Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,654 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I agree with all that. Only thing is, Qui Gon would then need another motivation to take him and train him.

Qui Gon was never supposed to be a thing. Obi Wan clearly met an adult pilot named Anakin who who was strong with the Force, who he decided to train instead of sending him to Yoda.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The prophecy was that he would bring balance to the force, It was never said that that person had to strong in the force to do it. ( Did it?) He could have just done it like the Spanish Inquisition.

But I think Luke is going to be the end result in bringing balance to the force not Anakin anyway.
joemeister
AG
Anakin brought balance to the force when he killed the Emperor. Luke's role was that of the redeemer.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
The prophecy was that he would bring balance to the force, It was never said that that person had to strong in the force to do it. ( Did it?) He could have just done it like the Spanish Inquisition.

But I think Luke is going to be the end result in bringing balance to the force not Anakin anyway.

The enders game universe did a good job with this.
Ender saved humanity but it was only because he listened to bean.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
I agree with all that. Only thing is, Qui Gon would then need another motivation to take him and train him.

Qui Gon was never supposed to be a thing. Obi Wan clearly met an adult pilot named Anakin who who was strong with the Force, who he decided to train instead of sending him to Yoda.
If it had been done that way, the rise of the Empire essentially would've been Obi-Wan's fault.

Edit: Well, not the rise of the Empire, nevermind. But the Empire we saw in the OT at least, with Vader as second in command.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
quote:

If it had been done that way, the rise of the Empire essentially would've been Obi-Wan's fault.

Edit: Well, not the rise of the Empire, nevermind. But the Empire we saw in the OT at least, with Vader as second in command.

Vader wasn't even close to second in command in the OT.

He was tarkin's pet
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He most definitely was after the Death Star was blown up.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe so, but I didn't make it up. The backstory is clear in Star Wars.
Duncan Idaho
Disagree.

Was he in the heir apparent? Yeah. but he wasn't second in command.

Joe Biden isn't the second most powerful man in the country. But he would take over if anything happened to obama.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Based on ESB and ROTJ (never read the EU), who would you place above Vader?
Duncan Idaho
Some off screen, person like a minister of defence or secretary of state.

I just don't see how he could have gone from a side that no one took seriously and only out up with him because he was the emperor's protg to being second in command in that Shortime of time when the damn death star was literarly blown out from under his feet.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
The new comics have him as not 2nd in command. They take place after A New Hope.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well seeing as he was leading the attack on the rebels on Hoth, was commanding a Super Star Destroyer, and was force choking imperial officers left and right, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he was the de facto "big swinging dick" when Palps wasn't around.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
The new comics have him as not 2nd in command. They take place after A New Hope.
Again, haven't read any EU, so was talking strictly about the movies. But good to know. So who was?
Keegan99
AG
Vader's arrival on the death star in ROTJ seemed to make it pretty clear that he was second only to Palps.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Vader's arrival on the death star in ROTJ seemed to make it pretty clear that he was second only to Palps.

Tarkin *might* have been above him.

Maybe.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You do realize he died in the Death Star, right?
AgMarauder04
AG
I meant beforehand, but yes. I'm aware.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Again, haven't read any EU, so was talking strictly about the movies. But good to know. So who was?
I'd have to go back and read. He was clearly in the doghouse and doing things behind Vader's back.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Not sure how the destruction of the first Death Star would have altered this, but recall that Tarkin informs his staff officers that the Emperor has permanently dissolved the Senate and that the regional governors were now in charge (of galactic territories). It seems to me that Tarkin and other governor's would have been higher in the pecking order than Vader, who was essentially Palpatine's enforcer.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Not sure how the destruction of the first Death Star would have altered this, but recall that Tarkin informs his staff officers that the Emperor has permanently dissolved the Senate and that the regional governors were now in charge (of galactic territories). It seems to me that Tarkin and other governor's would have been higher in the pecking order than Vader, who was essentially Palpatine's enforcer.

I never knew of other grand moffs other than Tarkin.
MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
He could have just done it like the Spanish Inquisition.

Duncan Idaho
Cinco and I ate on the same page
joemeister
AG
Sith lords have weird relationships. The Master is always having to worry about the apprentice bumping him off. It's clear throughout the OT that Vader is still very much an apprentice. He isn't a skilled politician like Palpatine, and pretty much all of his allies are martial in nature. (Ex: When Vader tries to turn Luke, he is most likey very genuine in his offer to make Luke his new apprentice and take Palpatine down.)

If you read Tarkin, it seems like Vader and Tarkin were both on the same rung, but Tarkin clearly understood that the Vader's Sith relationship made him a dangerous ally. It also makes clear that Tarkin and Vader had a strong mutual respect that began when Vader was still Anakin Skywalker. There are numerous flashbacks from when Tarkin was a Republic Senator showing that Palpatine had a great influence on him long before the Clone Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Come to think of it, Tarkin never really joined in when the Death Star generals were insulting Vader. Interesting point about mutual respect.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
31/40. Let's see who can score the highest.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/CCCP/progressively-harder-star-wars-characters

Wedge and Sebulba I should've gotten but I blanked on them.
Red Five
AG
34/40 come at me bro.

Couldnt get the last 2 jedi masters or the assorted Nabooans. I knew the black guy with the eye patch was right on the tip of my tongue but i couldnt get it. i typed something in that was one letter off from his actual name/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same ones I missed.

I'm sure someone's gonna get damn close to 40.
twilly
AG
40/40 with 3:40 left

As I tell all my friends, I don't need to get a life, I already have one in a galaxy far, far away.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
twilly
AG
I see BDW clapping like that and I get the urge to pop open a Colt 45
Duncan Idaho
quote:
40/40 with 3:40 left

As I tell all my friends, I don't need to get a life, I already have one in a galaxy far, far away.

Buy this man a colt 45 malt liquor
Red Five
AG
quote:
I see BDW clapping like that and I get the urge to pop open a Colt 45
quote:
Buy this man a colt 45 malt liquor

Uncanny
double aught
AG
34/40. I should've gotten the Gungan leader. Had no idea on the two Jedi who got aced by Palps. Was pretty proud I got Amidala's military guy/bodyguard. .
MSFC Aggie
AG
33/40

Kicking myself on two of them.

Surprising how many I knew not from watching the movies, but from playing Star Wars Lego.
First Page Last Page
Page 153 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.