Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,180 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Unknown Thought has set me straight - I have bad tastes for movies because I enjoyed all of the Star Wars movies.

Thanks for that.

That's not what I said. If you think they are good movies, then you have bad taste. If I said otherwise, I was wrong.
Jacques
i have pretty low expectations, if any at all. i can't even be sure i'll make time to see it in the theater.

The original trilogy overcomes a lot of bad dialogue with a great cast. And a good narrative drive.

Pretty much only the last movie in the prequels had that, and it was rushed.

Really, a lot of what was special about the original trilogy can't be recaptured. Where previously you had never seen anything like it before, you see a lot like it all the time now.
redline248
AG
I'm sure many thought there was no way a star trek reboot could capture the magic of Shatner/Nimoy. I think JJ can pull this off.
double aught
AG
quote:

Besides, Star Wars never even used the full 20th Century Fox animation. The full one, in most 20th Century Fox movies, pans around the logo and then settles at its base, looking up. The Star Wars versions always did the quick glimpse, without the panning.
The sweeping camera version of the 20th Century Fox logo didn't premiere until True Lies in '94. The Star Wars movies were using the standard animation at the time, and they kept it for the prequels. It may have had something to do with slipping the Lucasfilm logo in while the fanfare was still playing. In fact, I think John Williams recorded a new playing of the fanfare to lead into the Star Wars theme.
Rosie11
AG
quote:
Pod racing is and will never be "wizard."

It made for my 3rd favorite game for N64... So there's that
redline248
AG
I have a feeling those that are fond of the pod race scene were younger than 16 when they watched the movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The pod racer sequence was just too long, especially on DVD. But I appreciate the work that went into creating all the different styles and the different drivers, plus I remember big laughs from the theater when the Tuskens took their shots - although 10 years later when Anakin was butchering their village, perhaps they thought "Huh, maybe that was a bad idea."

Sound Awake
quote:
I have a feeling those that are fond of the pod race scene were younger than 16 when they watched the movie.

I was 11 or 12 when the movie came out, and I thought the pod racing was ****ing retarded. I remember being confused and asking my dad why there was a long racing scene in a Star Wars movie. He just hung his head and sadly said, "I don't know, son. I don't know."
Sound Awake
quote:
quote:
Pod racing is and will never be "wizard."

It made for my 3rd favorite game for N64... So there's that

You must have only played really, really bad N64 games.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:

I was 20 and thought the pod racing was one of the few good things in the movie.
Rudyjax
AG
Where is the suspense if you know he is going to win?

He should've been cast as a teen. And Obi wan shouldve been older.
Hagen95
AG
You want suspense in a prequel where you know what is going to happen?
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:

What?????? What is the point of even making the prequels. We all knew what was going to happen.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

He should've been cast as a teen. And Obi wan shouldve been older.

Red Letter does a good job with this particular issue, especially that Obi Wan and Qui Gon should have been the same person.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I was 12 at the time, thought it was cool regarding the pod racing aspect (gear head here) but thought it was way too drawn out. Still Jar Jar killed the movie for me....
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Red Letter does a good job with this particular issue, especially that Obi Wan and Qui Gon should have been the same person.

Explain
jr15aggie
AG
Regarding the Opening Sequence / music to the movie... I don't see why they would go away from the opening orchestra music we are so accustomed to. The Disney logo and/or castle (re-made with a specific look for Star Wars) would go perfectly where the 20th Century Fox Logo usually did. Would it be against all Holleywood rules to then have the Bad Robot and Lucasfilm logo's run at the same time, then fading to "A long time ago..."

It's quite possibly the most recognizable opening movie sequences of all time. I'm sure there goal is to preserve it as much as possible. There's nothing you can do about opening logo's on the screen, but you can still preserve the music 100%.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

Explain

Basically just that Obi Wan served no purpose in the film and they kept writing ways for him to be excluded from the action, usually by sitting on the ship.

Google Red Letter Media. He explains far better than I could.
redline248
AG
The problem is that many think the Fox music is part of the SW music. It's not, and Disney won't (can't?) use it.
SapperAg
AG
The Red Letter reviews are fantastic. His basic point regarding Obi Wan was that he was a tailor-made focal point for the series and instead, he's shoved aside until much later in the third film. There's a reason the third film is much better than the first two. Obi Wan is someone the audience can connect with. Anakin is too remote a figure (before he got transformed into a completely lousy character) with a predetermined arc. Liam Neeson's character adds nothing and comes off as a liar and a fool. And Jar Jar should be a war crime.
AliasMan02
AG
I wish he hadn't done them in character.
SapperAg
AG
The Episode 1 review in character was great. Went downhill after that.
Jacques
Bottom line is that in 5 hours the first two movies have maybe an hour or so of plot. TOPS. Then, everything you want to see happens in the last half of the third movie.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'm sure many thought there was no way a star trek reboot could capture the magic of Shatner/Nimoy. I think JJ can pull this off.

Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were what really made TOS really special for me. Karl Urban's version makes the new series for me. That's not to say that the others aren't great, but I feel that Urban really hit the mark.

