Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,538 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by TCTTS
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The books aren't canon, correct?
I don't believe any of the books prior to the Disney purchase are canon. So they fall under the EU/Legends category. Some legends books are going to be produced still, but the vast majority of things coming out now, new comics and books, are building on canon. For instance Tarkin (post ROTS) came out last year, and this year we have Lords of the Sith (post ROTS) and Dark Disciple (Clone Wars era). I can't remember everything coming out as far as comics, but there are a lot being put out by Marvel, and I think most are filling in the time between ESB and ROTJ.
Kashchei
AG
quote:
Most of that is EU, so no longer applies. There is precedent that Dark Side events/people can leave an impression, like the cave on Dagobah (though we don't know what really happened there, but it shows that a place/thing can be strong in the Dark Side).

Which is what I'm still kinda upset about. They are just wiping away decades of "history" in one fell swoop.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
As before, I'm not sure what it completely canon anymore. I did not watch the Clone Wars, especially after I found out they brought Maul back (lame).

I do know that in other EU sources the Holocron is the ultimate artifact. Extremely difficult to create, it is a means of passing on knowledge. It was mainly used by Sith, but some Jedi created them as well, such as Master Bodo Baas.
I'd recommend at least giving TCW a shot. It picked up about Season 3, and got progressively better IMO until it closed up shop. All the episodes were on Netflix last I looked. I wasn't too crazy about Maul being brought back either, but was OK with how his character was handled.
redline248
AG
That's because those decades of history are often contradictory, written out of order, or are just plain dumb. There are times when Luke is more powerful after empire than he is after Jedi. It needed to be corrected.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
That's because those decades of history are often contradictory, written out of order, or are just plain dumb. There are times when Luke is more powerful after empire than he is after Jedi. It needed to be corrected.
Pretty much this.
Kashchei
AG
quote:

There are some dumb books sure, but there are plenty of gems as well, such as X-Wing and Thrawn. I will admit the EU was a mishmash and was hit or miss, but that is generally what SW is. Maybe I'm just sentimental because it was my childhood.

Where was Luke stronger after ESB?
redline248
AG
I don't remember exactly. I just remember thinking it was weird that books written in the 2000s that covered events in the original trilogy gave him stronger abilities than stuff written in the 90s covering later events. At least, that's the perception I had of some books.
AliasMan02
AG
The Thrawn series was great in its way, but have you tried to read them recently? It won't be like you remember. Plus, even these were often totally contradicted by the prequels. They also make it impossible to create new stories after Jedi. Their best legacy is some of the characters that they gave us, and those are potentially fair game.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone that LOVES Star Wars can be anything but excited about creating a unified canon and sweeping away the EU
jr15aggie
AG
Here are my night time deep thoughts on the direction of the movie having read stuff in and linked in this thread:

Generally speaking, the movie has to make sense to most people. It has to be easily explained & understood so that it can get to the point. In other words, it will have a very simple "I can see how things turned out this way" to the general audience. Nerds like us will have to rely on books n stuff for the deeper things (I know there is a book coming out soon that tells us exactly what went on after Jedi... at least in regards to the Empire/Rebels

The First Order: Much like how the Empire didn't just rise up from nothing, it converted from the Galactic Republic. All the storm troopers, star destroyers, etc. were all part of that military organization. I think the First Order is the same thing. When the rebels defeat the empire, they don't have the means to create a new entity, so they simply meld into what is already in place and go from there. Much of the military assets (people/ships) are retained to keep order. But the First Order and the "Rebels" of old are one in the same in a weird sorta way. Based on the trailer, it looks like whatever came from this union doesn't look much different than the old Empire.

This is also why "The Resistance" is a new name. Can't call them "The Rebels" because they aren't the same group... the rebels created the First Order. Most likely people like Leia are forced to choose sides. Right now I'd assume she's with the resistance, but who knows, maybe she's part of the First Order. Seems pretty obvious the galaxy didn't all of a sudden live happily ever after and this seems like a likely scenario. Hero's like Han & Luke were probably forgotten in the grand scheme of trying to put a working gov't after the fall of the Empire. And maybe they were glad to back away... that is until The Force Awakened and it's time to save the galaxy again.
mnuge
AG
Just ran across this on youtube.....didn't see it posted here. If it is...my apologies.

It's a recording of the trailer debuting this afternoon so you get the audience reaction....quality is, of course, lacking but it's cool to hear the reaction.

Trailer
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Here are my night time deep thoughts on the direction of the movie having read stuff in and linked in this thread:

Generally speaking, the movie has to make sense to most people. It has to be easily explained & understood so that it can get to the point. In other words, it will have a very simple "I can see how things turned out this way" to the general audience. Nerds like us will have to rely on books n stuff for the deeper things (I know there is a book coming out soon that tells us exactly what went on after Jedi... at least in regards to the Empire/Rebels

The First Order: Much like how the Empire didn't just rise up from nothing, it converted from the Galactic Republic. All the storm troopers, star destroyers, etc. were all part of that military organization. I think the First Order is the same thing. When the rebels defeat the empire, they don't have the means to create a new entity, so they simply meld into what is already in place and go from there. Much of the military assets (people/ships) are retained to keep order. But the First Order and the "Rebels" of old are one in the same in a weird sorta way. Based on the trailer, it looks like whatever came from this union doesn't look much different than the old Empire.

