Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,740 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha, I love that this is already a story...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/harrison-ford-made-a-mistake-846050
Texaggie7nine
Since the official star wars twitter account retweeted I'm guessing it's not a spoiler.
7nine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kathleen Kennedy just said that prequel lore about the Sith/Jedi will be mentioned in TFA.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Since the official star wars twitter account retweeted I'm guessing it's not a spoiler.

The Source does not determine if something goes is a spoiler or not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
birdman
Haven't we seen Kylo Ren hold his light saber at Rey's throat in nearly every teaser and trailer?

I wouldn't call what Harrison Ford said that much of a spoiler.
TCTTS
AG
Yes, but it's honestly pretty shocking that she apparently even knows how to wield a lightsaber and go toe-to-toe with someone as skilled as Kylo. That's the "spoiler."
birdman
Rey and Ren. That seems like too cute names for twins. Just throwing it out there.
TCTTS
AG
Welcome to last year.
MGS
quote:
Who is Kilo?

Apparently the First Order has gone metric. That's how evil they are.
birdman
I realize I'm not breaking ground. I'm just redirecting this thread back to where it belongs. Crazy, crackpot theories.

All the minutiae and psycho-babble is exhausting. Especially since nobody has seen the movie. I understand it in a couple of weeks, but not now.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Yes, but it's honestly pretty shocking that she apparently even knows how to wield a lightsaber and go toe-to-toe with someone as skilled as Kylo. That's the "spoiler."
Maybe... but just because she fights him doesn't mean she knows what she's doing. And besides, we've already seen her use the "staff" like she's done it a time or twenty in some of the TV spots.

It could very well be two people (Rey & Finn) that will stand and fight, even when they should, perhaps, be running! And maybe that is an underlying theme... we've heard Finn say, "I've seen things... we should all run"... but at the end of the movie there he is standing tall.

I don't know... at this point there are so many theories about so many unknown plot points it doesn't really matter. Some of it will be right and some of it will be wrong. So close... avoided full spoilers for so long!!!
txagman1998
AG
quote:
I don't know... at this point there are so many theories about so many unknown plot points

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Young child with dreams
Dream every dream on your own
A sister named Rey,
Seems like you end up alone
Solo says he'd love to be with you
If he had the time
So you turn to the only friend you can find
The Force in your mind

Kylo when I was young,
I used to call your name
When no one else would come,
Kylo you always came and we'd play

The Collective
AG
Dafuq you talking about?
maca1028
quote:
quote:
I don't know... at this point there are so many theories about so many unknown plot points

https://media.giphy.com/media/OV5nKbNUVjmVy/giphy.gif

You were my cousins roommate?!

Weird! Right?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Dafuq you talking about?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
If I am reading the posts about the tree correctly:

The tree wasn't just a tree that was in a force epicenter. It was a tree that grew in the temple because someone was doing experiments on it and then it was transplanted on another planet that no one lived on for some reason and somehow either Yoda knew about it or he found it.

That is unneeded story telling that devalues the force.

If I have the wrong understanding of this trees backstory, let me know.

I groaned when I read the bit in the new book about going out to search for the spot where the dark side was created. It doesn't need to be created. Yin and yang. Dark exist because light exist. It doesn't need to be explained.

You whiffed pretty hard on all of that. Not sure how you got any of that from my post or this thread.
Duncan Idaho
I got it from the confirmation of this
quote:
quote:
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that Kylo is pulling some sort of Force essence from Vader's helmet. If a tree can be "soaked" in the Force from being in the Jedi temple, imagine Vader's helmet.

Huh? Is this some eu story behind the tree in jedi?

And this

quote:
I think people are overstating the "Force tree" thing. The idea that things or places can be strong in the Force is well rooted in the films, and of course beyond that in various other canon sources. The trees were just trees that grew in the Jedi temple, which Palpatine was doing experiments on. Presumably Dark Side experiments. The Force exists in all things, after all. Luke took one tree, and not expecting there to be a second, gave the extra to Poe Dameron's parents, which they planted on Yavin 4.

The new canon does tell us that Sidious was convinced that the Dark Side originated somewhere out beyond the Outer Rim. It radiated from some point, and he spent a lot of time trying to trace it to its source.

