Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,066,565 Views | 44215 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by redline248
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I maintain that TFA was the exact movie we needed at that point in time.

It was the first time in a long time that Star Wars truly felt like Star Wars again.
AliasMan02
AG
fig96 said:

It was the first time in a long time that Star Wars truly felt like Star Wars again.

I've always contended the same. The issue was the things it set in motion with no plan to resolve.
The Porkchop Express
fig96 said:

There's a reason why not even Endgame got within $75 million of its domestic gross!

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
fig96
AG
AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

I've always contended the same. The issue was the things it set in motion with no plan to resolve.
Looking at it as part of the new trilogy, no argument.
Flashdiaz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

this gets me every time. How the hell do you take the world's largest, most profitable media franchise and not have a plan for it? It's like having a mansion built and tell them to just go ahead and build the foundation without plans for what is going on top and we'll figure out the rest later. Such a fundamental aspect of just about any project in any industry.
jokershady
AG
fig96 said:

the first half of that movie is actually perfect
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

this gets me every time. How the hell do you take the world's largest, most profitable media franchise and not have a plan for it? It's like having a mansion built and tell them to just go ahead and build the foundation without plans for what is going on top and we'll figure out the rest later. Such a fundamental aspect of just about any project in any industry.

To be fair, Lucas never had a plan with the other trilogies, either.
bluefire579
AG
The url is a bit click-baity, but Liam Neeson thinks there's a bit too much happening with Star Wars these days

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/liam-neeson-disses-star-wars-hurt-spinoffs-1235526503/
Flashdiaz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Flashdiaz said:

AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

I know... but that's no excuse to not have a rough plan. Just because that worked once doesn't mean it was going to work again, especially in an established and highly scrutinized franchise such as Star Wars.
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

AliasMan02 said:

Flashdiaz said:

AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

I know... but that's no excuse to not have a rough plan. Just because that worked once doesn't mean it was going to work again, especially in an established and highly scrutinized franchise such as Star Wars.

Agree. I always assumed Disney would have a process for how it plans its work. I could see Lucasfilm not having that, just because it always relied on a single visionary for direction. But it seems crazy that a big corporate machine like Disney would be cool with JJ literally making up the story for TFA as he's filming it, and then walking off without a transition plan or rough outline of how it would all go.
YouBet
AG
Seems like we can debate The Last Jedi now...again?

Who wants to go first?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
It sucked. EOA.
The Porkchop Express
YouBet said:

Who wants to go first?
It was 10 times better than Avatar 2.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Rey & Luke Plot Line = Good
Rey & Kylo Plot Line = Good
Poe, Leia, Holdo Plot Line = Too Preachy/Inert
Finn & Rose Plot Line = Terrible
Luke Dying = Dumb

The good parts get better with age, while the bad parts get worse with age.

In the end, Leia should have been the one to pull the "Holdo Maneuver," going out in a blaze of glory, while Luke should have been the one to live, finally dying in Episode IX.

I think that about sums it up for me.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

Luke Dying = Dumb

In the end, Leia should have been the one to pull the "Holdo Maneuver," going out in a blaze of glory, while Luke should have been the one to live, finally dying in Episode IX.

Snoke Dying = VERY DUMB AND SCREWED UP THE WHOLE THING
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Luke Dying = Dumb

I'll go with this.

Will ask again in about 26-34 pages.
TCTTS
AG
I'm torn.

Overall, I think Snoke was a highly underutilized character who definitely needed more screen time, and a bit more backstory/motivation. And yes, all things considered, he died too early.

That said, in a vacuum, I absolutely LOVE his death *scene* and the way he dies. That whole sequence is incredible.

But again, it's a sequence that probably should have served as the climax of the trilogy, not of the second movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Luke Dying = Dumb

You missed the criticism of bombs "falling" in space!
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm torn.

Overall, I think Snoke was a highly underutilized character who definitely needed more screen time, and a bit more backstory/motivation. And yes, all things considered, he died too early.

That said, in a vacuum, I absolutely LOVE his death *scene* and the way he dies. That whole sequence is incredible.

But again, it's a sequence that probably should have served as the climax of the trilogy, not of the second movie.
redline248
AG
I can turn on TFA and watch it. I cannot do the same for the 2 movies after it. That really makes me sad and angry.
maroon barchetta
Isn't there a video showing all the unnecessary spins and kicks and flips in that fight between Rey and Ren and Snoke's guards?
TCTTS
AG
Choreography = not so great. But it was thrilling in the moment.
redline248
AG
Yes, and it's hilarious. Especially the part where the guy has Rey locked up in a strangle hold and inexplicably lets her go so she can turn and stab him with her dropped saber.

I still think that fight is cool, though.
jeffk
AG
Of all the things in the final trilogy, the force being used to teleport things bugs me the most for whatever reason.
TCTTS
AG
Same. That was just too much of a leap for me.
twilly
AG
No discussion of TLJ is complete without mentioning the utter brilliance of adding a "your mom" joke to the Star Wars universe.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
The Porkchop Express
They should have had Ackbar survive the explosion, be badly wounded, and volunteer to stay behind.

