Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,250,999 Views | 44892 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If this can keep anything near the tone/approach of Andor I am sooooooo in.
bluefire579
AG
The Collective
AG
Someone please tell me that Tony Gilroy is secretly in charge of The Acolyte.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My dream scenario is that all projects SW projects going forward go through a group consisting of Tony Gilroy, Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, and a consulting George Lucas.

Then, one of the 3 guys showruns or produces a particular project and they trade off like MCartney and Lennon used to do on songwriting duties.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

I wish. It's Leslye Headland, the showrunner of Netflix's Russian Doll. So it's at least someone who's done something unique and well-received, and is an incredible writer in general. That said, Headland is very, shall we say... outspoken... and may very well end up rubbing a certain crowd the way. I could be way off, and hope I am, but based on interviews Headland has given, I'm bracing for something very feminist in nature, and thus the reactions to it. Hopefully it's all done in an interesting, non-preachy way, though.
YNWA_AG
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is this a new announcement? Don't know why I thought they'd confirmed a February date earlier.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My dream scenario is that all projects SW projects going forward go through a group consisting of Tony Gilroy, Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, and a consulting George Lucas.

Then, one of the 3 guys showruns or produces a particular project and they trade off like MCartney and Lennon used to do on songwriting duties.

I'm afraid Gilory will be one-and-done, unfortunately. On one hand, in interviews, he's sounded like he absolutely loves the showrunner process (which he had never done before), along with the control it allows him. He's said numerous times how refreshing it is to be writing stuff he *knows* will be made, and how much he loves the collaborative process with the particular team he has on Andor.

That said, he's also sounded like someone who will be ready to move on a year and a half from now, take a long break, and then direct a film smaller in scale in again. Granted, Lucasfilm could always deliver a semi truck full of cash to his house, so nothing is out of the question. But my gut says he goes back to doing his own, smaller stuff again come 2024.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Is this a new announcement? Don't know why I thought they'd confirmed a February date earlier.

Yeah, they had previous said February, but not an exact date. March 1st is now official, though.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It was just one website throwing out February 22 and also that a new trailer would arrive on Christmas.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Jon Favreau has a writing credit for every episode of Mando Season 3.

• Season 3 Episode 1: Jon Favreau
  • Season 3 Episode 2: Jon Favreau
  • Season 3 Episode 3: Noah Kloor and Jon Favreau
  • Season 3 Episode 4: Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni
  • Season 3 Episode 5: Jon Favreau
  • Season 3 Episode 6: Jon Favreau
  • Season 3 Episode 7: Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni
  • Season 3 Episode 8: Jon Favreau

What Favreau had to say in Brazil this weekend

We like to keep surprises so that each week as we tune in, we get to discover things. Hopefully, unexpected things occur. I think it was really wonderful that everybody that worked on the show was able to keep Grogu a secret until he was revealed in the first episode. Also with Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker appearing in season 2. Not everything is gonna be a big surprise like that, but each week it should be something unexpected happening. And that's the idea of having a serialized television show where, what's nice about it compared to a film, is that every week everybody gets to see a chapter and discusses it and guesses what's gonna happen next.

I will say, though, that the scope of it is getting bigger. We have really cool space battles, we have lots of Mandalorians, we have the planet of Mandalore, which we've been talking about for a long time. We learn more about the Mandalorian culture, and of course, all the great actors that you've seen from seasons previous, many of them returned, and we get to see them all work together on this show. So it's been a very ambitious season, a lot of our directors have returned, a very experienced team that has been working on The Mandalorian for a long time. And I think that people are gonna be really excited when they see what we have in store. Hopefully, each week it will be like opening a Christmas present for everybody with surprises and something that delights them."

There was new footage shown at this event. Not sure about the validity of it, but among the reports we see

a very populated planet, possibly Coruscant, Grogu using the Force to battle a "monster in a cave", Mando's new ship evading TIE fighters, and possibly a return of Boba Fett.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Timestamped. You gotta love Keanu.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

I wish. It's Leslye Headland, the showrunner of Netflix's Russian Doll. So it's at least someone who's done something unique and well-received, and is an incredible writer in general. That said, Headland is very, shall we say... outspoken... and may very well end up rubbing a certain crowd the way. I could be way off, and hope I am, but based on interviews Headland has given, I'm bracing for something very feminist in nature, and thus the reactions to it. Hopefully it's all done in an interesting, non-preachy way, though.

