Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,220 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Red Five
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon
AG
Those are amazing
Farmer1906
AliasMan02
AG
Started watching Rebels today, and it's really good. The dialog in particular is really good. Solid banter.

The ships from Rebels are also being added to Wave VIII of the X-Wing tabletop wargame. I've mentioned the game before, but I have to say again, if you're a Star Wars fan, you'll love this game.

jabberwalkie09
AG
There are two ships in that top pictures that haven't been in the series yet that I remember. Also IIRC, that ship in the top picture, second from the right is supposed to be the same ship that Ventress was going to show up again with later in TCW. However, the series ended before that arc happened but I think Filoni commented that the ship may appear in Rebels at a later date.... Unfortunately, it will not be in Ventress' hands.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
There are two ships in that top pictures that haven't been in the series yet that I remember. Also IIRC, that ship in the top picture, second from the right is supposed to be the same ship that Ventress was going to show up again with later in TCW. However, the series ended before that arc happened but I think Filoni commented that the ship may appear in Rebels at a later date.... Unfortunately, it will not be in Ventress' hands.

The two on the far right may not, in fact, be from Rebels. The round one is Dengar's ship, and the other is Zuckuss's ship. Both are bounty hunters and part of the "Scum" faction of the game, as opposed to Rebels or Imperials.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I may have to find an IMAX theater to go to when TFA comes out.....

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/star-wars-the-force-awakens-imax-presentation-details/

quote:
I was invited by my local IMAX theatre to help install "The Force Awakens" in the IMAX projector a week upon release and I was given the complete specs of the presentation. Here are the details for what one can expect from the "true' IMAX experience of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens".

• The theaters that house a "true" eight story tall IMAX screen will present the film in actual 70MM film reel; presenting the 70MM shot scenes in its full screen glory.
  • There will be two 70MM prints running through the IMAX projector to have the film play in IMAX 3D; rest assured it's not the gimmick post converted 3D. It's what IMAX was founded on, showcasing the best and most immersive 3D ever.
  • The 70MM IMAX presentation will not play at the "gimmick" shrunk IMAX theaters. Those will showcase the standard Digital IMAX converted format.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, taking the day off work and heading to the city for this one.
Silvertaps
AG
So without asking a theater that advertises IMAX for their deminsions, how would you know "true" IMAX theaters?
jabberwalkie09
AG
And just found this over at MSW as well. EA didn't impress me with BF3 and BF4 at launch (bugs galore), and I doubt I will preorder this, but it still looks cool.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/ea-teases-star-wars-battlefront-fighter-squadrons-with-clip/
Saxsoon
AG
There are websites that show TRUE theaters. It is how I found out that the only one in Washington is about 20 minutes away in downtown Seattle. All the other ones are "fake"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty helpful link at the bottom of the article.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zLxBmgs3Es0I.kOIvw74Mhrcc
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
There are websites that show TRUE theaters. It is how I found out that the only one in Washington is about 20 minutes away in downtown Seattle. All the other ones are "fake"
This post is sooooooo asking for it.

Don't care if it is a Star Trek gif or not.
AliasMan02
AG
Good info. Definitely buying early for the Edwards Cinema on I10 in Houston.

Will anyone be seeing this in 3D? I feel like that would be wrong, somehow. JJ needs to speak up on his preferred format.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
This post is sooooooo asking for it.

Don't care if it is a Star Trek gif or not.
I actually normally don't mind that much. RPX, Digital IMAX, the Cinemark X-treme, are all pretty good.

Then I saw Dark Knight Returns at a "real" IMAX for the first time and saw how drastically different it was. The only other time I made the effort to see a movie at the real IMAX was Interstellar which was amazing. I don't have the time to make it to downtown Seattle that often and I don't get reward points at Regal.
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
The only other time I made the effort to see a movie at the real IMAX was Interstellar which was amazing.
Same with me. The real IMAX for Interstellar was incredible because so many scenes were filmed using the IMAX camera.