I also want to mention that the humanizing of Spock (making him more emotional outwardly, his relationship with Uhara) just isn't how I envisioned him in the reboot. It's almost as if they are making him embrace his human side more readily. The alien traditions for Vulcans in TOS which continued through the franchise actually was interesting.

[This message has been edited by jabberwalkie09 (edited 5/8/2014 1:46p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Regarding the Opening Sequence / music to the movie... I don't see why they would go away from the opening orchestra music we are so accustomed to. The Disney logo and/or castle (re-made with a specific look for Star Wars) would go perfectly where the 20th Century Fox Logo usually did. Would it be against all Holleywood rules to then have the Bad Robot and Lucasfilm logo's run at the same time, then fading to "A long time ago..."

It's quite possibly the most recognizable opening movie sequences of all time. I'm sure there goal is to preserve it as much as possible. There's nothing you can do about opening logo's on the screen, but you can still preserve the music 100%.

Got chills just thinking about it. #nerd

But yeah, Disney cannot and absolutely will not use the Fox fanfare.
Creme de Menthe
quote:
Bottom line is that in 5 hours the first two movies have maybe an hour or so of plot. TOPS. Then, everything you want to see happens in the last half of the third movie.

Yep. This exactly. The third prequel is widely seen as the best and that is for a very clear reason - everything we originally wanted out of the Star Wars backstory took place in that movie alone.

The first two were really just CGI masturbation without a plot. Hell, the first movie didn't even have a protagonist! Anakin was on-screen a tiny amount time other than pod-racing and wasn't compelling at all. You could even make the case that the unnecessary Qui Gon was the main character! They could have started with a teenaged Anakin, skipped cheapening the whole franchise with Midichlorians, never had a Qui Gon, dumped almost all of the waaaaaay overly-long Transformers-esq CGI races and battles, and just focused on Palpatine's manipulations of a precocious but rebellious and frustrated Anakin, who finds and self-sabotages the love of his life. Cut out all fat, tighten up the dialogue, lay off the CG, avoid over-exploring politics, delete the storylines that don't head anywhere, recognize that child-actors suck, and wham! you actually have something people would've liked and they could've done in one film.

[This message has been edited by Creme de Menthe (edited 5/8/2014 1:53p).]
double aught
AG
It's pretty ridiculous that the Clone Wars are barely seen in the movies.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
It's pretty ridiculous that the Clone Wars are barely seen in the movies.

And that they were given a cgi series. Especially when you think about the fact that in the original trilogy they made it a point to mention that Obi Wan had fought in the clone wars.

[This message has been edited by jabberwalkie09 (edited 5/8/2014 1:55p).]
Scotch
AG
If these sequels hit a home run, would there be any possibility that they could remake Epidodes 1-3?

I can dream, can't I?
AliasMan02
AG
The best way to "remake" 1-3 would be to tell new stories set in that timeline, I think. Maybe not even involving the main characters.

And tell some Dark Times stories.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Let the prequels be and focus on new stories.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
But yeah, Disney cannot and absolutely will not use the Fox fanfare.

Oh crap, I totally forgot that the music is a 20th Century Fox thing and not a Star Wars thing!!! The orchestra music just matches Star Wars so well and I've always associated it with that. Is there a story there... did John Williams do that opening "jingle" and it was so popular after Star Wars that 20th Cent. Fox just kept it? Or had they used that prior to Star Wars?
Jacques
There's nothing really to remake. An interesting thing about the movie format is that it forces you not to tell everything there is to tell. And also gives you license not to.

Everyone had an idea in mind about how Anakin turned. About his relationship with Obi Wan. About how the Jedi were killed off. What you filled in with your imagination was a hell of a lot better than what Lucas filled in for you.

Good moviemaking does that. The first second you see Vader you know he's bad. You know the emperor is bad. The idea that Vader had a past that left him open to turning was fantastic. But you didn't need to see it to make any of the first three movies better.
Ulrich
Let the prequels be. I've posted versions of what Creme posted. This trilogy needed a heavy hand when they were editing the script. With better dialogue and directing I think they had the seeds of two great movies, but because they were poorly written, too childish, and diluted over too much boring screen time you're left not really getting how much Anakin goes through.

He was born a slave, taken away from his mother at 9 years of age, later held his mother as she died from torture, slaughtered a whole village, was manipulated by a powerful Sith Lord, had a secret family in violation of the code of the order to which he dedicated his life... this character is very dark and conflicted. Or would have been, if it weren't for the angels of Iego and sand monologue and everyone falling asleep during an interminable pod racing sequence.

In Ep I he's a funny little boy; in Ep II he is petulant and brash rather than dark. Both times it's because they didn't want to make the movie too dark for little kids. This is a dark origin story; it's not for kids. If you want to make a children's movie, make it about something else. When you get to Ep III, which actually is dark, the crucial moment is almost out of nowhere in spite of spending two and a half movies setting it up.
Jacques
The studio knew all three episodes were going to be a cash machine even if they sucked. So they let him make two pointless movies.
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.