Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,364 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Debt said:

Finally watched the rise of Skywalker. Can we promise never to let morons touch major IP again?

The only entertaining moment of the film was rey and corpsman fugly fighting on the hull of the death star with the waves crashing on them. It was shot well and gave you a great sense of the space. Other than that, what a terribad film.
TCTTS
AG
If you think The Last Jedi is worse than The Rise of Skywalker, I don't know what to tell you.

Neither are great, but ignoring its worse impulses, TLJ has some truly high highs, and at least has a point of view/focused plot. TROS, on the other hand, is a jumbled, schizophrenic mess of nothingness that could not have ended the saga on a worse note.
redline248
AG
But at least we got that platonic kiss
TCTTS
AG
Still can't believe that happened.
jokershady
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

jokershady said:

Definitely the weakest of the sequel trilogy that's for sure

I assume you never saw The Last Jedi
TLJ had its flaws for sure....but also had plenty of "now THATS Star Wars moments as well"

Everything between Luke and Rey...good god I wanted more of that....hell everything with Luke was pretty much dead on.

Force projection scene was great (and the build up to it between Kylo and Rey....it's subtle and I didn't notice it on the first viewing but the first time Kylo and Rey see each other through the force....while Rey is overcome with her hatred Kylo is more perplexed trying to figure out how this is happening and he says, "You can't be doing this. The effort would kill you."

Yoda was perfect

I loved every scene with Snoke

While the throne room battle choreography was pretty lousy, was still a great scene

Holdo plowing into Snokes ship

Again....there was a lot wrong with TLJ....but they got WAY more right than TRoS by a mile. TLJ at least has some appeal and re-watchability....but other than one scene or two I never have any desire to watch TRoS ever again
Ulrich
I could see myself turning on TROS someday when I'm bored. Not that it's a good movie, but more out of curiosity and not minding if I fall asleep.

It's rare for me to have actively negative feelings about a movie. Plenty are dull, or lame, or fun to make fun of, or tried but fell flat. TLJ is something worse, it's my least favorite movie by a wide margin. Such a waste. I would rather watch my second least favorite movie (Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny) back-to-back-to-back than rewatch half of TLJ.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
If they ever remake the original trilogy (and they absolutely will, someday), this is the conceit I'd really try and unpack. I love the idea of two, long-lost siblings separated at birth, both would-be Jedi, each training in their own way, on their own paths that will eventually collide, but later than they do in the OT. Maybe Luke and Leia finally meet at the end of the first movie instead of halfway through. Something like that. Kind of two movies in one; two stories that are running parallel, that finally meet in a cliffhanger of sorts leading to the second movie (which would essentially be the second half of A New Hope, and maybe you turn the OT into, say, four or five movies total instead of three).
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I'd be down for some Old Republic / Peak Jedi movies that are handled similarly to MCU... a team of Jedi being formed to fight a Sith and his apprentice. 15-20 movies with the first 10 or so being single character focused with cameos of the other team members pitching in until the team starts to form. A spat that leads the team to break up. Then the Sith reveal in move 12-15 ; some Jedi die; the group reforms with some added firepower to take on the Sith in a final showdown.

All respecting the OT laws of the force, maybe some unique powers for each Jedi - like castes - healers, energy manipulators, speed / acrobatics, fighters, thinkers / techie Jedi, force telenesis focused .... big ones, small ones, hot females, aliens, etc.

The only intergalactic politics involved being around Jedi code, etc. maybe we see how the Jedi code is formed actually... with peeks at how it's rigid dogma came to being and forrshaodwing at how the same dogma that preserved the Jedi also led to its downfall...

All set in a gritty Mandalorian style universe where people get hurt, things get dirty, ships are patched up and old looking, strange alien cultures, etc... no clean lines.
YouBet
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I'd be down for some Old Republic / Peak Jedi movies that are handled similarly to MCU... a team of Jedi being formed to fight a Sith and his apprentice. 15-20 movies with the first 10 or so being single character focused with cameos of the other team members pitching in until the team starts to form. A spat that leads the team to break up. Then the Sith reveal in move 12-15 ; some Jedi die; the group reforms with some added firepower to take on the Sith in a final showdown.

