Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,429 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was never confirmed that that was actually him. All we had to go by were blurry set photos that people thought looked like him. That said, I think it'd be cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Set photo that leaked. I think maybe that's venturing too close to spoilers, so I'll delete the post.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
And after skipping TCTTS' post and a few others, this where I bow out for spoilers. Y'all seem to be TRYING to figure out the plot of the movie in advance (after complaining that most trailers give too much stuff away). No complaints, but I'm out. Prefer to have everything (even opening scenes) be a surprise. Have fun!
This. I'm out.
Suit yourself, man. Nobody here actually knows anything though. (That I know of.)
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, at this point, what else are we supposed to talk about? No one knows a thing beyond the first act, which is all speculation, but I get wanting to know absolutely nothing.
MGS
New set photo from Episode VIII, confirming Hamill will be back

Duncan Idaho
quote:
Yeah, at this point, what else are we supposed to talk about? No one knows a thing beyond the first act, but I get wanting to know absolutely nothing.

We can compare reasons why mom mothma is an untrustworthy birch that has no business running a galactic republic

Or we could discuss some of the more silly plot lines from clone wars.

Or the importance of tax law and trade agreements in galactic commerce
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Set photo that leaked. I think maybe that's venturing too close to spoilers, so I'll delete the post.
Oh yeah... LOL... I totally forgot about that! But it wasn't him.

Very blurry photo of a guy with shoulder length hair that was sorta brown. Hair wasn't dark enough. That was also SUPER early and nobody knew anything back then. In those same drone photos they also spotted a blond chick with close crop hair and the speculation was it was Gwendoline Christie. All wrong... just extras.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

quote:
SOMETHING has to bring the First Order, Poe Dameron, & Han Chewy to Jakku and I really doubt it's just a Lightsaber.

Why are Han & Chewy there? It sure seems like the Falcon was also "gone" for a while ("we're home") but we know it's on Jakku as well. The Falcon wouldn't just be there unless they knew they would need it somebody.

I'm with you, but we still don't have proof that A) Han & Chewy are on Jakku, and B) that's them flying the Falcon on Jakku. Rumors way back when had Rey and Finn piloting the Falcon off world and then meeting Han and Chewy, but I think your version of events makes WAY more sense, and isn't as happenstance. That said, Poe will definitely be captured long before Han potentially saves Rey and Finn.
You are totally right. We don't actually have proof Han and Chewy are actually on Jakku. Maybe it's Poe that goes off to get the hidden Falcon while Finn goes looking for Rey.

I still like my version better... I'd love Han and Chewy to come get them and I'm holding out hope we get a glimpse of Luke early on, even if he is in the shadows the whole time. I don't think I'd prefer the movie to barely acknowledge him and then have a, "oh yeah, Luke Skywalker is totally here now" moment at the end.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
I'm holding out hope we get a glimpse of Luke early on, even if he is in the shadows the whole time. I don't think I'd prefer the movie to barely acknowledge him and then have a, "oh yeah, Luke Skywalker is totally here now" moment at the end.

Right there with on that. It's always felt weird that Luke would just show up toward the end, movie's suddenly over, then it's like Sorry! Guess you'll have to wait 'til Episode VIII to REALLY see him. Granted, that scenario still isn't far from what I'm expecting, but briefly using him to some capacity in the opening - even if cloaked the entire sequence and with no dialogue - just feels right. It's a nice balance, and definitely comes across as something Abrams would do, in a good way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Phasma is Luke.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Maybe the Falcon got tractor beamed into a hold of the super star destroyer at the Battle of Jakku and then it crashed and Rey finds it scavenging in there. Han and Chewie thought it was destroyed.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Maybe the Falcon got tractor beamed into a hold of the super star destroyer at the Battle of Jakku and then it crashed and Rey finds it scavenging in there. Han and Chewie thought it was destroyed.
I was actually thinking this as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's a music-only version of the trailer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/9HlyUSP7DE
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guys. We've added 26 pages to this thread since Monday....

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Guys. We've added 26 pages to this thread since Monday....

The bigger question... has anybody seen the new trailer more than 26 times!?

I'm pretty sure I have. I probably watched it 6+ times just showing my wife and kids (my boy watched it more than once too!). Yeah, pretty sure I've definitely seen it 26 times at least.
The Collective
AG
My son (3) asked me if he could watch the long version after the trailer was done.
Prime0882
AG
quote:
Rolling Stone Article About TPM Trailer Hype

So... the linked article discusses the hype generated when The Phantom Menace's trailer came out back in the day. I really don't remember getting as hyped by that trailer, especially after watching it again now, as compared to this one. What do y'all think.

Discuss!
jabberwalkie09
AG
Easily.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Too young to remember the hype to really compare, but I do remember loving the teaser poster and the podracer game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've probably seen it six times or so, but if you count reaction videos (of which I've seen many), it's probably 30+.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I've probably seen it six times or so, but if you count reaction videos (of which I've seen many), it's probably 30+.

I watched it twice.
Then showed it to my wife
Then showed it to each of my 6 classes at school.

So....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice. What grade/subject do you teach? General reactions?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

1 section of engineering design
5 sections of physics
dave94
AG
quote:
quote:

5 sections of physics
So you're saying it was a hit!
TCTTS
AG
I was 17 when The Phantom Menace trailer came out. And I can assure you, as hard as it is to believe, the hype for that trailer before the trailer hit was WAY more than with TFA, and same with the hype after. In our lifetime, we will never see hype like that for a movie or trailer ever again (though the TFA hype is the closest thing I've seen since).

