Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,304 Views | 43820 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by The Porkchop Express
InnerCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
The force ghosts themselves become a collective overused aspect of "the force"

How are they overused? Obi-Wan shows up for maybe 5 mins of total screen time as a ghost, and Yoda and Anakin for 6 seconds.

Exactly my point, Nostradumbass. They are overused.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Lies. All lies.

Kidding, but in a vacumn the prequels are bad.

Bad plots and bad acting. The worst part is that almost all of them ARE good actors.

I'm not saying people would say they're great, but I don't think they would have the absolute hatred that they have. I think they would be comparable to movies like John Carter or maybe even the second Thor movie. Movies that some people kind of liked, some didn't, but pretty much forgotten soon after.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

How are they overused? Obi-Wan shows up for maybe 5 mins of total screen time as a ghost, and Yoda and Anakin for 6 seconds.

So you think they should be in the movies zero percent of the time? OK. I get it now. You're an idiot and I can disregard anything else you say from here. Thanks for clarifying.
InnerCityAg
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So you think they should be in the movies zero percent of the time? OK. I get it now. You're an idiot and I can disregard anything else you say from here. Thanks for clarifying.

You think that 5 minutes is not an overuse? I bet you'd like to see an animated series of nothing but force ghosts.
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Force ghosts gave an out for Luke to guide him when he had no one to guide him in his Jedi skills. It was a bit of an easy out, and whoever said that it was Deus Ex Machina was right. Unfortunately, the force ghost aspect has been reinforced from the clone wars cartoon when they explained the prophecy relating to Anakin. I don't have a problem with them popping up every now and again to advance the Jedi plotline, but it was just an easy way for Lucas to advance the plot and "commune with the force."
brents1975
Total fan boy here. Bad star wars movies > no star wars movies
Ganondorf
AG
InnerCityAg has to be a troll because approx. 6 minutes out of 800 is 0.0075% of the time. That's the least overuse anything can possibly have. If you count EU and all the holocron and Sith ghosts then maybe I see a point.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
Lies. All lies.

Kidding, but in a vacumn the prequels are bad.

Bad plots and bad acting. The worst part is that almost all of them ARE good actors.

I'm not saying people would say they're great, but I don't think they would have the absolute hatred that they have. I think they would be comparable to movies like John Carter or maybe even the second Thor movie. Movies that some people kind of liked, some didn't, but pretty much forgotten soon after.

The point is if they werent Star Wars movies most wouldnt see them.

The anger is they made pieces of crap that people want to see.

Take away Star Wars from the title, and there is no sequel to The Phantom Menace and its one of the biggest busts ever.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
The point is if they werent Star Wars movies most wouldnt see them.

You have no idea if that is true or not.

quote:
The anger is they made pieces of crap that people want to see.

I agree that there is more anger that the movies didn't live up to what people wanted. In a stand alone movie, that anger doesn't exist.

quote:
Take away Star Wars from the title, and there is no sequel to The Phantom Menace and its one of the biggest busts ever.

Again, you have no idea if that is true or not. If there is no Star Wars and The Phantom Menace came out when it did, people's attitudes toward the movie would be completely different. Does it become as successful as the original? Of course not. But if marketed correctly, it could of made quite a bit of money.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
^ Precisely.

People forget how awesome the podrace and the Maul lightsaber duel were in the theater, especially with high quality sound. And the soundtrack is obviously amazing.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Take away the Star Wars title and here is how most people respond to the movie:

1. Medicloreans: "I'm glad they explained that, it helps explain that this little kid has the potential to be really powerful!"

2. Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: "That was awesome, I wish the Star Wars movies had fights like that!"

3. Anakin Skywalker: "I'm interested to see what happens to this kid as he grows up."

4. The Movie in general: "I've seen better, but man my kids love that movie. That's cool that they catered to the younger audience."

5. Jar Jar Binks: "That thing is friggin annoying!" (No change)
Ag Since 83
AG
I think word of mouth would have been terrible and killed the movie after a big opening weekend. Jar Jar and the droid army were just painfully bad. And then the annoying kid accidentally wins the space battle at the end.

Basically, anyone over the age of 12 without kids would have stayed away, awesome lightsaber battle or not.
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone who defends the prequels just has bad taste for movies.
Rudyjax
AG
The movie Fanboys makes me really sad because the kids dying wish was to see that piece of crap.
Ag Since 83
AG
True, but it did end with a great closing line right before the credits
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
on Force Ghosts, in an early version of the screenplay, Obi-Wan had left Luke a hidden message in the hilt of his lightsaber on how to find Dagobah - pretty cool.

Not sure why we have to argue over the prequels being bad or good when Rebels and Episode VII both come out in the next 19 months.

I liked the prequels, you didn't. We can continue co-existing on this planet and in this thread.
Hagen95
AG
I see the potential for Ep VII to suffer the same fate as Ep I in that the hype is so high it will never live up to the expectations of its fans.

I stood in line for hours to see a midnight showing of Ep I and, other than the pod race and the Darth Maul fight, was so disappointed.

