Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,852 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Then again, the english language technically doesn't exist in this world either. If you want to get super nerdy with it - what we're actually seeing/hearing is basically the english translation of whatever language these people speak. So, you could technically explain it away as it's our translation for their word for "hell." /end over-analytical rationale
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
so Dooku leaves the order to pursue the second sith, whomever might be, as he's already convinced Maul is the apprentice
So Dooku was a Jedi until the end of Phantom Menace and set out on his own to find the other Sith and ending up turning?

Yes, that's the story they made up for him in the EU. Of course, he didn't appear anywhere in TPM, which would have made the story make sense, but George Lucas!
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Hell yes. Though a stormtrooper fighting a lightsaber user hand to hand is weird.

I thought it looked kinda awesome.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
LOVE this spot, but does anyone else find it weird that the word "hell" exists in this world?
Sir, your tauntaun will freeze before you make it past the first marker!
The Collective
AG
quote:
What the galactic ****?

WNB
TCTTS
AG
Btw, exactly one month from this very moment many of us will be in the theater watching a brand new Star Wars movie.

EDIT: Never mind - that was last night!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No, you're still right. Many of us for the second time.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Just as a counterpoint, my 2, 4, and 6 year olds have seen Episodes 1-6 more times than i can count. My 2 year ago can name most major characters. I'd bet on my 6 year old in any Star Wars trivia contest. Last week i mentioned to my 6 year old that the Ghost crew probably retires to Alderaan, and he laughed out loud.

I'm taking my 4 and 6 year olds to TFA in 3D. I would recommend taking a young child to a 3D movie to test their reaction before taking them to TFA. I took my 6 year old to see The Martian in 3D and he did well. I'm taking the 4 year ago to see The Peanuts Movie this week.

I saw ANH probably 15 times as a 7-8 year old. These are kid movies. They can handle it.
TCTTS
AG
Cyprian
AG
Seems legit
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
18. An Old Hope and End Credits
amercer
AG
Han's grisly end
The reunion of Rey Skywalker and her grandfather
General Jar Jars March
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
General Jar Jar's March ... Could be legit, I am pretty sure he was promoted to general toward the end of TPM
Donald Glover
AG
Is anybody else seeing the marathon of every movie in theaters? Cannot wait for December 18
wangus12
AG
I'll be in the seats at 3AM on the 17th for the marathon in Dallas.

That stormtrooper has some major balls taking on a lightsaber. I like it. Those dudes have the potential to be some bad mofos
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Who's your favorite character?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
LOVE this spot, but does anyone else find it weird that the word "hell" exists in this world?

Take it to the r&p board
codenameduchess
Duncan Idaho
quote:
WHOA!

That one probably has more excited than the others.
The Collective
AG
Padme as her favorite character? lol.

Now, she says Han Solo is her favorite character...
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Obi-Wan says damn in A New Hope.

This TV spot is perhaps my favorite. The brief bit of acting / dialogue we see is so good (especially compared to the last 3 Star Wars movies we've been given).

I too can't help but feel like we've seen enough. Even little touches like BB-8 going zero gravity while the Falcon spins around is a little touch and laugh that I wish was saved for the theater. Please... no more... I can't help but watch, but I don't want to see anymore!!!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
What the Han Solo reactions reminded me of

EDIT - this clips just reminds me how much I love Sarah Chalke.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

I first I was thinking "man that is a horrible photoshop"

Then I realized it was an actual still from the actual movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
...introduce the guy that trained & was later betrayed and thought killed by Palps.
Is there no evidence to Palp offing Plag? Seems like it's just speculation....but you see it mentioned alot on the interwebs.

The great novel Darth Plageius opens with Palpy having just killed Plageuis. And it's pretty concrete that the dude is dead. It's on the eve of Palpy being elected Supreme Chancellor during the events of TPM. WIthin the last year, Plageius has mastered the ability to bring dead beings back to life. He does it to another Force User, a Bith that was the second apprentice of his own Master (who he killed early in the novel in a mine collapse).

Over the course of the novel, which is really excellent, Plag recruits Palps and teaches him, and Palps ultimately saves Plag when he is nearly killed by assassins on Coruscant who don't know he's a Sith Lord, they think he's just a really important Muun.

Anyway, his wealth and power allow him to get Palps deeper and deeper into the politics game, and they are allowing themselves a very low key celebration - sharing a bottle of some high-end liquor while Palps writes his speech, which will include Plag, in his public form, being elevated to co-Chancellor, so they can rule together and live forever (sounds like a Rick Astley song).

