Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,864 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RebAg13
AG
Re-watching the originals it does make sense more that Luke turns to the dark side
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Re-watching the originals it does make sense more that Luke turns to the dark side

So the dark side has 2 powerful jedi vs 1 untrained girl? Ok.....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How so? He literally had Vader on the ground ready to kill him and he refused. "I'll never turn to the dark side."
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
How so? He literally had Vader on the ground ready to kill him and he refused. "I'll never turn to the dark side."
Ask yourself this: If it hadn't been Vader that he was about to strike down and kill, would Luke have stopped? Or would Luke have given into his rage and hatred to defeat his foe?
AliasMan02
AG
Always clear to me that Luke was very nearly taken by the Dark Side in Empire and walked a dangerous line right up until the confrontation with Vader in Jedi when it all boiled over. Ultimately I agree that Vader/Anakin basically saved him, just because of who he was. If it was Mara Jade or an Inquisitor or Galen Marek or some other dark apprentice instead of his own father, I think Luke definitely falls.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Probably not, especially if he still thought Vader killed his father. But I don't think that necessarily puts him on a path to the dark side. Mace Windu was seconds from killing Palps.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Probably not, especially if he still thought Vader killed his father. But I don't think that necessarily puts him on a path to the dark side. Mace Windu was seconds from killing Palps.
Killing is one thing. Vengeance and rage is another. A Jedi killing in a fit of passion is exposed to the full brunt of the Dark Side. Tough to walk away from that unscathed.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Killing is one thing. Vengeance and rage is another. A Jedi killing in a fit of passion is exposed to the full brunt of the Dark Side. Tough to walk away from that unscathed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well damn.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Listening to Kevin Smith's Hollywood Babble On podcast from Monday. Seems he saw a significant portion of the movie, and he doesn't give specifics, but he is showering the film with praise.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/10/kevin-smith-has-seen-a-chunk-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens-and-says-it-took-him-back-to-1977.html

quote:
"There's a lot of hope out there," he continued. "But there's still that cynical edge that's still leaning forward in their seats and saying, 'could it be? Did he do it?' And I ****ing promise you as I hold back the tears he beyond ****ing did it."
Everyone knows he's a fanboy though, so take it for what it's worth.
TCTTS
AG
What Does That Tree in 'Shattered Empire' Mean for 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mentioned it a few pages back but, bears repeating -- if they use those "force trees" as a source of force power/sensitivity for new characters going forward, that will be worse than midichlorians, imo. It makes it completely arbitrary.

Poe growing up on Yavin IV is pretty cool though.
Texaggie7nine
Do you lose midichlorians every time you fart?
7nine
powerbelly
AG

quote:
if they use those "force trees" as a source of force power/sensitivity for new characters going forward, that will be worse than midichlorians, imo.
No question.
The Collective
AG
quote:
force trees

Dafuq is this?
COOL LASER FALCON
Force trees sounds pretty dumb, but it's a lot more in line with the way the force was described in Star Wars than midichlorians.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No it's not. The force was described as being everywhere and binding everything together. Doesn't explain how a tree being "strong" in the force can make someone more force sensitive.
COOL LASER FALCON
It's also described as "an energy field created by all living things." Someone harnessing that power from a tree makes more sense than some quantifiable disposition. It's just more in line with the spiritual/ religious description from Star Wars than the super power description from Episode 1.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree to disagree. Someone being force sensitive because they grew up near the tree seems dumber to me. Hopefully that's not the direction they're heading.
mazag08
AG
It's straight out of Avatar and it's stupid.
COOL LASER FALCON
And now that I actually read that article, that is pretty bad.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Iirc, TCW mentioned well springs of the living force in yoda's arc in season six. If these trees are some way linked to the well springs as a sort of reservoir, I can't imagine this being too well received or understood by the masses. But with all that said, I can see this being central to the plot, and to locating Luke....
The Collective
AG
Were the tree(s) fertilized with the ashes of Anakin Skywalker?

This could be "The Search for Spock" bad...
mazag08
AG
quote:
Were the tree(s) fertilized with the ashes of Anakin Skywalker?

This could be "The Search for Spock" bad...
Yes, they are on Endor.

The final battle will be the Ewoks with help of Luke, Han, Leia, Finn, Poe, and Rey against Kylo and the empire. The Ewoks have been protecting the tree for so long that they now have force powers and wield brown lightsabers.
mazag08
AG
I also heard that Kyler Ren cussed out Luke during training. That's why he transferred to the dark side. The knights of Ren are all of his Texags followers.
Urban Ag
AG
Don't quit your day job
twilly
AG
EA's Star Wars Battlefront Trailer
Urban Ag
AG
Holy crap that looks amazing. And I don't do video games. I'll buy it for my kids and see if they can teach me how to use all the buttons on them new fangled controllers
wangus12
AG
That's awesome!
R0GUE
AG
I don't mind the Trees. It makes sense that certain historical objects would be sort of "soaked" in the Force. Like when Leia walks into the chamber where Qui-Gon and Maul fought and she gets a memory blast. I think it's because that chamber is so "soaked in the Force" because of the event that happened there was so important it overwhelmed her senses. To me the Force is like a web or a net that exists over everything, but I can imagine there are locations or objects where the web intersects more and it kind of coats that area or thing. I think what I hated about midichlorians is not so much the idea or concept of someone or something being stronger in the Force, but rather giving it a stupid pseudo-scientific name.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Why can't you just be "force sensitive" or "extremely force sensitive" instead of having a REASON they are force sensitive. I.e. midichlorians getting busy with your mom, or your dad deciding to live too close to a tree.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Sounds too much like Avatar
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Why can't you just be "force sensitive" or "extremely force sensitive" instead of having a REASON they are force sensitive. I.e. midichlorians getting busy with your mom, or your dad deciding to live too close to a tree.
I think that you can, but the living near an area where the Force is strong is just one possible way to get some Force vibes. I don't see why there can't be multiple ways to become strong in the Force.

As for "too much like Avatar", not everything about Avatar was terrible. Plus, it's not like Poe had a tendril he was using to bond with the tree or anything. And in my mind it didn't have to be a tree. It could have been a Light Saber crystal or a statue of the first Jedi.
First Page Last Page
Page 236 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.