Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,635 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

4, 5, 2, 3, 6....then 7 of course

thats actually genius, never would have thought of that. i was a purist of "release order" but that makes a ton of sense and makes it much more palatable.

IV and V are the primary story and should be seen first
that leaves you with the cliffhangers in Empire (Vader is Lukes dad, Han frozen)

skip I - it really adds nothing as it says. every single person either dies and is no longer relevant or has much bigger parts in II and III that shows their full character arc (without being played by a kid, and it keeps you from thinking Padme is a cradle robber too) and the bonus of very very little jar jar binks or the gungans. Maul, Qui Gon are dead, Watto is irrelevant and also no virgin birth and midichlorians nonsense. Other characters are better represented in II and III (Mace Windu for example).

II and III give you a nice flashback basically then in the interim and fully explains Anakin/Vader and Obi Wan

end with VI then jumping back to the destruction of the Empire and Luke's ultimate victory - and as a bonus the ending with Haden Christensen added into the Jedi ghost scene makes sense (whereas it does not in release order).

I love it - BES - tell me what exactly anyone would miss from episode I??? some of the politics and clone army origin i suppose. but its unneeded.

redline248
AG
Obi-Wan being the first Jedi to kill a Sith in a thousand years.
All the stuff about the prophesy
Anakin's career as a Jedi always being rocky
AliasMan02
AG
I've decided the worst decision about Ep I was forcing the introduction of Anakin's love interest. If he hadn't met her until Ep II, how would that have been a negative at all?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

quote:
Obi-Wan being the first Jedi to kill a Sith in a thousand years.

killed a character never seen or heard from again and Obi Wan did plenty besides that. his training of Anakind which only started in II was much more important, we didn't need Obi Wn backstory.

quote:
All the stuff about the prophesy

which is dumb and was never explained or fleshed out in II or III it was basically dropped cuz it was weak

quote:
Anakin's career as a Jedi always being rocky
it was still rocky, we didn't need to see a kid to know he was flawed and had issues. if anything Anakin was played as heroic in episode I, a sweet little kid. meh.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I've decided the worst decision about Ep I was forcing the introduction of Anakin's love interest. If he hadn't met her until Ep II, how would that have been a negative at all?
yes....by skipping I...when they are introduced in II they appear to be about the same age and Padme talks about that young boy she knew on Tatooine...but that makes it possible they were both young then and not so creepy as it was in I and transitioning to II...seems like they were friends as young kids together which is more believable than their supposed 10 year age difference when they start rolling around and making out.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
t-minus 30 minutes or so until Kylo Ren on SNL
whiskey02
AG
quote:
I messed it up. II then III and then VI. Never I, it adds nothing to the story.

This guy has shown me the light: http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

With that argument... what does 2 add that is critical?
wangus12
AG
Finally beat KOTOR. GF is not happy because I spent most of the day wrapping it up. Forgot fighting Malak can be a pain in the ass since he somehow dodges everything so I resorted to running around, planting mines and blowing his ass to hell.
Knife_Party
quote:
GF is not happy because I spent most of the day wrapping it up.

That's what she said?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

This guy has shown me the light: http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

He does address that:

The opening crawl of Episode II establishes everything you need to know about the prequels: a bunch of systems want to leave the Republic, they are led by Count Dooku, and Senator Amidala is a senator who is going to vote on whether the Republic is going to create an army. Natalie Portman is called Senator Amidala twice in the first 4 minutes of the movie, so there's no question of who's who.

You might be wondering if it's worth skipping II and only watching III, just to establish young Anakin in time for Jedi. I don't recommend this, every character you need to know for Episode III who was introduced in Episode I is reintroduced in Episode II with a quick line of dialogue, but Episode III just assumes you know who everyone is. Ham-handed as it is, Anakin's love for Padme is the ultimate reason for his fall to the dark side, and Episode II has most of that. Additionally, without seeing the Clone Army being created in Episode II, seeing the Jedi fight alongside them in III would be extremely confusing, since they look almost exactly like Stormtroopers in III. Narratively, I don't think skipping II works.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome, I seem to remember beating him like that at least once before.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I recorded SNL and just watched that....pretty good. thanks for posting.
512Ag
AG
Took my nearly-5-year-old daughter to see TFA yesterday. She did pretty well -- only covered her face during the rathtars scene. She didn't really show any emotion other than that during the movie. I thought maybe she was bored or tired or something. Then, while listening to the soundtrack later in the day she said, "Oh, this is from the part where Rey meets BB-8! All the parts with Rey are so amazing." Checked the track title, sure enough, "Rey Meets BB-8." I guess she was paying attention after all.