All respecting the OT laws of the force, maybe some unique powers for each Jedi - like castes - healers, energy manipulators, speed / acrobatics, fighters, thinkers / techie Jedi, force telenesis focused .... big ones, small ones, hot females, aliens, etc.

The only intergalactic politics involved being around Jedi code, etc. maybe we see how the Jedi code is formed actually... with peeks at how it's rigid dogma came to being and forrshaodwing at how the same dogma that preserved the Jedi also led to its downfall...

All set in a gritty Mandalorian style universe where people get hurt, things get dirty, ships are patched up and old looking, strange alien cultures, etc... no clean lines.

You hooked me right here.

Edit: can we have one of them be Ortega from Altered Carbon? I just finished S1 last night and I think I'm in love with her.
CoachRTM
AG
The Last Jedi movie was a big bag of meh to me. There were some good parts, and I understand what he was trying to do, but Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder pissed me off. Like, put me in a bad mood for the rest of the movie level pissed off.

The Rise of Skywalker wasn't great, but Abrams was forced into a corner with a bunch of mis-managed s*** that he had to wrap up with only 2+ hours to do it. Rian Johnson taking a left turn (that's what it seems like anyway) on some of the plot points in the second movie ruined the whole trilogy to me because it basically forced the third movie to be a hodge-podge of story wrap up.

I cannot believe they didn't have an ironed out 3-movie plot before they started filming the most high potential trilogy of all time. 3 random posters from this thread could have done a better job making a well thought out plot from start to finish.
YouBet
AG
CoachRTM said:

The Last Jedi movie was a big bag of meh to me. There were some good parts, and I understand what he was trying to do, but.

1. Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder pissed me off. Like, put me in a bad mood for the rest of the movie level pissed off.
2. Rose's character was poorly written. I don't think the actress did a bad job, I just did not enjoy the character.

The Rise of Skywalker wasn't great, but Abrams was forced into a corner with a bunch of mis-managed s*** that he had to wrap up with only 2+ hours to do it. Rian Johnson taking a left turn (that's what it seems like anyway) on some of the plot points in the second movie ruined the whole trilogy to me,. because it basically forced the third movie to be a hodge-podge of story wrap up.

I cannot believe they didn't have an ironed out 3-movie plot before they started filming the most high potential trilogy of all time. 3 random posters from this thread could have done a better job making a well thought out plot from start to finish.
I think we already have in posts a while back.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Which is worse, the Rey/Ben kiss or the Finn/Rose kiss?

That's a tough call for most awkward and unwanted kisses in movie history.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First of all, they'll never remake the OT.

But this would be a cool alternate take. Sounds very Jon/Dany in GoT. (Except hopefully not finishing their storyline terribly.)

Man, that just made me realize how much it sucks that two of my favorite properties of all time both ended in incredibly disappointing fashion...

(Angry face was accidental)
redline248
AG
Quote:

(Angry face was accidental)
...and yet, totally approrpiate
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Finn/Rose simply because that entire dynamic was so forced and unnecessary. There was at least some semblance of buildup to the other one.
Chipotlemonger
AG
After seeing Knives Out from Johnson, I see some of why he did certain things the way he did in TLJ.

That being said, I did not love Knives Out like other people seem to, and I fully agree with your take that his left turns in TLJ caused the cluster we got in TROS. Seems to be his style.

Wish we could've gotten the "3 Random TexAgs Posters" trilogy instead.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Finn/Rose was my least favorite plot decision of TLJ. It really soured and pretty much ruined the entire last sequence of the movie for me.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

First of all, they'll never remake the OT.

I would bet literally any amount of money that not only the OT, but the PT as well, will be remade at some point in the next 20 to 30 years. It's too valuable a franchise, and too iconic of a story, not to keep milking it/recycling it. Especially the better theaters and special effects get, and we've settled on whatever the next iteration of theater-going is (like, say, glasses-less 3D or whatever). In combination with streaming, it'll be some massive, multi-platform redo for a new generation.
Chipotlemonger
AG
T&P for whoever they get to play Han with the expectations people will have for that.

