Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,992 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
guys- I'm sorry. Where can I get an official ruling on how to properly pronounce:

"AT-AT"

"AT-ST"

I thought it was "Ay Tee Ay Tee" and "Ay Tee Es Tee"
TIme Article

From the article:

quote:
An email blast to Lucasfilm's public relations department provided the definitive verdict. The official pronunciation for AT-AT is the phonetic one, as in it rhymes with "hat hat."

One thing to keep in mind is that the @-@ pronunciation was established BEFORE the AT-STs were imagined ot even named.

How is this possible? They both show up for the first time in the same movie.

You are right I forgot about the ones at hoth.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
Hey the prequels really aren't THAT bad. I've seen way worse movies.
You will get nowhere with this statement. It's like people have never seen really crappy movies.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
You will get nowhere with this statement. It's like people have never seen really crappy movies.

We've seen crappy movies but these movies were

1)objectively bad
2)subjectivity complete crap when compared to Empire, stAR wars and even jedi.
3) just flat out boring.
redline248
AG
I think if they had been directed better, resulting in better acting performances, people wouldn't hate them as much.

Natalie Portman and Sam L. Jackson are two really good actors, and those might be their worst performances in their careers. All due to Lucas, imo.
dave94
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

1)objectively bad
3) just flat out boring.

I don't think I was ever actually bored watching any of the prequels.

The visuals, music, and just the fact that we were back in the Star Wars universe was enough to keep my attention. Now, that doesn't excuse the many many flaws in each of them.
VanZandt92
Dave94 gets it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Hold me, like you did on Naboo so long ago, when it was just our love...
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

Was that really a line? I don't remember all of the dialogue.
fig96
AG
The fact that they were only at all entertaining because of their Star Wars-ness may make them even worse.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes. Yes it was. In Revenge of the Sith.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

1)objectively bad
3) just flat out boring.
Yeah I know, someone made some online review that pointed out all the problems with the phantom menace. I should watch it so I can get the proper attitude toward the prequels. Objectivity is not a factor for me in watching and enjoying a film; it is a completely subjective thing. I don't give a rat's behind if something does not meet the textbook definition of story telling or character motivation or dialogue or whathaveyou. The response that many have for the prequels is essentially the same thing you will get out of me regarding anything Quentin Tarantino has made (subjectively utter crap).

I get it. There are folks who don't like I-III. That's fine. For me I simply enjoyed the fact that I got to return to that galaxy far, far away. I saw parallels between the rise of Palpatine to how Hitler maneuvered his way to the German chancellorship, which as a WWII nut, this was interesting to me. There were things I did not care for - midichlorians, virgin birth - but there were many more things that I was perfectly fine with, mostly involving Ewen MacGregor as Obi-Wan.

Only one other episode can even think of favorable comparison with Empire, and that is ANH. In fact, for me, the only movie that I put into the same league with Empire is Raiders of the Lost Ark. Jedi is a movie with great bookends but a middle that features Lucas' new invention, the teddy bear. The Ewok crap bores me to death and is the reason I rate Jedi as the 4th best individual episode (and rarely watch that one).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that was a line of dialogue.

Harrison Ford has been quoted as telling Lucas that he could write this stuff but no one could say it, or something like that. During production of the OT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yup. Jedi has a great final act but it's still not better than Sith.
wangus12
AG
quote:
There were things I did not care for - midichlorians, virgin birth - but there were many more things that I was perfectly fine with, mostly involving Ewan MacGregor as Obi-Wan.
I think everyone agrees that Ewan McGregor as Kenobi was the best thing to come out of the prequels and a great casting
txagman1998
AG
quote:
An email blast to Lucasfilm's public relations department provided the definitive verdict. The official pronunciation for AT-AT is the phonetic one, as in it rhymes with "hat hat."

I wonder if this changed during the Disney changeover. In the Star Wars Battlefront game, the walkers are referred to as "Ay Tee - Ay Tee".
Mr. White
quote:

*giggle*
tamuangry
Has to be Eh Tee Eh Tee and Eh Tee Es Tee
tamuangry
Also the Star Wars universe has always been better than the movies/stories told about it. Not since episode 5 has there been a movie that lived up to its full potential. Growing up with the movies and All the early PC games like Dark Forces, Tie Fighter, etc... It's nice to see that universe coming to the forefront again.
The Collective
AG
quote:
I wonder if this changed during the Disney changeover. In the Star Wars Battlefront game, the walkers are referred to as "Ay Tee - Ay Tee".

It is probably more likely that nobody cares.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
The fact that they were only at all entertaining because of their Star Wars-ness may make them even worse.

Fig96 gets it.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Also the Star Wars universe has always been better than the movies/stories told about it. Not since episode 5 has there been a movie that lived up to its full potential.

How do you define full potential?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
Also the Star Wars universe has always been better than the movies/stories told about it. Not since episode 5 has there been a movie that lived up to its full potential.

How do you define full potential?

Yeah there is a lot of stuff between someone living up to thier potential (being a doctor/empire) and being a complete disappointment that you wish you should have aborted (meth addled hooker/episode 1)

Jedi is like lucas'a kid being a business major from tech. Nothing to be overly proud of, a few dumb mistakes but nothing g to really be ashamed of.

Clones and phantom are like he sent his kids to the best schools and got them into ivy league schools and then encouraged them to major in womyn's studies and proudly boast about how proud he is, when without daddy's money (their star warsiness ) they would be no better off than a downey kid working at burger King (any countless bad movies,)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
I did not say it was.

Empire
A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
The Collective
AG
Jedi has some problems, no doubt, but if you watch the original version - it is pretty damn entertaining with a lot less cringe-worthy moments. As a kid, it was my favorite...
wangus12
AG
I have a feeling a lot of people are going to disagree with how low you put TFA
The Collective
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Yes, I would be one of them.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

There is a very good reason you have a cooling off period before being allowed to get in to a hall of fame.

txagman1998
AG
quote:
Quote:

It is probably more likely that nobody cares.

fig96
AG
I'm curious how people's rankings may have evolved after we've all had a chance to cool off and get an additional watch or two of TFA in.

I've still got the originals and TFA ahead of all the prequels, and TFA and Jedi are neck and neck for spot #3.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I'm curious how people's rankings may have evolved after we've all had a chance to cool off and get an additional watch or two of TFA in.
Additional watch or two....I already saw the damn thing like 7x's in the theaters.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Additional watch or two....I already saw the damn thing like 7x's in the theaters.
I was referring to post holiday adrenaline fueled watches
jbanda
AG
Same here. Watched TFA yesterday.
wangus12
AG
Oh well in that case.. I've only watched it twice since it came out. Definitely still holds up imo. Not better than Empire though
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
People are free to disagree. I do not dislike any of these movies but if I am going to rank them this is how I will do it. TFA was more fun than any SW movie since Empire, but there was very little in it that did not seem rehashed from earlier episodes. Still, I loved the movie and after seeing it 4 times in the theater and now twice on BR I am trying to figure out Rey's familial lineage.

I see Sith and Jedi as beginning and ending of the interconnected stories of Anakin to Darth Vader back to Anakin, and Palpatine's defeat of the Jedi through to his death at the hands of a Jedi. Sith gets the nod among these because it does not feature teddy bears.
First Page Last Page
Page 413 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.