Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,028 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
But little kids loved TPM, as was designed. It got the job done that it was intended to do.

And I think that was a penny wise , pound foolish decision on lucas's part.

It would have had a longer and fatter tail for merchandising if they had targeted the 18-35 demographic
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
But little kids loved TPM, as was designed. It got the job done that it was intended to do.

It would have had a longer and fatter tail for merchandising if they had targeted the 18-35 demographic
too old. 8+.

TPM targetted 2-4 year olds.
Texaggie7nine
I was around 4 when ROTJ came out and probably saw it around 5 or 6 as my first starwars movie. I loved that movie more than 4 and 5 times a million and my older brother always pissed me off by saying ep 5 was way better.

As I got into my teens I appreciated 4 and 5 way more but ROTJ sold me as a life long Star Wars fan. TPM did the same with a new generation.

I don't think I ever played with my star wars figures without utilizing many ewoks. I loved the **** out of the ewoks then.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
quote:

too old. 8+.

TPM targetted 2-4 year olds.
I took my nephew and niece were were around 8 and 10 at the time and they loved Jar Jar more than any other character. All their friends felt the same.
7nine
mazag08
AG
I was 13 when TPM came out.

I remember the hype.

But this one has a different kind of hype. This has a cautious and patient type of hype.

I expect that by the time December 1 rolls around you will notice a LOT more angst.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
I was eighteen when TPM came out. Don't think this one is getting as much hype as TPM.

I think with TPM, nobody really considered that it could suck. Everyone just assumed it and the rest of them would be awesome. I think people are a little more Leary now, though I am very confident this one will be much better.
I agree. Phantom Menace was everywhere, even without the internet being what it is today. No facebook, no twitter, no smartphones, but still you couldn't escape it. Part of the hype was probably just due to the fact that they were actually making new Star Wars movies. We had heard rumors of three stories before and 3 after but never in a million years did we think they would ever get made.

There is obviously a lot of hype for this movie but I think it has been pretty avoidable. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't know anything about the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TPM is really enjoyable for me every time. Podrace > Endor speeder chase. Battle of Naboo > Ewoks.

Now the space battle and everything happening in Palps' throne room is top notch stuff. The Maul fight is pretty damn good too, though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry, bro. Remove the nostalgia goggles.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Original TPM Yoda puppet does suck, though.
powerbelly
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Just audio from the trailer, elevated so you don't even notice the dips where the dialogue is. Pretty stirring!

Duncan Idaho
quote:
TPM is really enjoyable for me every time. Podrace > Endor speeder chase. Battle of Naboo > Ewoks.

Now the space battle and everything happening in Palps' throne room is top notch stuff. The Maul fight is pretty damn good too, though.

You have worse taste than anyone still watching the bastred executioner
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I'd rather listen to the end credits music of Return of the Jedi than watch CGI droids fight CGI Gungans on CGI grass. WIth the exception of Utapau, every big land battle in the PT was 2 giant forces run at each other across flat surface.

Gungans/Droids
Jedi/Droids in the arena - the most wasted opportunity in the entire PT, and that's saying a lot.
Wookiees/Droids

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tell me where I'm wrong.

ROTJ is overall the better movie. Jabba's palace is a better opening than TPM's. And the space battle / Deat Star II scenes were the ****. But let's not pretend it's a perfect movie.

Come at me, you poodoos.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd rather listen to Duel of the Fates than watch Ewoks fight.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
I'd rather listen to the end credits music of Return of the Jedi than watch CGI droids fight CGI Gungans on CGI grass. WIth the exception of Utapau, every big land battle in the PT was 2 giant forces run at each other across flat surface.

Gungans/Droids
Jedi/Droids in the arena - the most wasted opportunity in the entire PT, and that's saying a lot.
Wookiees/Droids

watching that naboo fight is like watching my 5yr old play a video game on the phone.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'd rather listen to Duel of the Fates than watch Ewoks fight.
But ROTJ has Chewie doing his Tarzan impersonation swinging to the top of the AT-ST like a boss. Your argument is invalid.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Tell me where I'm wrong.

ROTJ is overall the better movie. Jabba's palace is a better opening than TPM's. And the space battle / Deat Star II scenes were the ****. But let's not pretend it's a perfect movie.

Come at me, you poodoos.
Tell me what's good about the Battle of Naboo other than the lightsaber fight. Make an argument about how the Queen, Panaka and 3 other guys vs. random droids and Nute Gunray, or the Gungans vs. the Droids on the grassy plains are good scenes. And tell me how Anakin bumbling his way to blowing up the control ship with the able help of Ric Olie is a good scene.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm specifically comparing the gungans/droids vs the ewoks/empire. Not the overall climaxes, which as I said, ROTJ wins.