A lot of people like to blame poor reception or criticism of woke or political charged franchise releases on "toxic" fandom, but the issue is that someone decided to take a franchise that existing fans were much more emotionally invested in and use it as a medium for their own personal diatribe, which usually sucks. If you want to make a statement piece on the virtues of diversity of feminism or whatever, then do it with your own ideas. About the worst thing you can do with an established franchise with a fanbase as big as SW is take something they're emotionally invested in and use it to talk down to them. The fandom isn't toxic, it's insulted.

I have a bad feeling about this...
TCTTS
AG
I agree to an extent, but I don't think it's as black and white as you're making it out to be. The fandom can certainly be justified at times, but it can *also* be objectively toxic as hell at times, too.

As for the messaging, it all depends on the execution. So many girls, moms, dads, etc absolutely LOVE Rey, because she gave young girls a lead/hero they could better-identify with, which is great. So I don't begrudge the filmmakers for making the lead of the sequel trilogy a female, if only because it opened the franchise up to a whole new audience. The problem is, while Daisy Ridley knocked the performance out of the park, most adults saw the character for what she was, somewhat of a Mary Sue who could, say, inexplicably challenge someone as skilled as Kylo Ren in her first-ever lightsaber battle. That aspect of the execution was of course dumb as hell, but I see it as a misstep in an otherwise good, well-intentioned, core idea. They just didn't know how to execute it properly.

Who knows where The Acolyte lands in that regard, all we can do is hope that they've learned from their past mistakes.
AliasMan02
AG
An advantage The Acolyte will have, as do the other shows, is a written story with beginning, middle, and end from the jump. The protagonist (or antagonist maybe, depending on how you see it) will have a complete arc through the season already written for her.

Had that simple thing existed for the sequel trilogy, even in broad strokes, 80% of the issues would have been eliminated. That's one reason the series have been so much better than what we got in the sequels.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Did anyone seriously have issues with a female lead in the sequel trilogy?

This is a series that has a classic "damsel-in-distress" who turns out to be much more a fighter than one might expect. This is a series that has a strong leader in galactic politics. The Disney-era SW even gave us a strong female rebel in Rogue One. Anyone who boohoos on Rey is likely a knuckle-dragging caveman.

We can argue about the execution of the sequel trilogy, which largely was a mess.

As for woke crap, I had only one issue with the quick shot of a gal kissing another gal at the end of The Rise of Skywalker. Injecting earth lifestyles into a galaxy far, far away reeks of political garbage, given that there were no gay characters in the previous trilogies. If you want to tell a story of gay folks in space, do it in your own damn story, not an established story with such a huge fanbase.
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

This is a series that has a classic "damsel-in-distress" who turns out to be much more a fighter than one might expect. This is a series that has a strong leader in galactic politics. The Disney-era SW even gave us a strong female rebel in Rogue One. Anyone who boohoos on Rey is likely a knuckle-dragging caveman.

We can argue about the execution of the sequel trilogy, which largely was a mess.

As for woke crap, I had only one issue with the quick shot of a gal kissing another gal at the end of The Rise of Skywalker. Injecting earth lifestyles into a galaxy far, far away reeks of political garbage, given that there were no gay characters in the previous trilogies. If you want to tell a story of gay folks in space, do it in your own damn story, not an established story with such a huge fanbase.
Maybe on their planet you kiss each other on the lips when you're happy. Way to be a planet-ist.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
maroon barchetta
bluefire579
AG
Release date announced for the sequel to Fallen Order. Should have a trailer during the Game Awards later this week (if it doesn't leak sooner)

AliasMan02
AG
bluefire579 said:

Release date announced for the sequel to Fallen Order. Should have a trailer during the Game Awards later this week (if it doesn't leak sooner)

Was just coming here to post this. Can't wait. Also, BD-1 is my all time favorite droid.

I think there's a real chance of an appearance for Cal and co. in a future anthology (Tales of the Jedi, etc.) or possibly a series. That story is uniquely fitted between some others, ranging from 13 to 9 BBY (so far). They cast a legit actor to the video game role and the survivor theme is compelling.

