Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,397 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There were a few things I didn't like about it, but overall a great movie. More thoughts tomorrow on the spoiler thread when it's not 3 am.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

from twitter.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
OK so I have a question don't shoot me. But was this according to the book was this movie produced and shot like it was supposed to be? It seem to be a lot like the original Star Wars almost just a complete remake of episode four.
Yeah, not sure what you are referring to either... my opinion for those that haven't seen it yet, go in with a clean slate. I didn't think it mirrored a new hope other than the fact that these movies are still about good vs. evil.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
OK so I have a question don't shoot me. But was this according to the book was this movie produced and shot like it was supposed to be? It seem to be a lot like the original Star Wars almost just a complete remake of episode four.
Yeah, not sure what you are referring to either... my opinion for those that haven't seen it yet, go in with a clean slate. I didn't think it mirrored a new hope other than the fact that these movies are still about good vs. evil.
They had a BIG task ahead of them...

1. Nod to originals
2. Introduce new characters
3. Leave some mystery
4. Complete movie (win the battle)
5. Set up the rest of the trilogy
6. Make a movie that lovers of the OT AND new audiences will love.

It was a BIG task.
AggieChemist
AG
8 hours...
fig96
AG
I've avoided this thread for about two months so I'm not going back to read 2500 posts

I'll just say this: The Force Awakens feels like a Star Wars film, and that's all we ever really wanted.
Texaggie7nine
36 hours
7nine
InternetFan02
AG
SIAP - any of you in this video?

512Ag
AG
7hr, 30 minutes.
TKEAg04
AG
3.5 hours here! Starting to get giddy!
512Ag
AG
So YOU'RE the one who's bringing down the RT score! It's down to 95%! You *******!

AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
So YOU'RE the one who's bringing down the RT score! It's down to 95%! You *******!

It's gone UP! IT was 94% yesterday!
512Ag
AG
Probably because staff deleted his post.
Ag Since 83
AG
TC, I'll give you Snoke I guess, although the circumstances of that CG are a little different, but what did you have a problem with about Maz?

Also, weird about your post deletion. As you know, I haven't always agreed with you about what is and is not appropriate for this thread, and I didn't see your post last night, but that sounds pretty innocuous.
512Ag
AG
Wait, you didn't go last night? My mind is blown.

I assume you're taking your family -- or at least your Star Wars fangirl daughter. I told my 4yo daughter that I'm going without her and she melted down pretty hard. I guess she and I will just have to go this weekend.
The Collective
AG
Both characters were fine, and I was concerned about Snoke going in based on the Serkis' interview a little while back.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Wait, you didn't go last night? My mind is blown.

I assume you're taking your family -- or at least your Star Wars fangirl daughter. I told my 4yo daughter that I'm going without her and she melted down pretty hard. I guess she and I will just have to go this weekend.
My brother is a private school teacher and a single dad, so he couldn't go that late at night; my dad is 67 years old with an artificial hip, so a midnight showing was going to be tough for him. Like you said, it's a lot more important for me to go with people who I have loved Star Wars with all my life than go to the first showing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Took my girls out of school early to go to the Star Wars Force Fest at Memorial City mall - they chase mini BB8s around, spent about 45 minutes in the Disney store, and best of all, got to see a string octet perform Star Wars music outside the Cinemark theater there. Both of them got down and danced to the Cantina music, but one of them was disheartened that there was no Princess Leia in the string group - the rest were wearing Chewie, Yoda, R2D2, stormtrooper, or Darth Vader costumes. Just as they were about to leave, a Princess Leia member came strolling up and my girl went NUTS, leaping out in front of her for a hug and then GASPING when the Leia told her, "May the Force Be WIth You."

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Wow brother, read that out loud to yourself and try and realize how overbearing and self-important it sounds.
fig96
AG
quote:
I don't see it as self important. I would be curious to have a spoiler free review from someone on here that wasn't just a "oooh, star wars is back" blanket statement.

