Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,640 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is an interesting point. Look at the names. Poe, Finn, rey, kyle. Easy to pronounce for younger children
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
That is an interesting point. Look at the names. Poe, Finn, rey, kyle. Easy to pronounce for younger children

Kyle?????

Saxsoon
AG
Kyle Ren, the dark user of the Force, soulless because of his ginger hair
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:
Has a movie character ever become iconic before the movie was out? Trying to think if that's ever happened before. This is arguably what's happening with Kylo and BB-8 this year.

Guess you were not around for the introduction of Boba Fett via action figure.
Ulrich
quote:
Greedo shooting first.
Blue glowie hayden christiensen
revamped Jabba Palace song

These need to GO.

Jabba in a New Hope is only bad because of the CGI Jabba, not what the scene is.

Most everything else should stay. There may be a few I am missing though.
The first three are among the biggest problems. The Jabba scene needs to go. One, the dialogue is copy/paste from the Greedo scene. The two scenes serve the same purpose, and the Greedo scene is far better. Two, the CGI is really bad. Really really bad. Three, Jabba is not a wonderful human being. Four, there is just something odd about the phrase, "Han, mabuki". Five, the stupid slapstick when Han walks over his tail because OH YEAH IT'S NOT A REAL SCENE THAT MAKES SENSE ANYMORE BECAUSE JABBA: NOT A HUMAN BEING AND THUS HAS A GIANT TAIL SO NOW MOOOORE BAD CGI TO "COVER IT UP".

Some of the other notable things I would remove are the giant creature walking across the frame and totally covering up the screen to no purpose, the kangaroo rat-things and all the other distracting visual clutter Lucas crammed into what was originally an intentionally sparse, gritty desert scene that makes no sense with hordes of giant reptiles and comedy robots, the Vader scream, and Episode II.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
... sense with hordes of giant reptiles and comedy robots, the Vader scream, and Episode II.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/09/two-rumors-about-darth-vader-in-future-star-wars-films/
AliasMan02
AG
Secondary canon is working hard to establish yellow lightsabers as a common color as well.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/09/two-rumors-about-darth-vader-in-future-star-wars-films/

I am OK with this
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'd love to see the climax of Rogue One being the team that acquires the Death Star plans being systematically eliminated by Vader. Like they are all running across a city to the starport to get the plans to Leia aboard the Corellian Corvette, and Vader and stormies are after them; It could be like the original Predator - no matter how good those guys were (Arnie not withstanding) and no matter how good they were fighting or with weapons, Vader is better, and kills them 1 by 1, but they are able to use trickery to get the plans to Leia, maybe even employing a certain astromech droid to sneak them onboard the ship?
Farmer1906
AG
I doubt its anything like that, but that would be awesome.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Please, don't shoe horn in R2 into the film..... R2 doesn't need to be at every major event within the SWU. As to Vader systematically destroying the rebels in R1, I'm ok with that idea. Perhaps he can force push someone and impale them on some debris in the battlefield.
jr15aggie
AG
Seeing Hayden Christensen coming back as Vader could be awesome... especially if we get to see him with the mask off at some point. I'm not one who goes looking for irony or symbolism... but considering how this guy was butchered in the Ep. II & III by his director, script, and public, it would almost be fitting to see him all messed up on screen again. The broken hero. Would also be nice to see him redeemed by actually contributing in a positive way to a really good Star Wars flick.

But I'm in the "not likely" camp right now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If he came back as Vader and knocked it out of the park, it would be awesome redemption for him as an actor, and for the character.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
86 -- The birth of Pixar Animation Studios. 86 days...

ChipFTAC01
AG
How are the ret-conning Rogue 1 with the "A great many Bothans died to bring us these plans..."
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
How are the ret-conning Rogue 1 with the "A great many Bothans died to bring us these plans..."
Bothans died for the 2ND Death Star plans, not the first.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
take that
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Filthy casual.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:

I done been schooled.
wangus12
AG
I'd actually be slightly ok with bringing Christensen returning as Darth Vader
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I done been schooled.
I just wanted you to be right.
ChipFTAC01
AG
What was there in the old canon about how Leia ended up with the plans?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Seeing Hayden Christensen coming back as Vader could be awesome... especially if we get to see him with the mask off at some point. I'm not one who goes looking for irony or symbolism... but considering how this guy was butchered in the Ep. II & III by his director, script, and public, it would almost be fitting to see him all messed up on screen again. The broken hero. Would also be nice to see him redeemed by actually contributing in a positive way to a really good Star Wars flick.

