Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,648 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Were the tree(s) fertilized with the ashes of Anakin Skywalker?

This could be "The Search for Spock" bad...
Yes, they are on Endor.

The final battle will be the Ewoks with help of Luke, Han, Leia, Finn, Poe, and Rey against Kylo and the empire. The Ewoks have been protecting the tree for so long that they now have force powers and wield brown lightsabers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
EA's Star Wars Battlefront Trailer

Fantastic. My favorite comment on that video: "I'M DROWNING IN A SEA OF MY OWN CUM SEND HELP"
AliasMan02
AG
I think y'all are overreacting. Very unlikely the trees play into the plot of TFA. Just a Maguffin for use in the comic arc. We may see the tree, but that will just be a little nod to the hardcore fans.

Worst case, a Force sensitive character remarks about the tree or the area where the tree is as being strong in the Force. Plenty of precedence for that.
TCTTS
AG
A Force tree giving off Force vibes or whatever is definitely leaning a bit too close to midichlorians territory.

That said, on the opposite end of the spectrum, the Force "choosing" someone can come across as a bit too hokey / new-agey / random.

I wish there was a nice middle ground. I would kind of sort like to know WHY the Force is stronger in certain people than it is others. But I want to know more from a Force perspective rather than a stupid midichlorian perspective, fi that makes sense. Like, why is the Force "choosing" Rey? That's interesting to me.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
I wish there was a nice middle ground. I would kind of sort like to know WHY the Force is stronger in certain people than it is others. But I want to know more from a Force perspective rather than a stupid midichlorian perspective, fi that makes sense. Like, why is the Force "choosing" Rey? That's interesting to me.

Meh, I really don't care to be honest. The Force picks you because.........well it just does.....it's one of the greatest mysteries in the galaxy. I'm cool with that. Now get back to AT-AT's, TIE fighters, x-wings, blasters, stormtroopers, droids, aliens, and epic battles.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
in a couple of months i think we'll all look and laugh that we were worried about a Force tree.

That being said, Grand Admiral Thrawn made trees into one of the best weapons of all time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It'd be cool if force sensitivity was only acquired through training and discipline, like Obi-Wan and Yoda teaching Luke. But also some people are just naturally stronger in it than others, and no need to explain it further.

If it's JUST midichlorians or JUST "being chosen" by the force, then they're both too arbitrary.

IE: Leia is strong in the force due to her father, but because she's never been properly trained, she's not nearly as powerful as Luke.

By the same token, Finn may not come from a "force-user" family, but he can train and be a serviceable Jedi.
Keegan99
AG
So you're saying Finn is just a game manager Jedi?
mazag08
AG
quote:
in a couple of months i think we'll all look and laugh that we were worried about a Force tree.

That being said, Grand Admiral Thrawn made trees into one of the best weapons of all time.

Still holding out hope that Thrawn is in this trilogy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AcctAg11
AG
I actually like the Tree idea.

I think its important to note that the significance of the tree is that it was at the Jedi temple, likely for a long time. I don't take it as being a certain type of tree is more force sensitive than others, but rather just this specific tree. Its a living thing that lived a long time being surrounded by most of the Jedi in the galaxy. It likely absorbed a lot of the surrounding force (which was probably pretty dense, as far as Force concentration around the galaxy goes), and likely now results in making the surrounding area a little more Force-dense, which the resulting exposure could add up over time to make someone more force sensitive than they would have been. Poe would still need training in the force in order to reach his potential, but being force sensitive, as a result of his long-time proximity to the tree (just as the tree was to the proximity of the Jedi) is a start on that path.

And I don't take it as meaning the tree was the only way to become Force Sensitive, or even a way most people became so.

Way better than arbitrary number of midichlorians, in my opinion. But I doubt its going to be a big plot point of the movie. Likely, it just provides an explanation for Poe's Force sensitivity.