Going just off the previous takes so far, I would be basically going into this movie expecting the best thing on a movie screen in 20+ years.
I don't think many of those people are on this thread

And really, it's tough to review without getting a bit spoilery, at least things that I as a fan wouldn't want to know ahead of time. Like every other Star Wars film, there's some plot holes here and there and you could probably nitpick the tone at times.

But if you're looking to see a Star Wars film that just feels like a Star Wars film you're going to be very happy.
TCTTS
AG
Right. That's kind of my whole point.
The Collective
AG
I thought this was the meltdown free board.
TCTTS
AG
But, whatever. I'll drop it. About to board a flight and will try to post my reactions from here on out in the spoiler thread, in the next couple hours.
Urban Ag
AG
Y'all need to chill out. THis is supposed to be fun.

We're not talking about Schindler's List for crying out loud.

Ag Since 83
AG
Here's my spoiler free review. It's gonna be pretty short because to go into any detail about what I liked and didn't, I'd go into spoiler detail

Is it better than the prequels? YES
Does it feel like a Star Wars movie? YES
Is it funny? YES
Are there Easter eggs for Star Wars fans to pick up on? YES
Are the returning characters handled well? Yes, for the most part. A couple gripes about one particular character
Are the new characters handled well? Yes, I really liked all the new characters and think they'll be great going forward
Is the plot good? For the most part. There was something about it that I shouldn't have liked (I can't explain it without it being spoilers, but I talk about it on the spoiler thread for after you see the movie), but the movie overall is so fun and so well done, I am looking past it.

Given the plot issue I have, I'm surprised the Rotten Tomatoes rating is as high as it is, but it's definitely a really good movie that I think audiences of all ages are going to like
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Exactly, it's a movie, I'm going back to work, well sort of. T-minus 10 hours and 30 minutes.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
Here's my spoiler free review. It's gonna be pretty short because to go into any detail about what I liked and didn't, I'd go into spoiler detail

Is it better than the prequels? YES
Does it feel like a Star Wars movie? YES
Is it funny? YES
Are there Easter eggs for Star Wars fans to pick up on? YES
Are the returning characters handled well? Yes, for the most part. A couple gripes about one particular character
Are the new characters handled well? Yes, I really liked all the new characters and think they'll be great going forward
Is the plot good? For the most part. There was something about it that I shouldn't have liked (I can't explain it without it being spoilers, but I talk about it on the spoiler thread for after you see the movie), but the movie overall is so fun and so well done, I am looking past it.

Given the plot issue I have, I'm surprised the Rotten Tomatoes rating is as high as it is, but it's definitely a really good movie that I think audiences of all ages are going to like
All I could ask for.

Dropping back off the grid until after I see it Sunday.

Merry Christmas Ags. This has been a fun distraction for the last year or so. Good stuff. I don't take any of it too seriously. Just want to re-live a little bit of my childhood with my kids.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I don't see it as self important. I would be curious to have a spoiler free review from someone on here that wasn't just a "oooh, star wars is back" blanket statement.

Going just off the previous takes so far, I would be basically going into this movie expecting the best thing on a movie screen in 20+ years.
Umm it is the best thing on a movie screen in the 35 years. Give me one better and I shall critically destroy it like the Death Star destroyed Alderaan
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's really bizarre. Was looking forward to reading your thoughts.
Simplebay
AG
I expected to jump into spoiler thread. Why not post there first?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seems like we're back up. Back to the discussion!

Thank you, mods.

[The thread was temporarily locked in order to address the moderation question earlier on this page. -Staff]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC, I genuinely wanna hear your thoughts, so post them in the other thread when you get a chance.
TCTTS
AG
I've got another hour and a half on this flight. Will try to get everything typed up in that time. After that, it might be days before I can post again, since I've got a ton of family stuff to do. Will try my best...
Ag Since 83
AG
Looking forward to your thoughts also, TC, if only to disagree with them
MSFC Aggie
AG
For us slackers, would still like to hear non-spoiler reactions in this thread please.
First Page Last Page
Page 335 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.