Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,753 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-11/18/star-wars-force-awakens-stormtrooper-dressing-room

Compare this to the clonetrooper dressing room of the prequels:
The Collective
AG
This is another one of those kids / Star Wars posts, so you've been warned if you don't give a damn about such things.

So, I have shown my oldest (just under 4) bits and pieces of the original trilogy, but he has not watched an entire movie. Outside of that, he's watched some of the droids (LEGO) material but no spoilers past the Clone Wars from that show yet. Based on a recommendation here, we have watched the Clone Wars movie and have started in on the Clone Wars TV show. I think my decision now is going to be to launch directly into ROTS for his first full SW movie after CW. From his perspective, he knows Darth Vader through toys, coloring books, and a few select OT scenes, but he has absolutely not made the connection to Anakin.

Having now watched a decent clip of CW myself, it really changes the perspective of Order 66. It was a bit hollow in the movies to see clones (stromtroopers in my head) turn on the Jedi, but I don't think my kid will feel the same way when he sees it. With Clone Wars, I think my kid will have enough of the back story and really like Anakin and maybe even the clone troops... and, then, it will all be ripped away with a massive heel turn. This should be a pretty fun little journey for the two of us to share. Now, how will I explain the jobber-level stormtroopers in Episode IV?
TCTTS
AG
Pretty funny...

TCTTS
AG
wangus12
AG
quote:
This is another one of those kids / Star Wars posts, so you've been warned if you don't give a damn about such things.

So, I have shown my oldest (just under 4) bits and pieces of the original trilogy, but he has not watched an entire movie. Outside of that, he's watched some of the droids (LEGO) material but no spoilers past the Clone Wars from that show yet. Based on a recommendation here, we have watched the Clone Wars movie and have started in on the Clone Wars TV show. I think my decision now is going to be to launch directly into ROTS for his first full SW movie after CW. From his perspective, he knows Darth Vader through toys, coloring books, and a few select OT scenes, but he has absolutely not made the connection to Anakin.

Having now watched a decent clip of CW myself, it really changes the perspective of Order 66. It was a bit hollow in the movies to see clones (stromtroopers in my head) turn on the Jedi, but I don't think my kid will feel the same way when he sees it. With Clone Wars, I think my kid will have enough of the back story and really like Anakin and maybe even the clone troops... and, then, it will all be ripped away with a massive heel turn. This should be a pretty fun little journey for the two of us to share. Now, how will I explain the jobber-level stormtroopers in Episode IV?

Are you trying to crush his soul.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's interesting to see how kids react to these things as they're coming in from an entirely different perspective. In his world, the clonetroopers are the good guys, Anakin is the ultimate good guy, and Darth Vader is the ultimate bad guy.

It's going to blow his little world wide open when he learns they're the same person and the "good guys" are really the bad guys.
AliasMan02
AG
The only thing that might ruin a great reveal would be the fact that when we first hear the name Darth Vader, it's not the character he'll know. Might be a little confusing.

Still, I'd video it if I were you.
The Collective
AG
Already through Clone Wars, he wants clarification on good guys and a bad guys when each new character is introduced. I admit that it kind of sucks on my part. I believe with Anakin, I said "he is good guy in this show". He didn't pick-up on my disclaimer, but it was enough to free my conscience.

As for Vader, I'm not sure if he will be confused or not. I'm still trying to figure out how to meander into that one, as I'm not sure if I want my 4 year old to see Vader's near demise in ROTS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

AliasMan02
AG
He also murders lots of children.

I'm sorry... younglings.
The Collective
AG
quote:
He also murders lots of children.

I'm sorry... younglings.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And he was a good friend.
jr15aggie
AG
Just watched the new TV spot again... pretty sure that is Kylo's ship that is blowing away the castle that you see crumbling (you can see his wing coming out on that one side for a split second).

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the most fun I've had at the movies in a really really long time!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-lucas-on-why-he-is-done-directing-star-wars/

Not really sure what Lucas is trying to get at here.
quote:
"The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans,'" Lucas said. "People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems - it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, 'fine.... I'll go my way and I let them go their way.'"
What stories did Disney not want to use? He always said that the story was over after Jedi, so I'm curious why he's saying they didn't want to use his stories.

And why is he assuming that they didn't want to use his stories because they didn't want to involve "family problems"? Seems to me this will be a major part of the new trilogy...
The Collective
AG
quote:
People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems - it's not about spaceships.

Who doesn't get this? So odd...
Texaggie7nine
quote:

quote:
"The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans,'" Lucas said. "People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems - it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, 'fine.... I'll go my way and I let them go their way.'"
What stories did Disney not want to use? He always said that the story was over after Jedi, so I'm curious why he's saying they didn't want to use his stories.

