Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,201 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Cyprian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Obi-Wan

Hands down. Which is why I think he deserves an anthology Trilogy with Ewan as Kenobi.
FIF(me)
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Is Darth Maul the best thing about the prequels? I'd say so.
Sand.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
What has Ewan been up to anyways. Normally I'd think an anthology like that would be far-fetched, but with news of a Han Solo movie, it seems more possible.
Um....

He's been in Jack the Giant Slayer, Mortdecai, Haywire, The Ghost Writer, and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen among other things. If anything his career has been pretty diverse, though admittedly meh for the most part, with the films he has been in since his tenure in Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He was in that Western with Natalie Portman and Joel Edgerton. SW reunion.
jr15aggie
AG
So my 12 year old daughter is slowly learning that some movies just suck! This was very apparent to her after discovering how awesome Karate Kid was, how Karate Kid II was a solid sequel, but Karate Kid III was oh my gosh what have they done!

So my son wanted to watch Attack of the Clones yesterday and my daughter comes in the room. She hasn't watched the prequels as much as my little boy. Her first comment, "Dad, these 'new' ones aren't very good are they?" I sorta fumbled for some saving qualities but had to admit, "yeah, they were fun at times but not very good movies". Then she asked "Doesn't Padme die... how does she die?". My response, "Well Anakin chokes her like Darth Vader, but that didn't kill her... um... well, honey, I honestly have no idea how she died... like you said, they aren't very good."

It was a sad thing to admit!
israeliag
AG
quote:
So my 12 year old daughter is slowly learning that some movies just suck! This was very apparent to her after discovering how awesome Karate Kid was, how Karate Kid II was a solid sequel, but Karate Kid III was oh my gosh what have they done!

So my son wanted to watch Attack of the Clones yesterday and my daughter comes in the room. She hasn't watched the prequels as much as my little boy. Her first comment, "Dad, these 'new' ones aren't very good are they?" I sorta fumbled for some saving qualities but had to admit, "yeah, they were fun at times but not very good movies". Then she asked "Doesn't Padme die... how does she die?". My response, "Well Anakin chokes her like Darth Vader, but that didn't kill her... um... well, honey, I honestly have no idea how she died... like you said, they aren't very good."

Then maybe the Prequels are actually good - they let you teach your kids a valuable lesson in life.
The Collective
AG
Your daughter doesn't get the complexity of sand.
redline248
AG
Still not sure how Leia had any memories of her "real mother" if she died in child birth.
dave94
AG
quote:
Still not sure how Leia had any memories of her "real mother" if she died in child birth.

The Force doesn't work that way?
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

The Force doesn't work that way?

Only if Luke had those same memories.
The Collective
AG
You could argue that Leia's particular force abilities allow her to have a faint memory of her mother, I suppose. But I don't know what kind of mental twists have already been made, so I will keep my mouth shut.
redline248
AG
We still don't know what particular force abilities Leia has.
The Collective
AG
That's my point. Never doubt the fanboy's ability to make it work.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
We do know that she can sense when she is being called for - see the escape from Cloud City when Luke calls out to her while clinging to the underside of the city, and when someone she loves dies - see Kylo Ren gutting his dad Han Solo and she, on another planet, has a visible reaction.
jr15aggie
AG
The answer is the Midichloreans... that is ALWAYS the answer!

Yes, I had to google the spelling!
Dro07
AG
Was Luke or Leia born first?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And you still spelled it wrong.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
And you still spelled it wrong.
I'm sure Lucas will change his mind on the spelling and ask Disney to follow suit, and then change his mind back again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kylo Ren currently whooping Dooku's ass and looks to make the Elite 8 in his first run. Not bad.
MGS
quote:
Maybe she was talking about mama Organa?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
Maybe she was talking about mama Organa?

Yep. Get that mental exercise. Rationalize away!

Or just admit that Lucas had no plan and has no respect for the franchise he created or the fans who love it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The fact that he didn't have every detail of the prequels planned 20 years earlier means he had no respect for the franchise or the fans?

Lol.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The one detail that Lucas talked about way back then was that Vader got his scars after a battle with Obi-Wan in a volcano, so at least he had that planned from day one.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Was Luke or Leia born first?

Luke per the birth order in Episode III.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
The fact that he didn't have every detail of the prequels planned 20 years earlier means he had no respect for the franchise or the fans?

Lol.
he could have just as easily let Leia be born first, let them have a tender\sad moment, then pop out Luke.
and he didn't have to let Padme die of a lame broken heart...
The Collective
AG
Looks like the theories are pretty weak:

quote:
How is it possible for Leia to remember Padm after meeting her as a newborn, for only a few seconds? Patricia C. Wrede's novelization of Episode III describes the newborn Leia as looking around her, intent to memorize every detail. Perhaps Leia's Force-sensitivity allowed her to form memories even at such a young age. Leia's Force-sensitivity is more personal and emotional than Luke's; her first hint of Force ability, in Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, is sensing Luke on Bespin. Even as a newborn, her instinctual connection to the Force could have helped her form a bond with Padm.

It's also possible that Leia gleaned images and impressions of her mother through the Force even after Padm's death. As Yoda tells Luke in The Empire Strikes Back: "Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future...the past...old friends long gone." Even though Leia has no formal Jedi training until after Return of the Jedi, she could have learned about her mother through visions in the Force, which she then mistook for memories.

TCTTS
AG
I've told this story before, but I was at a friend's BBQ years ago, and his neighbor, who was there with his kid, was the editor for Transformers 2 (which he was currently editing at the time). We ended up talking a lot about Michael Bay, since one of my good friends used to be Bay's assistant and I had plenty of stories to commiserate with him. Anyway, this editor's kid was like four or five years old, and his kid kept bugging me to play soccer with him. There were no other kids there, so I ended up entertaining him a bit and basically got stuck babysitting him for a good 15 minutes or so. When I got home, I looked up the editor on IMDb, and it turns out he had also edited Episode III. Not only that, but there was a little blurb about how his son was both baby Luke AND Leia in the movie. So whenever I see that scene, or hear reference to it, I can't help but think I basically babysat the only other actor to ever play Luke Skywalker before. Pretty funny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
It's also possible that Leia gleaned images and impressions of her mother through the Force even after Padm's death. As Yoda tells Luke in The Empire Strikes Back: "Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future...the past...old friends long gone." Even though Leia has no formal Jedi training until after Return of the Jedi, she could have learned about her mother through visions in the Force, which she then mistook for memories.
I could go with this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

You babysat Luke AND Leia, dude.
TCTTS
The Collective
AG
quote:
You babysat Luke AND Leia, dude.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just got a charge on my card from Best Buy for the blu-ray. According to their site, they only charge you once the item ships.
The Collective
AG
Amazon is showing me an estimated delivery date of 4/11... I think I should cancel it.
boogieman
AG
quote:
Just got a charge on my card from Best Buy for the blu-ray. According to their site, they only charge you once the item ships.
You go with the steel book, or the regular?
Dekker_Lentz
AG

quote:
Then she asked "Doesn't Padme die... how does she die?". My response, "Well Anakin chokes her like Darth Vader, but that didn't kill her... um... well, honey, I honestly have no idea how she died... like you said, they aren't very good."

First Page Last Page
Page 384 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.