that being said, where there is this much smoke there's fire. and when the he'll did CM come on board to fix the script? I pointed out earlier the 3 writers had a very crap history, so this also fits.
TCTTS
AG
I literally said the exact same thing, re: your first point. But, again, there's a big difference between piecing together plot points via sources and piecing together behind-the-scenes happenings via sources. I've seen quite a few in-the-know industry types on Twitter making fun of the MakingStarWars report because Jason CLEARLY doesn't understand the other side of this stuff. I don't doubt that there's something fishy going on with the production. There's definitely some kind of trouble. I'm just saying it's likely getting blown WAY out of proportion, and that there's absolutely no way they're reshooting 40% of the movie. Besides, I would trust McQuarrie's word - especially as adamant as he's being - over any blogger.
Urban Ag
AG
Dear Disney, please don't Jar-Jar/Ewok/Padme-Anankin/I hate sand/1990's CGI infusion/Noooooo/Gungan/rathars/midichlorian/roger-roger/younglings this mother f***er up. Thanks.
An Ag in CO
AG
I'm still shocked that The Return of the Jedi, which is a crappy movie, was more popular than The Empire Strikes Back. However, that's the reason why the movies following the crappy chapter VI have taken on a merchandising slant. Since The Force Awakens was a reboot it's really more of an anomaly in the Star Wars universe and the next film will be a great indicator ion whether the movies are a vehicle to deliver merchandise sales or meant to be movies that stand on their own apart from the action figures and whatnot.
redline248
AG
Watch Jedi, and then watch episode 2 and tell me how crappy Jedi is.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
yeah when I was re-watching the week before TFA was released I honestly couldn't get thru ROTJ. It had probably been 15 years or more since I had seen it and it just wasn't that good with some exceptions of course.
Mr. White
I will knife fight anyone that says ROTJ is crappy....

....BUT, I will admit that Harrison Ford hammed it up too much in it. I just think he was a little over the top.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
What are you talking about? There are only episodes 4, 5, 6, and now 7.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I will knife fight anyone that says ROTJ is crappy....

I'm right there with you man! ROTJ is possibly my favorite. The epic conclusion, Luke is badass, epic final fight on 3 fronts. Lots of win in that one!
M.C. Swag
AG
RotJ is definitely a weak film. The Ewoks and their Forrest fight singlehandedly made it so.
redline248
AG
What's the definition of a weak film? 84% on IMDb, 79% on rotten tomatoes. Roger Ebert rated it 4 stars out of 4.

People have blind hate for the Ewoks simply based on how they look.
TCTTS
AG
Let this be the definitive word on the reshoots. Like I said, this isn't nearly the ordeal bloggers are making it out to be, and they're definitely not reshooting 40% of the movie as MakingStarWars is claiming. Breznican is a true journalist, and about as connected as one can be in the world of Lucasfilm...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots
Ag Since 83
AG
Ewoks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gungans and battle droids

RotJ isn't ESB or ANH, but it is awesome in its own right
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So for some of you, how much better would Jedi be if you just changed Ewoks to Wookies and everything else was the same?
jeffk
AG
Leave Wicket alone!
Simplebay
AG
knew Christopher McQuarrie was a hell no. called that one.
TCTTS
AG
Good follow-up...

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/a-new-report-offers-the-best-peek-yet-at-the-truth-of-the-rogue-one-reshoots
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
Ewoks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CGIGungans and battle droids
Mr. White
quote:

Green lightsaber (it WAS cool)
Speeder bikes
Jabba
TIE Fighters chasing the Rebels inside the DS
More Lando
Leia in an all-time iconic outfit
Palpatine - one of THE greatest villains
Farmer1906
AG
quote:

This
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

Green lightsaber (it WAS cool)
Speeder bikes
Jabba
TIE Fighters chasing the Rebels inside the DS
More Lando
Leia in an all-time iconic outfit
Palpatine - one of THE greatest villains
And this.
AliasMan02
AG
You know what I have no time or patience for? Monthly releases of Star Wars comics. I just let them collect until an arc is done, then read a bunch at once. I wish this model would die. I'd rather they just release a graphic novel twice a year.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:

This

Sure, if Ep 1 and 2 are your standards, then it's above that. If it's ESB, the preceding film and benchmark of my time, RotJ fell far short.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
You know what I have no time or patience for? Monthly releases of Star Wars comics. I just let them collect until an arc is done, then read a bunch at once. I wish this model would die. I'd rather they just release a graphic novel twice a year.
I recently got into single issue comics and I think there's something cool to look forward to once a month. To be fair, I don't want spoilers, so I want to read it before I find out.

Now if they did away with monthly, and released arcs, I would definitely be in favor of that.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This

Sure, if Ep 1 and 2 are your standards, then it's above that. If it's ESB, the preceding film and benchmark of my time, RotJ fell far short.
So its not as good as one of the best movies of all time. I'll agree with that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This discussion has been had at least twice on this thread.

Rots > Rotj

Move along.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

I was honestly confused by this. I thought you were comparing rtoj with esb and saying that rtoj was better.

I forget that the prequels exist
redline248
AG
Nope
Ag Since 83
AG
I used to think they were pretty close, and that maybe Sith was slightly better. But I've come around to thinking Jedi is superior.

1. Best space battle in the entire series
2. Either the best or second best lightsaber fight in the entire series
3. Various Skywalker family moments between characters that we actually give a damn about
4. Admiral ****ing Ackbar!

Meanwhile, RotS, despite the fact it is far and away the best prequel and a pretty decent movie, has nothing as awesome as any of the above, plus it still manages to give us...

I am willing to admit that if you are talking about the RotJ Special Edition the films are once again pretty comparable
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sure, but ROTS gives us:

1. Pretty epic opening space battle, followed by a pretty decent action sequence and climaxing with Anakin killing Dooku.
2. Order 66 scene (And the music in that scene, and in the whole movie really, is superb)
3. Anakin vs Obi-Wan / Yoda vs Palps. You can point out a couple of flaws in the Mustafar duel, but there is MUCH more good than bad in there.
4. For my money, the best closing shot in the saga.

This is not to say I dislike Jedi. I love the entire saga. But I do think the opening half hour or so is probably my least favorite of the series, and I'm not crazy about much that happens on Endor except the speeder chase.
Ag Since 83
AG
I agree, there's a lot to like in RotS but there's just so much crap. I forgot to mention the "badass" Jedi masters getting beaten by Palpatine like people think Finn should have gotten beaten down in VII.

Regarding your points:

1. Too much George Lucas "look at what I can do with my shiny CGI toys" in there for my taste.
2. Agree with you there. The Jedi purge lived up to my expectations
3. There's some good stuff, but I don't like the prequels' over-choreographed lightsaber fights enough to say "MUCH more good than bad." Give me the psychological and emotional fights of the OT every time
4. Agreed awesome closing shot. It's what seals the movie as pretty solid.
The Collective
AG
I can't think of anything in ROTS that matches the Luke / Vader / Emperor scenes in ROTJ.
redline248
AG
quote:
I can't think of anything in ROTS that matches the Luke / Vader / Emperor scenes in ROTJ.

Not even Obi-wan's cheesing with Greivous? Or JarJar's epic speech to his dellow felagates?
amercer
AG
The five minutes after Vader says "your sister" is the best part of any Star Wars movie.
AggieSouth06
quote:
This discussion has been had at least twice on this thread.

Rots > Rotj

Move along.

Not in a million f***ing years. ROTS gets love because it's slightly less awful that what preceded it, but it's still an absolutely terrible and terribly made movie.
First Page Last Page
Page 435 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.