Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,847 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ganondorf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anakin!!! Noooo!!!!
YellowPot_97
AG
Anakin vs Zam's windshield?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
meh..

they shoulda rebooted the horrible prequels first before hitting episodes 7,8,9.

i just can't get past how bad the prequels were.
Red Five
AG
quote:
Oh yeah, Anakin v sand people camp is probably at the top of my list
"They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals."
brents1975
What about Luke vs himself as Darth Vader in the cave on Degobah?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
They could have half-redeemed AOTC by showing Anakin destroying that entire Tusken village. It's pretty awesome in the novelization.

Don't forget to rank

Mace Windu vs. Jango Fett's neck
brents1975
Disney Shareholder Letter Confirms Star Wars Rebels TV Special Will Air This Summer

Here's the relevant portion of the shareholder letter:

It’s hard to believe it’s already been a year since we acquired the extraordinary Star Wars franchise, but we’re well on our way to expanding that epic saga to thrill fans and introduce its iconic characters to a new generation with fantastic new storylines. After months of public speculation and anticipation, we announced the official release date for the next feature film, Star Wars: Episode VII, will be December 18, 2015. So far we’ve kept the details to ourselves, but we’re thrilled with the story and committed to making an incredible movie, and we should be releasing more information as production moves forward in the coming year.

As with Marvel, the rich universe of Star Wars has tremendous creative potential for the entire company. While
the world eagerly awaits Episode VII to open in theaters, we’re introducing Star Wars Rebels to television audiences this summer with a movie and a series of shorts on Disney Channel, followed by a continuing series on Disney XD. Our success in building a robust pipeline of original Star Wars content for various platforms will be an integral part of our long-term strategy to leverage the franchise across a variety of our businesses, from theme parks to consumer products.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Disney_Shareholder_Letter_Confirms_Star_Wars_Rebels_TV_Special_Will_Air_This_Summer_156482.asp
TCTTS
AG
Gary Oldman "officially" being considered (along with every other actor in Hollywood)...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=114535
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So is Zac Effron.

Oldman would be fantastic though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A Star Wars theme park unto itself though? Take my freaking credits!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Gary Oldman was actually set to voice General Grievous in Revenge of the Sith, but had to back out of it due to it not being a SAG film.

www.ign.com/articles/2004/09/03/oldman-out-of-sith
redline248
AG
So actual people on a set TV show or animated?
PatAg
AG
zac effron is actually a pretty good actor. Have you seen any of the movies he has been in in the past 3 years or so?
mattvswild
AG
quote:
"They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals."

Ugh. Reading this and I can hear the over-acting all over again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty sweet set of propganda-style posters for Rebels.
http://news.cnet.com/2300-10797_3-10019542-1.html

Redline, to answer Redline's question, it'll be CGI.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 2/7/2014 9:48a).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
zac effron is actually a pretty good actor. Have you seen any of the movies he has been in in the past 3 years or so?

Yes, I saw 17 Again and I liked it. It's not that I don't like the guy or think he's a bad actor, I just can't see him in Star Wars. The whole time I'd be thinking, "that's Zac Efron, not a Jedi" (or whatever else character).
Farmer1906
AG
quote:

Nope and I have no interest in them either. Either I've never heard of them or they looked not good.
redline248
AG
Well, I'm glad that they are keeping Asohka around to tell more of her story. When she was first introduced I was not a fan of Anakin having a padawan, but as the Clone Wars series continued I think it's integral to talk about that relationship and how it pushes Anakin more toward becoming Vader.

I also thought having a padawan in Force Unleashed was pretty dumb too, and hope he's never brought into this new Disney realm
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never watched Clone Wars, so I'll be watching it before jumping into this new series.

quote:
I also thought having a padawan in Force Unleashed was pretty dumb too

It is. Completely contradicts the Rule of Two. Do they even bring that up in the game?
Ulrich
The Rule of Two was more like a guideline anyway. The Sith all tended to recruit apprentices on the side, usually as part of the scheme to overthrow the Master/stave off the apprentice.
redline248
AG
Only in the books, and even then barely. Dooku wasn't training Ventress to be a Sith, Palpatine wasn't training anyone other than current apprentice, but was on the lookout for a replacement. Vader had no one until he decided to try to get Luke to turn.
RedbeardAG
AG
Just because it didn't state it happened in the movie doesn't mean it wasn't happening. You can only do so much world building in 3 two hour movies. That's why the EU exists.
RebAg13
Ulrich
quote:
Only in the books, and even then barely. Dooku wasn't training Ventress to be a Sith, Palpatine wasn't training anyone other than current apprentice, but was on the lookout for a replacement. Vader had no one until he decided to try to get Luke to turn.