I'll definitely be taking off work to go to a mid-morning showing of Episode VII. Maybe I'll even go BY MYSELF.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mid-morning? Opening night or GTFO.

If it follows the pattern they've been doing all year it'll probably be showing at 7pm on thursday Dec 17th.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
While we're on the subject...

7 pm shows are much more convenient than having to wait till midnight, but I feel like they've lost a bit of the fun/excitement of opening night by doing away with midnight showings. There's something cool about having to wait until midnight to see a movie that everyone is dying to see, rather than just an ordinary evening showing. Sitting in the theater a couple of hours before the movie, seeing the really die-hard geeks doing random stuff to entertain themselves, putting on skits or whatever, was a lot of the fun of the experience for me.

I realize a lot of people aren't quite this nerdy but that's just my thoughts.
TCTTS
AG
I'm betting IMAX opens even earlier. Maybe even that Tuesday night like Paramount did with Interstellar (IMAX only Tuesday night through Thursday evening, then in regular theaters Thursday night).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was just reading that the IMAX at Lincoln Center in Manhattan will be putting in a laser projector and brand new seats in the fall. Will get to see TFA in Laser IMAX 3D projection.

So. Fing. Pumped.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hm. For any other movie, yeah, but you think JJ wouldn't prefer a simultaneous worldwide release? I feel like he'd want spoilers to remain under wraps for fans as much as possible. Once it hits theaters, it's all over.
TCTTS
AG
Saw laser projection for the first time ever this past weekend with M:I5 at the Chinese Theater. Pretty damn cool. So insanely clean, crisp and bright. Talked to a friend yesterday who saw Jurassic World in 3D there a couple weeks ago and said it was the brightest 3D he's ever seen. That's always been my biggest issue with 3D, and it sounds like laser finally addresses that.
TCTTS
AG
That's a good point. You're probably right.
YouBet
AG
I'm not sure I believe the CINEMARK IMAX in Dallas is a real one. Can someone confirm?
Malachi Constant
AG
I believe so. That's where I saw Interstellar. The guy came out and gave a little spiel before the movie about how it was the only projector capable of "true" 70mm IMAX in the Metroplex.

I always thought the IMAX at Fair Park was a "true" IMAX but I may be wrong.
Saxsoon
AG
Is it 8 stories tall? Then it is real
SpreadsheetAg
AG
So in Houston this would be:
Tomball - Silverado (15/70mm - just depends on if they get the film print, which I am not sure is supported... ugggh)
Edwards Theater (digital)

Might have to drive to San Antonio
Cannew
AG
Where does the Omni Imax in Fort Worth fit in? I assume it is true IMAX?, but they have not showed a hollywood release since last year. Hopefully they will carry Star Wars. I saw TDKR there and it was amazing.
Farmer1906
AG
Why is 70mm better than digital (4k?) ?
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Tomball - Silverado (15/70mm - just depends on if they get the film print, which I am not sure is supported... ugggh)

I'm pretty sure Moody Gardens is a true IMAX
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty sure Moody Gardens is a true IMAX
quote:
The world's first museum-based 4K 3D giant 6-Primary laser projection system will debut on the largest screen in Texas on Nov. 15.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

Damn, I was planning on the Edwards on I10.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Why is 70mm better than digital (4k?) ?
70mm is a larger film that has larger dimensions than standard film or digital projections.

I don't know if digital 4k projectors can project at those dimensions, but I assume they could be modified to do so.

In fact, (and I admit I don't really know what I'm talking about here), I would assume that a fiilm shot in 70mm and projected digitally in 4K may look better than if done using a traditional film projector.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I could've sworn Edwards Marq'e in Houston is true IMAX. (At least it was when I lived there in 2013.)
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I could've sworn Edwards Marq'e in Houston is true IMAX. (At least it was when I lived there in 2013.)

One of the large format sites claimed that it does.
First Page Last Page
Page 151 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.