Neither is very good. But hard as it is to admit, it is much easier to buy into the Gungans fighting the droids than a bunch of teddy bears routing the empire's best troops.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Tell me where I'm wrong.

Come at me, you poodoos.

You will never hear me defend jedi. I thought it was lazy.

But the speeder bikes were a lot more engaging g and have held up better over time than the pod race.

The pod race was way too long, kind of boring and continues to look worse and worse over time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Podrace was really well done, if you can past the somewhat dated cgi and cheesy dialogue.

It's a master class in sound editing and design, for one thing.
AggieSouth06
quote:
TPM is really enjoyable for me every time

Seeing it at age 13, that movie made me -- a huge fan of SW as a kid -- give up on the series completely. Haven't seen another prequel and haven't seen the originals since then. That's literally the worst indictment of a movie I can imagine.

To answer your "why are you on this thread?" follow up question... This trailer got me interested in revisiting the originals. I asked about how to watch the old versions a few pages back.
jr15aggie
AG
At least all the spoiler Natzi's got their way... we are done talking about anything Ep VII and are back to nerd cock fights!!!!

Proceed gentlemen!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sounds like you weren't a big fan then.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Podrace was really well done, if you can past the somewhat dated cgi and cheesy dialogue.

So it was good because it sounded good but looks like cap and had horrible dialog and a terrible kid actor?

Dat don't make no sense.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

The thing i loathe more than anything about the podrace is that Anakin supposedly can race a pod because he is using the Force. Is there any part of that race where he's using the Force?

There were 2 huge opportunities in TPM to show Anakin using the Force - that and the starship fight at the end - and they didn't do jack.

I would have so loved to see him drawing on the Force in the podrace to "see things before they happen" - play the Force theme in the soundtrack - then cut to Qui-Gon sensing what's going on; then cut to Obi-Wan out on the Queen's ship sensing it; then cut to Maul searching the desert - and he looks up, sensing it too.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

I just wanted say that love this.
MSCAg
AG
To me, the biggest failing of the Prequeals was the different bad guy per movie.

Personally, I think Dooku should have been introduced in the 1st movie and presented as Palpatine. Maul probably could have lived and stayed as the big bad for the 2nd movie, only to be killed by Anakin in a fit of anger or something.

The big twist of the 2nd movie would be that Dooku isn't really Palpatine, but rather Palp's apprentice.

Or make Dooku the main bad guy instead of Maul since the 1st movie.

Either way, when Anakin killed Dooku in the 3rd movie, it was kind of like, so what. Dooku didn't even get screen time till the last third of the 2nd movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
There were 2 huge opportunities in TPM to show Anakin using the Force - that I would have so loved to see him drawing on the Force in the podrace to "see things before they happen" - play the Force theme in the soundtrack - then cut to Qui-Gon sensing what's going on; then cut to Obi-Wan out on the Queen's ship sensing it; then cut to Maul searching the desert - and he looks up, sensing it too.

Nice.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
To me, the biggest failing of the Prequeals was the different bad guy per movie.

IF they knew Dooku was going to be fallen Jedi masters at the beginning of the prequels, they should have had him on the Jedi Council in the first movie, agreeing to train Anakin, and disruptive to the whole "heads in the sand" ideals of the Council - those Council scenes are pitiful in retrospective. Nobody but Mace, Ki Adi, and Yoda even friggin talks!

Have Dooku blast the decisions of the Council regarding Anakin and pursuing the Sith, and then a scene after Qui-Gon's funeral when he tells Yoda he's resigning from the Council to pursue the second Sith.

Unfortunately, my punch list of scenes that could fix the prequels is about as long as the Kessel Run.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
There were 2 huge opportunities in TPM to show Anakin using the Force - that I would have so loved to see him drawing on the Force in the podrace to "see things before they happen" - play the Force theme in the soundtrack - then cut to Qui-Gon sensing what's going on; then cut to Obi-Wan out on the Queen's ship sensing it; then cut to Maul searching the desert - and he looks up, sensing it too.

Nice.
Yes, this would have been an improvement. And I say that as one who enjoyed the phantom menace.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Really good quality, ehanced shot of the Knights of Ren:

Notice the one on the far left. Does it look like his right arm IS the blaster?

Also, the guy in the back...
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Really good quality, ehanced shot of the Knights of Ren:

Notice the one on the far left. Does it look like his right arm IS the blaster?

Also, the guy in the back...

Yes it does.

I don't know if I like the guy with the baseball bat or the hella big sorority paddle the most!
jr15aggie
AG
Knights of Ren are these guys with better gear!!!

I wonder if Kylo is their leader because he has a lightsaber or because he can cast magic missle!?
First Page Last Page
Page 231 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.