If we are talking about different trees let me know
maca1028
Just got done watching Fallon's interview with Adam Driver, that dude's weird as ****....

and I'm ok with that.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
TBH, I'm thinking Kylo may not be technically skilled as opposed to just being savage and strong, overwhelming his opponents. Now, as to Rey being knowledgeable about how to use a lightsaber, I've been wondering for some time where she was and what she was doing prior to Jakku. Perhaps she was at Luke's Jedi Academy if he set it up and her being able to fight Kylo is more muscle memory type of thing even if she doesn't remember it all?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
As one of, if not the leading nerd here, I have to say when you start getting revved up in an argument about the properties of a Force-imbued tree, it might be time to lay off the blue milk for a while.
TCTTS
AG
As mentioned before, the problem with that is that she and Finn clearly have only heard rumors and dubious stories about Luke, the Jedi, the Dark Side, etc, re Han's speech in the trailer. Had she been a pupil of Luke, she wouldn't be asking Han the question she asks.
jr15aggie
AG
Look, we all know there is "something" going on with Rey. She's a friggin pilot afterall. And not just "I know how to turn it in" either... She takes the Falcon on a joy ride like we haven't seen since Han dodged asteroids and Lando flew inside the Death Star.

We don't know what, but we'll find out soon. At this point nothing will surprise me, but I think it goes without question the force is strong with this one.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
As mentioned before, the problem with that is that she and Finn clearly have only heard rumors and dubious stories about Luke, the Jedi, the Dark Side, etc, re Han's speech in the trailer. Had she been a pupil of Luke, she wouldn't be asking Han the question she asks.
There's also the problem with her knowing how to pilot the Falcon by herself apparently.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On the 12 days till Sithmas, my true love sent to me
a Poe Dameron in a Force tree.
TCTTS
AG
Good point. That one is definitely still a head scratcher for me. I'm really, really hoping it's not as lame as A) she automatically knows how to pilot the Falcon simply because she's a resourceful scavenger who has driven run down speeders on Jakku, and B) the Falcon is just some random abandoned ship her and Finn happen to come across with the keys in the ignition.

That said, one going theory I like is that it's Poe who has piloted the Falcon to Jakku for his reconnasance mission with BB-8. He's landed on Jakku in the opening scene, is taken captive by Kylo in the raid, BB-8 escapes, happens upon Rey, and then ultimately leads her to the Falcon. I could buy that. Still, her being able to pilot it - and pilot it extremely well based on that Jakku chase sequence - seems pretty far fetched, unless they have some really good backstory for her (which they very well may). If anything, it's at least cool that Rey obviously knows the layout of that downed star destroyer so well that that's where she leads the TIE fighters through in attempt to outmaneuver/lose them.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

Unless after his Jedi students were killed, Rey was one of them and he wiped her memory to protect her?
TCTTS
AG
I mean, I guess I could buy him doing that via some kind of super Jedi mind trick or whatever, but that seems like an awfully flimsy plot device to hang her story on.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I mean, I guess I could buy him doing that via some kind of super Jedi mind trick or whatever, but that seems like an awfully flimsy plot device to hang her story on.

I'm not advocating it. I'm just saying. She's obviously pretty capable from all her time by herself of Jakku. While not trained, she probably has come to trust this "extra sense" she has. Would explain her reflexes in flying the Falcon and fighting Kylo.
Knife_Party
Something that I haven't seen get much discussion is that Rey is on Jakku waiting on her family based on the dialogue with BB-8 in one of the trailers. I don't know why she is waiting, but it could play in to why she is there and the skills that she has developed/learned. It could be as simple as she is a force sensitive pilot who just hasn't flown the Falcon before but has flown other craft. Force sensitivity would make anyone look like a badass pilot with the pre-cognition ability
jeffk
AG
Maybe the Falcon has been soaked with the Force because of all the Skywalkers it's been lugging around over the years and now it practically flies itself?
Donald Glover
AG
R0GUE
AG
quote:
On the 12 days till Sithmas, my true love sent to me
a Poe Dameron in a Force tree.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KEEP DOING THIS FOR THE REST OF THE DAYS!!
TCTTS
AG
YouTube link now available...

First Page Last Page
Page 287 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.