It took me a long time to come to grips that the originals were targeted at me as a kid and I have such a huge bias towards them. I just didn't enjoy a similarly kid-age targeted series of movies as an adult.

I will miss the 20th Century Fox opening at the new movie.
redline248
AG
The strangest thing to me is that people like the pod race and not the use of force ghosts
Ulrich
The originals had appeal for everyone. I and II were overly complicated children's movies. III was poorly done but had seeds of greatness.
InnerCityAg
quote:
The strangest thing to me is that people like the pod race and not the use of force ghosts

Force ghosts are trash.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I see the potential for Ep VII to suffer the same fate as Ep I in that the hype is so high it will never live up to the expectations of its fans.

I stood in line for hours to see a midnight showing of Ep I and, other than the pod race and the Darth Maul fight, was so disappointed.

It took me a long time to come to grips that the originals were targeted at me as a kid and I have such a huge bias towards them. I just didn't enjoy a similarly kid-age targeted series of movies as an adult.

I agree to an extent.

If you go into the new movies expecting to be disappointed, you will be ok.

That's how I treated the second and third prequel.
Ag Since 83
AG
quote:

This. The Fox fanfare is practically the first few measures of the SW theme to me. Every time I see a Fox movie, I expect the SW theme and crawl after the fanfare.
Rudyjax
AG
Agreed
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
This. The Fox fanfare is practically the first few measures of the SW theme to me. Every time I see a Fox movie, I expect the SW theme and crawl after the fanfare.

+1

The Disney opening just won't feel right. At least we'll still have the Lucasfilm logo.
jeffk
AG
When will they update to 21st Century Fox?
Simplebay
AG
Disney Logo at the beginning of it
Rudyjax
AG
Tinkerbell flying around Cinderella's castle.
jokershady
AG
since this seems to be some debate brewing regarding the prequels.....here is the nostalgia critic's top 11 GOOD THINGS from the star wars prequels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buXz4BYS8kw
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Anyone seen Yoda Chronicles on Disney? Its geared to kids but actually pretty good/humorous.
TCTTS
AG
The Disney Logo can be done well. It obviously won't be anything like the Tron: Legacy version, but this is an example of a slightly more serious tone. It doesn't have to always be Tinkerbell and fireworks...

http://youtu.be/QBN-Iolxa1o

Besides, Star Wars never even used the full 20th Century Fox animation. The full one, in most 20th Century Fox movies, pans around the logo and then settles at its base, looking up. The Star Wars versions always did the quick glimpse, without the panning. I imagine the Disney one will be quicker as well.

Regardless, here's the full Disney version before The Avengers...

http://youtu.be/V4wlO2jVhPw

My guess is, length-wise, it'll be closer to the Tron version, and also without the Disney music. Then they might customize it in some way as well. I'm sure there's a space-adventure version of the logo that would work really well.

Also, don't forget the Bad Robot logo/animation as well. Imagine something like this, sans music (I imagine more of a tone or single note)...

http://youtu.be/f1HmVCs84YY

Or maybe something more like this, but with the Bad Robot logo in between, and a hint of the theme playing (like Abrams has done for the past two Star Trek movies)...

http://youtu.be/EWbW8aRBESQ

For comparison, here are two of my favorite Paramount openings, the one for Star Trek (with the music) and the one for Transformers (with the sounds effects). There's so many directions this new logo combo can could go. Either way, I'm looking forward to see what they try...

http://youtu.be/_aT_SrvqIn8

http://youtu.be/GQbVEBUg8AA

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/7/2014 8:22p).]
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
quote:

+1

The Disney opening just won't feel right. At least we'll still have the Lucasfilm logo.

Here
jabberwalkie09
AG
I see something more along the lines of Tron: Legacy's opening for Star Wars from here on out. It fits a lot better IMO. I recently rewatched Legacy actually, and forgot how much I really liked it but that is not for this thread. I don't see how they could swing doing the music for the movie in the opening since traditionally the first piece played is the title music for the scroll. IF they did, it would have to be something recognizable and very, very short, like a snippet from "binary sunset" Just my thoughts on it.

[This message has been edited by jabberwalkie09 (edited 5/7/2014 7:23p).]
Creme de Menthe
I have to contest the notion I'm seeing repeatedly on here that the Phantom Menace would've been favorably received had the Star Wars franchise not already existed.

It was just a bad movie, guys. Just bad.

I REALLY wanted to like it and I gave it HUGE benefit of the doubt, but it had a poor plot, lacked a protagonist, the director illicited wooden performances from the actors, the dialogue was stilted, and it featured the really bizarre juxtaposition of a complex political backstory too convoluted for most adults overlaid with a film clearly designed for 8 year-olds, whereas the original was more broadly appealing.

Had it stood on its own, it would've been a financial disaster. The presence of Jar Jar would've assured it a Razzie.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

This. I have never heard of anyone being against force ghosts. Hated the whole pod racing thing, that was a 30-45 min that could have been spent on anything else. Pod racing is and will never be "wizard."
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Unknown Thought has set me straight - I have bad tastes for movies because I enjoyed all of the Star Wars movies.

Thanks for that.

First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 1253

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.