Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,249 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only got 28... A lot names I could not remember. I did get Plo Koon though. I had to google how to spell far too many of them though.
Hagen95
AG
36/40
jr15aggie
AG
35 out of 40 with 5 minutes left.

So I pretty much got every character that was mentioned in the movies. Characters who's names were never vocally said I could care less. I even remembered Boss Nass which was only spoken once I believe. The spelling was hard on some of them.

I was sorta hoping I would do worse so I wouldn't be such a nerd. But I love Star Wars.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
Not sure how the destruction of the first Death Star would have altered this, but recall that Tarkin informs his staff officers that the Emperor has permanently dissolved the Senate and that the regional governors were now in charge (of galactic territories). It seems to me that Tarkin and other governor's would have been higher in the pecking order than Vader, who was essentially Palpatine's enforcer.

I never knew of other grand moffs other than Tarkin.
Tarkin did say regional governors - plural - so even though none are ever mentioned, I have to assume there are other guys like Tarkin in that galaxy far, far away.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
36/40

Could not get the last 4
Knife_Party
If you made me do this with Harry Potter I can probably only get 1 or 2 names. I'm not a nerd. I just like star wars.
Bruce Almighty
AG
24/40. I knew all the characters but couldn't remember all the names.
Ag Since 83
AG
39/40

Never could remember the one-eyed guy's name
CapCityAg89
AG
23. Way, way too many second trilogy guys.
Ulrich
The politics near Palpatine were complex. There wasn't a clear "order". It tended to be who was in favor at the moment with plenty of backroom plotting and the occasional literal knife in the back. Dark Sun criminals, Force-strong individuals, politicians, military-industrial types like Tarkin. Vader and Tarkin were generally not rivals though.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Is there a Palpatine origin story? I've always wondered how he became so powerful without anyone realizing.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Is there a Palpatine origin story? I've always wondered how he became so powerful without anyone realizing.

Not anything that's in the new canon.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

Jar Jar did it.

That *******.
Ulrich
There is one in the old EU. He was a very young politician from Naboo who caught the eye of a Muun Sith Lord (Darth Plagueis, mentioned in the prequels) for his incredible political skills... and strength in the Force. He was trained in secret while he worked his way up through the ranks, with the hidden aid of the extremely wealthy and powerful Plagueis. When Palpatine felt that he had learned enough of the ways of the Sith and the ways of political power from Plagueis (and the night before his election as Supreme Chancellor), he killed Plagueis.
Red Five
AG
quote:
There is one in the old EU. He was a very young politician from Naboo who caught the eye of a Muun Sith Lord (Darth Plagueis, mentioned in the prequels) for his incredible political skills... and strength in the Force. He was trained in secret while he worked his way up through the ranks, with the hidden aid of the extremely wealthy and powerful Plagueis. When Palpatine felt that he had learned enough of the ways of the Sith and the ways of political power from Plagueis (and the night before his election as Supreme Chancellor), he killed Plagueis.
This much at least is pretty much outright stated in Revenge of the Sith. So even if the details of the Plagueis book aren't canon anymore, the general framework is.

Plagueis is also the reason I stopped thinking of the prophecy and the virgin birth as some of the more stupid ideas in the prequels. i mean they're not great, but i think they actually make a bit of sense. Palpatine tells Anakin that Plagueis had control over life and death, which he says for Anakin's benefit. But he also says that Plagueis even knew how to create life out of the force. Palpatine learned all of his master's knowledge, so he obviously would have known that too. Even though the prophecy was a Jedi thing, I dont think it would be out of the question for the Sith to know about it or even to have their own spin on what it meant. I think it's plausible that Palpatine could have used the force to create Anakin in an attempt to realize the prophecy in the favor of the Sith, which it appeared to have done until he found himself plummeting down the shaft in the death star.
Red Five
AG
quote:
This much at least is pretty much outright stated in Revenge of the Sith. So even if the details of the Plagueis book aren't canon anymore, the general framework is.