This is also why "The Resistance" is a new name. Can't call them "The Rebels" because they aren't the same group... the rebels created the First Order. Most likely people like Leia are forced to choose sides. Right now I'd assume she's with the resistance, but who knows, maybe she's part of the First Order. Seems pretty obvious the galaxy didn't all of a sudden live happily ever after and this seems like a likely scenario. Hero's like Han & Luke were probably forgotten in the grand scheme of trying to put a working gov't after the fall of the Empire. And maybe they were glad to back away... that is until The Force Awakened and it's time to save the galaxy again.
I don't think the First Order is a new government that arose from remnants of Empire and Alliance. First Order is just what came of the remains of the Empire, without an Emperor. The Alliance to Restore the Republic, commonly known as the Rebels, has now moved onto other focus. Restoring the Republic probably isn't really at the forefront of their goals, but more holding back the First Order.
Kashchei
AG
quote:
Honestly, I don't see how anyone that LOVES Star Wars can be anything but excited about creating a unified canon and sweeping away the EU

Because what if the new trilogy sucks too? I would rather have a few gems than a repeat of the prequels.

"The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away." -Tarkin
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

Because what if the new trilogy sucks too? I would rather have a few gems than a repeat of the prequels.

So what's the alternative? To make movies based on EU books? Pick and choose some of the EU to put on the big screen and what not to? How would that work?

Plus, if you enjoy the EU stuff, it's not like they're depriving you of it. It's still there.
jabberwalkie09
AG
There's also nothing keeping you from making your own personal "head canon" with the movies, series, and EU material.
Kashchei
AG
The main contradiction to canon is canon IMO! Midichlorians. WTF was Lucas thinking? Yoda and Obi-Wan explained the Force perfectly, then you bring in some stupid Force-generating cells? The EU isn't to blame for discrepancies, it's Lucas himself.
Kashchei
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

So what's the alternative? To make movies based on EU books? Pick and choose some of the EU to put on the big screen and what not to? How would that work?

Plus, if you enjoy the EU stuff, it's not like they're depriving you of it. It's still there.

I know there isn't much of an alternative, however, that still doesn't mean I can't be happy with them sweeping the EU away completely. It just added so many layers to the story that won't be conveyed in 3 new films.
Knife_Party
When I first heard they did away with the EU I was kind of pissed. After a short while, I realized they had to do it and I got excited about getting to see a Star Wars movie that would include completely new material instead of one that drew on a bunch of stuff I already knew.
Ag Since 83
AG
If Marvel and DC can pick and choose how to use decades of source material in their cinematic universes, I think Kathleen Kennedy and the people at Lucasfilm can figure out how to leverage the parts of the EU they like
Kashchei
AG
Save for Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, what new Star Wars material has been good? I have suddenly become optimistic about the new movie, but the prequels and their subsequent spinoffs have been lackluster at best.
Kashchei
AG
They just have to prove it to me.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Save for Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, what new Star Wars material has been good? I have suddenly become optimistic about the new movie, but the prequels and their subsequent spinoffs have been lackluster at best.

Apparently Rebels is "good" for a kids cartoon. I watching about three episodes and couldn't do anymore after that, but not because it was bad, it was just really, really kiddish (obviously).
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
You mean Star Wars: Samurai Jack? I watched a couple of episodes and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Have you watched TCW or Rebels? I have heard that the Tarkin novel was pretty good. Heir to the Jedi novel has gotten mixed reviews. The comics going on right now are getting pretty good reviews.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Apparently Rebels is "good" for a kids cartoon. I watching about three episodes and couldn't do anymore after that, but not because it was bad, it was just really, really kiddish (obviously).
It improved a couple of episodes before the break mid season. The finale for S1 was pretty great though. I felt like the turning point for the show was "Path of the Jedi."
Kashchei
AG
quote:
quote:
You mean Star Wars: Samurai Jack? I watched a couple of episodes and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Have you watched TCW or Rebels? I have heard that the Tarkin novel was pretty good. Heir to the Jedi novel has gotten mixed reviews. The comics going on right now are getting pretty good reviews.
Yes. Samurai Jack is considered the greatest cartoon of the 21st century; both storywise and artistically. I would love it if they made a Shadows of the Empire movie in that style.

I will have to check out the new Tarkin book.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Posted it couple pages back. No worries.
wangus12
AG
All this talk of canon and EU makes me want to go back and play the old KOTOR games
Knife_Party
I tried to the other day. Graphics were horrible compared to how I remember them being.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'd go back and play X Wing if I could. Polygons in space!
Thunder18
AG
quote:
All this talk of canon and EU makes me want to go back and play the old KOTOR games

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Best game ever. And the new bad guy looks like Revan.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
n/m
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'd go back and play X Wing if I could. Polygons in space!
GOG has both the X-wing and TIE Fighter series available for purchase.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rogue Leader for gc FTMFW!
InnerCityAg
The coloration on the alien hand leads me to believe it is none other than Jar Jar Binks himself.
FriendlyAg
quote:
The coloration on the alien hand leads me to believe it is none other than Jar Jar Binks himself.

D- troll attempt
First Page Last Page
Page 116 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.