Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,428 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
That's pretty pathetic. Why not enjoy it for what it is - well written fan fiction? Who gives a crap if it's canon or not?

Yea, I don't get it. Why do they need it to be officially accepted by Lucasfilm / Disney? Why does it matter at all?
tamusc
AG
Edit - Already answered above
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
That's pretty pathetic. Why not enjoy it for what it is - well written fan fiction? Who gives a crap if it's canon or not?
I can understand... I've read (nearly) every book in the EU "Legends"... I had alot of knowledge stored in this old noggin (fictional knowledge) that is now essentially useless (I mean at least before, I could impress other nerds with my Star Wars EU knowledge, but now that's all kaput). So I can empathize with feeling a bit robbed on what we fans thought was the real story of what happened before, during, and after the OT.

I really like the new movie, and I still think there was room for certain EU books and timelines to remain canon even with this new story arc. Now it's all essentially wasted effort. And it probably confuses the crap out of some people because what was Star Wars "fact" has now become Star Wars hearsay... There some characters that I really loved reading: Mara Jade, Corran Horn, Talon Karrde, etc. who no longer exist.

It also seems like the new movie overused Humans and the "new" aliens from the Prequals - but I don't ever see enough: Chiss, Duros, Chadra Fan, Ithorians, Mon Cals, Quarren, Bothans, Aqualish, or Twi'leks... which were prominent and active in the EU.

For example: Rogue One trailer had 1 alien in it wearing a full helmet... the rest; all humans.

For the record I've been powering through the new Canon EU (Dark Disciple, Lords of the Sith, Tarkin, New Dawn, Aftermath)... and also for the record Chuck Wendig is the worst author I have ever read. I REALLY hope Timothy Zahn, Kevin J Anderson, Michael Stackpole, etc. can be conscripted to write some new canon at some point.
BMX Bandit
The people who would be impressed by your knowledge of the expanded universe before will still be impressed by it
The Collective
AG
Disney is trying to eliminate confusion, and I truly believe we are getting better movies and stories because of it. From what I can gather, the EU is a mess or at least a world that would be impossible to bring a broad audience into effectively. Call it an alternate reality, call it legends, call it whatever the hell you want; it is going to be ignored in the official storyline unless it is brought in as canon in a new story. There was no other way forward for Disney, imo. The story inconsistencies and lack of a proper timeline is what frustrates me when I watch a comic book movie. If you like EU, then why not just enjoy it for what it is. And if a piece or idea gets brought into a movie or a tv series, great.

Guess what... if Disney tried to follow the EU and used it as the main source material for the new films, it would still be pissing this group off. It will never be perfect. Direct blame toward Lucas. He could have controlled this ****...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Direct blame toward Lucas. He could have controlled this ****...

Fair enough
3rdGen2015
AG
So there are some theories going around lately that Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin. Some people say she is just the reincarnation of the Chosen One, while others are saying that she is literally Anakin. I'd like to hear y'all's thoughts on this. Would it be worth it if it gave Luke the chance to say, "No, YOU are my father."?
redline248
AG
Lol, no that would not be worth it. Also, zero chance she's any reincarnation.
HeadGames
AG
quote:
So there are some theories going around lately that Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin. Some people say she is just the reincarnation of the Chosen One, while others are saying that she is literally Anakin. I'd like to hear y'all's thoughts on this. Would it be worth it if it gave Luke the chance to say, "No, YOU are my father."?

I'm going to put it as politely as I can. That is dumb.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Disney is trying to eliminate confusion, and I truly believe we are getting better movies and stories because of it. From what I can gather, the EU is a mess or at least a world that would be impossible to bring a broad audience into effectively. Call it an alternate reality, call it legends, call it whatever the hell you want; it is going to be ignored in the official storyline unless it is brought in as canon in a new story. There was no other way forward for Disney, imo. The story inconsistencies and lack of a proper timeline is what frustrates me when I watch a comic book movie. If you like EU, then why not just enjoy it for what it is. And if a piece or idea gets brought into a movie or a tv series, great.

Guess what... if Disney tried to follow the EU and used it as the main source material for the new films, it would still be pissing this group off. It will never be perfect. Direct blame toward Lucas. He could have controlled this ****...

There is no way the new films could have been brought into the EU with any kind of quality continuity. Disney's move makes absolute sense.
jeffk
AG
We've already posted the Han Solo - Kylo Ren dad joke meme, right?
The Collective
AG
quote:

I'd rather argue about Avatar on here than even give a minute of consideration to this theory.
redline248
AG
Just came across this article about Bloodlines being essential reading for SW fans.

http://www.starwars.com/news/8-reasons-star-wars-bloodline-will-be-essential-reading?cmp=smc|448013539&linkId=23885603
InnerCityAg
quote:
quote:
Strictly speaking that is true, but I always assumed they were direct descendants of the Jedi starfighters.
Possibly, as they along with the Alpha-3 Nimbus were produced by the Kuat Drive Yards. If I am remembering the canon stuff correctly. It's possible they are derivative designs of each other, but they are different enough in frame IMO that they are different. They also don't require a droid like most of the other ships produced by Kuat do that we know of.