Plagueis is also the reason I stopped thinking of the prophecy and the virgin birth as some of the more stupid ideas in the prequels. i mean they're not great, but i think they actually make a bit of sense. Palpatine tells Anakin that Plagueis had control over life and death, which he says for Anakin's benefit. But he also says that Plagueis even knew how to create life out of the force. Palpatine learned all of his master's knowledge, so he obviously would have known that too. Even though the prophecy was a Jedi thing, I dont think it would be out of the question for the Sith to know about it or even to have their own spin on what it meant. I think it's plausible that Palpatine could have used the force to create Anakin in an attempt to realize the prophecy in the favor of the Sith, which it appeared to have done until he found himself plummeting down the shaft in the death star.
MGS
I just assumed all the stuff about Plagueis and creating life was just B.S. that he was feeding Anakin to help turn him.
Red Five
AG
It's Lucas we are talking about here, so any assumption that it meant nothing is probably the more correct one. I'm just trying to salvage what I can.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I just assumed all the stuff about Plagueis and creating life was just B.S. that he was feeding Anakin to help turn him.
Same here, though it doesn't explain who his actual father is. (Maybe raped in her sleep?)

In any case, I don't think it's supposed to be clear either way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
That's awesome.

To go a little further into it, what's the meter that is building up as the Rebel fires? Gotta be heat on the weapon, right?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Heat build up would also be my guess.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Maybe that means the guns won't have ammo on them? I have never seen a storm trooper reload in a movie.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Maybe that means the guns won't have ammo on them? I have never seen a storm trooper reload in a movie.

In the RPGs, blasters usually just have huge capacities.
Saxsoon
AG
They have a Star Wars costume exhibit up here in Seattle. I will post pictures when I get a chance and some impressions
Ag Since 83
AG
I went to that display in Seattle in June. It's pretty cool, but very Prequel heavy. The EMP Museum as a whole is awesome though.
Saxsoon
AG
It is prequel heavy but honestly there is a lot more to the costume design in the prequels anyway regardless of how you feel about them. Lots of influences across different cultures and time periods which is extraordinary. Reminded me how alien yet familiar the costume design was.
AliasMan02
AG
Here's an interesting question raised as I read A New Dawn. There is a character in the book who is a Clone Wars veteran, but not a clone or a Jedi. Did we ever see any soldiers for the Republic who were not clones or Jedi? In the prequels or in the Clone Wars?
Farmer1906
AG
I would say yes. it was usually soldiers from whatever planet they were fighting on. Like wookies on Kashyyyk.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Here's an interesting question raised as I read A New Dawn. There is a character in the book who is a Clone Wars veteran, but not a clone or a Jedi. Did we ever see any soldiers for the Republic who were not clones or Jedi? In the prequels or in the Clone Wars?
In TCW, there were apparently people working in the Jedi Temple hangar that were not Jedi or Clones. However, Yularen is in command of one of the Star Destroyers in TCW while he served in the Republic Navy so there is that as well. I don't remember seeing anyone actually fighting in canon that was involved in the war off the top of my head, but it has been awhile since I watched the series.

Edit: Let me clarify, no one in the republic army that was not either a Jedi or Clone Trooper. There were underground/resistance movements like Onderon and Ryloth where people fought in the war.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I don't know, at least in the clone wars show, it seems like all the upper level people on starships are all just regular dudes. For example, Tarkin is a captain. Is that what you mean?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I don't know, at least in the clone wars show, it seems like all the upper level people on starships are all just regular dudes. For example, Tarkin is a captain. Is that what you mean?

That's true. The guy in A New Dawn was just a grunt, but in TCW, we did see naval officers that were just regular guys.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A new teaser dropped in South Korea with 2 seconds of new footage. Notice the new walkers on the far right.

AliasMan02
AG
Cannot wait! Gonna go freeze myself in carbonite until release day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Careful. You're no good to us dead.
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.