Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,442 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The studio knew all three episodes were going to be a cash machine even if they sucked. So they let him make two pointless movies.

There was no studio in control. Lucas bankrolled the prequels himself.
Jacques
Maybe the production. But they have to distribute it and market it.
AliasMan02
AG
Right. Just saying they had no creative control.
Rudyjax
AG
Lucas was his own worst enemy. I am so glad the last 3 are out of his hands.
AliasMan02
AG
There is no "last three." Disney is planning to ramp up to releasing one Star Wars movie every year; tentpoles every three.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Disney will do to Star Wars what they did to Marvel. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
There is no "last three." Disney is planning to ramp up to releasing one Star Wars movie every year; tentpoles every three.

The last three of Lucas' intended 9. I guess.
Jacques
quote:
Lucas was his own worst enemy. I am so glad the last 3 are out of his hands.

His big problem was he has three movies and a defined ending point he had to hit. And other plot points he had to hit along the way. That screws so much with your creativity.
Rudyjax
AG
That and it appeared as if he hadnt watched the other 3 in 10 years.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Definitely could have benefited from an older Anakin in Episode I. And Qui-Gon deciding it was a good idea to take Jar Jar along on the Tatooine part of the journey instead of his own apprentice was a bit of a stretch.

Heck, in Episode II, Padme acts pleased to see Obi-Wan when they shared 2 lines of dialogue in TPM!

More disappointed to not have Episode III involve at least some of Vader hunting down other Jedi post-order 66 rather than missing stuff about the Clone Wars.

Jacques
A kid like Haley Joel Osment might have worked in Episode 1.

It was almost like different people directed Anakin and Qui Gon.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

The last three of Lucas' intended 9. I guess.

Any intent Lucas had for 9 films was blown when he made Jedi and changed the dynamics of a bunch of the relationships, notably making Luke and Leia siblings. Lucas was always full of it. In one interview he would say he had episodes 1-3 all mapped out (obvious lie). Other times he would say he started with episode 4 to make it feel serial. Other times he would say he had nine movies all planned out, then say he never had plans for a third trilogy.

I love Star Wars, and Lucas created something awesome. For that, I thank him. He's still a liar, though. At least keep your story straight.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
More disappointed to not have Episode III involve at least some of Vader hunting down other Jedi post-order 66 rather than missing stuff about the Clone Wars.

While I think Vader hunting down Jedi that had gone to earth would have been some cool scenes, the right beat to end Ep III on was his transformation into his new self.

I really need to go back and watch 1-3. I haven't seen them in years.
Rudyjax
AG
I do know Lucas lies to fit his current narrative.
Red Five
AG
quote:
Disney will do to Star Wars what they did to Marvel. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.
That will depend entirely on your point of view (thanks, Obi Wan). For me, Star Wars taking the Marvel route isn't a good thing, it's the best thing. I can definitely see some people getting burned out though. I just hope there are enough people like me out there to keep the content churning out at that pace. I'll never get enough.
AliasMan02
AG
Agree with Red Five.
Cyprian
AG
quote:

I wish they would change that to every 2-3 years. Every year seems like a bit much to sustain while maintaining high quality, film to film, and it becomes more of a regular thing rather than a more special moment when one is released.
AliasMan02
AG
It will be just like the Marvel setup. Less frequent, actually, as Marvel does two per year.
Bruce Almighty
AG
As long as they are well made, they can keep churning them out. I just don't want them to go the Spider-Man route, or even worse, DC and start pumping out movies without any real plan in place.
Rudyjax
AG
I don't pay attention to comic book movies. What are they doing?
AliasMan02
AG
When you think about it, there will be way less crossover in the Star Wars films. Most of the associated films will take place in other timed or placed than the primary Episodes.
Red Five
AG
Agreed. I sincerely hope we get things like Han Solo's adventures in the corporate sector prior to Ep IV, and things along those veins. I will still always hold out hope for Rogue Squadron as well.
AliasMan02
AG
Just thought of something... Maybe this had been discussed, but...

Isn't there a real chance than Joss gets to make a Star Wars movie now?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Oh crap, I totally forgot that the music is a 20th Century Fox thing and not a Star Wars thing!!! The orchestra music just matches Star Wars so well and I've always associated it with that. Is there a story there... did John Williams do that opening "jingle" and it was so popular after Star Wars that 20th Cent. Fox just kept it? Or had they used that prior to Star Wars?

Yes, the reason you associate it with Star Wars so much is because Star Wars is the reason it's still even in use. Read below.

quote:
The 20th Century Fox Fanfare was composed in 1933 by Alfred Newman, longtime head of Fox's music department. In 1954, an extended version was created for CinemaScope films, and debuted on the film The Robe.

In the mid-to-late 1970s, the 20th Century Fox logo had all but been phased out. However, Lucas enjoyed the logo and Alfred Newman music so much that he insisted it be used for his Star Wars films. The fanfare and logo have, since then, enjoyed a rebirth in usage.