**** this noise.

Vader peaked as a character in empire. He became a ***** in jedi and his "creation " story as told in the prequels absolutely destroyed the character.

He went from being a scary dark agent of fear to a great villain to a little ***** that I was happy to see die.

Ep 1 - who is this kid? God I wish he would get killed.
Ep2 - who is this whiny little biatch? God I wish he would get killed.
Ep3 - my god what a baby. Nut Up And Go FIND A New Piece Of ass. God I wish he would die.
Ep4 - who is this scary dude?. Where did he come from? I would live to see some movies about him.
Ep5 - this dude is a bad ass, they should keep him around.
Ep 6- I guess the emperor let him keep his ovaries, since he is more emotional than a woman going through the change. Oh good! He died.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You seem to have missed the point of the character entirely. Sure, he's a badass, iconic villain with awesome armor, but if you don't tell the rest of his story, he's basically Boba Fett. A cool-looking bad guy with no story or character development.

The more I think about it, the more I am on-board with this. Christensen is a good actor and deserves another shot, with better writers and a different director. Even if he only has the mask off for a few minutes, it would be really cool to see, and it may change the popular opinion on him. (Keep in mind we've only seen Vader helmet-less for about 1 minute of total screentime.)

Personally I don't hate him as much as a lot of you older guys do, but that's just me.

Here's a piece I saw earlier this month that I really liked.

Duncan Idaho
The back story was a poorly told after thought that ruined the character.

A well thought out and well told story that fit both the story and tone of 456 would have been great and might have added something to the story.

Malachi Constant
AG
Really cool. I think that picture just changed my mind.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hear you, but how does it not fit the story of the OT? (Other than that one throwaway line where Obi-Wan describes him as the best pilot in the galaxy.)
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

**** this noise.

Vader peaked as a character in empire. He became a ***** in jedi and his "creation " story as told in the prequels absolutely destroyed the character.

He went from being a scary dark agent of fear to a great villain to a little ***** that I was happy to see die.

Ep3 - my god what a baby. Nut Up And Go FIND A New Piece Of ass. God I wish he would die.
Ep4 - who is this scary dude?. Where did he come from? I would live to see some movies about him.
Ep 6- I guess the emperor let him keep his ovaries, since he is more emotional than a woman going through the change. Oh good! He died.
The fall of Anakin into Darth was poorly told, IMO. Honestly, the story could be a great one but they started and forced it with bad writing. Virgin birth... no. Also, show him make some gray decisions that haunt him. He should have saved a ship of people at the expense of Qui Gon's life. He was fighting Maul with Qui Gon, who was losing and would have been beaten if Anakin had stayed and fought with him, but he had to leave the fight to go save the ship. Then no force ghost Qui Gon to console him. A few decisions like that, ones that torture him, and a fall is much more believable and acceptable. Show him try to do the good thing many times, only to have it hurt him. Saving Palpatine by killing Mace was on track, but he should have brought Palpatine in... That was the right thing to do and should have tortured him. It should have happened in the 2nd movie. Movie 3 should have put him in the position to save Padme and Obi Wan at the expense of a lot of people. He does so because he can't bear losing his loved ones yet again. In doing so, the aftermath make him realize that he made the wrong choice, but it was the easier one... let him grow on that. He guards Palpatine, who teases him into the dark side. Also, he should have been shown in movie 1 to be an older padawan instead of a kid. Qui Gon's death would have been the tipping point to him becoming a Jedi. At the end of 2, after killing Mace, the council moves him to Master. Things like that would have made for a much better trilogy, IMO.
cr0wbar
AG
Hayden Christensen is not a good actor. Where did you read that?
Aggie_3
quote:
quote:
quote:

