Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,814 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Yoda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Anyone else hoping Yoda makes an appearance? I don't care if it's just a small cameo of Force Ghost Yoda speaking with Luke, that would be enough for me.

Nice to know people still think of me.

Do, or do not. There is no try.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
After seeing how Yoda could use the force to control his body during a fight, why doesn't he use the force to not use a cane?
Ag Since 83
AG
Using the Force to make things easier on yourself is probably viewed as being of the dark side.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
Using the Force to make things easier on yourself is probably viewed as being of the dark side.

Also, it would take constant focus which would take his mind away from other things.
Deputy Travis Junior
Zahn, Stackpole, and Alston were the only authors worth anything. The rest of the books were terrible.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

Also, it would take constant focus which would take his mind away from other things.

This.
RedbeardAG
AG
EU books are about half good and half garbage. The first two Zhan series were great, the two Xwing series were fantastic, and I actually really liked most of the New Jedi Order. Most everything else kinda sucked.
Ulrich
quote:
Zahn, Stackpole, and Alston were the only authors worth anything. The rest of the books were terrible.

I haven't read all of the authors by any means, but IMO the top two are Stover and Luceno.
Matthew Stover (Shatterpoint, Traitor, Dark Tide)
James Luceno (The Unifying Force, Agents of Chaos, Cloak of Deception)

I put Stackpole, Alston, and Zahn with Troy Denning: enjoyable, but definitely tier 2.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 1/25/2014 5:50p).]
RebAg13
redline248
AG
No love for Karen Travis and her infatuation with Mandalore? Man, she hated the Jedi and nearly every character wanted to switch and become Mandalorian.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This.

So the leader of the force is a mental midget?
Ulrich
I scanned Traviss's website one time, she is actually really dismissive of Star Wars in general. Proudly proclaims that she has never read any other Star Wars material, doesn't consider whether what she writes fits with the rest of the universe, etc. She's pretty up front that it's "just a job" that she doesn't like.
Ulrich
quote:

Yoda addresses this in Dark Rendezvous. Iirc, it's more about respect for the Force as well as staying "connected" to what life is like for a normal person.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
So when Yoda refers to himself as a great warrior before revealing his identity to Luke in The Empire Strikes Back, you never wondered how this goofy looking midget green goblin thing was able to be a great warrior?

That was back before being a Jedi meant just using a lightsaber. If you look back at the episodes 4-6, the lightsaber had far less importance. The Emperor even referred to it a few times as a "Jedi weapon," which seems to indicate that it wasn't the weapon of choice for Dark Side users; Vader, being a fallen Jedi, seems to be the exception.

It also wasn't this all-powerful weapon. Han Solo wasn't impressed by it, but was old enough to at least know what it was and have heard stories. Obi-wan called it elegant and civilized, but never talks about it being particularly powerful.

I wonder what JJ will do to try and curb some of the power creep in the universe. Honestly, the lightsaber thing is a real problem because they must constantly be written out of action scenes because they're too powerful.

- When first landing on Naboo, Obi-wan's malfunctions or has a bad energy source or something.
- In the droid factory, Anakin's gets cut in half by a piece of machinery.
- Fighting Grievous, Obi-wan drops his lightsaber off a cliff.
- Mace Windu has his hands cut off to disarm him.
- Yoda drops his to resolve the fight with Palpatine.
- etc.

In the EU the solution has been to create super common non-Jedi weapons that can parry a lightsaber (I think maybe Grievous had some guards that used something like this, but I don't remember).
redline248
AG
The Shock troop droids and 'vibroblades.'

quote:
She's pretty up front that it's "just a job" that she doesn't like

Which is probably part of the reason Lucas decided to scrap all that mandalorian garbage and make them pacifists. Didn't want her writing anymore. Part of it kind of sucks b/c I liked her Clone Commando books well enough, except for every Jedi character leaving the order to become mandalorian.
redline248
AG
quote:
I wonder what JJ will do to try and curb some of the power creep in the universe. Honestly, the lightsaber thing is a real problem because they must constantly be written out of action scenes because they're too powerful.

Oh, and while I don't have a problem with a powerful Jedi being almost unstoppable with a lightsaber, not all Jedi were that good. Depending on what's going to happen in these movies, there might not be many Jedi other than Luke anyway.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Have you guys even seen Empire? Yoda never refers to himself as a great warrior, Luke says he's LOOKING for a great warrior.
PatAg
AG
James Luceno was the worst author in the Star Wars EU...
Knife_Party
In case you people haven't found it yet, this site should provide you with all of the recent updates regarding 7,8 and 9.

http://theforce.net
SterlingMalloryArcher
quote:
Have you guys even seen Empire? Yoda never refers to himself as a great warrior, Luke says he's LOOKING for a great warrior.

doesn't mean I needed or wanted to see a CGI green blur hopping around with a light saber. And luke assumes he's a great warrior. Obi wan sent him to find a Jedi master, luke was the first to call him a great warrior, and I think Yoda just led him on by repeating it.
redline248
AG
All Yoda said was "You seek Yoda."
MGS
War does not make one great
Red Five
AG
quote:
In the EU the solution has been to create super common non-Jedi weapons that can parry a lightsaber (I think maybe Grievous had some guards that used something like this, but I don't remember).
About 5-6 years after ROTJ they discover Cortosis ore, which causes lightsabers to short out when the blade contacts the material. It can be made into armor and walls to prevent lightsabers from cutting through.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
EU books are about half good and half garbage.

A lot of people would say that about the films, too. (I wouldn't.)
redline248
AG
I don't see the problem with lightsabers. Why do you think the Jedi guarded the secret of making them so passionately? It's a powerful weapon. Even so, plenty of Jedi still died without ever losing the lightsaber (Ep II). Not all Jedi were equal, which is what makes the lightsaber powerful or not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be fair, most of the Jedi that died with their lightsaber on were either vastly outnumbered by droids, or ambushed by their clone troopers. And yes, some Jedi are obviously better than others. But in general, it still holds true that a lightsaber-wielding Jedi is nearly unstoppable in most circumstances.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 1/27/2014 11:45a).]
redline248
AG
To be fair, a force using Jedi is almost unstoppable in most situations. That's the thing about Jedi, with or without lightsabers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Precisely why lightsaber duels are always my favorite part of the SW movies.

I'd rank them in the following order.

1. Luke vs Vader (ESB)
2. Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Maul
3. Luke vs Vader (ROTJ) (tie)
3. Anakin vs Obi-Wan (tie)
5. Yoda vs Dooku
6. Yoda vs Palpatine
7. Mace Windu vs Palpatine
8. Obi-Wan vs Vader
redline248
AG
Obi-wan/Greivous? Anakin/Dooku pt 2?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Crap. Move Obi-Wan vs Grievous to the #7 spot. Anakin vs Dooku rematch didn't do all that much for me, that'd be last.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Where do you put Han Solo vs. Dead Tauntaun on that list?
redline248
AG
I think that goes on the following list:

Obi-wan v Alien in cantina
Luke v Wampa (I think I have that species name right)
Solo v taun taun
Any Jedi v any droid
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Qui-Gon vs steel door?
redline248
AG
That's below Luke v training orb
redline248
AG
Oh yeah, Anakin v sand people camp is probably at the top of my list
Last Page
Page 2 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.