Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,247 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought he was hinting at Luke being in Kylo's gear. And, I guess that is what I was dismissing but saying would be incredible.

I do agree that is probably him with R2 though. Do we assume that scene is a flashback or in real time? Perhaps that is the capture of Poe? I can't keep up with the theories on this... which I guess is a good thing.
The Collective
AG
So, my 4 year old wanted to see "Walkers" due to them being really "cool" in his sticker book, so I showed him the Imperial invasion of the rebel base on Hoth. He loved it, effectively blew my 4 year olds mind. He had lots of questions but one stumped me. "Why didn't the Jedi just jump up on the Walker?" At that point, I realized his exposure to Star Wars has been the Clone Wars cartoon and some choice scenes from a few of the movies. **** the cartoony Jedi Tricks that occur in Star Wars material after the OT.
Fenrir
quote:
So, my 4 year old wanted to see "Walkers" due to them being really "cool" in his sticker book, so I showed him the Imperial invasion of the rebel base on Hoth. He loved it, effectively blew my 4 year olds mind. He had lots of questions but one stumped me. "Why didn't the Jedi just jump up on the Walker?" At that point, I realized his exposure to Star Wars has been the Clone Wars cartoon and some choice scenes from a few of the movies. **** the cartoony Jedi Tricks that occur in Star Wars material after the OT.
It's not like there are bunch of Jedi on Hoth. There is Luke and...who else?

EDIT: I'm also a bit surprised we haven't seen a flying Jedi by now...they can lift a space craft with ease but can't fling themselves using the force?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, and it's not like Luke was a fully-trained Jedi by that point. He hadn't even been to Yoda yet.
LeonardSkinner
There was only one Jedi there, Luke. And he hadn't yet received any real training in the Force besides a few days with Ben. The Jedi from the prequel trilogy and the cartoons had the training and experience.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
EDIT: I'm also a bit surprised we haven't seen a flying Jedi by now...they can lift a space craft with ease but can't fling themselves using the force?

This makes me think of the Mistborn trilogy. What if the Force is like the push-pull allomancy? All a Jedi would need to do, to fly, is just push the ground away.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Posted on this thread at some point, but posting it again cause of how badass it is.

See, THIS is what was missing from Mace Windu in the prequels. You say he's the baddest Jedi in the galaxy? SHOW us.
wangus12
AG
Always loved that scene. Mace by all accounts was a total badass. His weakest showing is in the films, and that's not really SLJ's fault. Just how he was written.
The Collective
AG
He knew Luke was the only Jedi. In this case, he was using it as a singular term. I didn't even want to go down the road of explaining training. He just turned 4, so to him, lightsaber = Jedi. I ended up telling him Luke was really young, and his retort was that he didn't look young (he likes to debate/argue). We went back and forth for a few minutes, and I eventually told him that maybe the Midichlorians freeze up in the snow, and he just gave me a WTF look as I laughed at my own lame joke.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
and I eventually told him that maybe the Midichlorians freeze up in the snow, and he just gave me a WTF look as I laughed at my own lame joke.
That's a dad joke if I've ever heard one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Muck is either busy or forgot to do his pick 3 today, so I'll offer one of my own.

Top 3 planets you'd like to visit?
TCTTS
AG
At least one villain is now confirmed to carry over to Episode VIII...

http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-episode-8-character/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My list:

1. Naboo

2. Coruscant

3. Alderaan
HeadGames
AG
1.) Dathomir
2.) Yavin IV
3.) Corellia
double aught
AG
10K posts
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn, totally missed it. We did it everyone!

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
This makes me think of the Mistborn trilogy. What if the Force is like the push-pull allomancy? All a Jedi would need to do, to fly, is just push the ground away.
Mistborn reference in the house!!!!!!!

But yeah, very much Jedi traits in that book explained in a very specific way.
AliasMan02
AG
I think people are overstating the "Force tree" thing. The idea that things or places can be strong in the Force is well rooted in the films, and of course beyond that in various other canon sources. The trees were just trees that grew in the Jedi temple, which Palpatine was doing experiments on. Presumably Dark Side experiments. The Force exists in all things, after all. Luke took one tree, and not expecting there to be a second, gave the extra to Poe Dameron's parents, which they planted on Yavin 4.

The new canon does tell us that Sidious was convinced that the Dark Side originated somewhere out beyond the Outer Rim. It radiated from some point, and he spent a lot of time trying to trace it to its source.
TCTTS
AG
Carrie Fisher is the best...

http://www.hitfix.com/news/carrie-fisher-just-scorched-good-morning-america-and-youre-not-worthy
R0GUE
AG
quote:
I think people are overstating the "Force tree" thing. The idea that things or places can be strong in the Force is well rooted in the films, and of course beyond that in various other canon sources. The trees were just trees that grew in the Jedi temple, which Palpatine was doing experiments on. Presumably Dark Side experiments. The Force exists in all things, after all. Luke took one tree, and not expecting there to be a second, gave the extra to Poe Dameron's parents, which they planted on Yavin 4.

The new canon does tell us that Sidious was convinced that the Dark Side originated somewhere out beyond the Outer Rim. It radiated from some point, and he spent a lot of time trying to trace it to its source.
Agree 100%
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One of the funniest, most entertaining people in the world.

And lol at Gary.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Carrie Fisher is the best...

http://www.hitfix.com/news/carrie-fisher-just-scorched-good-morning-america-and-youre-not-worthy
Funniest thing I've seen in awhile. I'm intrigued by Gary's twitter account now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy ****, I just got it.

Gary Fisher. The dog's name is Gary Fisher.

https://twitter.com/Gary_TheDog
Sex Panther
AG
Carrie Fisher is like an old white lady version of Tracy Morgan
Duncan Idaho
quote:

I don't think people have a problem with places being or things being soaked in the force. What I have a problem when you feel compelled to make up a stupid story explaining why some something is when half of what makes it great is that it just is.

The thrawin books didn't feel the need to explain it . It just was a spot of dark force that could hide a jedi as powerful as yoda. Done and done. That is all you need.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think people have a problem with places being or things being soaked in the force. What I have a problem when you feel compelled to make up a stupid story explaining why some something is when half of what makes it great is that it just is.

The thrawin books didn't feel the need to explain it . It just was a spot of dark force that could hide a jedi as powerful as yoda. Done and done. That is all you need.

I'm not sure what your complaint is. What "stupid story" are you suggesting they have created? That there is a tree that is strong in the Force because it grew in a Force epicenter?
Duncan Idaho
If I am reading the posts about the tree correctly:

The tree wasn't just a tree that was in a force epicenter. It was a tree that grew in the temple because someone was doing experiments on it and then it was transplanted on another planet that no one lived on for some reason and somehow either Yoda knew about it or he found it.

That is unneeded story telling that devalues the force.

If I have the wrong understanding of this trees backstory, let me know.

I groaned when I read the bit in the new book about going out to search for the spot where the dark side was created. It doesn't need to be created. Yin and yang. Dark exist because light exist. It doesn't need to be explained.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
^ That's one scene I definitely hadn't heard of yet.
Duncan Idaho
Hope that is a joke/hack and not a spoiler and/or the truth.
TCTTS
AG
It's legit.
The Collective
AG
Who is Kilo?
TCTTS
AG
Kind of amazing that the official Star Wars site can't even spell the name right.
Duncan Idaho
So the hero chick is going head to head with the main bad guy...? In the first movie?

I am officially nervous that this will suck.

Either her back story is a lot more than I thought or his back story is a lot less than I thought
First Page Last Page
Page 286 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.