**** this noise.

The fall of Anakin into Darth was poorly told, IMO. Honestly, the story could be a great one but they started and forced it with bad writing. Virgin birth... no. Also, show him make some gray decisions that haunt him. He should have saved a ship of people at the expense of Qui Gon's life. He was fighting Maul with Qui Gon, who was losing and would have been beaten if Anakin had stayed and fought with him, but he had to leave the fight to go save the ship. Then no force ghost Qui Gon to console him. A few decisions like that, ones that torture him, and a fall is much more believable and acceptable. Show him try to do the good thing many times, only to have it hurt him. Saving Palpatine by killing Mace was on track, but he should have brought Palpatine in... That was the right thing to do and should have tortured him. It should have happened in the 2nd movie. Movie 3 should have put him in the position to save Padme and Obi Wan at the expense of a lot of people. He does so because he can't bear losing his loved ones yet again. In doing so, the aftermath make him realize that he made the wrong choice, but it was the easier one... let him grow on that. He guards Palpatine, who teases him into the dark side. Also, he should have been shown in movie 1 to be an older padawan instead of a kid. Qui Gon's death would have been the tipping point to him becoming a Jedi. At the end of 2, after killing Mace, the council moves him to Master. Things like that would have made for a much better trilogy, IMO.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The fall of Anakin into Darth was poorly told, IMO. Honestly, the story could be a great one but they started and forced it with bad writing. Virgin birth... no. Also, show him make some gray decisions that haunt him.

A few decisions like that, ones that torture him, and a fall is much more believable and acceptable.
He made plenty of tortured decisions throughout II and III, it's just the execution was probably poor in some places due to Lucas' direction. The writing (as far at the story, not the dialogue) was not bad, imo.

Consider the types of decisions/events Anakin experienced:
Ignore his feelings for Padme or give in to them
Dealing with his mother's torture and death by the Tusken raiders, and his subsequent massacre of them
Disobeying Obi-Wan's order to not go to Geonosis to rescue him
Executing Count Dooku
Not being made a Master when put on the Council
Fearing for the loss of Padme, and stopping Mace from killing Palpatine in order to save her

That's some heavy ****. And yet, when Anakin pledges himself to Palpatine, it's still tough to buy into it. The groundwork had been laid, but (imo) due to subpar directing, and execution of some of these plot points, you don't totally buy into the turn.

I think the exact same story in more capable hands could've made for better films.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
The fall of Anakin into Darth was poorly told, IMO. Honestly, the story could be a great one but they started and forced it with bad writing. Virgin birth... no. Also, show him make some gray decisions that haunt him.

A few decisions like that, ones that torture him, and a fall is much more believable and acceptable.
He made plenty of tortured decisions throughout II and III, it's just the execution was probably poor in some places due to Lucas' direction. The writing (as far at the story, not the dialogue) was not bad, imo.

Consider the types of decisions/events Anakin experienced:
Ignore his feelings for Padme or give in to them
Dealing with his mother's torture and death by the Tusken raiders, and his subsequent massacre of them
Disobeying Obi-Wan's order to not go to Geonosis to rescue him
Executing Count Dooku
Not being made a Master when put on the Council
Fearing for the loss of Padme, and stopping Mace from killing Palpatine in order to save her

That's some heavy ****. And yet, when Anakin pledges himself to Palpatine, it's still tough to buy into it. The groundwork had been laid, but (imo) due to subpar directing, and execution of some of these plot points, you don't totally buy into the turn.

I think the exact same story in more capable hands could've made for better films.
Right, but each of those, he made the wrong decision. I mean, yes, you see a clear trend for him to do the wrong thing, but that doesn't really lead any credence to him being good at heart. Padme feelings aside, as I feel that is an essential part of his fall, if he had shown the raiders mercy before only to have them kill his mother, if he had to let a Jedi Master die (not Obi Wan due to his involvement of the story going forward) instead of disobeying orders... if he had let Dooku stand trial instead of murdering him.... Not being Master is actually a good idea in a lot of ways... Just so many things that could have been done differently to show him as a fallen jedi and really would have enhanced the story there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I see your point, but some of those were "the right decision", sort of.

Rescuing Obi-Wan. (Or attempting to.)
Turning his friend Palpatine in to the Jedi.
Preventing Mace from executing Palpatine before trial. (Albeit for selfish reasons.)
First Page Last Page
Page 186 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.