And why is he assuming that they didn't want to use his stories because they didn't want to involve "family problems"? Seems to me this will be a major part of the new trilogy...

George's plan was to continue the Skywalker lineage and make it about Anakins grandkids.
7nine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

From Marvel artist Phil Noto.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hence my confusion. Maybe he had those characters in his head and Disney wanted to create new ones, and that's what didn't sit right with him?

It's ultimately still a Skywalker story and JJ has confirmed as much, so this really makes no sense.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

quote:

Straight up rationalization.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
it's not about spaceships.

Whatever you say, fatass.

TCTTS
AG
Lucas had an entire outline for Episodes 7, 8, and 9 that came with the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney. He gave it to Kathleen Kennedy, and that's what she initially set out to develop. This hasn't been stated publicly, but I'm betting that's what Michael Arndt initially tried to develop, it wasn't working, and that's essentially when Abrams and Kasdan took over, basically starting from scratch, but retaining some of Arndt's ideas (hence Arndt still getting a screenplay credit on the final film).
TCTTS
AG

quote:
When George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney, he gave them outlines for three new Star Wars sequels but his ideas apparently ended up in the trash compactor. Vanity Fair's new cover story on Star Wars: The Force Awakens notes that Star Wars creator Lucas had his own vision for episodes VII, VIII, and IX, which take place decades after the original Star Wars trilogy.

"We've made some departures [from Lucas's ideas]," producer Kathleen Kennedy told the magazine, but only in "exactly the way you would in any development process."

According to Vanity Fair, Lucas's story for the sequels focused on teenagers in the Star Wars universe. The article speculates that the reason Disney was wary was those young characters might have given studio executives bad flashbacks to 1999's prequel The Phantom Menace, with its 9-year-old protagonist Anakin (Jake Lloyd) and 14-year-old princess Amidala (Natalie Portman). To his credit, however, Lucas included the original trilogy's protagonists in his storyline and he's the one who initially approached Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill about returning for the sequels.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/george-lucas-vanity-fair-star-wars-118450918192.html
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Hence my confusion. Maybe he had those characters in his head and Disney wanted to create new ones, and that's what didn't sit right with him?

It's ultimately still a Skywalker story and JJ has confirmed as much, so this really makes no sense.

Did you see the JJ Q&A I posted awhile back? George pops up and asks JJ "what happened to Darth Vader's grandkids?" and JJ just kind of brushes the question off. Seemed obvious that George was jokingly poking at the fact that JJ went another direction than George wanted and didn't make it about Luke or Leias kids.
7nine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Does this thread make it to 10K before the premiere?

According to Muck, we're averaging a page every 11 hours, which comes out to 3.18 posts/hour.

Right now we're ~620 posts short of 10k.

At the current rate, we'll reach 10k posts in 194 hours, or 8 days.
The Collective
AG
But, we assume there is an Anakin grandkid involved, but, hell maybe there isn't and we've been trolled on and off for the past year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, all signs point to it being about his grandchildren.
Texaggie7nine
I don't think it is.
7nine
The Collective
AG
This is from last month:

quote:
While conducting what looked to be a fairly routine interview with Costco Connection, executive producer and Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy seemed to confirm something fans have heavily speculated about. While distinguishing between the episodic 'Saga' movies and the upcoming 'Anthology' films, she stated, "The Saga films focus on the Skywalker family saga. The stories follow a linear narrative that connects to the previous six filmsThe Force Awakens follows Return Of The Jedi and continues that generational story."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It would be a hell of a lot of misdirection.
bangobango
AG
Eh, listen to the interview. It doesn't come across all butt-hurt the same way as it does in print. He was basically asked why he isn't involved with production at all and this is his answer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It is cool that Lucas was the one that initially spoke to Harrison, Carrie, and Mark though.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
From that JJ and George Lucas question thing about the grandkids, What I get is that everyone knows it IS about the grandkids, but that JJ may not have taken it the same direction as George. I think it has been pretty much confirmed one of the new stars is a skywalker grandkid. They big reveal potentially is 2 of them are grandkids and how did they get where they are.
The Collective
AG
So, I noticed that TFA is showing at the Omni in Fort Worth, which is a dome, curved imax screen. Any idea what the movie would be like on this format? Would it only show on the middle part of the screen for much of the movie?

AliasMan02
AG
I'll be eager to know how this goes, as I'll have some time to kill in DFW over Christmas
Texaggie7nine
I saw Ep 2 on the curved dome IMAX at Huntsville AL NASA. It really annoyed me because there was just no way to see the whole screen all at once. It required a bit of head turning.
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 268 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.