That said, it's often tough to translate video game characters to other media because their powers are so defined.
jeffk
AG
There's a sweet BD-1 lego set I'm hoping to snag for Xmas.
AliasMan02
AG
jeffk said:

There's a sweet BD-1 lego set I'm hoping to snag for Xmas.

I haven't built a Lego set in decades but it's on my list as well
The Collective
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Injecting earth lifestyles into a galaxy far, far away reeks of political garbage, given that there were no gay characters in the previous trilogies. If you want to tell a story of gay folks in space, do it in your own damn story, not an established story with such a huge fanbase.

What are your thoughts on this?
Quote:

The bond-twins Terec and Ceret in Marvel's Star Wars: The High Republic comics are the first trans non-binary Jedi in modern galactic lore. Using the pronouns they, them, and their as individuals, the Kotabi Jedi also share a linked mind, finishing each other's sentences and sensing each other's pain.
redline248
AG
I'll answer for him.

That's stupid
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Collective said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Injecting earth lifestyles into a galaxy far, far away reeks of political garbage, given that there were no gay characters in the previous trilogies. If you want to tell a story of gay folks in space, do it in your own damn story, not an established story with such a huge fanbase.

What are your thoughts on this?
Quote:

The bond-twins Terec and Ceret in Marvel's Star Wars: The High Republic comics are the first trans non-binary Jedi in modern galactic lore. Using the pronouns they, them, and their as individuals, the Kotabi Jedi also share a linked mind, finishing each other's sentences and sensing each other's pain.

Plenty of not good but so as to not be accused of some hogwash F16 crap I'll keep them to myself.
#FJB
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think blaming fandom has become a bit of a crutch and armor for bad writing/casting/etc. It can certainly be bad and there will always be a fringe minority of loud ***holes, but I think that is built up as a bit of a strawman to deflect from valid criticisms.

I don't think SW fans have a problem with a female lead or the concept of Rey. Leia is one of the most popular female leads/characters in cinema, and she's OG SW. Padme was another strong female lead, albeit her character got kind of jobbed in AotC and RotS. I feel like she should have gotten more screentime and development. Ahsoka has always been well received and a fan favorite. She's one of, if not the, the strongest characters in the SW universe. Jyn Erso was well received, and Mon Mothma has been as well. The SW fandom has always welcomed and appreciated strong female characters and leads. As you said, the problem was in execution, and the lazy, "Anything you can do, I can do better because GIRL POWER!" plot was what people hated. The "toxic" fandom was blamed for the poor reception though.

I hope they don't screw this up, but I also think it's very hard for a writer/director/producer who is "outspoken" to dial it back. They're the type that puts their thoughts and feelings front and center in their work because that's why they work and what tends to make their work good. Working with an established IP and franchise is the opposite though. You have to understand that your thoughts and ideas come second and it's not your own personal soapbox.

cbr
AG
I personally thought rey started out as a great character and well cast.

Then it became apparent that there was no actual character or plot, they just wanted a homeless girl luke skywalker to repeat the ep iv plot with worse everything except special effects, and then in the later movies, the only 'plot' was just random woke scenes in a steaming pile of nonsense.
sburg2007
Costco has em for $80.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Pitch Meeting: It's the first Start Wars, but Luke is a girl and Darth Vader is an angsty emo who wants to bang her over to the dark side. Also, the Death Star is back and it's bigger and badder than ever.
maroon barchetta
ABATTBQ11 said:

Pitch Meeting: It's the first Start Wars, but Luke is a girl and Darth Vader is an angsty emo who wants to bang her over to the dark side. Also, the Death Star is back and it's bigger and badder than ever.

But there is always a way to blow it up.
Saxsoon
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I can't believe you wrote earth lifestyles with a straight face. You know what else is an earth lifestyle? Leia and Han kissing

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Maybe I should have used terms like "modern" or "modern deviant" or something?

Han and Leia kissing has never been a problem.
#FJB
maroon barchetta
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Now discuss Luke and Leia.
Red Five
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Leia and Luke were separated at birth and had no idea they were siblings. Leia had no romantic feelings towards Luke, she kissed him to make Han jealous.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

In some states, this is perfectly normal.
#FJB
First Page Last Page
Page 1158 of 1283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.