One kind of funny thing she did was whisper a couple of times asking where Luke Skywalker was. I kept telling her to just wait. We finally got to the end, where Rey is walking up the steps and my daughter leans over and says out loud, "Oh my gosh. DAD. WHERE IS LUKE SKYWALKER?!" Then, there he appeared and she nonchalantly said, "Oh. There he is." Luckily we were at a 9:45am showing that was about 75% parents with little kids, so I don't think her outburst bothered anyone.
MandoArms
quote:

So is this considered canon?
redline248
AG
Haha
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Finally beat KOTOR. GF is not happy because I spent most of the day wrapping it up. Forgot fighting Malak can be a pain in the ass since he somehow dodges everything so I resorted to running around, planting mines and blowing his ass to hell.

I ran around destroying the other Jedi trapped before I attacked him.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

Let's be honest what does anything in the prequels add that is critical?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Figured that's where this was heading.
wangus12
AG
Yeah that my deal, but still wasn't doing well taking him straight up
98Ag99Grad
AG
Finally saw this yesterday. I'm not going to read this whole thread but does anyone buy that guy as KyloRen? When he took his mask off I almost lold. How can anyone be afraid of him? Looks like the guy who would be picked last in gym class. Thought the rest of the movie was ok. Acting was meh. A lot of forced comedy with Finn.
Chipotlemonger
AG
While not a world beater, I thought Kylo's look and attitude was great. He's a young, fiery, emotional bad guy. I bought it.

Also, the acting was meh? What parts make you say this, specifically? The acting was stellar for any Star Wars fan really.
98Ag99Grad
AG
No memorable performances I thought. Just ok. Not little kid Anakin bad or anything just meh.

Han Solo would never have a dorky looking kid like that either.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Adam Driver was great.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I don't know about you, but Daisy Ridley was great.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Awesome. I just know I'm not going to run out and buy a ticket to the next movie any of these people are in.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Awesome. I just know I'm not going to run out and buy a ticket to the next movie any of these people are in.

Awesome. You're measuring them up to arguably one of the most likable actors of all time in Harrison Ford, and how he had this effect you speak of after 1977.
Knife_Party
Outside of Harrison Ford in the OT, this was the best acted star wars movie. Period.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Where did I say I was measuring them to Harrison Ford? I'm talking about acting in general. Just thought it was average. Nothing memorable that's all. You really don't go to Star Wars to see an oscar performance anyway, I get that, but just wasn't blown away by anyone. I'm just really irritated by the KyloRen guy. Just no way is he believable as a bad guy for me.
The Collective
AG
Is Kylo being powerful any less believable than Luke?
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Where did I say I was measuring them to Harrison Ford? I'm talking about acting in general. Just thought it was average. Nothing memorable that's all. You really don't go to Star Wars to see an oscar performance anyway, I get that, but just wasn't blown away by anyone. I'm just really irritated by the KyloRen guy. Just no way is he believable as a bad guy for me.

I think that's kind of the point. We're going to have three movies of him as a villain and right now, he's just a teenage brat that's still learning how to use his power. You can't have him to powerful or to menacing, or it isn't believable for him to be defeated.
double aught
AG
I don't know how old Adam Driver is, but the character seems at least 25 to me. Teenage brat doesn't really come to mind.
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
I don't know how old Adam Driver is, but the character seems at least 25 to me. Teenage brat doesn't really come to mind.
Exactly what I thought too. An it's a fair point about not making him too powerful since there are more to come. I'll buy that I guess. It was surprising he got owned by a girl just discovering her power though.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
Exactly what I thought too. An it's a fair point about not making him too powerful since there are more to come. I'll buy that I guess. It was surprising he got owned by a girl just discovering her power though.

remember he was injured earlier by Chewbacca.
Carlo4
AG

1. Tried to kill fin not using force powers because he was a traitor.

2. Injured him severely. Went for Luke's saber.

3. Doesn't use force on Rey on purpose. Wants to somehow convince her to join dark side.

4. During the cliff convo, she finally believed she had the force. Her fighting went from scared/sloppy to confident.

5. He was wounded already. He was on defensive and scared. Scared like before when he knew she was better with the force with the mind block.

First Page Last Page
Page 357 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.