Plag has been able to alter his body via the Force so that he no longer even sleeps, but falls asleep because of the heavy amount of booze he imbibes. He wears a breathing mask because of the injuries he sustained in the attacks years earlier, and the thing at first doesn't know how to compensate when he falls asleep. Palps uses this momentary confusion, and the fact that nobody's around, to light Plags up with Force Lightning.

Plags first doesn't do anything, doesn't even counter attack because he's so confident that he can bring himself back to life from the edge of death regardless of the amount of damage being done, but then Palps switches to a Force Choke and Plags can't bring himself back because he runs out of air to breath and dies.
Duncan Idaho
Is that book part of the office new cannon?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Is that book part of the office new cannon?

Nope.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

It's the reason why all of those shots in that last TV spot looked so good... they actually went on location and built sets. Kylo standing in front of a green screen? Nope, Kylo standing on Skellig Island in the middle of a wrecked castle and real fire. Han and Finn standing in front of a green screen with CG Chewbacca... nope, all 3 standing on a real set with real LED lights staring down a real emperial... err, new order... corridor.

Of course there is going to be a TON of CG and digital effects in this movie, but it's so much easier to do and looks so much better when you have a lot of real footage to blend it with.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's the reason why all of those shots in that last TV spot looked so good... they actually went on location and built sets. Kylo standing in front of a green screen? Nope, Kylo standing on Skellig Island in the middle of a wrecked castle and real fire. Han and Finn standing in front of a green screen with CG Chewbacca... nope, all 3 standing on a real set with real LED lights staring down a real emperial... err, new order... corridor.

Of course there is going to be a TON of CG and digital effects in this movie, but it's so much easier to do and looks so much better when you have a lot of real footage to blend it with.
That's the real crux of what is making so many of us so pumped. You use CGI when you must, not because you can. Particularly after TPM, Lucas and co. just blew off practical effects. They even made R2D2 CGI a few times, I mean really, WTF?

Obviously a lot of it had to be that way - Coruscant exteriors don't exist in our world, but you could have built nice Jedi temple interiors I cringe at the scene where Obi-Wan is walking through the temple to find Yoda because it's so sterile and fake.

Same with the fight on Mustafar. There are plenty of places on earth you could have found the dark, ashy rocks and surfaces you wanted and added in the lava itself later. All that crap with the rig going over the waterfall and the rope swinging, friggin awful. It was like their inner monologue was "You're going to swing on a rope at me with your lightsaber? WELL IM GOING TO SWING ON A ROPE AT YOU WITH MY LIGHTSABER!"

Duncan Idaho
This.

Even if the story hadn't been horrible and boring and nonsensical, I probably still wouldn't have bothered to watch them any more than twice because they looked so bad.

The r2 comment is a perfect example of this "because you can" problem. There was zero reason for having booster rockers on r2. Especially when viewed in light of the hanger screen in star wars.

The bespin interior scenes in the special edition was a good use of cgi
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
You use CGI when you must, not because you can.
Exactly! And sometimes, simply get rid of a particular shot when it forces you to go 100% CG and it's just not going to work.

You referenced a few CG R2 scenes. I specifically remember that scene in the factory when R2 pushess 3PO of the ledge and he ends up going for a ride on that flying robot thing. It was 100% CG 3PO getting tossed around and it looked really bad an unnatural. That's a prime example of "that shot isn't necessary" if it looks like crap. You can get the point across of 3PO getting made into a battle droid (which was also dumb and unnecessary) in other ways. But hey, that entire scene was 100% CG across the board, so when you draw it up that way (this is CG, and this is CG, and this is CG.... we'll make that CG too) it's hard to get these practical shots cause it's not part of the time budget... Anthony Daniels probably wasn't even on set when they shot those scenes with Natalie and Hayden jumping around on green foam pads with a big green curtain in the background.

I still give tons of credit to George for investing his money into so many things that really pushed special effects and sound for the entire movie industry. Unfortunately the prequels were a lesson learned that too much CG is a bad thing.
The Collective
AG
Buddy reminded me of this... I still chuckle at a few parts of it.
jr15aggie
AG
I like the "you don't know a thing about me" line in the new TV Spot. Hearing all the "I know your eyes" talk (probably towards Rey)... and, what I assume is the same scene, Finn is all 'Lady, you know know me!'.

Soon!
First Page Last Page
Page 267 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.