When he wheels the big ship around, he comms Leia one last time, and tells her it's been his greatest honor to fight at her side. He throws the hyperspace switch right as Hux figures it out and shouts, "It's a TRA-----"

TCTTS
AG
Damn it, that would have absolutely brought the house down.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Flashdiaz said:

AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

He had the outline of all the major beats in both trilogies.

And in particular for the prequels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

YouBet said:

Who wants to go first?
It was 10 times better than Avatar 2.

Nice try.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

AliasMan02 said:

Flashdiaz said:

AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

He had the outline of all the major beats in both trilogies.

And in particular for the prequels.

He absolutely did not for the OT. What little "plan" there was he didn't follow, so no credit given there. Very foundational elements like the Skywalker bloodline were all made up as the movies progressed.

PT had some, because it's a prequel and the ending is already set, but it so wildly departed from the OT canon and Lucas's own original vision for things like the Clone Wars that it's hard to call any of that a plan. I mean for Episode I he didn't have a first draft of a script until a couple of weeks before they started filming, not unlike JJ in TFA.

Edit to give some credit: Something Lucas did follow through from the beginning was the three part arc for the Emperor. Mentioned in 1, glimpsed in 2, big bad in 3.

But the really big things, like Vader being Luke's father is well established as being invented for Empire. Likewise Leia being Luke's sister was not the case until Jedi. Issues like the second Death Star and the Ewoks were such radical departures from any plan that Gary Kurtz quit over it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Vader being Luke's father isn't such a huge departure from what he established in ANH, to be fair.

We know that Vader was Obi-Wan's apprentice and betrayed him. We know that Luke's father was also a Jedi.

Yes, they were two separate people at first, but making them the same person isn't such a massive change from what his original outline likely was. He obviously knew Luke had to fight Vader and that Vader would have to finally defeat the Emperor.

Also I know people say there's no way he knew Leia was Luke's sister until ROTJ, but I definitely think he knew as early as ESB, what with Leia clearly having force ability to hear Luke calling out to her.

In either case, there was MUCH more of a plan for both of his trilogies than there ever was for the sequels. They literally did a 180 on Rey's backstory. First she's nobody, then she's REALLY nobody, then suddenly she's a Palpatine.

Finn was set up for great things and amounted to pretty much nothing in the end.

Snoke could've been great until he was just turned into one of countless Palp clones. Don't get me started on Palp returning and basically neutering Kylo immediately in the final movie.

I will admit, it's easy to criticize in retrospect, but I was insanely hyped before all three of those movies and I can't pretend I didn't have awesome experiences with them at the theater, in particular TFA. I'm kind of nostalgic for that era of Star Wars to be honest. Feels like so long ago now.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Vader being Luke's father isn't such a huge departure from what he established in ANH, to be fair.

We know that Vader was Obi-Wan's apprentice and betrayed him. We know that Luke's father was also a Jedi.

Yes, they were two separate people at first, but making them the same person isn't such a massive change from what his original outline likely was. He obviously knew Luke had to fight Vader and that Vader would have to finally defeat the Emperor.

Also I know people say there's no way he knew Leia was Luke's sister until ROTJ, but I definitely think he knew as early as ESB, what with Leia clearly having force ability to hear Luke calling out to her.

In either case, there was MUCH more of a plan for both of his trilogies than there ever was for the sequels. They literally did a 180 on Rey's backstory. First she's nobody, then she's REALLY nobody, then suddenly she's a Palpatine.

Finn was set up for great things and amounted to pretty much nothing in the end.

Snoke could've been great until he was just turned into one of countless Palp clones. Don't get me started on Palp returning and basically neutering Kylo immediately in the final movie.

I will easy it's easy to criticize in retrospect, but I was insanely hyped before all three of those movies and I can't pretend I didn't have awesome experiences with them at the theater, in particular TFA. I'm kind of nostalgic for that era of Star Wars to be honest. Feels like so long ago now.

What sucks is pretty much all that ST beef was done in TROS.

- Daisy was told Rey was a nobody by JJ from the start. He reneged on the deal after it was so core to the whole theme of TLJ
- Finn was done dirty by JJ from the start, a casualty of him writing the story as he went and having nowhere for Finn to really fit. Imagine being told when cast that you are the new star of Star Wars, then being so relegated. In TLJ he had a good arc (choosing a side), the only arc really there for him, but a love interest that never connected with anyone. Then TROS totally squashed him by making him Force Sensitive but never actually making that clear in the movie? Probably the character screwed the most.
- Agree on all the Snoke stuff. TROS took what Kylo did in TLJ and made it a punchline.

Bottom line is JJ wrote TROS by Googling fan theories and speculation and stuffing as many into the movie as possible. I'll probably never get over it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And for all of these reasons, TROS makes me sad. Had it stuck the landing it could've made for a pretty good trilogy where a lot of things were forgiven. Instead, it pretty much put me off that trilogy to where it just makes me sad to think about it for too long.

It's a crappy feeling to have about a franchise you love. Similar to the final season of GoT for me.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Here's a good mental exercise... What's worse, the sequel trilogy or the Christmas Special? If you could erase one from history? Which would it be?
First Page Last Page
Page 1174 of 1264

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.