Tenebrous had two apprentices, Plagueis and Venamis.

Plagueis wasn't killed until right before Palpatine became chancellor, which means that Palpatine trained Maul, recruited Dooku, and had his eyes on Vader all while Plagueis was alive.
Ulrich
I just looked it up, and apparently in the EU Vader had as many as 10 apprentices. EU has a lot of stupid BS, but the idea of Sith having hidden apprentices to either help take down the master or planning for after the master is taken down is highly consistent with the philosophy and behavior of the Sith.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
DiCaprio early in his career had quite a bit of backlash. There was talk hed be cast as young Sonny Corleone in GF4 & people railed on him saying hes a pu*** and not GF mamaterial.

Not saying Efron is DiCaprio. ..but im saying he may not be as bad as some might think.
TCTTS
AG
^ Speaking of DiCaprio and Star Wars, it's been years since I even thought of this, but back in the day, a few weeks after Episode I was released, I pranked Ain't It Cool News with a fake "pre-production" drawing of DiCaprio as Anakin, basically igniting that whole rumor. And it spread like wild fire.

Just did a Google search, and I can only find a small thumbnail image (this happened 15 years ago), but I also found the original AICN story (the much-bigger image link there has since gone down). Echoing Orlando Ayala Cant Read, this was post-Titanic, post-The Beach, and yeah, people HATED DiCaprio back then, save for 14-year-old girls. So I think I just wanted to see how much hysteria I could cause. I'm a decent artist, and had seen The Art of Episode I book recently at a Hastings, so I basically just made my drawing look like some of the official pre-production artwork in the book. Specifically, there was one of Russel Crowe as Obi-Wan that I kind of tried to copy, except with DiCaprio as Anakin, obviously.

Anyway, I was 18 at the time, so excuse the ridiculousness of my bit in the blurb. Still, every single site somehow picked up on this story. I remember Entertainment Tonight even talking about the rumor a couple weeks later. It was crazy. So funny how "innocent" the internet was back then. And just FYI, "Darth Yddet" was just Darth with my name backwards...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/3775

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/8/2014 1:16a).]
Not a Bot
AG
^
I
Wow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So you're saying the cause of the whole DiCaprio/Episode II rumor mill was you? If true, that's hilarious.
Ag Since 83
AG
I remember that article and picture. Well done.

As for the Efron hate, he was decent in Parkland. And the trailer for his upcoming movie with Seth Rogen looks pretty funny.
Al Bula
AG
Well now that the EU is irrelevant I'm glad I wasted no time on reading anything after the Corellian trilogy. The whole premise of the New Jedi Order was very uninteresting and seemed like it was pulled out a handful of writers' asses.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
So you're saying the cause of the whole DiCaprio/Episode II rumor mill was you? If true, that's hilarious.

I think his name had already been mentioned, along with Ryan Phillippe and a few other guys. But yeah, that post/drawing is what put DiCaprio's name in the forefront, and basically started all the rage / serious reporting on it.
redline248
AG
quote:
Just because it didn't state it happened in the movie doesn't mean it wasn't happening. You can only do so much world building in 3 two hour movies. That's why the EU exists

Except Lucas, and now Disney, have given a big middle finger to almost everything in the EU. That includes all the trash novels/games about Vader having 10 padawans.
Dread Pirate Roberts
quote:
we’re introducing Star Wars Rebels to television audiences this summer with a movie and a series of shorts on Disney Channel, followed by a continuing series on Disney XD. Our success in building a robust pipeline of original Star Wars content for various platforms will be an integral part of our long-term strategy to leverage the franchise across a variety of our businesses, from theme parks to consumer products.

At first, this news was thrilling. However, now I'm worried that it's going to be over saturated and we'll lose the magic feelings, crazed hyped, etc for the movies. It won't be like it was waiting for episodes 5, 6 and 1.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
However, now I'm worried that it's going to be over saturated and we'll lose the magic feelings, crazed hyped, etc for the movies. It won't be like it was waiting for episodes 5, 6 and 1.

Don't be.

They can give us as much animated series, games, books, etc as they want, but nothing compares to buzz and hype surrounding a new, live-action Star Wars film. If anything I think the hype for Episode VII may even surpass the hype for Episode I, given how the story will be completely new and fresh, not a prequel series of which we already know the final outcome.

Thing's gonna be a monster.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.