Before TPM, there were like three or four big movie websites and that was it: Ain't It Cool News, Corona Coming Attractions, Dark Horizons, and maybe one other. But in the year or so build up to the TPM, all kinds of niche websites started to pop up, and "movie blogs" suddenly became a thing. Everyone and their dog wanted to start covering TPM, and that led to blogs covering every other big movie as well. Not only that, but before TPM, movie trailers weren't released online. The demand for that trailer - after it was released in theaters - was so overwhelming that Apple reached out to Lucasfilm and offered to host the trailer online. And thus, QuickTime was born. So right there, you have a trailer being the sole reason one of the most popular video players to this day is in existence.

I've told this story before, but there was a local newspaper reporter waiting outside of our showing of Enemy of the State, specifically asking people coming out of the theater if they were there to see the trailer. The concept of doing so was entirely new/crazy. I said yes (even though I loved Enemy of State and would have seen it regardless), but when the reporter asked my name, I gave her the name of one of our friends who wasn't with us - a guy who wanted nothing to do with Star Wars - and my friends played along, saying "I" was the biggest Star Wars nerd on the planet. Next day, our friend's name was the lead subject in a front-page article about Star Wars fans clamoring to see the trailer. He gives me sh*t for that to this day.

ANYWAY, in 1998, it had been 15 years since the last Star Wars movie (compared to the 10 now since the last one). The thirst was insatiable. Up until that point, there had only been one "brand" of Star Wars; the universally beloved OT. There weren't factions of OT lovers and prequel lovers/haters and fans of the cartoons, etc. And so people absolutely lost their minds for that first trailer. I have to admit, back then, it did look amazing. The glimpse of the pod race, Ewan McGregor as Kenobi, Darth Maul and his double-bladed lightsaber (people did not shut up about that thing for months), and even Watto - it all just made it look like the most bad ass Star Wars movie ever. You have to remember, this was before we knew that it dealt with trade taxation or that Maul was in it for only five minutes. Back then, watching that trailer without any context, the movie you imagined from it was just so incredibly cool. That, and it all seemed so fast and action packed. Just those glimpses of the light saber fights seemed so far and above the light saber fights in the OT, and that got people so jacked.

All that said, I agree wholeheartedly that TFA obviously looks infinitely better than TPM, and that these trailers blow the old ones out of the water. And like I said, not since 1999 have I seen hype like this after a trailer. But as massive as that hype is now, it still doesn't reach the level it did back then.
MSFC Aggie
AG
I agree with TCTTS. Hype for TPM was just as high, or more. After ROTJ, we all wanted more, but knew that was probably the end. When word came out that Lucas was doing 3 more....OMG.

This time around, my excitement is half "yes...more Star Wars!!!" and half "yes...Lucas isn't doing it"
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
What's the best way to legally watch I-VI online?
With or without paying for it?

I don't know about that. But my wife bought a 1-6 bluray/DVD pack, then sold the blurays in ebay for like 10 bucks less (advertised as bluray only).

Could probably do this approach with the digital copy too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing y'all have to take into consideration is that we're seeing the return of the Luke, Han, and Leia after 32 years.

TPM had the freshness factor of being the first post-OT Star Wars, but this movie has the return of these characters going for it, on top of the fact that there are simply more fans now than there were in 1999.

I keep harping on this, but it's true. There is a whole extra generation of children now as compared to the prequel era, and that is a pretty big thing to consider here. I think the hype for this movie may be bigger with young kids, mainly because more fans have had more kids in the past 16 years. There are people who were kids/teens in 99, with children of their own.

Sure, people didn't go to the theater just to see the trailer, but they didn't have to. Does anyone here doubt that more people have seen this trailer, than had seen the TPM trailer 3 days after its release?

But then, I guess it also depends on how exactly we're measuring and defining hype.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

5 sections of physics
So you're saying it was a hit!

One of my girls said, "I've never seen any of the Stat Wars movies, but that looks like a really good movie!"
TCTTS
AG
I can't argue with any of that. All great points. My only counter would be is that back then, the hype felt broader and more all-eoncompasing. Same idea as when there were only three channels on TV, it was more of a shared/universal experience. Feels like there's more noise and more competing with Star Wars now. Speaking strictly in terms of numbers, there are absolutely more people hyped for TFA than TPM, no doubt. But that hype just doesn't feel quite as loud. The Taco Bell tie in, the insane number of books and memorabilia, the toys, the massive amounts of commercials - it was inescapable and all just felt a tiny peg higher than it does now.
Rex Racer
AG
QuickTime has been around since 1991, long before TPM was even a glimmer in George's eye.
TCTTS
AG
I must have read some bad info then. Either way, it was still the first-ever movie trailer to be released online, and set the precedent for all movie studios to do the same.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
I must have read some bad info then. Either way, it was still the first-ever movie trailer to be released online, and set the precedent for all movie studios to do the same.
I'm just picking nits. You're dead on about the hype surrounding TPM. I remember getting a copy on VCD from a co-worker before it was even in theaters. I didn't watch it, though. I didn't want some crappy copy to be my first time seeing it.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, that's awesome.
First Page Last Page
Page 229 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.