Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,548 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 54 min ago by TCTTS
Aggie_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/someone_fixed_the_new_star_wars_trailer_by_adding_jar_jar_binks_into_every
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/26/star-wars-the-force-awakens-jj-abrams-average-fan
quote:
According to the cinema marketing data firm Movio Media, the average purchaser of an advance ticket for JJ Abrams's space opera in the US is a 34-year-old male. And 70% of ticket holders are men between the ages of 18 and 49. According to Movio Media, the average advance ticket holder is a regular cinemagoer who usually travels to see big-budget fantasies such as Jurassic World or Avengers: Age of Ultron on opening night, and spends 2.6 times more than the national average amount on watching movies.

What a nice way to say it's all fanboys and manchildren, lol.
jr15aggie
AG
Interesting sats! They need to recognize this thing didn't break records because of fanboys... its because they got the "other" people off their butts to get tickets.

I have not bought tickets online in years and I have never bought tickets before a movie is even out! I typically wait a week to see most major releases cause I'm not interested in fighting the crowds. But there I was last week hitting F5 doing my best to get advanced tickets opening night. I couldn't get reserved seat tickets (only platinum members to that theater got early access... jerks!), so I'm at the theater a few miles from my place. I'll be doing the get in line a few hours ahead of time just to get a good seat trick... because I got the first Thursday showing at 7:00!!! I'm there!!!!
powerbelly
AG
I think the stats show the opposite. Fan boys are driving the early ticket sales.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The early sales are definitely mostly fanboys. But they should probably consider the fact that many fanboys will not only be seeing it multiple times, they'll be bringing the wife and kids, maybe the parents, etc.

And I definitely don't subscribe to the theory that they need a "romance" factor for the women in order to beat Avatar. Sure, it's mainly a male-driven series, but you could say Titanic was mainly female-driven but it still got plently of men in the theaters.
The Collective
AG
quote:
but you could say Titanic was mainly female-driven that still got plently of men in the theaters.

Because we were trying to get women to have sex with us... or in the case of my middle school self, second base, whatever that is!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was still a kid but the boobs definitely got me more interested.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting. Apparently the lastest blu-ray release has removed the episode numbers of the films.

I wonder if Disney is trying to do away with them altogether. I bet JJ is trying to distance the series from the prequels as much as possible. This might've been his suggestion.

I'm not totally against it as long as they leave them in the crawl. There have been enough changes.
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/26/star-wars-the-force-awakens-jj-abrams-average-fan
quote:
According to the cinema marketing data firm Movio Media, the average purchaser of an advance ticket for JJ Abrams's space opera in the US is a 34-year-old male. And 70% of ticket holders are men between the ages of 18 and 49. According to Movio Media, the average advance ticket holder is a regular cinemagoer who usually travels to see big-budget fantasies such as Jurassic World or Avengers: Age of Ultron on opening night, and spends 2.6 times more than the national average amount on watching movies.

What a nice way to say it's all fanboys and manchildren, lol.

I'm 39, and have not been to the theatre since 2011.
The Collective
AG
Hope the prequels are a distant memory like Caravan of Courage by the time Disney is done.
The Collective
AG
So, while we are in a long lull, what are some Star Wars toys that my son might want for Christmas? I am 32... I mean, he turns 4 the week before Christmas.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't go wrong with a lightsaber.
twilly
AG
powerbelly
AG
I am a huge fan of the legos, but I don't know if he would be too young.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

quote:
8 edits
Lol, wtf happened?
The Collective
AG
quote:
I am a huge fan of the legos, but I don't know if he would be too young.

He is a little young. He still uses the junior ones, and I don't think he's ready for the jump just yet. I did search on Amazon and came up with the Super Star Destroyer with over 3000 pieces & for $1,390. Whoa...
The Collective
AG
quote:
Lol, wtf happened?

This gif maybe?
TCTTS
AG
It's not about distancing themselves from the prequels as much as it's about planning for the films going forward. "Star Wars Episode Thirteen" sounds pretty dumb, so they might as well get people used to no numbers as early as possible.
twilly
AG
quote:

quote:
8 edits
Lol, wtf happened?
YouTube decided to upchuck on me.
The Collective
AG
9 is my limit. In my original Star Wars world, there were always rumors and whispers of prequels and another trilogy following ROTJ. I can't fathom extending the universe beyond that. I know it will, and I know it has. But, I'm just stating that is my limit.
wangus12
AG
But Jason X was such a cool title
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Possible. But I sort of doubt they're thinking that far head to beyond Episode IX. More about being in line with the OT and having just the title, ie The Empire Strikes Back, The Force Awakens.

IMO.
WestAustinAg
AG
First post - i think the soundtrack of the trailer borrows from the soundtrack of the trailer for Interstellar. Maybe that was already pointed out.

Haunted, quiet beginning...wall of sound with deep basis as it builds to a crescendo. I can admit that the music, for some reason, immediately gave me hope that this movie would be a serious effort. In fact I hope they borrow some of the unbelievable cinematic efforts of that movie (worm hole, black hole, emptiness/light of space, etc.

Sure make it a great movie about the Star Wars story arc but give me some Instellar-like cinematography and soundtrack.
Malachi Constant
AG
I think that is a trend with movie scores this day and age. Honestly, it reminded my almost exactly of the music in the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises.

And I agree on Interstellar. I think they can be slightly more realistic/gritty, but not at the expense of the "Star Wars tone"

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What if the new superweapon, instead of supernova-ing stars, sucks them into a black hole?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And regarding the music -- I LOVED it also, but I posted an article about how it was made specifically for the trailer. It's not John Williams' work, and it's not from the movie itself.
TheDoctor
AG
quote:
Was this posted?

Outstanding.
The Collective
AG
quote:
I think that is a trend with movie scores this day and age. Honestly, it reminded my almost exactly of the music in the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises.

And I agree on Interstellar. I think they can be slightly more realistic/gritty, but not at the expense of the "Star Wars tone"

That trailer from TDKR makes me appreciate how little dialogue there has been in TFA trailers.
jr15aggie
AG
From the very depressed Aggie Football board!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd signed up for a Fandango alert when tickets went on sale.

I just got it.

LOL
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

We are now closer to The Force Awakens than we are removed from the start of college football season.

GET HYPE
amercer
AG
Pretty sure this A&M season has been going on my whole life....
SeattleAgJr
The Collective
AG
Nien
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mah Nien Nunb
First Page Last Page
Page 235 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.