512Ag
AG
quote:
I can't remember if I read this here or elsewhere, but what I saw was that Rey is literally Anakin. He's redeemed in the end, but sent back to a kind of purgatory state (life on Jakku) before hearing the call of his own lightsaber, which he'll use for good this time as opposed to killing younglings, thus fulfilling the chosen one prophecy. Or something like that.

You know, it doesn't matter where I read it. No. Just no.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What the hell was that joker smoking
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

I'd rather argue about Avatar on here than even give a minute of consideration to this theory.
Don't invoke him, please.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Just came across this article about Bloodlines being essential reading for SW fans.

http://www.starwars.com/news/8-reasons-star-wars-bloodline-will-be-essential-reading?cmp=smc|448013539&linkId=23885603

Lost Stars was an amazing book period. Of the new canon it might be the best story so far(counting episode 7). Definitely getting this!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
Don't want Brian to miss this (from the link above):

quote:
3. Political intrigue. Just what was the state of the galaxy before the First Order rose to prominence? Who was in charge? What were the different factions and what did they want? You'll see Leia work to uncover questionable alliances and shady dealings, and get in plenty of hot water along the way.

This might answer some of your curiosities.
512Ag
AG
quote:

I just want to remind everyone that I have dibs.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:

I just want to remind everyone that I have dibs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

quote:
3. Political intrigue. Just what was the state of the galaxy before the First Order rose to prominence? Who was in charge? What were the different factions and what did they want? You'll see Leia work to uncover questionable alliances and shady dealings, and get in plenty of hot water along the way.

Man you really are clinging to this one huh.
redline248
AG
Not gonna lie, when I read that the first time I thought about you, too.
3rdGen2015
AG
quote:
Not gonna lie, when I read that the first time I thought about you, too.
Same here
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
An entire generation has prospered during an era of peace. The New Republic,
governed by the Galactic Senate, has held power for more than two decades. The wars
that divided the galaxy are fading into legend.

Yet conflict has begun to take shape within the Senate. In the absence of MON
MOTHMA, former leader of the Rebellion and first chancellor of the New Republic,
two unofficial but powerful factions have formedthe POPULISTS, who believe
individual planets should retain almost all authority, and the CENTRISTS, who favor
a stronger galactic government and a more powerful military.

Only the greatest heroes of the war are still honored by all. A ceremony honoring
the memory of BAIL ORGANA has drawn the Senate together in rare harmony. It is a
day of celebration, but even now, the divisions among the worlds of the galaxy are
growing wider.
It does sound intriguing, I'll be honest.
The Collective
AG
Haha, alright, I will make this one the last one, but it was actually a mostly serious post.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:

quote:

Maybe NSFW:
h t t p : / / g 0 1 . a . a l i c d n . c o m /kf/HTB1.sUzLXXXXXXgXFXXq6xXFXXXa/Free-shipping-New-Adult-Women-Sexy-Star-Wars-font-b-Slave-b-font-Princess-font-b.jpg (remove spaces)
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
An entire generation has prospered during an era of peace. The New Republic,
governed by the Galactic Senate, has held power for more than two decades. The wars
that divided the galaxy are fading into legend.

Yet conflict has begun to take shape within the Senate. In the absence of MON
MOTHMA, former leader of the Rebellion and first chancellor of the New Republic,
two unofficial but powerful factions have formedthe POPULISTS, who believe
individual planets should retain almost all authority, and the CENTRISTS, who favor
a stronger galactic government and a more powerful military.

Only the greatest heroes of the war are still honored by all. A ceremony honoring
the memory of BAIL ORGANA has drawn the Senate together in rare harmony. It is a
day of celebration, but even now, the divisions among the worlds of the galaxy are
growing wider.
It does sound intriguing, I'll be honest.

Boom goes the Death Star...
The Collective
AG
TCTTS
AG
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/mads-mikkelsen-confirms-his-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-character-is-jyn-ersos-father/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Simplebay
AG
TC i'm not entirely sure he was supposed to say that. he got rambling, and i think went a weee bit too far.

kinda like a certain old man Solo on Star Wars' twitter feed...revealing the Rey/Ren lightsaber fight
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Is that a joke?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So I'm watching Spike Lee's Michael Jackson documentary. Apparently, MJ wrote this song and he isn't just referencing a generic "force". It's THE Force. As in Star Wars.

Mind blown.
First Page Last Page
Page 422 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.