AcctAg11
AG
quote:
quote:

Still holding out hope that Thrawn is in this trilogy.
The only EU experience I had (outside of some of the games) was reading the Admiral Thrawn Trilogy. Loved it. I would love to see him play some kind of role in the coming movies. He was a great character and offered a great, alternative type of enemy to the Sith. It doesn't look like thats the way they are going, though.
The Collective
AG
I hope Kylo is in possession of the force rock that Luke lifted on Dagobah.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It really needs to be December already.
AliasMan02
AG
In Aftermath, we get a glimpse of who is running the Imperial show post-Endor. Just a glimpse, and almost certainly not Thrawn, but perhaps similar.

Whether this Imperial officer is still in play in TFA is unknown, of course. There are some dots you can connect about his role and fate in TFA from what we know, however, despite not even knowing his name, but I won't get into that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
That was for Fantastic 4 right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BoxOffice.com put out their official predictions for Force Awakens. $215M opening weekend, $762M total. We shall see.

I think the opening weekend will be pretty close, give or take ~$10M. Total, I feel like it'll really depend on the rewatchability factor, word of mouth, and getting non-geeks to go to the theater (this is where I think Jurassic World really succeeded).

If it doesn't have all that going for it, it's gonna be tough to make it to $760M. (If it does, it might break $800M.) Going on record with a $725M prediction.
Knife_Party
I assume that's domestic and not international?
WALTON LOADS!
AG
I didn't see this posted on here but thought it was an interesting read

Theory That Luke Turned At the End of Jedi
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

This somewhat applies to what we were posting on last night. I don't think Luke will be a dark Jedi, but rather will be more of a grey Jedi.
RebAg13
AG
Luke needs to be at least Grey. Would really fit with Empire Strikes back.
Idk3
AG
Question 1 - Why have they put out that Poe was born next to this tree in his little bio? How would they know that to give a bio? Isn't that basically an unneeded spoiler? I guess it is just like them telling us there is a Knights of Ren.

Question 2 - I guess my bigger question is are there SW materials (books, comics, etc) that already have all the main characters from TFA? Obviously not talking about Leia, Han, Chewie, Luke, etc, but Kylo, Poe, Finn, etc?

I guess I wish I only knew back story of these new characters if there was material already with them in it. Does that make sense?
TCTTS
AG
From my understanding, Poe is never mentioned by name in these comics. Two of the characters who are married simply share the same last name and have a son, which everyone is fairly certain is Poe based on interviews and what not. It's all a bunch of alluding and nodding.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Forgot to mention on my countdown post - we are exactly at the halfway point between Force Friday and The Force Awakens.
Duncan Idaho
So season 4 episodes 21 and 22 of the clone wars......are you ****ing kidding me
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
So season 4 episodes 21 and 22 of the clone wars......are you ****ing kidding me
I understand why you say this, I really do. However, I think once you get to the Mandalore arc in season 5 you may have a slightly different opinion.
Duncan Idaho
I don't believe you
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Organa vs. Fett! Fett vs. Sarlaac! Solo vs. Vader! Skywalker vs. Palpy!

jabberwalkie09
AG
There's..... Some unfinished business someone has to attend to. I don't want to spoil too much though.
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:

This somewhat applies to what we were posting on last night. I don't think Luke will be a dark Jedi, but rather will be more of a grey Jedi.
A couple of things I don't really ever seen mentioned a ton. (granted I don't go out of my way to partake)

Luke did some pretty dark stuff, choking guards and whatnot. Yea, at the end he decided not to turn, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be tempted again. He has no one to teach him. On top of that, he has now felt, through the force, 2 Death Stars die..thats a lot of death's to have on your head for a kid.
I believe he will have already thought he coudl handle the dark side techniques, failed, and gone into hiding out of shame.

Why else would Han be making a statement along the lines of "it's all real, jedi, the dark side" if Luke was out and about doing things?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:

Why else would Han be making a statement along the lines of "it's all real, jedi, the dark side" if Luke was out and about doing things?

He probably doesn't make that statement, that line is cobbled together for the trailer.
AliasMan02
AG
I think it's safe to assume that the Jedi haven't been heard from in Rey/Finn's lifetime.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

quote:

He probably doesn't make that statement, that line is cobbled together for the trailer.

Agree. I think what Rey is actually asking about is the Battle of Jakku.
First Page Last Page
Page 237 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.