That being said, if some actor took that and knocked it out of the park, they would be set for good.
Ulrich
YouBet said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Finn/Rose simply because that entire dynamic was so forced and unnecessary. There was at least some semblance of buildup to the other one.

I personally really liked that Rose invalidated Finn's character arc and risked the fate of the galaxy for a soulless peck on the lips to cap off an entirely inert relationship.
JCRiley09
AG
Y'all think it would be a scene for scene redo like Disney has been doing with live action? Or a retelling so they avoid too many comparisons?
TCTTS
AG
Retelling/re-imagining. Same basic story, but probably more detailed and drawn out.
JCRiley09
AG
Let's make each episode it's own trilogy ala hobbit
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

Retelling/re-imagining. Same basic story, but probably more detailed and drawn out.

What really would suck about this though, is so much of what worked in the OT and what made it the juggernaut it is in movie history and storytelling. There were a lot of parts left to the viewer's own imaginations. Not everything was beaten over your head as a viewer.
TCTTS
AG
True. I'm just speculating, though. Who knows how they'd really do it. I just know it'd likely be different enough as to justify it.
jokershady
AG
They'll remake the PQ and retcon the SQ long......long.....LONG BEFORE they do anything with the OT.

It's already been proven what Lucas did with constantly editing the OT did nothing but piss off the fan base and re-doing it would be an epic backlash and a force more powerful than you can possibly imagine
TCTTS
AG
George Lucas will be dead in 20 years and the "fan base" will mostly be geezers in 30 years. Ascribing today's/yesterday's Star Wars fanboy culture to the world 20-30 years from now is pointless.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

George Lucas will be dead in 20 years and the "fan base" will mostly be geezers in 30 years. Ascribing today's/yesterday's Star Wars fanboy culture to the world 20-30 years from now is pointless.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Not if we all teach our kids the correctness of the OT, and they do likewise with their own kids, and so on.

I hope to never see a remake/reimagining of the OT, or even the PT. The ST should be jettisoned and replaced with a trilogy that someone puts complete thought into before a single frame of film is shot.
redline248
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

Not if we all teach our kids the correctness of the OT, and they do likewise with their own kids, and so on.

I hope to never see a remake/reimagining of the OT, or even the PT. The ST should be jettisoned and replaced with a trilogy that someone puts complete thought into before a single frame of film is shot.
There aren't enough of us. Tons of kids growing up right now without adequate knowledge of the original trilogy, and a bunch of casuals who might only know the sequel trilogy who won't be raising their future kids on Star Wars.
YouBet
AG
I don't want the OT remade. And I don't think you can remake the PT. There is entirely too much canon material associated with both OT and PT to start over.

ST can be purged easily at this point. When they reboot that, you could start it with Luke waking up in a bacta tank and realized he dreamed the entirety of the ST.
TCTTS
AG
Guys. They're NEVER going to leave the OT/PT intact, but redo only the ST. That scenario is completely untethered from reality. The closest thing we'll get to a new ST is whatever The Mandalorian and its spin-offs are leading to.

But I promise you, at some point, they'll remake the entire saga over again from scratch, across both film and streaming. The industry has already/essentially accepted this an inevitability. The world will be a vastly different place in 20-30 years, and the way in which we cherish the OT will be something mostly only old people and film buffs hold on to.

In 2047, Star Wars will be 70 YEARS OLD. There's not a chance in hell it isn't remade in that time.
redline248
AG
...but why? I know, I know... Money and all that.

But this isn't really like Tolkien laying out the full history of the world. There is so much to explore in a galaxy far, far away before rebooting the originals. I agree it probably will happen, but I wish it wouldn't.
cbr
AG
If they redid everything BUT the original it would be great.

If you took 30% of the garbage out of the prequels and made them not look like cartoons, it could be a great story

If you just threw out the recent bull**** you could make a good ending.

As far as redoing the originals, i expect it will be the first series to actually redo itself using digital recreations of the original actors with some new effects and a few scenes here and there.
First Page Last Page
Page 1039 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.