Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,584 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished all that is currently available for Rebels. I liked Clone Wars okay, and there were some good episodes, but I really think Rebels blows it out of the water. The "movie" to open the second season was VERY good.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Just finished all that is currently available for Rebels. I liked Clone Wars okay, and there were some good episodes, but I really think Rebels blows it out of the water. The "movie" to open the second season was VERY good.
When CW was at its best, I liked it better. IMO the characters were just more interesting. We already knew most of them well, but it took it to another level at times.
AliasMan02
AG
So far Rebels hasn't done anything like a Jar Jar or Droids episode. I also like the more linear storytelling.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
So far Rebels hasn't done anything like a Jar Jar or Droids episode. I also like the more linear storytelling.
So true. That is why I said CW at its best. Very up and down show.
fig96
AG
I need to dig into Rebels more, I've seen the first 5 or 6. Glad to hear the positive reviews, I'll check it out.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I need to dig into Rebels more, I've seen the first 5 or 6. Glad to hear the positive reviews, I'll check it out.

The show starts to pick up at "Empire Day" and from then on in the second half of the season, finishes pretty strong.

The season two premier has upped the game slightly with the appearance of Vader in person. I don't think that he will necessarily be a recurring character though, and I don't think he should be. I think he will likely show up again in the finale though. Remember though, we get two new Inquisitors for the season to hound the crew.
AliasMan02
AG
Speaking of Inquisitors, I like how they've dealt with them so far. Inquisitor was a threat, but his Force abilities were fairly mundane. Glad they haven't let Force Lightning and Force Choking and TK on an epic scale run amok.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw this on the nerdery.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/05/star-wars-battlefront-dogfighting/

jabberwalkie09
AG

Yeah... I may have to purchase the game now. I wasn't so enthused over there not being a single player game mode, but squadron battles may swing my opinion to the buy column.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Saw this on the nerdery.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://time.com/3983509/new-star-wars-movie-money/

Expectations are $2.2 billion according to this article on Time. I wonder what these Wall Street analysts are basing this off this early in the game?
Red Five
AG
quote:
Saw this on the nerdery.

Greatest game ever.
slickag2007
AG
Being able to fly in a dogfight only mode is definitely why I'll be buying this game. I don't care that much about the FPS aspect, but I loved all the Rogue Squadron games. I wish they would let us customize our own squadrons and all that.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Speaking of Inquisitors, I like how they've dealt with them so far. Inquisitor was a threat, but his Force abilities were fairly mundane. Glad they haven't let Force Lightning and Force Choking and TK on an epic scale run amok.
I think that Filoni is going to really try to distinguish the Inquisitors as not actual Sith by making them a bit more mundane and letting them having gadgets to compensate. Gadgets like the spinning lightsabers, seriously I wondered if the first season's Inquisitor was going to try and fly away like Mary Poppins with her umbrella... In the trailer, we saw the female Inquisitor with some kind of droid hanging on her shoulder, and also attacking Sabine.

With Inquisitors being put into canon status since last season, I get the feeling that they want to creature different levels of force users or factions for the future of the franchise. Filoni has made a point of saying that Ahsoka's lightsabers are white to reflect her non-alignment to any faction. As such, even though the Inquisitors serve the Sith (Palpatine and Vader) it will be interesting to see how they distinguish the Inquisitors as not being fully Sith.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Saw this on the nerdery.

Greatest game ever.
I may need to buy a PS4 (haven't owned a console in 7 years) just for this game... whoa
YouBet
AG
After watching these gameplay videos, how the sh^t am I supposed to keep a job?

If this game is as good as advertised its going to move the needle on the divorce rate.
agracer
AG
No Midi-Chlorians!!
Duncan Idaho
Not good enough.. I want him to roll that back.

I want to hear something along the lines of "many have speculated but we still don't understand what the force is or where it comes from"
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
They could do that conceivably. No one is alive that knew about midi chlorians right? And just curious, what are the plot holes with them?
Dro07
AG
quote:
They could do that conceivably. No one is alive that knew about midi chlorians right? And just curious, what are the plot holes with them?
They (midichorians/force) run in your blood stream was in the prequel. The originals Yoda said the force was everywhere... trees, rocks and such.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Midichlorians weren't the actual force. Having more midichlorians meant the person was stronger with the force, and had a stronger ability to feel and/or manipulate it.

Not that I don't think midichlorians were dumb.
AgMarauder04
AG
Midichlorians.

Jar jar.

What the hell was he thinking?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Midichlorians.

Jar jar.

What the hell was he thinking?

He sleeps soundly at night, too. He has no regrets.
The Collective
AG
So what do we need... Some young jedi asks Luke about Midichlorians, and he LOLs at the guy.
AliasMan02
AG
You need a deleted scene/flashback of Mace and Yoda talking about Qui-Gon's insane midichlorian theory and how they just sort of humor him. Bonus points if they have this conversation while slowly walking down a hallway and then sit in a couch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can see where Lucas was coming from. He wanted to have some actual, physical reason for Anakin being so strong in the force.
AliasMan02
AG
Sure, but like so many other things, his whole take on storytelling is backwards. He knew the conclusion and then just forced the story around it, and when it made no sense, he just totally changed decades of canon to make it fit.

If the only change to the prequels was that there was no "prophecy" and Anakin was just a gifted Jedi who was seduced by the Dark Side, many of the other problems fix themselves.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For some reason, Boba Fett being a clone bothers me so much more than midichlorians. That felt forced. So did C-3PO being built by Anakin.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
For some reason, Boba Fett being a clone bothers me so much more than midichlorians. That felt forced. So did C-3PO being built by Anakin.

I just said to someone the other day that forcing Boba Fett into the movies was maybe the worst thing in the prequels.

Anakin building 3P0 is definitely way up there.
Red Five
AG
quote:

1 million times this.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

1 million times this.

I agree with this but I can at least see how someone could think these would either improve toy sales or provide a link between the movies and feed the lie that this was all planned out as one long story 40 years ago

The mitochondria...er. midichlorines and the virgin birth served no purpose at all.

There was no need to explain why Vader was any stronger in the force than anyone else....most of the time "just 'cause" is the best reason
AliasMan02
AG
Or better, he doesn't have to be stronger than everyone else. Especially not stronger by some sort of happenstance.

And actually, he wasn't even stronger. He and Obi-Wan were peers, and Kenobi defeated him. So in the end with midichlorians, you get a virgin birth for some reason, and nothing else.

Why not have Anakin just be a Jedi who pushes himself and has trouble keeping his emotions in check? He was a slave as a kid, lost his parents, lots of pain, etc. Faced with some great personal challenge that he can't overcome (orchestrated by Palpatine, even), he is seduced by the quick and easy path to power. No Force germs required.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Or better, he doesn't have to be stronger than everyone else. Especially not stronger by some sort of happenstance.

And actually, he wasn't even stronger. He and Obi-Wan were peers, and Kenobi defeated him. So in the end with midichlorians, you get a virgin birth for some reason, and nothing else.

Why not have Anakin just be a Jedi who pushes himself and has trouble keeping his emotions in check? He was a slave as a kid, lost his parents, lots of pain, etc. Faced with some great personal challenge that he can't overcome (orchestrated by Palpatine, even), he is seduced by the quick and easy path to power. No Force germs required.

Even better
double aught
AG
I agree with all that. Only thing is, Qui Gon would then need another motivation to take him and train him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Winning the podrace.
First Page Last Page
Page 152 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.