Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,717 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just for kicks.

O/U on:
Opening weekend - $210 million
Domestic - $700 million
Worldwide - $2.7 billion (Avatar)
Number of OT character deaths - 0.5
Number of Skywalker offspring - 1.5
Number of lens flares - 8.5
Number of pages on this thread on release day - 350

Post your overs and unders.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS
AG
Opening weekend - $210 million - OVER (at least $250M, with $300M legitimately in play)
Domestic - $700 million - OVER ($900M range)
Worldwide - $2.7 billion (Avatar) - OVER (first $3B movie in history)
Number of OT character deaths - 0.5 - OVER (There will be one, no question. MAYBE two.)
Number of Skywalker offspring - 1.5 - UNDER
Number of lens flares - 8.5 - OVER
Number of pages on this thread on release day - 350 - OVER (closer to 400)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
(There will be one, no question. MAYBE two.)
****. If that happens I will be a moist heap afterwards.

Also, interesting, you no longer think Ren and Kylo are both Skywalkers huh?
TCTTS
AG
Ha. It think Luke lives, but both Han and Leia are expendable. I could very well see a scenario where one of them dies, we think that's it, and then Abrams really pulls the gut punch on us.

Re: Rey and Kylo, I think one of them is a Solo and the other is a Skywalker. No way they're both Skywalkers. My money is on Rey being a Skywalker (though it's only hinted at here and not fully revealed until Episode VIII) and Kylo being a Solo.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS
AG
Chewy dying would almost be more devastating that seeing Han die. It'd be like watching your favorite pet die. That said, I think you're right. Though, if Han bites it, I think Chewy lives to protect Rey. That makes the most sense to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be clear, you think Kylo is Han's kid with another woman and not Leia, right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dp
TCTTS
AG
No, I think Han and Leia stick together after ROTJ, have Kylo, but then eventually break up. And Kylo is raised by only one of them. That said, if only one of them is his biological parent, it opens up a ton of cool possibilities for a mystery character to emerge in Episode VIII.
TCTTS
AG
Oooh... what if Leia is Kylo's biological mother, but Benecio del Toro's character in Episode VIII ends up being his biological father?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting on being Leia and someone else's kid.

Also Leia's children count as Skywalkers. I mean they have the midichlorians.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Opening weekend - $500 million (everyone loves it and goes to see it 3 times)
Domestic - $1.138 billion
Worldwide - $94 billlion
Number of OT character deaths - 11 (Nien Nunb, R5-D4, FX-7, Hobbie, Lobot, the Sarlaac, Yak Face, Dengar, 4LOM, the one-armed Wampa, the stormtrooper who says, "Look sir, Droids!")
Number of Skywalker offspring - 16 - Han and Leia wait to have kids, then they struggle with it, they both take fertility meds without telling the other and wind up with octuplets; meanwhile Luke gets jaded and starts hanging out at cantinas, telling women he can "perform a midichlorian count" on them back at the "Jedi Temple", which turns out to be the back of his old landspeeder."
Number of lens flares - 50, all during the credits
Number of pages on this thread on release day - 600
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
You can watch TFA tomorrow, except you have to sit through a 12 marathon of the Holiday Special in the theater first, with only one 30 minute break.

What do you do?
i'd kill you with a Gaffi stick and bury your lifeless corpse in the Dune Sea to watch it tomorrow.
But then I don't get to see it.
Your ghost can float over to Lucasfilm and see it as many times as you want.
whiskey02
AG
Just noticed Wikipedia says this thing has a 136 minute run time. I would have guessed closer to 2 and a half hours.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
Guys. We've added 26 pages to this thread since Monday....

The bigger question... has anybody seen the new trailer more than 26 times!?

I'm pretty sure I have. I probably watched it 6+ times just showing my wife and kids (my boy watched it more than once too!). Yeah, pretty sure I've definitely seen it 26 times at least.
I watched it 11 times the night it came out and probably 20 times on Tuesday and Wednesday. Today I have not watched it because I had to go on-site to do a job, and they probably wouldn't have been that cool with it - what a bunch of lamewads.
mazag08
AG
I'm going to post some speculation.. if you dont want to read it..

Dont read past here

What if Finn has nothing to fight for because the system they blow up consisted of his home planet? The horrific thing he witnesses is everything he knows and loves being destroyed, so he bails.
SeattleAgJr
bangobango
AG
quote:
Oooh... what if Leia is Kylo's biological mother, but Benecio del Toro's character in Episode VIII ends up being his biological father?

That would be terrible.

Why do y'all think everybody is related? Because they had that plot twist in the first three?

Some of you seem to think they're going to just remake the first movie with just different characters. I think that would be cheesy and hope they don't do that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well Kylo would appear to have some ability to use the force, and it's not like the galaxy is full of force users in the OT.
AliasMan02
AG
Back to the hype, one thing that bumps this up is that now you have basically three generations of star wars fans. Star wars is also way more mainstream than it was back when TPM came out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Star wars is also way more mainstream than it was back when TPM came out.
Forgot to mention this in my argument, but I would agree. Star Wars has permeated the culture a lot more between 99-15 than in 83-99.

Just my opinion, but do y'all disagree? This generation has had video games, novels, comics, animated series, etc.

(This is not to say the cultural impact of Star Wars during the PT compares to the OT. I'm sure it was a LOT crazier in 77-83.)
InnerCityAg
quote:
quote:

That would be terrible.

Why do y'all think everybody is related? Because they had that plot twist in the first three?

Some of you seem to think they're going to just remake the first movie with just different characters. I think that would be cheesy and hope they don't do that.

Come on, brah. Didn't pay attention when they explained midichlorians???
Duncan Idaho
Why didn't we get this movie?

Mr. White
On the committing suicide scale, how close did Ahmed Best get? 1-10? Hopefully a 1, but I'd bet not.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:

I don't think everyone is related. But since I believe it has been stated that Star Wars is the story of the skywalkers, ONE of the new cast is a skywalker, be it luke or leia's kids. I believe that is pretty much assured. Which one is unknown. But I think some of us are so skeptical of all the "twists" from Abrams, Star Wars, Hollywood in general that there could be two of them in this movie, but I do think the second one may not be revealed until next movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

bangobango
AG
I was eighteen when TPM came out. Don't think this one is getting as much hype as TPM.

I think with TPM, nobody really considered that it could suck. Everyone just assumed it and the rest of them would be awesome. I think people are a little more Leary now, though I am very confident this one will be much better.
Texaggie7nine
But little kids loved TPM, as was designed. It got the job done that it was intended to do.
7nine
amercer
AG
I bet all the new characters are clones.
First Page Last Page
Page 230 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.