When John Williams signed onto the Star Wars project, one of his first moves was to compose the Main Title to Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope in the same key as the 20th Century Fox Fanfare. He has said before that it was truly meant as another extension of the fanfare, and it has since then been adopted by Star Wars film score buffs as part and parcel of the scores to Star Wars.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/20th_Century_Fox_Fanfare

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 5/8/2014 4:15p).]
Ulrich
I think one SW per year is about right, assuming that they branch out and explore some different times and characters rather than using them all to drive the same main plot line.
redline248
AG
Are the off year movies going to be live action or animated(cgi)?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
All claymation.
AliasMan02
AG
Haha. That would rule.

But they will be live action.
Creme de Menthe
I think that Lucas has some sort of Autism-spectrum disorder. If you think about it that way, it all makes sense.

He has the genius to create the Star Wars universe and the first story in it, but he lacks the emotional understanding to craft realistic dialogue, to write scenes where characters interact normally, or to direct people to act in life-like fashion.

Maybe it's apocryphal, but I remember hearing that Harrison Ford ad-libbed a significant number of his lines and berated Lucas that "I can't say this ****. People don't talk this way" or something to that affect.

There are definitely some clumsy lines and scenes in the originals, but Lucas was kept in check by the studio. The perfect storm was Lucas writing, directing, producing, and editing his own socially retarded script for the prequels without any outside input, unchecked by a crew of people over-awed by his presence.

It's a if he doesn't experience a full range of emotions, or at least not in a normal way, but he has read about them, and has observed their outward expression, so he thinks he can mimic them. His scripts and direction are then Lucas trying to render these external expressions without understanding where they come from or what they feel like.

If you consider it that way, the actors couldn't get any direction from him because he didn't really intrinsically understand what he was asking them to convey, and they, the actors, couldn't do it themselves because the scenes Lucas wrote are so awkward and unrealistic to begin with. The result is cringe-worthy lines woodenly delivered, and almost unwatchable, awkward, boring films.

[This message has been edited by Creme de Menthe (edited 5/9/2014 1:04p).]
Rudyjax
AG
If you look at him like Sheldon Cooper, it makes sense.
Creme de Menthe
Exactly. Sheldon is a genius, and likable after a fashion, but if you tasked him with writing a scene about star-crossed lovers dealing with the inevitable impossibility of their relationship amidst the background of a war, you'd wind up with "Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo." And if you had him direct it, you'd wind up with Portman's unconvincing, laugh-inducing delivery and Hayden Christiansen's phony snarl, dead-behind-the-eyes demeanor, and vacuum-like absence of pathos.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
quote:
That will depend entirely on your point of view (thanks, Obi Wan). For me, Star Wars taking the Marvel route isn't a good thing, it's the best thing. I can definitely see some people getting burned out though. I just hope there are enough people like me out there to keep the content churning out at that pace. I'll never get enough.

So, someone could say that Red Five is... standing by?

Yeeeaaahhh!
Jacques
quote:
I think that Lucas has some sort of Autism-spectrum disorder. If you think about it that way, it all makes sense.

He has the genius to create the Star Wars universe and the first story in it, but he lacks the emotional understanding to craft realistic dialogue, to write scenes where characters interact normally, or to direct people to act in life-like fashion.

Maybe it's apocryphal, but I remember hearing that Harrison Ford ad-libbed a significant number of his lines and berated Lucas that "I can't say this ****. People don't talk this way" or something to that affect.

There are definitely some clumsy lines and scenes in the originals, but Lucas was kept in check by the studio. The perfect storm was Lucas writing, directing, producing, and editing his own socially retarded script for the prequels without any outside input, unchecked by a crew of people over-awed by his presence.

It's a if he doesn't experience a full range of emotions, or at least not in a normal way, but he has read about them, and has observed their outward expression, so he thinks he can mimic them. His scripts and direction are then Lucas trying to render these external expressions without understanding where they come from or what they feel like.

If you consider it that way, the actors couldn't get any direction from him because he didn't really intrinsically understand what he was asking them to convey, and they, the actors, couldn't do it themselves because the scenes Lucas wrote are so awkward and unrealistic to begin with. The result is cringe-worthy lines woodenly delivered, and almost unwatchable, awkward, boring films.

[This message has been edited by Creme de Menthe (edited 5/9/2014 1:04p).]

That's all possible. But he wouldn't be the first guy to write bad dialogue. The reality is that it's not easy to write good dialogue. For some reason people just don't pay attention to how people talk.

If you were, for example, to ask your a average guy to write a conversation between two people talking about the weather, most guys would get it wrong.

But most scripts go through re-write after re-write to make the dialogue real. The prequels lacked that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd like to see a Star Wars movie with Tarantino-written dialogue.
redline248
AG
Does Yoda look like a twilek? Then why'd you try to f_ck him like a twilek?

Gungan, mother f_cker! Do you speak it?!
First Page Last Page
Page 33 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.